Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Health and Fitness

Old 03-25-2010, 09:17 AM   #961
Scottw
Going Commando

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Losing Weight with Andysutherland

199 this morning. Goal reached, 41 pounds lost since January 12th. I feel great and went shopping the other day and purchased 34 waist pants. I was up to a 40" so this was a great feeling. Last time I was in 34's, I was 25 years old (nearly 9 years ago). I'll go to 190 and then I'll be great! This thread has been a great motivator, thank you Andy for starting it. I found myself wanting to hold myself accountable not only to myself but to you guys here that are doing great with your weight loss goals.
Scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 09:39 AM   #962
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottw View Post
199 this morning. Goal reached, 41 pounds lost since January 12th. I feel great and went shopping the other day and purchased 34 waist pants. I was up to a 40" so this was a great feeling. Last time I was in 34's, I was 25 years old (nearly 9 years ago). I'll go to 190 and then I'll be great! This thread has been a great motivator, thank you Andy for starting it. I found myself wanting to hold myself accountable not only to myself but to you guys here that are doing great with your weight loss goals.
Incredible work, Scott. Congratulations!!!
I was totally stoked when I bought 36's. I was squeezing into 38's before I lost all the weight. Never went up to 40's, although I should have.
I'm sure I could get into 34's at this point, but I'm not buying pants again till I get to 32's.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:50 AM   #963
MortonMilo
Blowing smoke

First Name: R
Trading: (10)
MortonMilo has disabled reputation

My 34's were getting a bit tight on me, and reading this thread helped me realize I needed action! I typically work out 3-4 days a week, but it was my diet that was killing me. Simple substitution of healthier foods for the crap I was eating has helped me to shed nearly 10 lbs in a little under a month.
MortonMilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 07:50 PM   #964
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Shawn, great job in going back and finding where you went wrong. That's why journals are a useful tool.

Scott, congrats on hitting your goal! Now to mainain it.

Scott (Shilala), I've been eating nothing but carbs on this road trip which sucks. It's hard to eat healthy when the family wants to stop at BK, White Castle, and Taco Bell and all I can't eat meat right now. That means pretty much french fries.

JR, Good luck to you!

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 11:42 AM   #965
SilverFox

Well three days back on appropriate dietary intake (both caloric and nutrition balance) and I feel better and I am back on pace.

Unbelievable really but I guess there is more to the power of the subconscious than I am willing to admit.
Old 03-27-2010, 12:43 PM   #966
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysutherland View Post
Scott (Shilala), I've been eating nothing but carbs on this road trip which sucks. It's hard to eat healthy when the family wants to stop at BK, White Castle, and Taco Bell and all I can't eat meat right now. That means pretty much french fries.

JR, Good luck to you!
Don't sweat it, Andy. Shawn's recent discovery is a lot of what I use to manage. I just listen to my body.
Problem with that is that the meds I take screw that all up. One of them has a common side effect that it makes a person crave sweets, especially candy.
Until I get smoothed out, I just try to eat what's good for me. Lots of good cereal and wheatgrass juice (that I grow and juice myself).
Aside from that, I just try to avoid crap. But I do have a whopper now and again cause I love them.
If anyone saw what I eat, they'd probably never believe I'm not 500 pounds, but I'm careful and conscious. The whole thing even confuses me, so I'll shut up there.
I guess what I was trying to say is that what I eat doesn't appear to be nearly as important as how much I eat. My stomach has shrunk and I can't eat nearly as much at a sitting, and I stop eating when I'm full. That's very important stuff. I even throw food away instead of eating the last five spoonfuls. Honest. Even if it's macaroni and cheese.
Oh yeah, got two hot dogs with nacho cheese and onions and sauce at Sheetz the other day. Ate one, put the other one in the fridge. Then I threw it out.
I just can't eat like I used to.
Old 03-28-2010, 04:54 AM   #967
pmwz
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (0)
pmwz is on a distinguished road

243 lbs this morning. not too happy but better than nothing. i have two weeks easter holidays and plan on working out a lot. goal is to dropp 10 pounds
pmwz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 08:38 PM   #968
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

I need to refocus on physical activity. I'm gonna start running/walking again tomorrow. Maybe get back in the gym too.

Insert quote here.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:28 AM   #969
goalie204
Have My Own Room

First Name: Myles
Trading: (12)
Bolivar
goalie204 will become famous soon enoughgoalie204 will become famous soon enough

passover = forget it
goalie204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:51 AM   #970
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalie204 View Post
passover = forget it
I know the feeling.

Insert quote here.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:12 AM   #971
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Raining hard today. Maybe it'll clear this afternoon so I can run before baseball practice. If not I'll hit the gym.

Insert quote here.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:53 AM   #972
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

I'm really struggling at this for some time as I have major motivation issues. After a couple of weeks, I virtually give up. Depression really sucks and I don't know if medication is a good way to go as I think the side effects of a few of them
are weight gain.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 12:21 PM   #973
Cyclone

Hey Shawn,

TC came over for dinner last Wednesday for dinner and cigars...

