Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 01-14-2012, 11:23 AM   #161
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of
Default Re: College Hoops Thread 2011-2012

OK, let's toss it up and tip this off. In Thursday games, some of which were noted above:

Murray State 66 - Jacskonville State 55 = A win, and good enough I suppose, but not a strong statement at home for the Racers.

Duke 61 - Virginia 58 = And considering the situation, a better statement by the Cavs down in Durham than is was one by the Blue Devils. Still, it's a win for Dook, so there's that.

Minnesota 77 - Indiana 74 = A close battle too, and not only a badly-needed good win for the Gophers but a valuable learning experience for the young Hoosiers, who'll perhaps do better in the future to be successful in tight fights.

Wisconsin 67 - Purdue 62 = I give the Badgers credit for getting the win, but they'll need to do a lot more than edge the Boilermakers before they regain the respect with which they began the season.

Boston College 59 - Clemson 57 = Now this one surprises me a bit. The Eagles have been crappy all year, and even though the Tigers haven't been much better they should have been able to take it.

Arizona 81 - Oregon State 73 (OT) = Much like the Badgers, the Desert 'Cats make one step towards regaining their early hype. Besides, this was a war, save for the extra 5 minutes.

Mississippi State 62 - Tennessee 58 = And much like the Dook/UVA game, this one looks to me to be a better sign for the Vols than for MSU.

Stanford 68 - Utah 65 = If the Cardinal wants me to take them for real, they need to do a bit better than this.

California 57 - Colorado 50 = Ditto for their neighbors, the Golden Bears.

St. Mary's 83 - Gonzaga 62 = YES!! That's what I'm talking about! Again, I emphasize I don't hate the Zags, though I will confess I like the Gaels better. But I am sick and tired of hearing all that hot air flowing out of the Great NW, and maybe this fat lip will quiet them somewhat. I doubt it, but you never know. Perhaps if they changed their name from Gonzaga to Seattle-Tacoma Free University, so that every time they looked at their teammates and their own jerseys they may get the message . . . STFU.

Last night's limited action gave us:

Cleveland State 76 - Butler 69 = The Bulldogs, national runner-ups the last two years, fall to 9-9 overall and 3-3 in conference play. The party's over, boys.

South Florida 56 - Seton Hall 55 = I can't prove it, but I planned to call this one yesterday. Remember, Rutgers got that big win over the Gators before falling to the Bulls. Now the Pirates do much the same thing, with 4 good wins (including against U Conn) followed by this. So rack up another meaningful "upset" for those Bulls.

Northern Iowa 61 - Missouri State 60 = Again, I have no proof, but this was on my radar as a close tight game for two solid programs. It was indeed.

In early action today, U Conn has already fairly well handled Notre Dame 67-53 in South Bend, due to a 2nd-half surge. No surprise there. What might be one is that UT lead UK at the half in Knoxville, though only by 6 points. Another might be 'Nova over Cincy by 4 with under 18 to go. There's time enough in both these for anything to happen, yet both are worth keeping your eye on. Other early games of note include:

Michigan vs. Iowa = My doubts about the Wolverines stem from their struggles to score the ball. The Hawkeyes have a decent chance of winning this home game, and should at least give the Logans problems.

N. C. State vs. Wake Forest = Jerry's 'Pack have shown a few signs, and maybe even enough to win this one in Winston-Salem, especially since the Deacs have shown some but fewer signs themselves. NCSU's trying to build a double-digit lead early in the contest to grab control.

Texas vs. Missouri = It's in Mizzou Arena, and the 'Horns haven't hooked many good teams this season. Yet they ought to stay competitive with the Tigers, at least for a while, and anything can happen.

Kansas State vs. Oklahoma = K-State has a better record, and a few better wins, but they are also as volatile as is their coach. This means they are capable of either exploding on the Sooners in Norman, or blowing up instead. If this is close at the half, it could also be close at the end.

I'll go look at later starts now, and be back with those plus more early finals later. Enjoy.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:32 PM   #162
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Both the UK/UT and the 'Nova/Cincy games are still too close to call. What else is up in this crowded day of action? As I can't possibly cite all the potentially good ones, I'll limit myself to far too many:

Texas Tech vs. Texas A&M = Though the Aggies were supposed to be a power this year, both teams come into this 0-3 in conference play. I predict one of them will get their first league win today.

