Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 12-20-2011, 10:35 AM   #1
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default Before I get overwhelmed...

Before I get overwhelmed with the preparations for the multitude of services this next two weeks, I thought I'd write this note.

I am a Lutheran-Christian pastor, so this is not intended to slight anybody. If you would be offended by something with blatantly religious content, read no further. However, I would like to think that you will be glad if you do.

I'd wish you season's greetings, but that would mean that I wish you the things that come with the season for winter (back-breaking snow to shovel, ice, sleet, bitter cold, and the cold and flu "season"), and I don't really desire you to be "blessed" with those things. I could say happy holidays, but I would really be saying, "I'm going to say something generic in the hopes of not offending you - I don't mean anything when I say it, it just sounds nice and I hope it makes you feel good."

I'd also like to wish people the blessings of their given beliefs, but that would be disingenuous of me for I do not believe in those things (eg., if my Jewish friends wish me Merry Christmas it would in that same manner be disingenuous). MJ wished my Happy Hanukkah last night, and it was great - he meant it and I took it as his best wishes for me.

So, I'd like to wish you a Merry Christmas, but before I do, I think it best to explain what that Christmas blessing/wish means to me?

At Christmas, I pause to consider the first present given on Christmas, God's gift of His Son to take on human flesh and die for my sins so that I might have forgiveness and eternal life in His kingdom. And, as I ponder the love it would take to for a loving Father to make such a sacrifice of His only Son, I am humbled. It is a Christmas gift of God's love for me, even though I have not deserved or earned it.

As I have been loved, so I am moved by that love... From that love, so I desire to love others. There are too many times and days where I have failed at this miserably. I have been rude and short-tempered at times. I may have said things or done things that hurt others. If you have been on the receiving end of my sinfulness, please forgive me.

I would like to love you all with that same self-sacrificial love given me as a Christmas gift, and pray that you will know that peace that keeps my heart and mind.

So, that is what I mean when I say...

I wish you all a Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas!!!
Old 12-20-2011, 10:36 AM   #2
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future
Default Re: Before I get overwhelmed...

Merry Christmas Todd andall at CA
Old 12-20-2011, 10:44 AM   #3
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Merry Christmas to all. I do agree that it doesn't in any way offend me when someone tells me Happy Hannukah or similar, because as you have pointed out Rev it is their absolute best that they have to offer as it is my very best I have offer when I say Merry Christmas.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:51 AM   #4
Doctorossi
Have My Own Room

Trading: (8)
Punch
Doctorossi will become famous soon enoughDoctorossi will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
I'd wish you season's greetings, but that would mean that I wish you the things that come with the season for winter (back-breaking snow to shovel, ice, sleet, bitter cold, and the cold and flu "season"), and I don't really desire you to be "blessed" with those things.
Do you only imagine unpleasantness comes with winter? Sometimes I look out the window at a drifting snowfall and find it very pretty. Occasionally, carolers will come to my door and it brings a smile to my face. I'm sorry to hear that "season's greetings" means nothing to you but slush and black ice.

Quote:
I could say happy holidays, but I would really be saying, "I'm going to say something generic in the hopes of not offending you - I don't mean anything when I say it, it just sounds nice and I hope it makes you feel good."
When I say 'happy holidays' to a stranger, I mean "I don't know which holidays you celebrate, but I'm glad to see you and I wish you the best, regardless".

Quote:
I'd also like to wish people the blessings of their given beliefs, but that would be disingenuous of me for I do not believe in those things (eg., if my Jewish friends wish me Merry Christmas it would in that same manner be disingenuous).
Is it required that one share 100% of another's beliefs and hopes in order to wish them success in their desires? I'm not big into fishing, but I'm happy and sincere to wish you a fine catch in yours.

Quote:
MJ wished my Happy Hanukkah last night, and it was great - he meant it and I took it as his best wishes for me.
There you go- it's not that difficult!

Quote:
I wish you all a Merry Christmas!
And a very merry Christmas to you, as well!
Old 12-20-2011, 10:58 AM   #5
larryinlc
Angry Packer Fan

First Name: Larry
Trading: (15)
larryinlc has disabled reputation

Merry Christmas from another Lutheran. Luther High Class of 1974.

Larry
larryinlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:08 AM   #6
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

Merry Christmas Brother!!!!!
Old 12-20-2011, 11:23 AM   #7
Eleven
Solid As The Sun

First Name: Scott
Trading: (23)
Eleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura about

Merry Christmas!

CA: putting the 'man' in bromance since 2008! --markem.
Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:34 AM   #8
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Happy Holidays!

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:40 AM   #9
Dave128
Sexy Dave

First Name: Dave
Trading: (4)
Dave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really nice

Merry Christmas!
Old 12-20-2011, 11:40 AM   #10
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Merry Christmas!
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:46 AM   #11
Jasonw560
PhD from Sarcastic State

First Name: Jason
Trading: (0)
Jasonw560 is on a distinguished road

Merry Christmas from yet another Lutheran!!
Old 12-20-2011, 11:50 AM   #12
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

Great post, Rev! And, it can only offend those that chose to be offended.

Merry Christmas.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:57 AM   #13
jledou
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jay
Trading: (27)
Punch
jledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura about

Merry Christmas Rev and good luck with all of the services!
jledou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:09 PM   #14
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

Trading: (79)
PL
Mr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really nice

Thanks Todd!! Well said.

Merry Christmas.
And there came a voice to him: “Rise, Peter; kill and eat.” Acts 10:13
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:11 PM   #15
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Merry Christmas to you and yours Todd.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:31 PM   #16
SteelCityBoy
7th Heaven Will Commeth!!

First Name: Ken
Trading: (21)
Bolivar
SteelCityBoy has a spectacular aura aboutSteelCityBoy has a spectacular aura about

Merry Christmas back at ya Todd! This is the perfect time of the year for all to stop, reflect, and be thankful. Too many people don't and get lost in the true meaning of Christmas. Thanks for taking the time to write this...
SteelCityBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 01:14 PM   #17
Mattso3000
Will ninja for beer

First Name: Matt
Trading: (20)
HdM
Mattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the rough

Merry Christmas Todd!
Mattso3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 01:44 PM   #18
AlohaStyle
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (40)
AlohaStyle will become famous soon enough

Quote:

I'd also like to wish people the blessings of their given beliefs, but that would be disingenuous of me for I do not believe in those things (eg., if my Jewish friends wish me Merry Christmas it would in that same manner be disingenuous). MJ wished my Happy Hanukkah last night, and it was great - he meant it and I took it as his best wishes for me.
First of all, Merry Christmas to you too.

I know above is just your opinion so there is no right or wrong, but do you really think it's disingenuous if your friends of other faith wish you a Merry Christmas? Wow that's kind of sad. Even if I don't have the same beliefs of someone, I regularly wish my friends something and mean it. I know quite a few people that believe in something other than I do, but if I am talking to them, I will gladly wish them accordingly and mean it. I wouldn't wish them Merry Christmas if they don't believe it, I will wish them what they believe. That is not a reflection of my beliefs, but a reflection of my friendship towards them.
AlohaStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 02:37 PM   #19
Volusianator
Bikes, Babes & Cigars!

First Name: Wade
Trading: (17)
SCdlH
Volusianator has a spectacular aura aboutVolusianator has a spectacular aura about

Todd, merry Christmas to you as well my friend.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:48 PM   #20
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Happy Hanukkah!