Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 12-23-2009, 04:23 PM   #161
Footbag
I Need My Space

First Name: Adam
Trading: (7)
Partagas
Footbag will become famous soon enoughFootbag will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Buying a new laptop- Apple?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
How bout a link to the machine you've chosen so we can pick that apart?
That'll be fun.
Footbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 04:29 PM   #162
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by macpappy View Post
(Side note: Does anyone else remember working an a TRS-80?)
In the 80's, one guy, Steve Jobs designed the machine, built the machine, and wrote the OS for Apple. It was not rocket surgery.
BASIC was open source. There was no graphics support.
I coded the graphics support for BASIC so I could create an interactive book that worked just like you'd read a book on a Kindle nowadays.
It was on Marine Biolgy.
I also coded music to make singing Christmas Cards that astounded people. MIDI was already there, just no BASIC support, so I coded it.
I won all sorts of accolades, and got four periods a day in middle school and high school to do genius stuff. So I did.
I smoked lots of dope, drank tons of beer, and played Galaga at Sheetz while I was supposed to be doing brilliant things.
It was awesome.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:02 PM   #163
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footbag View Post

IT has been my experience that waiting for the next best thing in computers is futile.

Most prophetic words in this thread.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:57 PM   #164
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

http://store.apple.com/us/configure/...co=MTM3NDczMDg

I know waiting is dumb as technology is dated shortly after you purchase anyway but 3.0 USB to me would make a huge difference. I thought it was supposed to come out around now?
Old 12-23-2009, 05:58 PM   #165
GreekGodX
Opa!!

Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

That link didn't save my configured laptop but i added the 7200RPM 320gb hdd. Antiglare screen, iWork, Aperture and the applecare.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:03 PM   #166
King James
Regard Me!

First Name: Jim
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
King James has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekGodX View Post
That link didn't save my configured laptop but i added the 7200RPM 320gb hdd. Antiglare screen, iWork, Aperture and the applecare.
how much is the HDD? you can probably get one 3rd party and install yourself for alot less.... it isn't that hard to do either. They made it harder with the unibody macs compared to the old ones, but still is fairly easy. Applecare is a must (ask Carlos! hahaha, although I think he may just use bestbuy warranty)
Old 12-23-2009, 06:04 PM   #167
GreekGodX
Opa!!

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by King James View Post
how much is the HDD? you can probably get one 3rd party and install yourself for alot less.... it isn't that hard to do either. They made it harder with the unibody macs compared to the old ones, but still is fairly easy. Applecare is a must (ask Carlos! hahaha, although I think he may just use bestbuy warranty)
That's all I need. Open up my laptop to save some money on a hdd and f everything up. 50 bucks for the upgraded hdd..

Wish applecare covered accidental damage. Used that a few times on my Dell
Old 12-23-2009, 06:08 PM   #168
King James
Regard Me!

Bolivar

there is always the "it just stopped working" defense.... actually works quite well at Apple. hah
Old 12-23-2009, 06:10 PM   #169
GreekGodX
Opa!!

Montecristo

Quote:
there is always the "it just stopped working" defense.... actually works quite well at Apple. hah
That works until you use your laptop after taking a shower and not drying off good enough
Old 12-23-2009, 06:24 PM   #170
King James
Regard Me!

Bolivar

well dont do a hdd swap in the shower and you should be good
Old 12-23-2009, 06:26 PM   #171
GreekGodX
Opa!!

Montecristo

Quote:
well dont do a hdd swap in the shower and you should be good
Wise words
Old 12-23-2009, 06:27 PM   #172
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

wait.. I can use my ....

nevermind.
Old 12-24-2009, 06:15 AM   #173
macpappy
Rider on the storm.

Trading: (0)
Cohiba CoastGuard (Retired)
macpappy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
In the 80's, one guy, Steve Jobs designed the machine, built the machine, and wrote the OS for Apple. It was not rocket surgery.
BASIC was open source. There was no graphics support.
I coded the graphics support for BASIC so I could create an interactive book that worked just like you'd read a book on a Kindle nowadays.
It was on Marine Biolgy.
I also coded music to make singing Christmas Cards that astounded people. MIDI was already there, just no BASIC support, so I coded it.
I won all sorts of accolades, and got four periods a day in middle school and high school to do genius stuff. So I did.
I smoked lots of dope, drank tons of beer, and played Galaga at Sheetz while I was supposed to be doing brilliant things.
It was awesome.
And all this time I thought the TRS-80 was made by Tandy/Texas Instruments.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:19 AM   #174
goalie204
Have My Own Room

First Name: Myles
Trading: (12)
Bolivar
goalie204 will become famous soon enoughgoalie204 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekGodX View Post
That's all I need. Open up my laptop to save some money on a hdd and f everything up. 50 bucks for the upgraded hdd..

Wish applecare covered accidental damage. Used that a few times on my Dell
Installing a new hd is extremely easy, but if you're not someone who takes computers apart, don't bother. A 3rd party one is much less than the one apple will sell you. Now stop dragging this out and just buy it and lock/delete the thread, kthx
goalie204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 10:54 AM   #175
Footbag
I Need My Space

Partagas

You would get much better performance from an SSD over a HDD. HDD's are the current weak link in computer hardware. SSD's while still new and expensive are very fast. I'm picking one up right after Christmas. Hopefully the Intel's will get a price drop, or I'll get a gift card.

In looking at your build, it looks like you are spending $2500+. Wow! I knew Macs were expensive, but I honestly had no idea they were that expensive.

Last edited by Footbag; 12-24-2009 at 11:06 AM.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:35 AM   #176
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
IIRC, that was Wozniak, not Jobs. Jobs was more of the marketing type.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 01:17 PM   #177
goalie204
Have My Own Room

Bolivar
goalie204 will become famous soon enoughgoalie204 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
You would get much better performance from an SSD over a HDD. HDD's are the current weak link in computer hardware. SSD's while still new and expensive are very fast. I'm picking one up right after Christmas. Hopefully the Intel's will get a price drop, or I'll get a gift card.

In looking at your build, it looks like you are spending $2500+. Wow! I knew Macs were expensive, but I honestly had no idea they were that expensive.
Solid state drives are great, and fast, but the size of drive you get for the money isn't worth it..yet. In time they'll come down in price, but for now, it's more economical to get a normal hard drive, which are still great, just not the latest and the greatest.
Old 12-24-2009, 01:34 PM   #178
Footbag
I Need My Space

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalie204 View Post
Solid state drives are great, and fast, but the size of drive you get for the money isn't worth it..yet. In time they'll come down in price, but for now, it's more economical to get a normal hard drive, which are still great, just not the latest and the greatest.
Perhaps for the OP's macbook, but after the initial outlay, it's really not that much for the gain. You would have to settle for 128GB or pay a lot more for the large drive which probably isn't worth it. Yes they will be better in the future, but as I said before waiting for technology is futile.

I just built up an overclocked i7 photo-processing rig, and there is no better component to look for a performance gain. I'm considering going dual 80GB for my rig. Dual OS boot with a switch on the case and enough space on each drive for programs.

That said, 95% of users probably wouldn't notice the difference.
Old 12-24-2009, 06:53 PM   #179
goalie204
Have My Own Room

Bolivar

Quote:
That said, 95% of users probably wouldn't notice the difference.
exactly.
Old 12-25-2009, 05:33 AM   #180
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
IIRC, that was Wozniak, not Jobs. Jobs was more of the marketing type.
You're right, it was Woz. Jobs left in 80-something then came back later.
Jobs sold the Apple to a shop, then he and Woz and a few other dudes cranked out 50 machines to fill their first order.