Old 05-01-2010, 04:38 PM   #1821
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

First Name: Mike
Trading: (53)
HUpmann
Ahbroody has disabled reputation
Default Re: NHL '09 - '10 Thread

Look I have already said why and also shown in video that some of your comments were not accurate. They played for near 20 minutes after the goal and had a PP. They didnt get it done. I am done discussing this with you. I have said already why its a crutch comment.

As to todays action The B's take game 1 in OT and both goalies of what I saw looked very average out there. Who ever emerges will likely be easy pickings for the Pens. With all that the Pens look poised to possible lift the cup again. I dont see the Habs knocking them out. I wouldnt mind seeing a Pens Bruins conf final. There would be some good hate in that series and who knows who gets taken out.

Is it 5pm Pacific time yet? I want to watch this nucks Hawks series more then the Sharks Wings. This thing has the potential to be epic. Maybe instead of pulling hair dude will go full cat fight and scratch his eyes. Do we see a fight in game one? I am leaning towards yes and big Buff just tormenting the stash.
Old 05-01-2010, 05:07 PM   #1822
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

http://news.therecord.com/article/629923
was thinking about this kid the other day and found this article.

for those of you with kids, if they were good enoug would you want them to play college hockey or major jrs and why?

I lean towards college because they get an education.
Old 05-01-2010, 05:15 PM   #1823
Bruins Fan
Hooper drives the boat.

First Name: John
Trading: (0)
RyJ
Bruins Fan will become famous soon enoughBruins Fan will become famous soon enough

Go Bruins, the overtime period was awesome
Old 05-01-2010, 06:24 PM   #1824
Captain Crunch
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Geoffrey
Cohiba AirForce (Served With Honor)
Captain Crunch is on a distinguished road

Gosh I hate the Red Wings! Go Sharks. I can't believe the Capitals are out, I thought they would be raising the Stanley Cup this year
Old 05-01-2010, 07:01 PM   #1825
GHC_Hambone

Not such a good first period for the Hawks. Hopefully they will pick it up.

Old 05-01-2010, 07:19 PM   #1826
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

it just got worse. Yikes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-01-2010, 07:32 PM   #1827
Eleven
Solid As The Sun

First Name: Scott
Trading: (23)
Eleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahbroody View Post

for those of you with kids, if they were good enoug would you want them to play college hockey or major jrs and why?

My son's coach's entire philosophy is to gear the boys for Junior or College hockey. He follows the ADM (American Development Model supplied by USA Hockey). He grew up and played Junior hockey in Sweden, and says their development program is very similar to the ADM.

Our boys are all 1998 birth years, which makes them Peewee Majors next season. Last season they played Tier II hockey and ended up the year ranked 11th in the USA.

All in all, we would rather he play college hockey, for the overall experience. We know the odds of any given kid to make the NHL, but getting a college scholarship is much more in reach.

Junior players usually live with host families, and serve 'community service' for the opportunity to play Junior hockey. My kids team switched organizations for next year and this new organization utilizes its Junior A players to help out with coaching the elite level youth teams as part of their community service.

They both have rewards I am sure, but I think College is the way to go unless you are a superstar like Crosby, which we all know only happens once in a generation or so.

CA: putting the 'man' in bromance since 2008! --markem.
Old 05-01-2010, 09:01 PM   #1828
dabigdog

Good game tonite!! Go cAnucks!!!

Old 05-01-2010, 10:46 PM   #1829
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabigdog View Post
Good game tonite!! Go cAnucks!!!
I really don't think the Hawks could have had a worse game. They lost home ice, got beat badly, now have a goalie controversy, and outside of when they opened it up in the 3rd didn't have many chances. The stash played wel in net.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleven View Post
My son's coach's entire philosophy is to gear the boys for Junior or College hockey. He follows the ADM (American Development Model supplied by USA Hockey).

All in all, we would rather he play college hockey, for the overall experience. We know the odds of any given kid to make the NHL, but getting a college scholarship is much more in reach.

Junior players usually live with host families, and serve 'community service' for the opportunity to play Junior hockey.

They both have rewards I am sure, but I think College is the way to go unless you are a superstar like Crosby, which we all know only happens once in a generation or so.

today I was talking to Scott Nichols wife about this topic. She met Scott while he was playing jrs. She said no way would she let her son live with a host family. In her experience there was a lot of partying that occurs and it can not be good if the young man follows the group. I think it's great you are seeing a lot more high level players take the college route.
Old 05-02-2010, 12:55 PM   #1830
Captain Crunch
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Geoffrey
Cohiba AirForce (Served With Honor)
Captain Crunch is on a distinguished road

What a fluke, the Boston Bruins lucked out with that OT goal... anyone but the Red Wings, and Blackhawks--sorry Icehog, still dislike the B-hawks after the brutual rivarly with my beloved North Stars!
Old 05-02-2010, 01:03 PM   #1831
p@rick

New to the forum so I am just throwing it out there: GO WINGS!!! Wings v Penns in the finals. Penns win in 6.