Mississippi vs. Auburn = I don't believe either team is all that good, but they should be pretty evenly matched, and give us a good show.

North Carolina vs. Florida State = I fully expect my Heels to have their hands full here. They go on the road for the first time in a long while, and the Seminoles have talent, despite the fact that they've not played as though they do at times. Yet you'd think they'd be up and focused for this one, especially in front of their own crowd. You have to give UNC the advantage, but I'm not gonna pencil it in, at all.

Saint Louis vs. Charlotte = I get that feeling this Billiken/49er one will be fun.

Pittsburgh vs. Marquette = I have absolutely no idea what has gone wrong with the Panthers, nor do I have much of a better idea what Marquette truly is either. For this alone, I'm fascinated by it.

Rutgers vs. West Virginia = Nobody much expected either of these to play as well as they have so far. Because of this, both have some confidence, and both are hungry for more. Look for a war.

Michigan State vs. Northwestern = The Spartans have played very well, and should handle the Smarty 'Cats OK. I don't expect a blowout, but a comfortable win is likely.

Oklahoma State vs. Baylor = As you know, I haven't a ton of faith in the Bears. Yet I'm not gonna give the Cowboys more than a puncher's chance here.

Virginia Tech vs. Boston College = BC sucks, but it's the Hokies who are 0-2 in the ACC so far. They need to turn that around fast, and this would be a great place to start, even up in Chestnut Hill instead of atop that hill in Blacksburg.

Kansas vs. Iowa State = Much like the UNC/FSU game, you've got to give the Jayhawks the nod, but don't think it will be a cakewalk.

St. Joseph's vs. U Mass = Two decent teams will give us one good game.

Alabama vs. Mississippi State = Here too.

DePaul vs. Louisville = The Cardinals have been another of those bi-polar teams to date, playing lights-out and as if the lights are out. They ought to be able to handle the Blue Demons. But they ought to have handled others also, so keep your eye on this one.

Georgia vs. Vanderbilt = Vandy's another of those iffy teams. The Comms have the talent to take command over the 'Dawgs. If they don't it's their own damn fault.

Colorado vs. Stanford = As is seems likely at this point that the Pac-12 won't get a ton of at-large bids again this year, each game becomes vital. Both of these want to dance in March, so hopefully we'll get a good one.

UNLV vs. San Diego State = And if you think those two above want wins, consider these two with certain (even if somewhat limited) national aspirations. They may need to call out the Marines in San Diego before this one's done.

Providence vs. Syracuse = In the Dome, so don't expect the Orange to tally that first loss today. Hey, stranger things have happened, and the Friars have had a few good wins already, but Resipsa's boys should be safe for another weekend or so.

Tennessee Tech vs. Murray State = And Joe's Racers better play better in this one than they did against Jacksonville State if they want to stay undefeated. TT can hoop a little, and if it stays tight the Racers may tighten up also.

Air Force vs. Boise State = Nobody much cares about either of these, but it is one of those which jumps out at me with the po' for a good 'un.

UCF vs. Marshall = Maybe a few more care about these, and the same holds true.

Temple vs. Richmond = And definitely a few more care about these, with much the same expectations for a battle. Though I respect the Owls, I sorta like the Spiders, and hope they can bite their avian foes.

Florida vs. South Carolina = If the Gators don't absolutely beat the 'Cocks into raw meat, they should go back to the Sunshine State afoot.

LaSalle vs. Dayton = Another good match-up here. Flip a coin.

Gonzaga vs. Loyola Marymount = The 'Zags will want to bounce back from the flailing they took from the Gaels, but don't expect LM to roll over for them. It's just as likely the Bulldogs will get their 2nd L in a row.

Rice vs. Tulane = Though one might feel these two should sooner face off in a College IQ Bowl, this could actually be a damn decent athletic contest here.

LSU vs. Arkansas = That first point above can't be said of these two, but the second one holds true.

Memphis vs. Houston = Though I am not a Tiger fan, I am curious as to whether or not they've found their game. The Cougars may not prove this one way or the other, yet they should provide another test.

TCU vs. Colorado State = Here's another of those games with promise of excitement.

Montana vs. Weber State = And again.

Hawaii vs. Nevada = And again, believe it or not. The Rainbows have actually played fairly decent ball at times, in case you haven't noticed.

