Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Health and Fitness

Old 06-23-2011, 07:00 AM   #1841
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Losing Weight with Starscream

Bfast looks good Myles.

Jeff, I may have to look into getting a Wii and the fitness program. Maybe use it as a supplement to my other exercise programs. I can see that being really good in the winter when it's too nasty outside to go for a walk.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:04 AM   #1842
guado
OCD cigar hoarder

Trading: (4)
Partagas
guado will become famous soon enoughguado will become famous soon enough

maintaining at 216lbs so far. Did crossfit yesterday with some friends. This morning...I am quite sore! LOL
Old 06-23-2011, 07:06 AM   #1843
guado
OCD cigar hoarder

Partagas
guado will become famous soon enoughguado will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgop View Post
This is called orthostatic hypotension. It gets more common as you get older (not saying you're old) and is a typical side effect of some medications, but it's just something you need to be leery of when standing up so you don't drop. My advice-stand up slowly and maybe have something to prop yourself up against momentarily while your blood pressure stabilizes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthostatic_hypotension
I just read this. This has happened to me since I was in High School. My BP usually runs 106/64 ish...but can be lower. Seems like everytime I get up fast I have to hold something and just wait a few seconds then move on...it SUX!
Old 06-23-2011, 07:22 AM   #1844
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
Jeff, I may have to look into getting a Wii and the fitness program. Maybe use it as a supplement to my other exercise programs. I can see that being really good in the winter when it's too nasty outside to go for a walk.
I figured it would be a good start as most of the aerobic stuff is low-impact. I dunno at this weight how my knees and ankles would hold up if I started running.
The Super Hula-Hoop alone is a great spare tire killer. I'm already seeing a difference in how my pants fit.
If you check amazon.com, they run sales on the WFP bundle fairly often.
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 07:49 AM   #1845
goalie204
Have My Own Room

First Name: Myles
Trading: (12)
Bolivar
goalie204 will become famous soon enoughgoalie204 will become famous soon enough

for those of you considering getting into weights that aren't already (and the reason i mention this, is its something im considering) - they say for whatever muscle you add to your body, your body needs to burn more calories to "feed" the muscle, therefore, putting on muscle will supposedly help increase calorie burning, and help one lose weight. Some great exercises without weights to work big muscles in the body are pushups, crunches and squats, im going to start doing these again, and maybe buy some dumb bells too! Combined with walking and my new lifestyle eating, i should be able to lose 5000 lbs a day!
goalie204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:39 AM   #1846
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreth View Post
So, on my night off, I usually stay up most of the night so my sleep doesn't get out of whack. Since I was already up, I decided to fire up the Wii and take a crack at my first hour-long strength/yoga workout.
My first bit of good news, I managed not to gain on my day off, despite eating a bit of Ben & Jerry's! Of course, I had much less than my usual pint...
As for the workout, I had WFP pick a random mix of strength and yoga. A few exercises I struggled with: tree pose, jacknife, and my 3rd set of push-up/side plank. Great workout, though. I was sweating just as much as my usual aerobics.
Posted via Mobile Device
Maybe it's just me, but I love doing side planks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
Bfast looks good Myles.

Breakfast does look good. Sausage omelet here.

If you do get a Wii, check out NFL Training Camp. I love it! Comes with it's own heart rate monitor, links up to the EA Sports Active site where you can check your goals, times, heartrate max and average, and countless other things. You can pick it up for about $30. Very cheap for a video game package like that.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:09 PM   #1847
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Ok, I tried out the yoga on Wii Fit Plus. Did all 18 that I have opened for 36 minutes. Worked up a sweat but if just felt to darn easy. Tried a yoga vid on Netflix and gave up after 10 min.

Wound up doing an hour total on Wii Fit today. Not bad. Worked up a good sweat and my meals over the past few days have been on track too. Now that I'm out for the summer, I think I'll be able to get in a lot more exercise.

Insert quote here.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:22 PM   #1848
Kreth
Ronin smoker

Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
Maybe it's just me, but I love doing side planks.
It was the push-ups that were killing me. Having to keep your hands on the board was very cramped for me. Plus I was sweating like crazy, so I kept thinking my hands were going to slip.
Quote:
Ok, I tried out the yoga on Wii Fit Plus. Did all 18 that I have opened for 36 minutes. Worked up a sweat but if just felt to darn easy. Tried a yoga vid on Netflix and gave up after 10 min.
I like the yoga for stretching, especially back stretches like sun salutation and downward-facing dog. I try to focus on posture and maintaining my COB.

