Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 02-26-2009, 09:02 AM   #1
Steelergar

Default Re: Official MMA Thread

Some good matchups taking shape for sengoku 7.

Heavyweight bout: Aleksander Emelianenko vs. Antonio Silva
Heavyweight bout: Roger Gracie vs. TBA
Heavyweight bout: James Thompson[1] vs. Jim York
Light Heavyweight bout: Muhammed Lawal vs. Ryo Kawamura

Some experts say if anybody can beat Fedor Emelianenko it is Antonio Silva, intresting that he is fighting his brother.

This event is not until March 20th.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:06 AM   #2
ActionAndy
Dayman, Master of Karate

First Name: Andy
Trading: (7)
HdM
ActionAndy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfWu View Post
I agree...but does anyone think that the ref called that one a bit quick? I thought it was a good call, but a buddy who was watching with me thought that they should have let it go a bit longer, that Kos was still defending himself, or acting like it.
Yeah, watch the slow-mo clip that Radio posted above. As soon as he's on the ground he looks directly at the opponent, squares his hands up to block, and raises his legs off the ground. I hate the guy and his retarded hair but he doesn't look OUT.
ActionAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 03:48 PM   #3
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ian
Trading: (10)
Cohiba
BengalMan will become famous soon enoughBengalMan will become famous soon enough

Looks like Randy and Big Nog have both signed on to fight each other at UFC 101. Hopefully Nog will show up this time. Looking forward to it.

On another note, in the "are you serious!?" catagory, Bobby Lashley will be fighting Ken Shamrock on March 21st.

And finally, something I'm crazy excited about, Cung Le recently said he would fight Anderson Silva if the UFC would co-promote the fight with Strikeforce. Unfortunately, this likely won't happen.
BengalMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 04:40 PM   #4
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalMan View Post
Looks like Randy and Big Nog have both signed on to fight each other at UFC 101. Hopefully Nog will show up this time. Looking forward to it.

On another note, in the "are you serious!?" catagory, Bobby Lashley will be fighting Ken Shamrock on March 21st.

And finally, something I'm crazy excited about, Cung Le recently said he would fight Anderson Silva if the UFC would co-promote the fight with Strikeforce. Unfortunately, this likely won't happen.
Randy/Nog=snoozefest.

Lashley is pretty good and ungodly strong and should have no problem beating Ken.

Cung Le is, of course, a fantastic striker but nothing on the ground. Silva would win easily, imo.

Last nights WEC card was pretty good. Mike Brown is turning into a real beast.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:45 PM   #5
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

RG

Great mma weekend coming up!

UFC 96 tomorrow live from The Nationwid Arena in Columbus, OH.
Matchups:

Quinton "Rampage" Jackson vs. Keith Jardine

Gabriel Gonzaga vs. Shane Carwin
Tim Boetsch vs. Jason Brilz
Matt Hamill vs. Mark Munoz
Gray Maynard vs. Jim Miller
Kendall Grove vs. Jason Day
Brandon Vera vs. Michael Patt
Tamdan McCrory vs. Ryan Madigan
Pete Sell vs. Matt Brown
Aaron Riley vs. Shane Nelson

Also this weekend:

Dream 7 live from the Saitama Super Arena,
Saitama, Japan airs live at 3am Sunday Morning.

Matchups:

Non-Tournament Bouts
Shinya Aoki vs. David Gardner
Mitsuhiro Ishida vs. Daisuke Nakamura

Dream Featherweight Grand Prix
Masakazu Imanari vs. Atsushi Yamamoto
Hiroyuki Takaya vs. Kim Jong Won
Yoshiro Maeda vs. Micah Miller
Chase Beebe vs. Joe Warren
Takafumi Otsuka vs. Bibiano Fernandes
Akiyo Nishiura vs. Abel Cullum

-----------------------------------------------------------
Sanchez-Guida Agreed for TUF 9 Finale

Diego Sanchez and Clay Guida are heading straight for one another.

The potent lightweight pair has agreed to meet in the headlining bout of The Ultimate Fighter 9 finale on June 20 at the Pearl inside the Palms Resort in Las Vegas, according to sources close to the fighters. The bout will anchor a night of final deciding bouts for the Spike TV reality series, which begins airing in April.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/san...9-finale-16439
Old 03-06-2009, 01:37 PM   #6
ActionAndy
Dayman, Master of Karate

First Name: Andy
Trading: (7)
HdM
ActionAndy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
Great mma weekend coming up!