While typing the above:

Kentucky 65 - Tennessee 62 = The Wildcats escape what would have been an embarrassing loss to the Vols. I'm sure Cal is glad to get the W, but he can't be very happy. His team seems to be regressing.

Cincinnati 82 - Villanova 78 = I guess it's an OK win for the Bearcats over a "meh" PhillyCat squad suffering a down year, and I know Jay Wright's miffed at another disappointing loss in one he could have won.

Also, Iowa is kicking Michigan's butt, and NCSU is absolutely slaughering the Demon Deacons. I'll be back later with those finals, and maybe other, as well as (hopefully) Sunday games. Until later then.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:59 PM   #163
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Michigan loses, K-State loses, and my Heels are getting embarrassed. So it goes. Yet I can't take anymore for now, and thus will see you Monday.

Enjoy, hopefully better than I've done.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:53 AM   #164
jcruse64
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Joe
Trading: (1)
jcruse64 is on a distinguished road

Well, you DID say don't pencil the win in for the 'Heels. Wow, did not expect that from them though. Be interesting to see how they respond to this.

SDSU popped the Rebels pretty nicely.`

Coach Cal needs to take a few of the guys to the wood shed. Pitiful win.

Murray stays undefeated...barely. Teams are seeing some success in doubling/tripling Canaan up, and our inside game is not the same with Aska out. But, despite having to rely mostly on guard play, they continue the bend-but-don't-break style to get the win. I still don't see them as a top 20 team, even though I'm loving the attention this is giving them.

Pitino should be happy for a win, but it looks to me like he's lost control of his team. They just seem to go off the face of the Earth sometimes.
jcruse64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 03:20 PM   #165
SD Beerman
Have My Own Room

Trading: (3)
Cohiba
SD Beerman will become famous soon enough

SDSU is doing well in their rebuilding year, huge win Sat. tough league this year.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebaske...hockingly-good

check out this video.
SD Beerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 03:22 PM   #166
jwintosh
i have a confirmation #!!

First Name: Jeffrey
Trading: (15)
Bolivar
jwintosh will become famous soon enoughjwintosh will become famous soon enough

Old 01-16-2012, 03:39 PM   #167
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcruse64 View Post
Well, you DID say don't pencil the win in for the 'Heels. Wow, did not expect that from them though. Be interesting to see how they respond to this.

SDSU popped the Rebels pretty nicely.`

Coach Cal needs to take a few of the guys to the wood shed. Pitiful win.

Murray stays undefeated...barely. Teams are seeing some success in doubling/tripling Canaan up, and our inside game is not the same with Aska out. But, despite having to rely mostly on guard play, they continue the bend-but-don't-break style to get the win. I still don't see them as a top 20 team, even though I'm loving the attention this is giving them.

Pitino should be happy for a win, but it looks to me like he's lost control of his team. They just seem to go off the face of the Earth sometimes.

I had a bad feeling about that UNC/FSU game, so the loss did not surprise me. I was, however, sadly shocked at their bad play in the first half, and the horrible play in the second. A very good win for the Semiholes, and hopefully a wake-up call for the Heels.

Yeah, the Aztecs pretty much cut the hearts out of UNLV. I'll say good for them despite the fact I'm not a fan of Steve Fisher, partly due to the fact I still dislike the Rebs from back in Tark the Shark days. Yeah, I'm an old fogey, but my memory's still good.

UK has a lot of young talent, and you get what you get with yound talent . . . which often includes head-slapping frustrations. Count your blessings that the SEC pretty much seems to be the Wildcats, then everybody else . . . as if that's anything new.

As with my Heels, I figured your Racers would face a challenge in that game. But they survived, a win's a win, and though they may not actually be (as of now) the 12th best team in the nation they have done what they've needed to do, and deserve the success and acclaim. Enjoy it as long as it lasts.

You'd know better than me about the Cardinals. I do know Pitino earned the "reputation" of recruiting willful bad boys at times, many of whom felt they were the cat's @$$ and had to listen to nobody save those voices in their own heads . . . many of them from here in New Jersey. You're welcome, Rick.

