Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 06:49 PM   #901
Mark C
Feeling at Home

Trading: (4)
Mark C is on a distinguished road
Default Re: First Firearm Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumpet View Post
If you're looking for a "target" gun, a lever action ain't it. Sure they're fun, but they're not known for being tack-drivers, and while the ammo isn't hard to find, it's not generally inexpensive (then again, no ammo is inexpensive right now) to shoot. However, leveractions are really cool.

If you're looking for something for longer range casual target shooting, consider looking at a scoped bolt gun in .223 or .308. Better yet, buy a Garand from the CMP and a bunch of ammo. That would satisfy the longer range target shooting and the shorter range plinking needs quite nicely. There's just something about a Garand

Where in MD are you?
I realize bolt guns are more accurate than lever, that's fine with me. I've got a benchrest 10/22 to scratch the 'tack driver' itch, there's just something about the old school lever action that's calling to me. What I meant by 'target' is that I'll be shooting at paper only, 'minute of paper plate' is good enough for me right now. I was reading up on the Marlin 45-70 lever gun earlier today, now I'm thinking big bore lever would be even more fun

Garand would be great, but out of my price range. I do have a milsurp itch also, I've got a C&R app waiting to be mailed and plans for a Mosin as soon as the paperwork comes back.

I'm in Harford county, little ways outside of Aberdeen. Where're you? I'm using the same name at www.mdshooters.com, great forum for all things firearms in MD. Check it out if you haven't already.
Old 06-28-2009, 06:56 PM   #902
Trumpet
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Rich
Trading: (2)
RA Army (Served With Honor)
Trumpet is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark C View Post
I realize bolt guns are more accurate than lever, that's fine with me. I've got a benchrest 10/22 to scratch the 'tack driver' itch, there's just something about the old school lever action that's calling to me. What I meant by 'target' is that I'll be shooting at paper only, 'minute of paper plate' is good enough for me right now. I was reading up on the Marlin 45-70 lever gun earlier today, now I'm thinking big bore lever would be even more fun

Garand would be great, but out of my price range. I do have a milsurp itch also, I've got a C&R app waiting to be mailed and plans for a Mosin as soon as the paperwork comes back.

I'm in Harford county, little ways outside of Aberdeen. Where're you? I'm using the same name at www.mdshooters.com, great forum for all things firearms in MD. Check it out if you haven't already.
CMP prices should put a Garand within reach...less than a Marlin 45-70. I'm down here in Brandywine. I'm also "Trumpet" on MDshooters although I spend more time at ARFCOM

Last edited by Trumpet; 06-28-2009 at 07:03 PM.
Old 06-28-2009, 09:19 PM   #903
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

Trading: (14)
HdM
Wolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the rough

Monte 2 and Springfield XDM Makes Wolfie a happy boy.

Old 06-29-2009, 06:42 AM   #904
Trumpet
Still Watching My Back

Quote:

This is more than you were looking to spend, but for a complete package (rifle/scope/harris bipod/stock pack) it's a pretty good deal...

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=93&t=696489
Old 06-29-2009, 08:59 PM   #905
giono2
Fresh Meat

First Name: Matt
Trading: (0)
giono2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
Monte 2 and Springfield XDM Makes Wolfie a happy boy.
How do you like the XDM, and what caliber did you get? I'm currently looking at it in 9mm.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:36 PM   #906
Mark C
Feeling at Home

Trading: (4)
Mark C is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumpet View Post
CMP prices should put a Garand within reach...less than a Marlin 45-70. I'm down here in Brandywine. I'm also "Trumpet" on MDshooters although I spend more time at ARFCOM
I took a look and some of the lower grades are pretty affordable, but the descriptions don't sound all that great. Are they really as bad as CMP makes 'em sound? I'm talking about the rack/field/service grade stock.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:44 PM   #907
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

Trading: (14)
HdM
Wolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by giono2 View Post
How do you like the XDM, and what caliber did you get? I'm currently looking at it in 9mm.
It wasnt mine. Bt it was chambered in .45 I believe. The grip was too long to be a comfortable CCW.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:53 PM   #908
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

I want to get a Remington 700 in a .308 chambering. The only thing keeping me from getting one is a lack of good ranges around by me. The place I shoot at is only 25 yards
Old 06-30-2009, 09:59 PM   #909
TanithT
Herfer Grrrrl

First Name: Tanith
Trading: (26)
HdM
TanithT will become famous soon enoughTanithT will become famous soon enough

What's the legality of putting guns in the WTS/T area here? I have an annoying number of collector's rifles that I really don't need.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:01 PM   #910
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanithT View Post
What's the legality of putting guns in the WTS/T area here? I have an annoying number of collector's rifles that I really don't need.
The mods won't allow it.

See rule 8: http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=65
Old 06-30-2009, 10:02 PM   #911
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Quote:
Not horribly kosher, I would guess, the ToE would probably not like to incur any kind of legal liablility.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:02 PM   #912
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
No go. From the sticky aptly named "Rules for wts/wtb/wtt threads"

Quote:
Originally Posted by poker View Post

We have also had to restrict any trading or selling of firearms or firearm accessories and alcohol items.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:03 PM   #913
TanithT
Herfer Grrrrl

First Name: Tanith
Trading: (26)
HdM
TanithT will become famous soon enoughTanithT will become famous soon enough

Understood and respected.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:03 PM   #914
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Understood and respected.
Much appreciated.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:04 PM   #915
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

Bolivar

Anyone know of a site that has Speer Gold Dots in stock? I am running low on .38spl +p Gold Dots and the only site I can find that has them in stock is AmmunitionToGo and they are a bit overpriced.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:08 PM   #916
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by elderboy02 View Post
Anyone know of a site that has Speer Gold Dots in stock? I am running low on .38spl +p Gold Dots and the only site I can find that has them in stock is AmmunitionToGo and they are a bit overpriced.
This might help you out, brother.
http://www.ammoengine.com/find/ammo/.38_Special
Old 06-30-2009, 10:10 PM   #917
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant_argent View Post
This might help you out, brother.
http://www.ammoengine.com/find/ammo/.38_Special
Thanks for the website. Surprisingly, I have not seen that site before.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:42 AM   #918
Trumpet
Still Watching My Back

Quote:
I took a look and some of the lower grades are pretty affordable, but the descriptions don't sound all that great. Are they really as bad as CMP makes 'em sound? I'm talking about the rack/field/service grade stock.
As a CMP customer, it's pretty safe to say the undergrade their rifles. Yes the stocks can be a little dinged, but in 90+% of the cases it's from storage. BUT when you consider what you see at gunshows ad gunshops (which are usually CMP rifles being marked up a lot) they are a steal. They are a wonderful piece American history, will appreciate in value (Stay AWAY from the new SA INC Garands. SA INC has NOTHING to do with the old Springfield Armory), and are a blast to shoot. They always get attention at the range. FWIW, I believe the CMP also still has M1 carbines and Mossberg M44 .22 Trainers in stock. I am a loyal CMP customer. I just need to get some Garand pics.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:22 AM   #919
floydpink
crazy diamond

Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by elderboy02 View Post
Ammo to go is the only place I have been able to find the Short Barrel Gold dots as well and unless I am reading it wrong, Replicant's link directs you to them....
Old 07-01-2009, 08:11 AM   #920
Trumpet
Still Watching My Back

another good source for ammo prices etc.

http://www.gun-deals.com/ammo.php