UFC 96 tomorrow live from The Nationwid Arena in Columbus, OH.
Matchups:

Quinton "Rampage" Jackson vs. Keith Jardine

Gabriel Gonzaga vs. Shane Carwin
Tim Boetsch vs. Jason Brilz
Matt Hamill vs. Mark Munoz
Gray Maynard vs. Jim Miller
Kendall Grove vs. Jason Day
Brandon Vera vs. Michael Patt
Tamdan McCrory vs. Ryan Madigan
Pete Sell vs. Matt Brown
Aaron Riley vs. Shane Nelson

Also this weekend:

Dream 7 live from the Saitama Super Arena,
Saitama, Japan airs live at 3am Sunday Morning.

Matchups:

Non-Tournament Bouts
Shinya Aoki vs. David Gardner
Mitsuhiro Ishida vs. Daisuke Nakamura

Dream Featherweight Grand Prix
Masakazu Imanari vs. Atsushi Yamamoto
Hiroyuki Takaya vs. Kim Jong Won
Yoshiro Maeda vs. Micah Miller
Chase Beebe vs. Joe Warren
Takafumi Otsuka vs. Bibiano Fernandes
Akiyo Nishiura vs. Abel Cullum

-----------------------------------------------------------
Sanchez-Guida Agreed for TUF 9 Finale

Diego Sanchez and Clay Guida are heading straight for one another.

The potent lightweight pair has agreed to meet in the headlining bout of The Ultimate Fighter 9 finale on June 20 at the Pearl inside the Palms Resort in Las Vegas, according to sources close to the fighters. The bout will anchor a night of final deciding bouts for the Spike TV reality series, which begins airing in April.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/san...9-finale-16439

I used to see Tamdan at the bars a lot up at school. Never talked to him, but you'd never guess the kid's a pro fighter.
ActionAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 02:41 PM   #7
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

RG

Well crap!!!

Frank Mir Hurt, Out of UFC 98 Fight With Brock Lesnar

The UFC 98 heavyweight title unification fight between champion Brock Lesnar and Interim champion Frank Mir will reportedly not take place on May 23 as scheduled, as Mir has suffered an injury that will keep him out of the Octagon for at least a few months.

FiveOuncesofPain.com and MMAMania.com both reported the news Friday afternoon, although the reports conflicted about the nature of the injury and exactly how long Mir will be out.

It's not clear whether Lesnar will still fight at UFC 98 against a different opponent, or whether Lesnar will be put on ice until Mir is ready for the rematch. Either way, Lesnar-Mir was the heavyweight fight that UFC fans most wanted to see this year, and this news is a major disappointment.

The UFC will announce a new main event for UFC 98 during tonight's pay-per-view broadcast of UFC 96 "Jackson vs. Jardine," MMAFighting.com has learned.

Current UFC 98 Card:

Matt Hughes vs. Matt Serra
Sean Sherk vs. Frankie Edgar
Josh Koscheck vs. Chris Wilson
James Irvin vs. Drew McFedries
Houston Alexander vs. Andre Gusmao
Yoshiyuki Yoshida vs. Brandon Wolff
Phillipe Nover vs. Kyle Bradley
Tim Hague vs. Patrick Barry
George Roop vs. David Kaplan
Old 03-02-2009, 04:25 PM   #8
goalie204
Have My Own Room

First Name: Myles
Trading: (12)
Bolivar
goalie204 will become famous soon enoughgoalie204 will become famous soon enough

cung le rules
goalie204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 08:02 PM   #9
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

Cohiba
BengalMan will become famous soon enoughBengalMan will become famous soon enough

WOrd is Mir vs. Brock will now be at UFC 100. How convenient, lol. Looking forward to Carwin vs. Gonzaga tonight. I passed up great tickets to tonights UFC as I really didn't think it was going to be that good of a card for me to travel to Columbus, especially since I'll be up there next weekend anyways. Oh well, I've been to enough of them. Couple good fights tonight, worth me watching a stream online on my balcony with a cigar and bourbon.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:59 PM   #10
Mikey202
Tight Lines !!!!

