Old 04-28-2010, 11:45 PM   #1781
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: NHL '09 - '10 Thread

Not a single night without hockey, Sharks - Wings tomorrow night. It has been the only sanity-saving grace besides CA and cigars since I have been off work. Looking forward to what should be an awesome series!

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 04-29-2010, 12:52 AM   #1782
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Blackhawk playoff tickets went on sale for potential rounds 3 and 4 this morning. It was absolutely insane trying to connect to the Ticketmaster site, all the brokers must have had things tied up but good. Hoped to score tickets for 3 or 4 games, LOL...ended up with one, and a longshot to boot...but if it comes to fruition, it will likely save me thousands over what I would have been willing to spend. Here's the low percentage scenario:

If the Capitals do not make the Finals

and

The Blackhawks do make the Finals

and

It goes to a Game 7

Then I will have a pair of face value tickets.

Guess who I am rooting for in the Habs-Caps game tonight?
One down.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 04-29-2010, 01:41 AM   #1783
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Let's get it ON!!

Old 04-29-2010, 04:19 AM   #1784
0002S
Alla En El Rancho Grande

First Name: Shawn
Trading: (3)
Montecristo
0002S will become famous soon enough0002S will become famous soon enough

Go WINGS!
Old 04-29-2010, 05:14 AM   #1785
kugie
Have My Own Room

First Name: Joe
kugie will become famous soon enough

WOW!! I never would have thought it that the Bruins would get a home series in this playoffs.
Congrats to the HABs
Now Bring on the Flyers!!!!!
Should be a good Series. I am sure the Flyers wanted the Bruins as well instead of getting the Caps...
ROUND 2 Ding ding ding!!!!!
Old 04-29-2010, 07:16 AM   #1786
yourchoice
Down the stretch

First Name: Joel
Trading: (36)
Cohiba
yourchoice has disabled reputation

Quote:
Not a single night without hockey, Sharks - Wings tomorrow night. It has been the only sanity-saving grace besides CA and cigars since I have been off work.
It is awesome, but I am becoming sleep-deprived! They said on the Versus telecast that last night's game was the 49th of the post season so far. I must have watched at least a good portion (if not the entire televised game) of 30-35 of them.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:20 AM   #1787
Eleven
Solid As The Sun

First Name: Scott
Trading: (23)
Eleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura about

I read this interesting stat on NHL.com this morning.

"The Capitals led 3-1 in the series a week ago, but on Wednesday at 9:37 p.m. ET they officially became the first top-seeded team in NHL history to blow a 3-1 series lead to the eighth seed."

Ouch. Not the kind of record I think Ovie was hoping for on his resume'.

CA: putting the 'man' in bromance since 2008! --markem.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:53 AM   #1788
yourchoice
Down the stretch

Cohiba

Me and a friend of mine make picks for each round (friendly wager ). I figured I'd share my 2nd round picks (remember, I am not very good at this! ).

East:
Pens in 5. ---> Could go one of two ways for the Habs. 1) Ride the momentum, 2) Letdown after the emotional series. I'm guessing the latter.

Bruins in 7 ---> As hard as I will be rooting for the Flyers, I think the extended time off will cool Boucher off. I do think the Flyers' style could help shake Rask...Carcillo, Richards, and Hartnell could really drive him nuts based on how emotional he gets. Hopefully they don't take any dumb penalties doing so. This is one series I am seriously hoping I am wrong about. Luckily I won't have to root for the $ because my buddy picked the same as I did.

Wings in 6 ---> Should be a great series. If the Wings play four games anywhere near the level they played game 7 against the 'Yotes they should pull this series off. Funny, I will be rooting for the Sharks, but I just see the Wings winning the series.

Hawks in 7 ---> Although I think Kane's propensity to turn the puck over will eventually bite the Hawks bad (saw it in the Olympics and saw more of it in the 1st round), I just think the Hawks defensemen depth will carry them through what I think will be a great series. I'm hoping it is nearly as entertaining as I think it could be.

Looking at these picks overall...the only team I will be "rooting for" that I actually picked is the Hawks, as I'm hoping it's Habs/Flyers/Sharks/Hawks advancing to the Conference Finals.

And here's to wishing good health to all of the teams.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:52 PM   #1789
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

First Name: Mike
Trading: (53)
HUpmann
Ahbroody has disabled reputation

I really think it depends on what Sharks team shows up/ if the first line decides to grow a pair and play with some heart as to whether Det will be able to have a game like they did in game 7 against the Yotes. In watching that game the Yotes were content to dump it in from center and try to chase the puck. The Wings ate them alive. If the Sharks think they can do that they will also get beat easy.

With the Sharks recent history of losing the first game in the their last four playoff series thats not a good omen.

I just dropped over 120.00 on a new pair of skates for a 4 year old. LOL what is it about this sport that does this.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:47 PM   #1790
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

Something I was thinking about today.. Why is it that the top teams in the NHL don't produce in the playoffs? You have a team like Washington, who dominated the league and led in scoring. Why is it that they aren't built to win in the playoffs? Why is there a different type of hockey to be played in the playoffs? During the regular season you have a much more open game. Playoffs come and everyone is parked in front of the net on Offense and Defense just waiting for that one chance. Consequently because of the tight play in front of the net there is one team that dominates puck time but the other team just continually dumps the puck into the other zone again waiting for that one chance.

I'm not saying I don't like the postseason but something needs to be changed. If they want a higher scoring game, fast pace, and a more open game (like the regular season). Why do all the teams revert to a more puck controlled, defense oriented game?
Old 04-29-2010, 05:53 PM   #1791
yourchoice
Down the stretch

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekGodX View Post
Something I was thinking about today.. Why is it that the top teams in the NHL don't produce in the playoffs? You have a team like Washington, who dominated the league and led in scoring. Why is it that they aren't built to win in the playoffs? Why is there a different type of hockey to be played in the playoffs? During the regular season you have a much more open game. Playoffs come and everyone is parked in front of the net on Offense and Defense just waiting for that one chance. Consequently because of the tight play in front of the net there is one team that dominates puck time but the other team just continually dumps the puck into the other zone again waiting for that one chance.

