Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 07-14-2010, 11:16 PM   #1
weak_link
The Stranger

First Name: Eric
Trading: (1)
Montecristo
weak_link has a spectacular aura aboutweak_link has a spectacular aura aboutweak_link has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Motorcycle Thread..

Took a ride on my supermoto this weekend and was a very naughty boy. There is an old wagon trail in the hills by my house and was paved over years ago and ignored for the most part. The road is super tight, rutted, loose gravel, rolling pavement that turns into jumps if you goose it at the right moment and no cars save for the occasional f250 playing 'hogs of the road' and trying to kill you. Pretty much horrible on anything other than a dual sport or supermoto. Anyway, I swear it's the best therapy known to man just getting out and misbehaving a little once in a while. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a maniac 90% of the time I ride but that 10% really keeps me sane.

Welcome to San Francisco:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYu7DQn5vAI nsfw due to f-bomb
weak_link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:36 AM   #2
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

First Name: Boffa
Trading: (48)
Partagas
HK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by weak_link View Post
Took a ride on my supermoto this weekend and was a very naughty boy. There is an old wagon trail in the hills by my house and was paved over years ago and ignored for the most part. The road is super tight, rutted, loose gravel, rolling pavement that turns into jumps if you goose it at the right moment and no cars save for the occasional f250 playing 'hogs of the road' and trying to kill you. Pretty much horrible on anything other than a dual sport or supermoto. Anyway, I swear it's the best therapy known to man just getting out and misbehaving a little once in a while. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a maniac 90% of the time I ride but that 10% really keeps me sane.

Welcome to San Francisco:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYu7DQn5vAI nsfw due to f-bomb
I know what you mean. I can act up on the Duke a little but not like on the KTM. Sold the supermoto less than two months ago and I still miss it everytime I go riding. Something about a dirtbike feel on the road just makes you want to twist the throttle and act like a fool. Not having a speedometer though was a little rough at times... especially going through speed traps.
HK3- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:42 PM   #3
weak_link
The Stranger

Montecristo
weak_link has a spectacular aura aboutweak_link has a spectacular aura aboutweak_link has a spectacular aura about

If you are gunna dream might as well go big and go for the 40k 1098R with tc.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:47 PM   #4
newcigarz
Smoke and Mirrors

Trading: (15)
HUpmann
newcigarz has disabled reputation

Quote:
If you are gunna dream might as well go big and go for the 40k 1098R with tc.
I like black and the 848evo is enough for me.

140hp
72 lbs/ft of torque
steering damper
monobloc brakes
370lbs dry!
newcigarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:50 PM   #5
weak_link
The Stranger

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcigarz View Post
I like black and the 848evo is enough for me.
True, they are a fantastic bikes. I just like the idea of factory tc.

Those specs are crazy. My old ass 996s with everything carbon fiber or magnesium only makes 112 rear wheel hp with a chip & pipe and is a big fat pig compared to that thing.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:28 AM   #6
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

Partagas
HK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
True, they are a fantastic bikes. I just like the idea of factory tc.

Those specs are crazy. My old ass 996s with everything carbon fiber or magnesium only makes 112 rear wheel hp with a chip & pipe and is a big fat pig compared to that thing.
The more I read about the 1198 S, the more I want it. Interesting to read the opinions of US magazines vs. UK. I have this feeling that Britain dislikes the Italians.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:03 AM   #7
weak_link
The Stranger

Montecristo

I should have also mentioned that some of the same people on said local forum bash any and all things Ducati so I guess it wasn't really a surprise.
According to them, all Ducati owners purchase them for posing at Starbucks and that's about it.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:02 PM   #8
jmsremax
Yet another Masshole

First Name: Jon
Trading: (19)
jmsremax will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I should have also mentioned that some of the same people on said local forum bash any and all things Ducati so I guess it wasn't really a surprise.
According to them, all Ducati owners purchase them for posing at Starbucks and that's about it.

I love everything about ducatis but I couldn't drive one for more than 10 minutes. My back was sore as hell and this was towards the end of the season and I had been riding my GSXR for the entire summer so I was used to how agressive their riders stance was.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:52 PM   #9
floydpink
crazy diamond

First Name: Pete
Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation

This was a good friend of mine and fraternity brother. Won't stop me from riding, but saddens me a great deal and is the 5th friend I have lost to drunk drivers hitting motorcycles.

http://www.buckslocalnews.com/articl...9468464586.txt

Last edited by floydpink; 08-04-2010 at 04:58 PM.
floydpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:03 PM   #10
Resipsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydpink View Post
This was a good friend of mine and fraternity brother. Won't stop me from riding, but saddens me a great deal and is the 5th friend I have lost to drunk drivers hitting motorcycles.