First Name: Mike
Trading: (6)
SLR Army (Served With Honor)
Mikey202 will become famous soon enoughMikey202 will become famous soon enough

Did Hamill kill Munoz? What a knock-out. First time I've ever seen a stretcher brought in.
Old 03-07-2009, 09:09 PM   #11
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey202 View Post
Did Hamill kill Munoz? What a knock-out. First time I've ever seen a stretcher brought in.
Yeah, helluva KO!
Old 03-07-2009, 09:08 PM   #12
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

Cohiba

Wow, what horrible officiating by Yyves Lavigne. TERRIBLE. That was a complete slaughter from the first hit....
Old 03-07-2009, 09:28 PM   #13
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

Cohiba

HOLY ****!!!! What a KO by Carwin!
Old 03-07-2009, 10:26 PM   #14
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

Cohiba

What a war between Jardine and Rampage and a GREAT stare down / sh!t talking between Rashad and Rampage.

On another note, Vera looked GREAT! Viscous leg kicks! Looking forward to him at 205 in 09.

Last edited by BengalMan; 03-07-2009 at 10:31 PM.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:52 PM   #15
Ken
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
RyJ Army (Served With Honor)
Ken is on a distinguished road

Gonzaga getting KO'd made my year.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 05:40 PM   #16
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

RG

TapouT Owner Dies in Horrific Ferrari Crash

TMZ has confirmed the owner of the TapouT MMA clothing line died this morning when his ultra-rare $300,000 Ferrari crashed into a light pole, ripping the car in half.

TMZ has learned Charles Lewis Jr. -- aka "Mask" -- was driving his Ferrari Modena in Orange County, Calif. around 1:00 AM this morning when cops say it "left the roadway, hit the curb, took out a light pole."

"Mask" was declared dead at the scene. A female passenger -- who was ejected from the crash -- was taken to a local hospital, but we're told she's in bad shape.

Cops believe "Mask" was racing a guy in a Porsche at the time of the crash, and authorities have since arrested the guy they believe was driving the other car. That man -- Jeffrey David Kirby -- is being held on suspicion of gross vehicular manslaughter.

RIP Mask

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

BJ Penn and his crew will not let this go.

PENN FILES COMPLAINT WITH NSAC
http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/tem ... 7&zoneid=2

After a month of telegraphing their intentions, B.J. Penn and his representatives have filed a formal complaint against Georges St. Pierre.

The 20-page document, filed on Monday with the Nevada State Athletic Commission, requests sanctions against St. Pierre, his cornermen, and other unknown licensees of the commission, and requests a formal hearing into the matter.

The complaint, drafted by Penn legal representative Raffi A. Nahabedian, of the Rosenfeld law firm in Las Vegas, Nevada, alleges that St. Pierre and his camp knowingly used illegal greasing agents to affect the outcome of his fight with Penn at UFC 94 on Jan. 31 in Las Vegas.

Penn succumbed to St. Pierres furious ground and pound attack 20 minutes after their encounter began, with Penns cornermen throwing in the towel between the fourth and fifth rounds.

Controversy erupted inside the cage between the first and second rounds when the NSAC was alerted to the inappropriate use of Vaseline by St. Pierre cornerman Phil Nurse. Officials wiped the welterweight champion down with a towel between rounds and monitored the corner closely until the bouts halt.

The document cites unnamed mixed martial arts fighters who complained about St. Pierres use of greasing agents as evidence of his culpability.

It is Penns belief that the aforementioned strategies were intentional and were orchestrated by Pierre as a means to unfairly and illegally defeat Penn in a regulated and sanctioned championship bout that prohibits the aforementioned conduct and that such calculated actions by Pierre were implemented as a means to prevent Penn from defending himself in a manner consistent with that contemplated in unarmed combat due to the highly and unnaturally slippery nature of Pierre during the bout, the document states.

Penn and his representative also allege that St. Pierre ingested a substance that would cause his body to become highly and unnaturally slippery during the bout.

Nurse, Jackson trainer Greg Jackson, and the unknown parties are named as co-conspirators to St. Pierres use of the agents.

