Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 07-29-2010, 08:22 AM   #141
BC-Axeman

Default Re: Let's see those '10 gardens

I finally got a soil test kit. It tests N-P-K on a scale of 0-4, Depleted to Surplus.
My results are:
Nitrogen 2, adequate but most plants want more
Phosphorus 3.5, plenty
Potassium (K) 0-1, barely readable, big problem
Soil ph is 7.4
How do I fix this?
Old 07-29-2010, 08:45 AM   #142
mmblz

Trading: (3)
Partagas
mmblz has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmblz View Post
the only thing we have resembling a garden so far is a big field of buckwheat.
this was all weeds / wild grass / stones / branches / roots.
growing buckwheat to improve the soil, then hopefully planting lawn this fall.
tilling it under tomorrow for the second crop of buckwheat...
tilling
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tilling.jpg (60.7 KB, 160 views)
Old 07-29-2010, 08:47 AM   #143
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

First Name: Boffa
Trading: (48)
Partagas
HK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of light

Still eating lots of maters down here. Having to throw some out because we can't eat them fast enough. Picked my first three habaneros yesterday. <--- mouth on fire
HK3- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:52 PM   #144
BC-Axeman

I just received a note from a local tomato grower that there is a problem with the Tomato Russet Mite in this area this year. A nasty critter that is probably why my potatoes up and wilted suddenly. I am going to take a close look with a lens and find out.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:55 PM   #145
mmblz

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmblz View Post
tilling
our damn (brand new) tractor keeps having problems.
didn't get enough front weights to use the tiller
fuses blew a few times while trying to till, then stopped long enough to finish front yard.
tiller was apparently installed wrong so it broke the pto shaft
then traction assist or whatever it is called got stuck on, so mowing was tearing up the lawn on turns
now fuses blow so often we can't get anything done.
tractor back at dealer
Old 08-03-2010, 02:10 PM   #146
BC-Axeman

How much power on the tractor? It looks small for a tiller. But then I have an 8hp walk behind that tills a 2ft swath OK.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:20 PM   #147
mmblz

Partagas

27 hp
John Deere dealer recommended and sold us the tiller...
Old 08-03-2010, 02:56 PM   #148
BC-Axeman

Plenty-o-power.
There should be a shear pin that shears before the shaft snaps. Or a slip clutch link.

I hope it comes back from the shop in good to go shape.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:21 PM   #149
mmblz

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC-Axeman View Post
Plenty-o-power.
There should be a shear pin that shears before the shaft snaps. Or a slip clutch link.

I hope it comes back from the shop in good to go shape.
yup, theory is the slip clutch was not set up right.

still no clue what's with the fuses.

hoping our problems are over after this round - we bought a deere in hopes it would "just work"
Old 08-09-2010, 09:10 PM   #150
BC-Axeman

I used a microscope on my potato and tomato leaves and verified I have Tomato Russet Mites. So small yet so harmful. There is an organic seed extract from the Neem tree that is supposed to control these. $7 a treatment. Repeat every week. It also works on powder mildew which is hitting my squash and melons bad right now. This is the most challenging year I have had yet. My corn is dwarfed by the total lack of potassium. Everything is slowed down by the unusual cold summer. I can't wait until next year.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:13 AM   #151
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trading: (159)
Trinidad
wayner123 has disabled reputation

Anyone got any updated pictures??

Here is my container garden for the Fall 2010 season:

Week 2 in the containers (Week 1 was spent in cups for germination):

Week 3:

I still have 2 more buckets with California Wonder Bells in them, but they haven't hardened off yet.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:59 AM   #152
BC-Axeman

Between the non-summer out here and the poor soil it wasn't worth taking a picture of my garden. Add to that the mite infestation and it was even sadder. I am going to work on getting the Ph down and the nitrogen and potassium up during the winter so next year I'll be ready.
We got some tomatoes, squash and peppers, some snap peas but few beans, no corn, small melons and pumpkins, few cucumbers, some beets and radishes, and it looks like there will be some onions and leeks. So not a total loss.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:08 AM   #153
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

Partagas
HK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of light

Got tired of eating tomatos so they are just falling off in the garden now. Still getting some peppers here and there.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:08 AM   #154
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I made one batch of spaghetti sauce. I'm picking peppers to make red sauce peppers.
Those are the peppers in kethchup and vinegar and stuff that you slather over crackers and cream cheese during football games. They're extremely addictive and incredibly good.
I got too hot and my back was killing me, so I came in to take some dope and put on a pair of shorts. Now I'm gonna crawl around on my belly and finish up. Then I'll spend the rest of the afternoon cleaning peppers and watching bad movies on Netflix.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:32 AM   #155
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trinidad

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
I made one batch of spaghetti sauce. I'm picking peppers to make red sauce peppers.
Those are the peppers in kethchup and vinegar and stuff that you slather over crackers and cream cheese during football games. They're extremely addictive and incredibly good.
I got too hot and my back was killing me, so I came in to take some dope and put on a pair of shorts. Now I'm gonna crawl around on my belly and finish up. Then I'll spend the rest of the afternoon cleaning peppers and watching bad movies on Netflix.
Got any pics of the garden?? Or a video update?
Old 09-21-2010, 12:53 PM   #156
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner123 View Post
Video!!!!!!!
Old 09-22-2010, 07:24 AM   #157
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trinidad

Week 4 of my bucket Garden:

Old 09-22-2010, 09:42 AM   #158
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner123 View Post
I have no idea where my video taking camera is. I've been traveling all over creation for weeks. I leave here Sunday for Ohio, then Washington Pa, then Pittsburgh, then Nashville. That's over a span of seven days.
All I really have track of anymore is my suitcase.
I think it all calms down after this. All my doctor appointments will be done and all my torture tests will be done. That'll be right in time for frost to ruin my garden.

If I can find my little camera, I'll try to get a video up. No promises though.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:53 AM   #159
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC-Axeman View Post
I finally got a soil test kit. It tests N-P-K on a scale of 0-4, Depleted to Surplus.
My results are:
Nitrogen 2, adequate but most plants want more
Phosphorus 3.5, plenty
Potassium (K) 0-1, barely readable, big problem
Soil ph is 7.4
How do I fix this?
Dolomite Limestone or lime chips for the PH, Potash for the potassium, and tons of organic material for the nitrogen.
People here use wood ashes for the potassium, I don't.

The only way to get soil to balance so you never have to fight it is to add tons of organic material. Compost, straw, cow manure, anything.
It takes an incredible amount, but it's the only way to build and maintain good soil.
You live in the woods. Your dirt is just like it's supposed to be. It'll take some work to make your garden soil good, and it'll take a couple years.
If you gather all the stuff you can, build a giant compost heap, and get that started, you can use potash and nitrogen fertilizer and crap like that till you bring your soil around.
Don't use powdered limestone. Use limestone chips and work them rocks right in the soil. Powdered limestone lasts for a minute. Chips last forever.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:55 AM   #160
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Oh yeah, you can use greensand for potassium, too. It's rock. It's like using limestone chips. It's a one time solution that lasts forever in your garden.