Aside from needing to pay some more on my massive medical bills online and other such crap today, the penny-ante lotto bozos have started bugging me again today, so I have no time for a full update. Maybe I can catch up on the biggies at least tomorrow. Until then then, enjoy.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:50 PM   #168
jcruse64
Adjusting to the Life

Yeah, I hear you on Pitino's recruiting. A shame; I thought he looked like a great coach when he took over a UK program that was lucky to have one blue chipper in Mashurn, and made lemonade from lemons. Those were the days...

Pitt has just lost again; never saw that coming . Tough season.

Baylor-KU just starting.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:48 PM   #169
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
Yeah, I hear you on Pitino's recruiting. A shame; I thought he looked like a great coach when he took over a UK program that was lucky to have one blue chipper in Mashurn, and made lemonade from lemons. Those were the days...

Pitt has just lost again; never saw that coming . Tough season.

Baylor-KU just starting.

The only other thing I'll say about Pitino is that there are some coaches I like less, and many I like better.

As for Pitt, I'll risk bad karma by saying thank goodness some team out there is making the struggle my Heels have had look minor.

Bears/Jayhawks now over, and so's Baylor's undefeated season. Color me shocked.

I'm hoping to catch up a little, so keep your fingers crossed. Later.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:24 PM   #170
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

As I don't know how my remaining time will go, lemme flop-flip my normal post and cite today's action before I return to recent history. Tonight:

Georgetown vs. DePaul = Could be a really good game. After finding themselves, the young Hoyas have come back down to earth a bit. The Blue Demons are maybe not as good, yet have played quite well at times.

Michigan State vs. Michigan = Aside from the fact that these two are rumored to dislike each other, they have comparable talent. I'm not a fan of the Spartans, but I prefer them much more than the Wolverines, for various reasons. Yet I give them the edge here not so much because of that then for the fact the Logans cannot score the ball.

Auburn vs. LSU = These two are doing better than I expected so far, and as conference wins may get few and far between for both this one is huge. Look for a battle.

Iowa vs. Purdue = Different league, same story here.

Maryland vs. Florida State = A different different league, and aside from that spanking the 'Noles gave my Heels it is the same here too. Can FSU build upon their huge win, or can the Terps catch them complacent? Should be interesting.

Arkansas vs. Kentucky = And speaking of interesting, note that the Wildcats have survived several scares recently against inferior talent. Can they keep that up, or are they bound to stumble a few times? Keep your eye on this one, since the 'Hogs have a chance, even in Rupp.

Boise State vs. Colorado State = And this is one of those tight mid-major ones which can turn out to be the best match-up of the night.

Over the past few days I've missed a ton of games, and many of them very good. As I both can't and shan't bore you with all of them, I'll just mention a few key ones not already noted elsewhere. In the balance of Saturday action:

Auburn 69 - Mississippi 68 (2OT) = Quite a fight here, despite the low-scoring involved. A nice win for the Tigers, if not a great one.

Oklahoma 82 - Kansas State 73 = But this was a very good one for the Sooners. Can anyone in Manhattan KS tell me if Frank Martin's head has exploded yet?

Marquette 62 - Pittsburgh 57 = Though I predicted from the get-go that the Panthers wouldn't make much noise in March, I never thought they'd be so silent this soon.

Northwestern 81 - Michigan State 74 = Many of you may have been shocked by this. Me, my surprise is tempered by the fact that I foresaw the Spartans had had a great run, which was doomed to end soon. Izzo is a great coach, but even he can only do so much.

Richmond 76 - Temple 65 = As I stated at the time, I respect the Owls but root for the Spiders. They needed a good win like this one.

Marshall 65 - UCF 64 = I'm not so certain this is a good W for the Herd, but it sure beats a loss.

On Sunday 1/15:

Ohio State 80 - Indiana 63 = As with those Spartans above, I was glad to see the Hoosiers make themselves relevant but felt they'd done about all that could be reasonably expected. This whippin' lends them some perspective, let's assume.

Duke 73 - Clemson 66 = Maybe I should just hold my peace on this one, considering how my Heels did, but even down in Littlejohn this ain't much of a win for Dook against a weaker team. Shoot, just look at some of the teams Clemson's already lost to this year? Still, it's a W for the Blue Devils, even if K isn't happy about it.

On Monday 1/16:

Marquette 74 - Louisville 63 = The Cardinals grabbed an early double-digit lead, then p!$$ed it away, and into a double-digit loss. Though the old saw says it couldn't happen to a nicer guy, in Rick's case it easily could.