I'm not saying I don't like the postseason but something needs to be changed. If they want a higher scoring game, fast pace, and a more open game (like the regular season). Why do all the teams revert to a more puck controlled, defense oriented game?
Simplistically, I think it has a lot to do with sacrifice. During the regular season, players may not layout to stop a slapshot as frequently. They may not go into the corner quite as hard. They may make a blind pass instead of taking a hit to make the safer, often correct play. A lot of those types of plays slow the game down creating bouncing pucks and a slower pace of play.

To me, I prefer the post-season game to the regular season. Not only for the intensity and the importance of each game, but I prefer the style of play....the players play tougher. Sorry to bring this up Mike, but if Marleau "bunny hops" in the regular season, it may be talked about for a week...maybe that long. When it happens in the post season it's talked about for a year. In the regular season, in the long run, hopping may have been the right play (keep your stars healthy (pun intended ) and live to fight another day. In the post season? Not by a long shot.

Old 04-29-2010, 06:29 PM   #1792
kugie
Have My Own Room

First Name: Joe
kugie will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourchoice View Post
Simplistically, I think it has a lot to do with sacrifice. During the regular season, players may not layout to stop a slapshot as frequently. They may not go into the corner quite as hard. They may make a blind pass instead of taking a hit to make the safer, often correct play. A lot of those types of plays slow the game down creating bouncing pucks and a slower pace of play.

To me, I prefer the post-season game to the regular season. Not only for the intensity and the importance of each game, but I prefer the style of play....the players play tougher. Sorry to bring this up Mike, but if Marleau "bunny hops" in the regular season, it may be talked about for a week...maybe that long. When it happens in the post season it's talked about for a year. In the regular season, in the long run, hopping may have been the right play (keep your stars healthy (pun intended ) and live to fight another day. In the post season? Not by a long shot.

I have to agree with Joel. (That Hurts, Rotten Flyers )
Players and teams are laying it all on the line in the playoffs Players take chances, Hit harder, try different things to score not to look good doing it but to get a win.
During the regular season players and teams don't lay it all out like that.
So you have these insanely talented (The Capitals) teams with these great finesse players that can do anything but end up getting shut down.
Look at the Bruins Last year they went to the finals of the semis in the east but lost to Carolina and they were the best in the East Last year. They beat the Bag out of teams in the regular season and could not handle it when they went up against a hard hitting team that took it to them for Seven Games.

PS Playoff Hockey is the best. It beats out Football, Basketball, and Baseball for intensity
Old 04-29-2010, 06:47 PM   #1793
mithrilG60
Feeling at Home

First Name: Geoff
Trading: (2)
Cuaba
mithrilG60 will become famous soon enough

The other factor is that offense sells tickets while defense wins games. The regular season is about filling rinks and making the team owners money so ever team plays a different kind of game, which is why entirely offensive orientated teams like the Caps end up in 1st overall. In the playoffs teams tend to play much more a much more defensively cautious style which tends to shut down freewheeling offenses. If your team can't switch from offensive to defense they ll never do well...... and let's face it, both Ovechkin and the Caps are all offense all the time. There's no off switch or defensive fallback there.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:05 PM   #1794
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

The NHL leaves me scratching my head as to why they made changes to the league to make it more offense orientated but the playoffs turn into a grind it out game.. Teams like the Caps, that are built with a lot of talent, fail in the playoffs because it's a completely different game.

Could the league make a rule change that limits the number of people in front of the net? That would make a huge difference in the playoffs
Old 04-29-2010, 07:08 PM   #1795
kazzaca

I grew up in Montreal and even though I've seen some amazing games in my lifetime, that win last night really was something special...another amazing chapter in a storied franchise.

Great goaltending paired with some incredible defense...wow...just wow...

Old 04-29-2010, 07:12 PM   #1796
kazzaca

No Marleau for the Sharks tonight...not good! He's the one guy on that line that busts his butt to get to the puck.

Old 04-29-2010, 07:16 PM   #1797
yourchoice
Down the stretch

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithrilG60 View Post
The other factor is that offense sells tickets while defense wins games. The regular season is about filling rinks and making the team owners money so ever team plays a different kind of game, which is why entirely offensive orientated teams like the Caps end up in 1st overall.
Along this same thought, teams play differently at home than on the road during the regular season...at least the Flyers do. I think it has to do somewhat with "putting on a show" for the home fans, but when they're on the road, they play a safer/tighter game. Not sacrificing themselves like they do in the playoffs, but safer.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:17 PM   #1798
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourchoice View Post

I agree with your thoughts, Joel, and I too prefer playoff type hockey. Not as exciting in the "freewheeling" aspect, but so much more so in most other respects.

Quote:
They may make a blind pass instead of taking a hit to make the safer, often correct play.
Just ask Martin Erat....hs lazy blind pass to the middle likely cost the Predators the series against the Blackhawks.

Old 04-29-2010, 07:28 PM   #1799
yourchoice
Down the stretch

Cohiba

Quote:
Just ask Martin Erat....hs lazy blind pass to the middle likely cost the Predators the series against the Blackhawks.
Absolutely Tom. Like Marleau's play, if that happened in the regular season, it's forgotten in a week's time.

Pavelsky is on fire!
Old 04-29-2010, 07:33 PM   #1800
yourchoice
Down the stretch

Cohiba

Holy $*@*! The Sharks came ready to play.
Closed Thread