The complaint requests numerous punishments for St. Pierres camp. It asks the commission to fine St. Pierre, Jackson, Nurse, and the unnamed parties up to $250,000; suspend St. Pierres license as well as the licenses of Jackson, Nurse, and the unnamed parties; change the result of the bout to a no contest; and require Pierre undergo a pre-bout shower to make sure no substances exist on his body.

St. Pierres manager, Sherri Spencer, had not read the document and would not comment to MMAWeekly.com until she had reviewed it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A championship battle of undefeated light heavyweights is slated to headline UFC 98, SI.com has confirmed.

Rashad Evans (13-0-1) will defend his UFC belt May 23 against Lyoto Machida (14-0).
Old 03-11-2009, 08:12 PM   #17
Mikey202
Tight Lines !!!!

First Name: Mike
Trading: (6)
SLR Army (Served With Honor)
Mikey202 will become famous soon enoughMikey202 will become famous soon enough

That's what happens when you try to play " Too fast, Too Furious , Tokyo Drift " . R.I.P " Mask.

I hope St. Pierre didn't cheat.

Read that Rampage has torn ligiments in his jaw and a hyperextended elbow.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:42 PM   #18
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

‘Rampage’ injured; Machida gets shot at Evans
By Kevin Iole, Yahoo! Sports

Former UFC light heavyweight champion Quinton “Rampage” Jackson needs surgery on his jaw and won’t be able to fight Rashad Evans as planned on May 23 at UFC 98, UFC president Dana White said.

White said Wednesday that he would give the title shot instead to unbeaten Lyoto Machida.

Jackson said at the postfight news conference for UFC 96 at Nationwide Arena in Columbus, Ohio – in which he won a close decision from Keith Jardine to earn the title shot – that he wasn’t sure he could make it because his jaw was sore.

White said Wednesday that Jackson was examined on Tuesday in Las Vegas and it was discovered he had torn ligaments in his jaw. He also has a hyperextension of his left elbow.

Jackson will have surgery next week and will not be allowed contact for at least five weeks following.

“Rampage deserved the [title shot], but this is an awesome main event,” White said of Evans-Machida, which matches two unbeaten fighters. “A lot of people were complaining to me that Lyoto should have had the shot first. I think it’s going to be a great fight and Rampage can go get himself healthy.”

Evans is 13-0-1, with only a draw against Tito Ortiz marring his record. Machida is 14-0.

Jackson said Saturday that sparring partner Hector “Sick Dog” Ramirez had hit him with an uppercut several days prior to his win over Wanderlei Silva at UFC 92 on Dec. 27 in Las Vegas, injuring his jaw.

Jackson said he didn’t tell White about the injury. Jackson went on to knock out Silva in the first round of that fight, then almost immediately went back into training for the bout with Jardine.

The UFC had planned to make Jackson-Evans the main event of UFC 100, but changed plans on Saturday after learning interim heavyweight champion Frank Mir would be unable to train adequately for a rematch with heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar because of arthroscopic surgery on his knee.

White and matchmaker Joe Silva then decided to move Evans’ title defense to UFC 98, with the proviso that Jackson would get the bout if he won and felt he could make it and Machida would get it if Jackson felt he could not.

It would have been an unusually grueling pace for a top-tier fighter, with three high-level bouts in less than five months. Jackson, though, told White on Saturday: “You know I have your back” and promised he would fight if he could physically do it.

“It’s not the end of the world because we have a great fight to put on,” White said. “It shows you the kind of guy that Rampage is – that he was willing to sacrifice and take this fight because we needed him. You don’t forget things like that.

“But we’re lucky because we have a great fight to put in there and we don’t have problems.”
Old 03-12-2009, 09:22 AM   #19
goalie204
Have My Own Room

First Name: Myles
Trading: (12)
Bolivar
goalie204 will become famous soon enoughgoalie204 will become famous soon enough

So bj filed an "official" complaint against gsp. His lawyer says ""This was one hundred percent intentional and orchestrated," said attorney Raffi Nahabedian, who filed the complaint on behalf of Penn Monday. "B.J. truly believes that if he (St. Pierre) wasn't as slippery, it would have been a vastly different bout." - LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. So hillarious.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/14237/penn...fc-94-bout.mma
goalie204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:02 AM   #20
LordOfWu

Fedor fans, this is hillarious!

http://www.cagetoday.com/video-even-...or-in-the-ufc/