Syracuse 71 - Pittsburgh 63 = I suppose I could take the opportunity here to bash the Panthers again, yet when one considers how many bad losses they've already posted, and consider that this was against an undefeated team on their court, I think it is actually a pretty decent showing. And for those Orange fans who still believe your boys will go without a L all year, take warning as you look at both this and at . . .

Kansas 92 - Baylor 74 = Am I the only one who shrugs at this and thinks "OK, so?" I've told you and told you the Bears were (a) playing too many cupcakes, and (b) were escaping by the skin of their teeth when they dared face any decent competition. The Jayhawks have always been the class of the league, and this Bear-skinning shows they still are, until somebody else proves otherwise.

Well, that's all I've time for, but I welcome you guys picking out others I've missed. Believe me, there's a buttload. Until later then . . . enjoy.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:52 PM   #171
SteelCityBoy
7th Heaven Will Commeth!!

First Name: Ken
Trading: (21)
Bolivar
SteelCityBoy has a spectacular aura aboutSteelCityBoy has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Pitt has just lost again; never saw that coming . Tough season
Can't believe they are losing the way they are...

Making college basketball much less fun for me this year.
SteelCityBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:12 PM   #172
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityBoy View Post
Can't believe they are losing the way they are...

Making college basketball much less fun for me this year.
I feel you, but take note that the FIRST year I started doing this thread on here was back when my Heels followed up their 2009 championship by going 17-17 in regular season play before going on a run to make the finals again . . . in the NIT.

I could have said the hell with it all and quit, but winning or losing is NOT the point of amateur athletics . . . which is why winning's so important in Lexington.

Hopefully back soon with an update, if my internet stops farking me around.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:11 PM   #173
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Maybe I can get this in, if I'm concise. Read, "hasty". Last night:

Georgetown 83 - DePaul 75 = The Hoyas need every league win they can get to try and keep pace, or at least pace enough to get a higher-seed in the Big East tourney.

LSU 65 - Auburn 58 (OT) = I believe I said they'd both want this one badly.

Michigan 60 - Michigan State 59 = Once again, the Wolverines fail to score over 65 points. Luckily for them, the Spartans scored one fewer than did the home team.

Western Carolina 141 - Toccoa Falls 39 = Yeah, you read that right. The score at the half was 72-17 Catamounts. Well, at least it wasn't the bullet-dodging of their 2001 meeting, when WCU edged this small Christian school 133-58. I guess The Doors were right: "You CANNOT petition The Lord with prayer!"

Tonight has a lot of great mid-major action, plus a few biggies:

LaSalle vs. Temple = This ought to be fun.

St. Joseph's vs. Xavier = Here too.

Clemson vs. Miami = Here too, as they fight to stay out of the ACC cellar.

U Conn vs. Cincinnati = Ditto, if the Bearcats play the way they are capable of doing, even up in Storrs.

Kent State vs. Ohio = And the hits just keep on coming.

Murray State vs. Morehead State = In previous years this would be another war. Maybe not so much tonight, but Joe's Racers should not get complacent.

Indiana vs. Nebraska = And last year the 'Huskers may have had a better chance against the Hoosiers, but this one is most likely IU's to win . . . or lose, in lieu of beating beaten.

Marshall vs. West Virginia = No waffling here . . . this will be a war.

Memphis vs. UCF = And this one too, since both are hoping to gain enough momentum to gain at-large attention come March.

Wyoming vs. Air Froce = Nobody much cares (well, maybe some do about service academies, but only for that), yet I can see this one being damn good too.

Wichita State vs. Northern Iowa = Both have the talent and tradition to make this a contest.

Creighton vs. Missouri State = MSU hasn't the same tradition as Creighton, but they will put up a fight nonetheless.

Texas vs. Kansas State = The 'Horns have not shown us much so far this year, but the Manhattan 'Cats have had some struggles of late. A win by UT would not only help their confidence, it might give Frank Martin a stroke.

Mississippi State vs. Mississippi = OK, it ain't Duke/UNC, or UK/Louisville, or even UCLA/USC, but it is an in-state rivalry between teams that have had their moments this season.

San Diego State vs. New Mexico = The Aztecs get back into the Top 25 this week, based upon their good play. If they aren't careful, they will drop out of the Top 25 after this game. It's in Albuquerque, and the Lobos can hoop a little.

