Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 06-29-2010, 04:01 PM   #121
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

Trading: (79)
PL
Mr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really nice
Default Re: Let's see those '10 gardens

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK3- View Post
Really cool setup you got going on there Lance.

I dusted my plants the other day because I saw some droppings on the tomato plant leaves from a critter. Upon further investigation I found some small limbs and leaves missing. Forkin bastages can eat quick cant they!?!?
Tomato Hornworms. Filthy Bastages.

Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 04:59 PM   #122
Salvelinus
Have My Own Room

First Name: Brendan
Trading: (12)
Salvelinus will become famous soon enoughSalvelinus will become famous soon enough

Just caught up to this thread. I tried a garden last year and failed miserably. This year I took the previous owners sand box and made a raised bed out of it. I put some matting under it because I hate weeding. The rest of my lawn is basically sand so it drains well.

I think I overplanted, but I couldn't bear to not plant any of the plants I paid for. I have been hitting the lettuce hard for the past two weeks. I just pulled all my radishes and don't plan on doing another batch. I have 3 pepper varieties, some bush beans, and cucumbers in the bed along with the lettuce. There is some basil, rosemary, and chive in a small box out of the picture as well as a couple of tomato plants. My hops are growing like weeds right now as well. Can't wait for homebrew with homegrown

Salvelinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 05:24 PM   #123
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

The garden looks gorgeous, Brendan. Nice work!!!

Here's a pic of a tobacco leave. My hand is in there to give an idea of size. It's amazing how fast they grow. They're not even to my knees, but the leaves on the bottom are huge. They're beautiful this year.

Old 06-29-2010, 05:33 PM   #124
BC-Axeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabidsquirrel View Post
Those squarish things look like a chimney liner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonesledn View Post
i agree... chimney flue sections
That makes sense as there used to be a chimney in the house that got destroyed in the '89 Loma Prieta earthquake.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:12 AM   #125
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

First Name: Boffa
Trading: (48)
Partagas
HK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Tomato Hornworms. Filthy Bastages.
Sure enough, that's the lil POS for sure!

Took a newer photo of my tomato plants yesterday. I enjoy looking at the change week to week. That vine is slowly taking over my shed!!!!!

HK3- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:20 AM   #126
rack04
Lebowski Urban Achiever

First Name: Justin
Trading: (20)
HUpmann
rack04 will become famous soon enoughrack04 will become famous soon enough

When you all saying "dusted" veggies what product are you referring to? Up until now I haven't had a problem with insects but I would like to know what products are safe to use on edibles. I think I have a possum problem but that's another story.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:28 AM   #127
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack04 View Post
When you all saying "dusted" veggies what product are you referring to? Up until now I haven't had a problem with insects but I would like to know what products are safe to use on edibles. I think I have a possum problem but that's another story.
Sevin.
I don't use powder, I use spray because I feel it works a lot better and it doesn't leave residue on the plants, and it doesn't block sunlight.
It doesn't look pretty, either.
Tons of people use the powder, I think mostly cause it's easy to sprinkle on. You don't have to load a sprayer and everything. My garden is big enough that if I want to get any effect, I have to load a sprayer.
It's just preference, really. Like cigars.
Oh yeah, they do have a little spray bottle with pre-mixed Sevin now. I bought one awhile back and I use it to spot kill stuff. I refill it myself. I mostly wanted it cause it was a bright red bottle and it makes it easy to find.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:30 AM   #128
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Took a newer photo of my tomato plants yesterday. I enjoy looking at the change week to week. That vine is slowly taking over my shed!!!!!
Haliburtage, your tomatoes are gonna be red in no time.
My plan is to raid your garden while you're on vacation.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:33 AM   #129
rack04
Lebowski Urban Achiever

First Name: Justin
Trading: (20)
HUpmann
rack04 will become famous soon enoughrack04 will become famous soon enough

