Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 03-23-2010, 07:13 AM   #141
Resipsa

Default Re: Cool iPhone/touch Apps, what do you like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack04 View Post
The developer of the video compression software I use reported that the iPhone 3GS is capable of playing high profile video files that are not accepted by iTunes.
I'd ask the developer if and how he got the videos
on the iPhone. Without knowing more
it sounds like they are saying the hardware is capable of handling those videos, which doesn't necessarily mean they will work on the phone. A while back it was reported that a developer had gotten the 3gs to run 720p video. Yes, the hardware can handle that, but the firmware on the phone doesn't allow it yet so it's really a moot point. From your post that may be the issue here
Old 03-23-2010, 07:27 AM   #142
rack04
Lebowski Urban Achiever

First Name: Justin
Trading: (20)
HUpmann
rack04 will become famous soon enoughrack04 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resipsa View Post
it sounds like they are saying the hardware is capable of handling those videos, which doesn't necessarily mean they will work on the phone. A while back it was reported that a developer had gotten the 3gs to run 720p video. Yes, the hardware can handle that, but the firmware on the phone doesn't allow it yet so it's really a moot point. From your post that may be the issue here
There is a video on YouTube of a iPhone 3GS playing 1080p. Not that it is that useful on a smaller screen. I found a application called Air Sharing that looks to be exactly what I'm looking for. I'll try it and report back if anyone is interested. Obviously I know this isn't that useful because of the space and battery a HD movie would consume but I'm a geek and would love to see it work.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:43 AM   #143
aich75013
Feeling at Home

First Name: Adrian
Trading: (25)
Montecristo
aich75013 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Anyone know of a way to bypass iTunes to load videos to the iPhone. I have some video files with quality settings that are not supported by iTunes but will play fine on the device. I just need a way around iTunes.
Try googling for "iTunes alternatives sync."
I used SharePod once on my iPod to retrieve some music. Not on my iPhone though.
aich75013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 12:58 PM   #144
Resipsa

YouMail, tons of funny ass messages for your callers to hear, check it out.
Old 03-26-2010, 02:47 PM   #145
drevim
On the inside looking out

First Name: Ian
Trading: (6)
Partagas
drevim has disabled reputation

Quote:

I think it is fair to guess the developer may have a "broken" phone. Which without stirring up any controversy about whether braking is good or bad, if you have done the 3.0.3 update, this is truly a moot point.

Much like other things that can be done on the Iphone, it can't be done in the parameters of Apple.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:16 PM   #146
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

First Name: Mike
Trading: (53)
HUpmann
Ahbroody has disabled reputation

Not an Iphone owner, but justin.tv app for iphone released.
Ahbroody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 03:31 PM   #147
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

First Name: Mike
Trading: (53)
HUpmann
Ahbroody has disabled reputation

http://blog.justin.tv/justintv-iphone-app/
Ahbroody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 04:42 PM   #148
andrew

Chess with friends is pretty cool.
Doodle jump
Facebook
Guitar toolkit
Old 04-12-2010, 12:40 PM   #149
St. Lou Stu
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tim
Trading: (21)
HdM
St. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the rough

May not be REALLY cool... but a **** ton of excellent reading and facts.

BJCP Style Guidelines

Pretending to play golf since 1989
St. Lou Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 01:02 PM   #150
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know if I've posted these, but I'm gonna anyways...
Angry Birds - Wicked fun physics based game. Use a slingshot that chucks birds at objects to get to the pigs. The graphics, sound and gameplay is beyond reproach for a cartoon-y game. Love it.
Olive Tree NKJV Bible - They just added a bunch of features in the latest update that makes it very easy to search and a took tons of bugs out. It's very useful now.
MLB.com at Bat 2010 - Streaming ballgames. Have to have the mlb.tv subscription, but it's well worth the money if you love ball.
Speedtest - By speedtest.net. Good for checking jacked wifi to get a good connection speed.
5-0 Radio Pro - Scanner app with a zillion feeds. Good if you're hiding from the cops.
Sportacular - Quick scores and boxes. The best sports app I've found.
The Weather Channel - Nice, clean weather with radar.
DoodleJump - It's just fun. I've long since grown tired, but it was fun for waiting rooms.
VoicePlus - Voice changer. Fun for messing with the kids.
TFLN - Mindless drivel, lots of hilarity in there. It's Texts from Last Night. User submitted humorous texts. Very adult and very tacky.
UPS - Check your tracking numbers.
USA Today - Great news app. I have always loved USA Today, so it fits perfect. It's very well done, too.
Goby - The coolest "What's going on here where I'm stuck?" app I've seen yet. It pulls up tons of things to do in the area you're in. Even obscure stuff like live music at the winery. Kind of a "local entertainment" newspaper page for wherever you are. It's just plain cool.
MoonPhase - I always pay a lot of attention to the moon. It's a nice clean app for finding out everything I need or want to know.
Old 04-15-2010, 03:13 PM   #151
Resipsa