TCU vs. UNLV = And I even give those horny Texans a shot at the Rebels, even in Vegas. OK, not much of one, but it could be closer than you'd think.

Sorry for the brevity, but that's the way it goes. Hey, do you expect War and Peace every freakin' day? Jeez. So until later . . . enjoy.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:21 PM   #174
jcruse64
Adjusting to the Life

MSU vs MSU ended up being a war for sure . Down by 11 twice, I think, and only got a lead back late in the 2nd. Morehead was looking to make a statement on defending home, and they gave a great shot on it. Morehead has a good coach, I think, and he likes to put the zone to good advantage. Murray has had problems wit the zone. Despite a rough game, including a horrible start, I was glad they had such a struggle. I think it will help later on.

That LSU game was a good one for sure.

Watching Texas/Kansas St now. K State was laying it on good, but Texas has come to within 1 early in H2; fun game also.

2 undefeateds left. Murray could get nailed by anyone, although getting Aska back in the next week or so will help a lot. What about 'Cuse-who do you see knocking them off???
Old 01-19-2012, 03:02 PM   #175
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
2 undefeateds left. Murray could get nailed by anyone, although getting Aska back in the next week or so will help a lot. What about 'Cuse-who do you see knocking them off???

I'll deal with this one first, Joe. As with your Racers, anybody can knock Syracuse from the undefeated ranks. Against a zone, all it takes is one guy getting hot from downtown, or a bad defensive rebounding effort from the Orange, and they're down by 6 or 8 possessions . . . from which a zone-based team has difficulty recovering, especially as they have no experience pressing to force turnovers and increase possessions. But to be more specific, here's the games I'd be more leery of, were I Jim Boeheim:

1/21 @ Notre Dame = The Irish are not great, but they don't stink either. Plus, South Bend is not the Dome.

1/23 @ Cincinnati = The Bearcats have some bad losses, and some good wins too. And again, the Orange will be on the road.

2/8 Georgetown = 'Cuse is back home, but this is a dangerous Hoya squad. They themselves may not be experienced, but their coach has seen that zone many times, and knows how to attack it.

2/11 U. Conn = Pretty much the same story here, save that the Huskies do have more experience, and maybe a bit more talent too.

2/13 @ Louisville = The third tough game for Syracuse in less than a week, on the road again, and against another dangerous team. Yeah, Pitino's boys have sucked at times, but you know Rick will have them focused for this one. If they can respond . . . well, that's another question.

2/19 @ Rutgers = I don't know how they are doing it, but the Scarlet Knights have managed to surprise better teams, on their own court anyway. Even if the Orange survive all the above, and maybe more so if they do, I could see them coming into this one with a cocky attitude, and taking one in the stones.

2/25 @ U. Conn = In a mirror-image of the 'Cuse, the Huskies are tough at home and not so much on the road. Playing in the Nutmeg State perhaps adds enough spice to turn the table.

3/3 Louisville = You'd suspect, or if you are a Cardinal fan you'd hope, that by this point in the season Pitino'd have his team primed and ready for post-season. This game may not be key to Syracuse to secure them a high NCAA bid, but it might be huge for Louisville. If Rick can impart that to his kids, they should be hyped and focused.

Plus, even if the Orange can survive this minefield, they then enter the Big East tournament, where anything can happen. Remember last year, with the Huskies coming in with a 9-9 conference record, only to ride Kemba Walker all the way to the championship? And ALL of the above ignores the other possible factors: injuries, illness, suspensions, bad calls, bad weather, whatever. So there might not be your answer, but it may help some (including Orange faithful) understand why I don't see them going without a loss all year.

Back later, I hope.

Last edited by The Poet; 01-19-2012 at 03:08 PM.
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 04:08 PM   #176
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Here's some of the best games from last night:

Murray State 66 - Morehead State 60 = As Joe said, his Racers needed to come from 'way back to keep their season unblemished. I thought they'd have a little easier time of it, but I did realize how tricky road games can be against a long-standing rival.

Temple 76 - LaSalle 70 = Such as these two rivals, and about what you'd expect.