I removed a couple of sad looking rose bushes and I can't stand looking at empty beds. Are there any veggies and/or spices that can I can plant this time of the season? This summer we will see many 100 degree days and the spot I will plant gets majority shade.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:07 AM   #130
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

Partagas
HK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
Haliburtage, your tomatoes are gonna be red in no time.
My plan is to raid your garden while you're on vacation.
My dad and dogs will be guarding my veggies!
Old 06-30-2010, 08:08 AM   #131
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack04 View Post
Quote:
Sevin.
I don't use powder, I use spray because I feel it works a lot better and it doesn't leave residue on the plants, and it doesn't block sunlight.
It doesn't look pretty, either.
Tons of people use the powder, I think mostly cause it's easy to sprinkle on. You don't have to load a sprayer and everything. My garden is big enough that if I want to get any effect, I have to load a sprayer.
It's just preference, really. Like cigars.
Oh yeah, they do have a little spray bottle with pre-mixed Sevin now. I bought one awhile back and I use it to spot kill stuff. I refill it myself. I mostly wanted it cause it was a bright red bottle and it makes it easy to find.
I do the dust because I'm too lazy to mix and spray. Scotts right though, the powder is a mess so if you go that route don't dust heavily in one spot!
Old 06-30-2010, 08:13 AM   #132
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
My dad and dogs will be guarding my veggies!
Means nothing, I'm a ninja.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:19 AM   #133
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

Partagas

Quote:
Yes you are.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:40 AM   #134
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

Trading: (79)
PL
Mr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really nice

Quote:
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 03:24 PM   #135
bigswol2
Feeling at Home

Trading: (7)
bigswol2 will become famous soon enoughbigswol2 will become famous soon enough

Great looking gardens guys!
bigswol2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:21 AM   #136
BC-Axeman

I have this houseplant, it's a Dracena fragrans.

It's called a "corn plant" in the house plant trade. This one is about 20 years old. It gets too tall and breaks sometimes. Then we stick the broken branch into another pot or back in this same pot and it will grow.
A couple of days ago my wife asked me if I had noticed the flowers on this plant. I had not. I looked up and saw these.

None had opened yet, though. Now that they are opening it is obvious why they are called "fragrans". Intense lily smell, beautiful but overpowering in the evening. We might have to cut it off if it gets much stronger. It looks like it will be opening for a while.

Last edited by BC-Axeman; 07-06-2010 at 10:22 AM. Reason: forgot to scale down image
Old 07-16-2010, 07:42 AM   #137
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

Partagas

Bump for the gardens.

Picking tomatoes like crazy down here. So far I've managed to fill two large mixing bowls with them.

My vine that was climbing my shed fell down after a storm earlier in the week. I had to hack some of the vines off and prop it back up so it will keep growing. Everyday it latches onto my pepper plants and I have to remove them. Note to self- Don't plant vines close to the veggies!
Old 07-16-2010, 08:34 AM   #138
mmblz

Trading: (3)
Partagas
mmblz has disabled reputation

the only thing we have resembling a garden so far is a big field of buckwheat.
this was all weeds / wild grass / stones / branches / roots.
growing buckwheat to improve the soil, then hopefully planting lawn this fall.
tilling it under tomorrow for the second crop of buckwheat...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg field.jpg (34.2 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg buckwheat.jpg (48.3 KB, 137 views)
Old 07-16-2010, 10:05 AM   #139
BC-Axeman

My new soil is so porous that it dries out quickly. A great hassle. The pumpkins, squash and melons are taking off. The regular green cukes are looking good but the lemon ones aren't. It has only just the last few days gotten hot enough to start setting tomatoes so we'll see how that goes. I lined all the paths with weedblock and covered them in gravel and finished the french drain (for the rainy season) this last weekend. My back still hurts. Pics when I can get to them.
I was going to put up a garden webcam with something like half hour updates. I have the camera and the site but not the time.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:28 AM   #140
BC-Axeman

I think this whole thing will be much better next year.