Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 12-11-2010, 01:14 PM   #1
LostAbbott
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mychal
Trading: (23)
PL
LostAbbott will become famous soon enough
Default Re: (Official?) Pocket Knife Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
I still call dibbs if that Kestrel comes up for sale.
If I ever sell it, I will talk to you first.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:11 PM   #2
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Now that you mention HAKs....I think also a nice waved knife would be a good gift. Anything from Emerson, I also like the Tarani Karambit. I'm about to send mine out to get waved I'll post up a picture in a month or so. Basically you just pull the knife out of your pocket and it's blade is deployed in that one swift motion.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 06:12 PM   #3
cigars_n_scotch

How many of you who daily carry a knife work in a white collar job? Or maybe the question is do any of you who are white collar workers carry a knife? The reason I ask is because I like knives but I find it hard to justify carrying one daily because of my job and the type of work that I do (there's really no need for one on a daily basis) I wear either a suit to work (if I'm meeting with clients) or slacks/khaki's and a button-down dress shirt. Most of the time I just leave it in my truck.

Sometimes I wish I did something more casual, but this pays the bills...
Old 12-10-2010, 06:18 PM   #4
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigars_n_scotch View Post
How many of you who daily carry a knife work in a white collar job? Or maybe the question is do any of you who are white collar workers carry a knife? The reason I ask is because I like knives but I find it hard to justify carrying one daily because of my job and the type of work that I do (there's really no need for one on a daily basis) I wear either a suit to work (if I'm meeting with clients) or slacks/khaki's and a button-down dress shirt. Most of the time I just leave it in my truck.

Sometimes I wish I did something more casual, but this pays the bills...
I Carry One To Work Maybe 1/2 The Time To Open Boxes, Etc. I Always Carry A "Cheaper" Knife In Case I Lose It.
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 06:40 PM   #5
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

If you work in a white collar job just keep a nice folder with you. I use my knives to open packages and letters mostly. I don't work white collar jobs but no one is going to frown on you for carrying a knife. Get a nice CRK and people will find it quite classy. You can always remove the pocket clip and let a knife sit in your pockets. Attaching a paracord lanyard helps but it kinda loses the gentleman effect. I always have at least one knife on me, sometimes two.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:39 PM   #6
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

Trading: (14)
HdM
Wolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the rough

Im by no means a white collar guy, however, my father worked his way up through the banking ladder from delivery boy in 1950 to Sr VP in 2009. He always had a nice folder in his pocket. In my case I refer to this style as a Church knife. The picture attached would be a nice option with a good combination of form and function. (click the picture to go to the website for price)
Old 12-27-2010, 07:31 AM   #7
Hippi3Slay3r
ಥ_ಥ

First Name: Kyle
Trading: (22)
Bolivar
Hippi3Slay3r will become famous soon enoughHippi3Slay3r will become famous soon enough

Im not a huge knife guy but I do love me some Balisongs!

Christmas gift from my buddy (Benchmade 51 Morpho)

And the small but ready to grow collection
t2b
BM 51 Morpho, Bradley Kimura II, Bradley Kimura VII, Bradley Mayhem titanium

From what I understand the Bradley's are all made by other knife companys under the Bradley name, The Kimuras are made by Kershaw and the Mayhem by Benchmade.

~Kyle
Old 12-27-2010, 01:01 PM   #8
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba

Nice balisongs I've always wanted to try flipping one of those....someday.
Old 12-27-2010, 01:15 PM   #9
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

I bought myself a Microtech L-UDT for Christmas based on Greg's comments. Man that is one sweet knife!!! I got it from Blade HQ and was very pleased with the service. I didn't shop the price much but am happy even if I paid a few $$s too much.
Old 12-27-2010, 01:17 PM   #10
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator View Post
I bought myself a Microtech L-UDT for Christmas based on Greg's comments. Man that is one sweet knife!!! I got it from Blade HQ and was very pleased with the service. I didn't shop the price much but am happy even if I paid a few $$s too much.
My ED Carry, Brother! Great Choice! I Think I Bought Mine From The Same Place! Best Prices I've Found, Anyway.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:00 PM   #11
LostAbbott
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mychal
Trading: (23)
PL
LostAbbott will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Old 12-27-2010, 03:57 PM   #12
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostAbbott View Post
I knew that was coming... I was hoping I didn't get busted as I suck at pics, but here are a couple:
Name:  IMG_9190.jpg
Views: 738
Size:  23.8 KB

Name:  IMG_9191.jpg
Views: 675
Size:  25.1 KB

This is the nicest knife I have ever bought and I love it. I ain't going down another slope!!!
Old 12-27-2010, 04:10 PM   #13
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba

Quote:
I knew that was coming... I was hoping I didn't get busted as I suck at pics, but here are a couple:
Attachment 8266

Attachment 8267

This is the nicest knife I have ever bought and I love it. I ain't going down another slope!!!
Aw, Come On, Brent! You Need At Least Another 100 Top Notch Knives To Display In Your ManCave!
Old 12-27-2010, 04:31 PM   #14
tobii3

Yeah....Like THIS!

Old 12-27-2010, 06:54 PM   #15
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by longknocker View Post
Aw, Come On, Brent! You Need At Least Another 100 Top Notch Knives To Display In Your ManCave!
Uh... NO!!! I'm tellin' ya. I love this one... but guns are more my thing. I have more of them than I need too, but I can't see myself going over the cliff on knives. Unless of course I kill the monthly box split
Old 12-27-2010, 06:42 PM   #16
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba

Quote:
You are in good hands with BladeHQ. They are currently taking care of a problem in one of my autos for me. Great vendor, they deal with Microtech so you don't have to. That's a bigger favor then it sounds like. Getting a hold of Microtech by anything other than Email.......just doesn't happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajacobs View Post
Rick Hinderer XM-18 for me. I don't think a better folder is made.
You sir are correct, there is no better folder made....oh wait yeah there is DUH the XM-24 . I keed I keed. The XM-18/24 are the best folders out there IMHO. I gotta get one someday. I've carried one before though.
Old 12-27-2010, 03:02 PM   #17
BeerAdvocate
BeerHunter

First Name: Travis
Trading: (45)
VR
BeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura about

I got a nice Spyderco pocket knife for Christmas
Old 12-27-2010, 03:25 PM   #18
Zeuceone
You're next

First Name: G
Trading: (16)
LGC
Zeuceone has disabled reputation

Escape a S&W spring assist.
Zeuceone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 03:44 PM   #19
Zeuceone
You're next

First Name: G
Trading: (16)
LGC
Zeuceone has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeuceone View Post
escape a s&w spring assist.
i edc
Zeuceone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 03:38 PM   #20
jquirit
Angry Asian Dwarf

Trading: (3)
jquirit has disabled reputation

I use to EDC a Benchmade 3550SBK, but then I got a bit worried of losing it (and I need to send it back to Benchmade for some refurbishment as it's been well used) and switched over to a simple Kershaw Oso Sweet. The semi-assisted open is very nice (quick flick to get it open), and there's a nice heft to it.

It may not be sexy as my auto, but I'm also not going to get worried if it goes lost.