Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Health and Fitness

Old 03-30-2011, 12:56 PM   #1221
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Losing Weight with Andysutherland

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrecco View Post
Are there any Trainers in here who can help me put a workout program together??? I am 6'1'' 225#'s Average Build...

I am looking to loose some fat and bulk up... Because of my profession I am not looking to be under 200#'s... But if I can loose the fat and build the muscle I would be thrilled...

I really wanna do this but i currently just lack the motovation... I hate going to the gym because I DON"T KNOW WHAT I AM DOING... I need to go there with a set schedule and know what I have to do and get done...

I am a member of American Family Fitness... If you know the place its HUGE... 3 pools, Racket Ball Courts, Full size basket ball court, all the equipment in the world, and many classes (i am not into taking classes)...

Hope someone can help me out...

RON
There are some people in the pumping iron thread that could possibly help you out with a routine:

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...+iron&page=261

Lots of knowledgable people in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
Congrats Andy. I've been somewhat following this thread, more of late as I'm trying to lose more weight myself. About 2.5 years ago I was around 295-300lbs. After my Mom passed, I made a decision to make some lifestyle changes. Cut way back on processed foods, increase fruits/veggies, less protein. Over the course of two years, I dropped ~30lbs and was maintaining right around the 265-270 mark. Then two weeks ago i was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. My A1C test came back at 249. Ouch! Since then I've cut back on the carbs, increased my veggie intake even more and bumped up my protein a bit. Big thing was finally getting off my butt and start walking. I do 2-2.5 miles 5 days a week. Last week I was down to 260.6 (God i wanted into the 250's), and I know I've lost a bit more since then. With the meds and the diet change, my blood sugar's around 120 now. I"m hoping to get down to 225lbs and hopefully off the meds.

Keep up the good work.
Congrats to you on the hard work! Keep it up b/c as you can see, it's definitely worth it.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:57 PM   #1222
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
There's a thread here that the muscleheads have, I thinking it's called "Pumping Your Buddy with Zemekone and Icehog3" or something like that.

Insert quote here.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:59 PM   #1223
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Ronald, you might also want to try and give Shawn (Silverfox) a pm and he might can give you some info for a losing fat, bulking up routine. He had some killer success with that this past year.

Insert quote here.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:17 PM   #1224
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
Lol
Old 03-31-2011, 08:20 AM   #1225
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Ronald, check out bodybuilding.com. There are a lot of routines on there that are good for beginners and pros.

Insert quote here.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:22 AM   #1226
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Bought a new home scale yesterday to track my progress myself. With the nearly the same clothes I had on at the doctor, I was 259. Seems pretty accurate compared to the docs scale as my last weight with him was 6 days ago.

My question is when do you guys take your weight readings? First thing in the morning? Sans clothes? I think for consistency sake, that's what I'm going to do. This morning i was 251.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:24 AM   #1227
Texan in Mexico
Feeling at Home

First Name: Travis
Trading: (0)
LGC
Texan in Mexico has disabled reputation

Morning all - had a good day yesterday, didn't get home from work real late so now walking at night but set on it today.
Posted via Mobile Device
Texan in Mexico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:29 AM   #1228
hscmit
Have My Own Room

First Name: James
Bolivar
hscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Bought a new home scale yesterday to track my progress myself. With the nearly the same clothes I had on at the doctor, I was 259. Seems pretty accurate compared to the docs scale as my last weight with him was 6 days ago.

My question is when do you guys take your weight readings? First thing in the morning? Sans clothes? I think for consistency sake, that's what I'm going to do. This morning i was 251.
It doesnt really matter as long as you consistently replicate the same situation (ie morning/ evening, w/ or w/out clothes). All you are looking for is an apples to apples type comparison.
hscmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:46 AM   #1229
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by hscmit View Post
It doesnt really matter as long as you consistently replicate the same situation (ie morning/ evening, w/ or w/out clothes). All you are looking for is an apples to apples type comparison.
James is correct.