I almost didn't recognize him at 1st ( down 54 lbs ! )... He is ecstatic about how he looks.

He told me how you and him are motivating each other...

I can't wait to see you in May, Bro'... Keep up the great work!!
Old 03-30-2010, 11:04 AM   #974
SilverFox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
Hey Shawn,

TC came over for dinner last Wednesday for dinner and cigars...

I almost didn't recognize him at 1st ( down 54 lbs ! )... He is ecstatic about how he looks.

He told me how you and him are motivating each other...

I can't wait to see you in May, Bro'... Keep up the great work!!
Thanks Amigo...........yup he is in awesome shape. He is now seeing the same guy I am using.

Gets tougher as you get close to your goal but worth every pain and drop of sweat.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:26 AM   #975
Scottw
Going Commando

Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgop View Post
I'm really struggling at this for some time as I have major motivation issues. After a couple of weeks, I virtually give up. Depression really sucks and I don't know if medication is a good way to go as I think the side effects of a few of them
are weight gain.
I think battling your depression through the physical challenge of getting in shape and attaining weight loss goals might be up your alley. I was struggling with a touch of depression as I work all the time, don't see my family enough and on top of it I was getting so out of shape that I wouldn't take my shirt off in front of myself. Tell you what, getting in shape helps me sleep better at night, wake up with no issues in the morning. The wife comments on how much she enjoys looking at me now and I have more energy to truly enjoy those limited times with the kids.

People do not change when we tell them they should; they change when their context tells them they must.

I think you need a change.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:18 PM   #976
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

I'm up around 205 now. I'm gonna go look for the "Gaining weight with Andysutherland" thread.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:39 PM   #977
SilverFox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottw View Post
I think battling your depression through the physical challenge of getting in shape and attaining weight loss goals might be up your alley. I was struggling with a touch of depression as I work all the time, don't see my family enough and on top of it I was getting so out of shape that I wouldn't take my shirt off in front of myself. Tell you what, getting in shape helps me sleep better at night, wake up with no issues in the morning. The wife comments on how much she enjoys looking at me now and I have more energy to truly enjoy those limited times with the kids.

People do not change when we tell them they should; they change when their context tells them they must.

I think you need a change.
I agree 100% with the above. I wasn't initially going to respond as each persons issues are there own and to assume what works for some will work for others is something I try not to do.

However, I have been medication free for over 6 months, and over the last 4 have felt even better than when on meds due to exercise. I like being in control of my own well being rather than relying on meds. Don't get me wrong I do not recommend doing anything without discussion with your doc but my personal experience is that changing my physical health and well being has had a direct correlation to my mental health and well being.

There are also some very good physiological reasons to lose weight and exercise.

Researchers have found that although antidepressants facilitate a more rabid therapeutic response than exercise; exercise was equally effective in reducing depression over periods of 16 weeks or more. Exercise helps the brain to build up a resistance to serotonin so the that the body doesn't tire as easily.

Some of the major benefits are

• People have reported that, when they exercise, can think more clearly, feel happy, feel better about themselves, lose weight, develop strength, and enjoy a sense of well-being.
  • Exercise increased positive mood
  • they sleep better
  • have less nervousness and anxiety,
  • Exercise decreased negative mood
  • Exercise improved vigour
  • Exercise is effective in reducing stress, anger, fatigue
  • Many evidence proved that exercise plays a vital role in uplifting depression
  • Exercise improved the motivation and self-esteem in the person
  • Many people even report that they look and feel younger when they exercise regularly.
  • Exercise may help in increasing the feelings of coherence
  • Exercise increased the feelings of social integration
  • An exercise and depression study in which participants walked daily for even weeks found that the decrease in depressive mood and the improvement in vigour continued after five months.
  • Another exercise and depression study which compared exercise alone, medication alone, and exercise plus medication found lasting improvements after six months in participants who had exercised without medication.
  • When the participants continued to exercise the on going improvement was even greater. This study concluded that medication may produce quicker relief but exercise yields more long term benefit.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:47 PM   #978
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

If I was depressed over nothing more than my physical appearance, this is obviously a great thing for me. In my situation, I still haven't really moved on from the loss of both parents, 2 grandmothers, and my job in the span of January 2008 and August 2009. My problem lies in very low motivation to stick with it after more than 7-10 days at a time. I feel like Peter from Office Space at times after being on the plan. I'm just hoping there's something that can light a fire under my ass once again.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 04:55 PM   #979
Scottw
Going Commando

Bolivar

PM sent Duane.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:59 PM   #980
SilverFox

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgop View Post
If I was depressed over nothing more than my physical appearance, this is obviously a great thing for me. In my situation, I still haven't really moved on from the loss of both parents, 2 grandmothers, and my job in the span of January 2008 and August 2009. My problem lies in very low motivation to stick with it after more than 7-10 days at a time. I feel like Peter from Office Space at times after being on the plan. I'm just hoping there's something that can light a fire under my ass once again.
I wasn't implying that you were depressed over your physical appearance and I apologize if that is what you thought. I am talking about suffering from clinical depression. This is a serious mental issue.