Cincinnati 70 - U. Conn 67 = If there is a surprise for the evening, it's maybe this one, even if only for the fact that it was in Storrs. Yeah, the Bearcats have played well on occasion, and the Huskies have had some problems. Still, I'd not have bet on this one.

Nebraska 70 - Indiana 69 = Nor this one, to be frank. True, I thought the Hoosiers had just about shot their bolt for now. But again, I figured they could handle the Cornhuskers. Shows what I know.

UCF 68 - Memphis 67 = And this was, as I felt it would be, a war.

Wichita State 71 - Northern Iowa 68 = Here also.

Creighton 66 - Missouri State 65 = Also also.

Kansas State 84 - Texas 80 = To be frank, the Longhorns came closer to giving Martin that stroke than I thought. Rememeber, lest I am mistaken, this was in Manhattan and not Austin.

San Diego State 75 - New Mexico 70 = Here's about exactly what I figured on, with the Lobos giving the Aztecs more fits than they wanted.

Tonight's action includes a lot of "who cares?" games, plus these:

Charleston vs. Davidson = Two good teams who need to either win their conference or make a lot of noise elsewhere to earn a bid, so it's big for both.

Duke vs. Wake Forest = I have to go with a wake tonight in Durham, for the Deacons. If the Blue Devils don't slaughter them, Coach K should retire.

Vanderbilt vs. Alabama = These two have p!$$ed away a lot of the respect they had early in the year, yet neither one is totally dead yet . . . like maybe Pitt. Should be fun.

Virginia vs. Georgia Tech = As with my prior comments saying schools such as Indiana and Michigan State had maybe shot their bolt already, the same may be true of the Cavaliers. If they lose to the Yellow Jackets it may be one further indication of that . . . and no, I don't care that it's in Hot'Lanta.

Boston College vs. N. C. State = And Jerry's 'Pack needs to jump on the Eagles here, if they want to stay at least mid-pack in the ACC.

Illinois vs. Penn State = I can't give the Nittany Lions much of a chance against the Illini, even in State College. However, you may remember that last year about this time PSU went on a bit of a run to win some they maybe shouldn't have. Hey, it's conference play, so who knows?

North Carolina vs. Virginia Tech = Speaking of who knows, who knows how the Heels will react in Blacksburg to that embarrassing performance (or lack of same, more accurately) against FSU. If Roy got their attention in practice this week, it could be bad news for the Hokies. If he didn't, and they put up another stinker, maybe he'll just throw in the towel for good.

UCLA vs. Oregon State = I've not mentioned the Bruins much of late, mainly due of course to their poor start. But if you haven't noticed, after losing 5 of their first 7 games, they've only lost twice since then, and that @ both Stanford and California, so they weren't the "bad" losses they posted earlier. Have they turned things around? Certainly, to some extent. This game won't tell us if this turn-around's for real or not, but maybe we should all start keeping an eye on Westwood once again. Oh, wait . . . we can't. They're not playing in Pauley this year, so even their home games are on the road.

That's it for me for now. Thanks for all your cards and letters, and keep 'em coming boys. Until later, enjoy.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:18 PM   #177
jcruse64
Adjusting to the Life

Some really tough, close games last night. I thought Texas "might" come down with the win, but just couldn't. Also thought IU would come up with a win. I thought the Bearcats might pull that one off; I do not have any confidence in UConn, but I thought the same last year. Shows what I know.

Managed to get tickets for the rest of Murray's home games yesterday. The wife wants to hit the OVC tourney again this year; it's always a lot of fun, win or lose. She swears we are going to the Dance if Murray makes it this year. I had the opportunity to go the year MSU beat Valvano's team in round 1 and were narrowly beaten by Danny Manning's KU, but just could not afford it and eat too. Maybe this time...I still think we must win the OVC tourney to get in. One loss anywhere, in the OVC means no at-large, and they would likely drop out of the top 35 with a loss.

Dook is handling Wake pretty well, midway through H2. Vandy also handling Bama easily on the road.

Hey Poet, where did Mark Gottfried end up? I heard he is coaching again.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:18 PM   #178
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
I had the opportunity to go the year MSU beat Valvano's team in round 1.

Hey Poet, where did Mark Gottfried end up? I heard he is coaching again.

Unknowingly, you sorta answered your own question there brother. Gottfried is midway through his first year as head coach of Jerry's N.C. State Wolfpack, and is doing fairly well so far. He may do even better next year and thereafter, as he's supposedly landed one of the best recruiting classes in the nation for 2012-13.