Last edited by Kreth; 06-23-2011 at 03:29 PM.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:15 PM   #1849
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreth View Post
It was the push-ups that were killing me. Having to keep your hands on the board was very cramped for me. Plus I was sweating like crazy, so I kept thinking my hands were going to slip.

I like the yoga for stretching, especially back stretches like sun salutation and downward-facing dog. I try to focus on posture and maintaining my COB.
I can stay in the circle, but it's hard to stay in the exact center for most of the yoga exercises.

Insert quote here.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:18 PM   #1850
jonumberone
Raw Dog

First Name: Dom
Trading: (62)
RA
jonumberone has disabled reputation

I told my wife I want to do the downward facing dog.
She said that she has a headache.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:23 PM   #1851
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonumberone View Post

Insert quote here.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:16 PM   #1852
Kreth
Ronin smoker

Quote:
I can stay in the circle, but it's hard to stay in the exact center for most of the yoga exercises.
I hear that, especially stuff like Tree.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-23-2011, 06:26 PM   #1853
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonumberone View Post
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:37 PM   #1854
forgop
Not a puffer

forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

Ok gents, I think I'm down for starting up Atkins tomorrow. I already have 9 racks of baby backs sitting out of the freezer to fire up in the smoker tomorrow. Don't even want to step on the scale tomorrow, but I guess I'll just hafta do it.

Talking with my nurse practitioner at school about the binge eating of sorts over the years and one thing she suggested doing was a food journal (which we've all done), but also including emotion/state of mind into it. It will help you identify patterns of what types of foods you are using for coping/soothing of sorts rather than eating what you need to get by.

Something else she mentioned was that a McD's happy meal today was the equivalent of the adult servings something like 50 years ago. Look forward to today where a big mac combo with large fries/drink sets you back 1350 calories compared to the happy meal at 640 calories.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:45 PM   #1855
goalie204
Have My Own Room

First Name: Myles
Trading: (12)
Bolivar
goalie204 will become famous soon enoughgoalie204 will become famous soon enough

no sauce on the ribs cuz bbq sauce has tonnes of sugar if you're starting atkins :P
goalie204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:58 PM   #1856
forgop
Not a puffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalie204 View Post
no sauce on the ribs cuz bbq sauce has tonnes of sugar if you're starting atkins :P
I know-you also have to watch the rubs because a lot of them will use sugar as well. Although sauce makes it even more da bomb, I'm content eating smoked ribs/pulled pork without any sauce.

This probably won't be my long term plan though-probably will switch to weight watchers after I get through a huge supply of pork that's in the freezer now to make more room for fish/chicken.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:00 PM   #1857
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
I know-you also have to watch the rubs because a lot of them will use sugar as well. Although sauce makes it even more da bomb, I'm content eating smoked ribs/pulled pork without any sauce.

This probably won't be my long term plan though-probably will switch to weight watchers after I get through a huge supply of pork that's in the freezer now to make more room for fish/chicken.
You could always do both. Just be ready for the new points plus system which is ok, but I'm still not liking it as much as the old way.

Insert quote here.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:08 PM   #1858
forgop
Not a puffer

Quote:
You could always do both. Just be ready for the new points plus system which is ok, but I'm still not liking it as much as the old way.
I did WW back in 2002 and really liked their point system then. Today, not so much. They have to change it all of the time though-it's marketing to help them gain more members.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:14 PM   #1859
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
I did WW back in 2002 and really liked their point system then. Today, not so much. They have to change it all of the time though-it's marketing to help them gain more members.
I thought this was the first change they made (other than fiber) to the system in forever.

They took calories out of the points equation all together, and most fruit and green veggies are all zero points no matter how much you eat.

Insert quote here.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:26 PM   #1860
forgop
Not a puffer

Quote:
I thought this was the first change they made (other than fiber) to the system in forever.

They took calories out of the points equation all together, and most fruit and green veggies are all zero points no matter how much you eat.
I think it's a major flaw though-look at how many carbs/calories you could eat in your diet though. It's obviously healthier food as a whole, but it still goes back to the whole calories in must be lower than calories out to lose weight.