Old 05-02-2010, 02:46 PM   #1832
hockeydad
Just in from the Storm

hockeydad is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I don't post lately but thought I'd jump in here. In the OHL teams will pay for a kids education after they have graduated(so to speak). If a player does 3 years with a team they will pay for 3 years education. It would definitely depend on the maturity level of the kid. Can you imagine a 16 year old kid in Sudbury without his family? A lot of kids who play university hockey in Ontario have already played in the O.
There are players here in St. Catharines who play Junior B until their scholarships start in NCAA. Here is a boy that played here. http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/A...aspx?e=2558394
They can get into trouble wherever they go.
Old 05-02-2010, 03:41 PM   #1833
ahc4353

I would want my kids to play college. Why? If your good enough to make the show it really doesent matter where you play (other than visability). And when your playing days are over you will still need that education to to make a living.

Old 05-02-2010, 04:36 PM   #1834
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahc4353 View Post
I would want my kids to play college. Why? If your good enough to make the show it really doesent matter where you play (other than visability). And when your playing days are over you will still need that education to to make a living.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleven View Post
Eleven and Al prety much sum up my thoughts.... Though I am not too worried that we will be having to make that difficult decision...... If we did, I'd consider it fortunate....

My 13 year old.....playing D for his High School JV team this Summer....
Old 05-02-2010, 06:25 PM   #1835
jmsremax
Yet another Masshole

First Name: Jon
Trading: (19)
jmsremax will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.J. View Post

Very nice! My folks wouldn't play ice hockey when I was young so for my 11th b-day they got me street hockey gear.

Still my favorite sport then lacrosse which I played 4 years of high school. I miss it a lot. Hope your son does well during the regular season!
Old 05-02-2010, 06:49 PM   #1836
SmokeyJoe
Chief Wannastogie Lounge

First Name: Joe
Trading: (28)
VR
SmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud of

Montreal looked great today against the Pens... Can they continue to defy the odds?

Enjoyed Detroit v San Jose. Kinda pulling for the Sharks - I was born not far from San Jose.

Only thing that would make this time of year better would be my Hurricanes in the mix.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:19 PM   #1837
jmsremax
Yet another Masshole

First Name: Jon
Trading: (19)
jmsremax will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyJoe View Post
Montreal looked great today against the Pens... Can they continue to defy the odds?

Enjoyed Detroit v San Jose. Kinda pulling for the Sharks - I was born not far from San Jose.

Only thing that would make this time of year better would be my Hurricanes in the mix.
I'm not much of a fan of the hurricanes...especially after what they did to the B's last year.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:48 PM   #1838
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.J. View Post
Eleven and Al prety much sum up my thoughts.... Though I am not too worried that we will be having to make that difficult decision...... If we did, I'd consider it fortunate....

awesome pic, I'm such a gear whore. I see he is wearing a Plexi shield. Micah wears one but he and one other boy in the league were the only ones. Everyone else had cages. Love the Grafs, the pattern looks like Supra 605's but the colors are reversed. Just grabbed Micah a pair of Supra 370's from back east, going to come in this week. Its his first pair of Graf's hoping they fit. By the look of the gear, Eagle gloves, Graf skates, plexi shield (preference I know) looks like he is more about comfort on the ice then flash.

Micah starts summer league on Saturday, got 1 whole week off.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:58 AM   #1839
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
awesome pic, I'm such a gear whore. I see he is wearing a Plexi shield. Micah wears one but he and one other boy in the league were the only ones. Everyone else had cages. Love the Grafs, the pattern looks like Supra 605's but the colors are reversed. Just grabbed Micah a pair of Supra 370's from back east, going to come in this week. Its his first pair of Graf's hoping they fit. By the look of the gear, Eagle gloves, Graf skates, plexi shield (preference I know) looks like he is more about comfort on the ice then flash.

Micah starts summer league on Saturday, got 1 whole week off.
Thanks.... I have become his personal photographer... After every game he is asking for the pics....

Yea, he wanted the plexi shield shortly after starting(maybe year 2), just came to me and said he wanted "one of those clear masks" or something to that effect. They are few and far between here as well. Maybe 1 in 10 at best, probably not even that. I thought there may be fogging issues, but it has not been much of an issue.

The skates are G5's.... They have the Limited color scheme, which probably threw you off.

I hear you Mike....it is just a year round thing now. When I was a kid, I did whatever sport was in season and really didn't have a choice, that is just how things worked. Other than camps ect, that may allow you to play something different in the Summer for a week or 2, it was 100% seasonal. Now kids are given the choice of all the sports as their seasons come and go, most have year round access.... That is something that was not an option for me. Truthfully, I am not sure if it is a good thing....

The Little Man has done it all, but now just plays hockey....one season just rolls into the next.....

Continued success to Micah.... Sounds like he is excelling at a young age, that is great for his confidence and will expand exponentially IMO.

Add: Of every sport(like I said, we have done it all), hockey is BY FAR the most fun to be a parent. Not only the game, which is far superior to be a spectator at....but the community. That must make up for the financial end, which has to be the worst.....

I apologize for the hi-jack
Old 05-03-2010, 02:04 PM   #1840
mithrilG60
Feeling at Home

First Name: Geoff
Trading: (2)
Cuaba
mithrilG60 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeydad View Post
I don't post lately but thought I'd jump in here. In the OHL teams will pay for a kids education after they have graduated(so to speak). If a player does 3 years with a team they will pay for 3 years education.
The WHL does the same, but I believe it's actually 4 years. Not too bad a deal, play 4 full years of junior and then if you don't make it up to the NHL your undergrad is paid for.
Closed Thread