Update shortly.
Old 01-20-2012, 03:07 PM   #179
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

And speaking of The Wolfpack:

N. C. State 76 - Boston College 62 = Though not surprising that they took the low-flying Eagles in Raleigh last night, it is a little that they are now 14-5 overall and 3-1 early in ACC play. Furthermore, aside from that horrible loss to Georgia Tech, all the other 4 Ls have been "good" ones, against Vandy, Indiana, Stanford, and Syracuse. So even though they don't have any really good wins so far to go along with that, they are certainly on track to earn an at-large bid at the least.

And speaking of Georgia Tech:

Virginia 70 - Georgia Tech 38 = Wow. Now maybe you understand why I called NCSU's loss to them a bad one. Not even 40 points, in Atlanta no less? Is that some freakin' joke? The Cavs have played well, but please.

Most other action last night was pretty much what you'd think, so I'll only note a few:

Penn State 54 - Illinois 52 = This may have shocked a few aside from Illini fans, but as I told you yesterday the Lions turned from Nuttin'y to Nittany ones for a bit this time last season also. I'm not saying they shall keep it up, but just like chili history does repeat at times.

North Carolina 82 - Virginia Tech 68 = And just like that Florida State game, the Heels were down by a couple of possessions at the half. However, unlike that stinky loss, they actually came out of the locker-room for the second stanza, much to the chagrin of the Hokie fans in attendance.

California 69 - Washington 66 = Not only was this a key game for the Pac-12 chase, it was one of the few times last night the Golden State boys struck color against the GNW. For instance . . .

Washington State 81 - Stanford 69 = Instead of winning a close one, the Trees fell hard.

Oregon State 87 - UCLA 84 = At least the Bruins made it respectable in Corvallis.

Oregon 65 - USC 62 = As did the Trojans in Eugene.

Gonzaga 74 - San Francisco 63 = Well, at least ONE Bay Area team managed a W, but it don'na be the Dons.

To be perfectly honest with you, I see absolutely NOTHING worth watching tonight, so go ahead and let your SO rent that chick flick from Blockbuster . . . if you can find one that's still open anyway. I'll likely be back later with some early Saturday games. Later then.
Old 01-20-2012, 03:43 PM   #180
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Alright, now this is more like it! If you're looking for some lunchtime action tomorrow, you have a regular smorgasbord available, including:

Maryland vs. Temple = This could be a key non-conference win in the eyes of the Selection Committee come March, so I'd expect a war in Philly here, since both may need all the help they can get.

Rutgers vs. Georgetown = And if the Scarlet Knights want to keep building on their unexpected success, they need to let their young team take advantage of the Hoya's young one. I don't know which way to go on this one, as I didn't think either one would be worth much, and am still not sure if either is for real or not.

Alabama vs. Kentucky = And it is even possible that the Tide can roll into Rupp and catch the young 'Cats napping. I wouldn't bet on it, however.

Wake Forest vs. Boston College = Just as every team wants to finish atop their league, no team wishes to end up on the bottom of the pile. Here's two in the ACC with that potential, so I'd look for a fight.

Villanova vs. St. John's = Different conference, same story.

South Carolina vs. Auburn = And here we go again. One may wonder why we'd bother, but sometimes mere survival is more intriguing than is thriving.

Purdue vs. Michigan State = The Boilermakers likely need this more, but I got the feeling that Izzo will once again have his Spartans wanting it more. It should be fun, regardless.

Kansas State vs. Oklahoma State = So could this one in Stillwater, no matter what the oddsmakers think. Yeah, the Manhattan 'Cats have been better than the Cowboys, but they've looked bad at times also. And even though Oak State's Big 12 records sucks on the road . . . Travis Ford is 5-22 for his career . . . he is 21-5 in league games at home. Keep your eye on this one.

SMU vs. Memphis = Had you asked me to pick this one in November, I'd have gone with the Tigers to pull down the Mustangs and have them for lunch. Now, I'm not so sure. Neither team has shown me much, and since 2 of their 6 losses have been in Memphis I'm not sure home-court means much either. Could be fun, though.

That's the early tip-offs for you, and if we don't get snowed out tomorrow I'll be back with later games. Until then then then, enjoy.