Sorry for your loss Reminds me how truly lucky I was back in June
Old 08-04-2010, 07:05 PM   #11
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydpink View Post

So sorry to hear this, Pete.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:17 PM   #12
floydpink
crazy diamond

First Name: Pete
Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
So sorry to hear this, Pete.
Thanks Tom, and Vic as well.

Man, 4 kids left without a father makes you really wonder if it was his time.

I can't stand drunk drivers.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:45 AM   #13
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

Partagas

Quote:
Ha! I for one cant stand Starbucks coffee. My wife drinks it, but for me it's like hot mud. I'm a gas station kinda coffee dude.

I think a lot of people bash ducati because they didn't go that route. It's a parallel with people who buy mustangs imo. Cheap horsepower.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:00 AM   #14
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

ERdM Navy (Retired)
Volt has disabled reputation

I am one who really doesn't care what another rides, whatever gets you on 2 wheels and you enjoy. That being said, I get my HD worked on at the local Ducati dealership. Great mecchs and a decent hourly rate. I had my metrics worked on there as well. As I have discussed with them as I waited on work, the Ducati is a bike someone buys for the "difference".

The bikes are the crudest in a appearance that I have seen amongst modern bikes. Welding left raw (not ground and finished), parts look to be bolted on where ever their is a space on the frame it will fit, etc. Even the salesman agrees with me. Although I see a few differences in the different bikes, basically they look a like to me. I assume the engineering is as good as advertised which will make them worth the cost, but they could use a little help in the aesthetics department.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:19 AM   #15
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt View Post
I am one who really doesn't care what another rides, whatever gets you on 2 wheels and you enjoy. That being said, I get my HD worked on at the local Ducati dealership. Great mecchs and a decent hourly rate. I had my metrics worked on there as well. As I have discussed with them as I waited on work, the Ducati is a bike someone buys for the "difference".

The bikes are the crudest in a appearance that I have seen amongst modern bikes. Welding left raw (not ground and finished), parts look to be bolted on where ever their is a space on the frame it will fit, etc. Even the salesman agrees with me. Although I see a few differences in the different bikes, basically they look a like to me. I assume the engineering is as good as advertised which will make them worth the cost, but they could use a little help in the aesthetics department.
You've hurt my feelings. Very true. Like children, everyone likes their own more than others.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:47 PM   #16
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

ERdM Navy (Retired)
Volt has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK3- View Post
You've hurt my feelings. Very true. Like children, everyone likes their own more than others.
In the past 5 years I have owned 2 Hondas, 1 Yamaha and a HD. I don't have a brand that I am stuck on, just how each particular bike meets my current needs. Never understood this "alligence" thing to a manufacturer.... Well, maybe I would if they were paying me to ride it
Old 07-26-2010, 09:46 AM   #17
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

Partagas

Anyone tried the Pirelli Angel ST tires yet? Thinking about ordering a set because they are the dual compound... My current Metzler Racetec K2's are wearing fast. I don't do track days so I really don't need a track tire.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:32 PM   #18
LockOut
Burn Baby Burn

First Name: Tom
Trading: (12)
Bolivar
LockOut will become famous soon enough

Figured i should post some of my baby. 08 1000rr with a fair bit of go fast mods. However the best mod i can say for sure has been seat time at the track.

PS yes i know it has bad chicken strips on it, the tires had 30 miles on it when i took the photos. I had just put it together this spring.

IAFF Local #4907
LockOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:32 AM   #19
iRiSh
In the Belly Of the Beast

Trading: (0)
iRiSh is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockOut View Post
Figured i should post some of my baby. 08 1000rr with a fair bit of go fast mods. However the best mod i can say for sure has been seat time at the track.

PS yes i know it has bad chicken strips on it, the tires had 30 miles on it when i took the photos. I had just put it together this spring.

Thats a nice ride brother!
Old 08-03-2010, 01:19 PM   #20
jmsremax
Yet another Masshole

First Name: Jon
jmsremax will become famous soon enough

Those chicken strips aren't that bad. Nice bike too boot.