Insert quote here.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:49 AM   #1230
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

That's the plan. Basically out of the shower in the morning, before I put clothes on (well, boxers anyway).

Very happy with my results so far. After my walk last night, i felt so good. Definitely the endorphine high.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:51 AM   #1231
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
That's the plan. Basically out of the shower in the morning, before I put clothes on (well, boxers anyway).

Very happy with my results so far. After my walk last night, i felt so good. Definitely the endorphine high.
Might I suggest before the shower? Unless you are completely dry, the water could variate your weight from time to time.

Insert quote here.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:53 AM   #1232
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

I was thinking that same thing also. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:40 AM   #1233
goalie204
Have My Own Room

First Name: Myles
Trading: (12)
Bolivar
goalie204 will become famous soon enoughgoalie204 will become famous soon enough

you really shouldn't weigh yourself more than once a week or once every 2 weeks
goalie204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:53 AM   #1234
Fordman4ever
Redneck driving a ricer!!

First Name: Earl
Trading: (26)
HUpmann AirForce (Active)
Fordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalie204 View Post

Weighing your self every day is counter productive IMHO.
Fordman4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 12:08 PM   #1235
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman4ever View Post

Weighing your self every day is counter productive IMHO.
Yea, my plan is to stick to a once a week weigh in. Right now I'm just checking this new scale to see how it performs and if there's a lot of flucuation.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:43 PM   #1236
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
My plan calls for once a week. But I agree that everyday weigh-ins are counterproductive.

Insert quote here.
Old 03-31-2011, 03:43 PM   #1237
Scottw
Going Commando

Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about

I weigh myself every morning at the same time when I wake up, before eating or drinking, before a shower and au natural. Sticking at 197. Been a year at this point since I dropped from 250. I should work out a little more but my eating habits are pretty darn good at this point.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:22 AM   #1238
goalie204
Have My Own Room

First Name: Myles
Trading: (12)
Bolivar
goalie204 will become famous soon enoughgoalie204 will become famous soon enough

the average bathroom scale does not account for muscle. Since there's no way to determine how much muscle weight you've gained (and muscle weighs more than fat), that bathroom scale is just not accurate.

Seeing a lower number on a scale may prompt a subconscious reward. It is not uncommon for people to indulge in an extra fry or dessert thanks to slight weight loss. Of course, this only leads to weight gain, and then you will be right back where you started.
Disappointment may begin to set in, and this can lead to a lack of motivation. What happens when you've been following the best weight loss program, you are on track for healthy weight loss, and your scale doesn't reflect all of this hard work? Chances are that you'll become slightly depressed, and you'll quickly lose all weight loss inspiration. It takes a long time to lose a significant amount of weight, so don't worry if you aren't seeing results right away.
Weight fluctuates according to the time of day. If you weigh yourself in the morning, and then weigh yourself the next evening, you'll find that the two numbers are drastically different. This is due to the fact that a person's weight can fluctuate up to three pounds every day.

Weighing yourself obsessively can lead to an eating disorder. Most anorexics and bulimics are infatuated with weight. In fact, some people who have never had an eating disorder may become so obsessed with the numbers on a scale that this obsession leads to an eating disorder.

copy/pasted

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/3739174
goalie204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:56 AM   #1239
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I pretty much avoid the scale unless I'm "trending". That's to say, if I start a plan, I'll watch to see if it's working, thencontinue said plan based on the results.
If I've slipped, stopped purposely, or changed meds, I watch my weight daily to make sure I'm getting enough food and water.
For instance, I just started a new med a few days ago. I should be watching to make sure I don't get dehydrated, but I'm not because I got the flu or strep or something. I'm just making sure I drink lots, which is what I have to do anyways. When I straighten out, I'll watch the trend again and then stop watching the scale.
Oddly, I know I'm really doing well when I'm NOT watching the scale.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:50 AM   #1240
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

215.6. That's the lowest yet, and i otta admit, I'm super pleased. I'm very much looking forward to 200, and anything beyond that is gravy.