Giving Opera Mini a test run. Was previously using Perfect Browser, but I think Opera Mini might win out. We'll see.
Old 04-15-2010, 03:16 PM   #152
LasciviousXXX
Team of 11...Always

First Name: Týr
Trading: (8)
VR
LasciviousXXX has disabled reputation

Another Opera Mini user tryout....its wicked!

Also DL'd the Justin.TV app and its not half bad on a WiFi connection. Haven't had a chance to try it out on 3G yet, will check back.
LasciviousXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 03:46 PM   #153
rack04
Lebowski Urban Achiever

HUpmann

Any tips on making cheap international calls using the iphone connected via wifi? My wife and I are going to Mexico in a couple weeks and I want to call home occasionally.
Old 04-15-2010, 03:52 PM   #154
Resipsa

Quote:
Any tips on making cheap international calls using the iphone connected via wifi? My wife and I are going to Mexico in a couple weeks and I want to call home occasionally.
Justin, ATT started allowing VOIP over 3G about a month back, several apps (Fring, etc) are updated to do this now. Might be the cheapest way to do this.
Old 04-15-2010, 04:04 PM   #155
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Justin, ATT started allowing VOIP over 3G about a month back, several apps (Fring, etc) are updated to do this now. Might be the cheapest way to do this.
I think Skype just made this possible, too. I'm thinking I got something in the mail the other day. I don't have use for it, but it might be worth a look.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:54 PM   #156
rack04
Lebowski Urban Achiever

HUpmann

So if I understand correctly then I can make free skype to skype calls if I have wifi? I would just need to have the person I'm trying to call install skype.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:52 PM   #157
Resipsa

Forgot that using 3g for data would probably incur data roaming charges, not sure how that works out of the country.

As far as I know, skype iphone app has always worked over wifi, but whether there are charges or not I don't know.

I don't use it, I use ICall, which is free. One of my brothers lives in the mountains and I get no cell service at their house, so I just use Icall if I need to make an outgoing call over their Wifi network.

ICall lets you use Wifi to make voip calls, but not to a computer directly to a house phone or cell phone. much better than having to talk to somebody sitting at a computer. Downside is the calls are limited to 5 minutes I think, but you can call right back if you go over that so really not an issue for me.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:53 PM   #158
sikk50
Just Bored Really...

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (13)
LGC
sikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of light

Just found an app called Gorilla Bob. If you guys like shooting games it's pretty sick for $.99 not to mention his life bar is a cigar!
Old 04-29-2010, 03:27 PM   #159
mithrilG60
Feeling at Home

First Name: Geoff
Trading: (2)
Cuaba
mithrilG60 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
So if I understand correctly then I can make free skype to skype calls if I have wifi? I would just need to have the person I'm trying to call install skype.
Yes, or you could just sign up for a Skype account and buy some credit to use while on vacation. Skype's LD rates are generally much better than telco's. With Skype credit you can call from Skype directly to any land or mobile number as if you were using a normal phone for the dialing. The Skype app only works over wifi though, not wireless data. Probably a good thing since that would jack your data usage pretty quickly.

As for apps: AirVideo is absolutely brilliant.

Works on the latest iTouch as well as iPhone and iPad. Real time conversion and streaming off your computer for pretty much every media format your can think off: avi, mpg, mkv, wmv, etc. It's also bandwidth aware so it will scale back the video quality if you're connecting over 3G and internet instead of over your home wifi. The server software is free, the full client costs $2.99. This one app is making me lust after an iPad, so perfect for watching tv and movies on the deck with a cigar!!
mithrilG60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 12:48 PM   #160
St. Lou Stu
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tim
Trading: (21)
HdM
St. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the rough

Xe Currency converter has been working pretty slick for me.

Pretending to play golf since 1989
St. Lou Stu is offline   Reply With Quote