Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 05-19-2012, 04:49 PM   #1
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Being a Hockey Parent

Just dropped the LM off at Regulators tryouts.... Not sure if I made a mistake letting him skate with the U18's before the U16 tryouts. The U18 coach told him to come to both, my assumption is that he is worried about his U18 numbers and sees my son as a body. Would hate for him to get worked for the first session and then go into his session gassed.....

Well, it's done now and tomorrow the sessions are split by 4-6 hours or something like that.... Think I'll go back and watch the last half of the U16 session and see what I think.
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:29 PM   #2
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

Well that went even better than expected.... Assume he's a Regulator if we want....
Old 05-20-2012, 01:09 AM   #3
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

First Name: Mike
Trading: (53)
HUpmann
Ahbroody has disabled reputation

Nice.
What level AA or AAA
Ahbroody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:51 AM   #4
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahbroody View Post
Nice.
What level AA or AAA
AA
Old 05-20-2012, 09:22 AM   #5
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

He's back up there now and then again at 1:00....then done. Will be interested to hear what they say, but will wait until Jr. Grizzlies tryouts next month to make a decision. Wish the tryouts were not 3 weeks apart...
Old 05-21-2012, 08:44 PM   #6
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Celebrated his invite to be on the U16 AA Regulators with a 3 point(1 goal, 2 assists) night on the ice with the HS team in the Summer League.

Added bonus, not one trip to the box....
Old 05-23-2012, 04:41 PM   #7
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Little back yard play.... Listen to his sister chuckling in the back....

http://youtu.be/QtfPHSlU27Q
Old 05-23-2012, 07:53 PM   #8
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

KILLING ME!!!! Note, this is day 30 on the nose from purchase and 28 from when I received it.... email just went off to Sher-Wood....I'm praying that they take care of me. I don't have the reciept, but assume if they want to push it, I can get one from the vendor. Sent the email, so they have it date stamped as broken within 30 days....

Old 05-24-2012, 12:48 PM   #9
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

That's piss.
Easton ST time I think or having him stop digging a hole to China.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:38 PM   #10
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahbroody View Post
That's piss.
Easton ST time I think or having him stop digging a hole to China.
Is the Mako = to the ST? It is that stinking slapshot... He kills it, but because he isn't buying sticks, he doesn't worry about firing 50 a practice... I fear that we'll be doing this again and again and again....

Sher-Wood is sending me a new one, they sure have that end of things dialed in. I was surprised at how easy and painless the warranty process was. Kudos to Sher-Wood....
Old 05-24-2012, 05:25 PM   #11
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

http://www.hockeygiant.com/easm5stksr.html
Mako M5 is the ST replacement.
Old 05-26-2012, 04:18 PM   #12
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

At the rink 2x today.

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Old 05-26-2012, 08:04 PM   #13
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

The boys first same age hockey friend. Good kid great shot.
Funny how even at this age you can see where kids strengths will be. Theyre only a few weeks apart.

We actually signed him up for summer league inhouse just so he could play with this kid. The two of them terrorized mite inhouse summer game today. He's always played with older kids and it has created weird issues at times. Recently he was invited to a kid turning nine birthday who he played inhouse with this year. We ended up not taking him which created a little riff which I was suprised by.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:14 PM   #14
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

^^^Nice, Mike... Just seeing this. The Dynamic Duo, soon to be popping nets in an arena near you!

Little One is on the ice for the first time in 2 weeks.

The Big One's team takes on the defending State Champs tonight. Should give a good idea of where they are at....
Old 05-30-2012, 09:12 PM   #15
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Ohhhhh that was a SWEET win!!! LM was a plus 2 & didn't allow a goal. Just a solid game at the blue line, against a very good team. Wins like this are soooo fun!
Old 06-06-2012, 09:17 PM   #16
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Bad news, HS team lost on Monday. Looked slow and the goalie the faced(brought in, not on the team) was a MONSTER, kid will be playing out of State come Fall.

Good news, the Little One hits the ice for Summer League tomorrow!

New replacement(warranty & purchase) N12's in the bag for the LM....
Old 06-07-2012, 12:03 PM   #17
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

Sorry about the loss, nice on the new twig. Good to see them step up.

That's crazy summer hockey starts so late there. Our tinker here are all about profit so hockey never stops.
Current Schedule which started last week:
Monday Hawks Skills Skate, Tuesday Cougars summer team skate, Thursday HawksSS, Friday Soccer, Saturday (all three things with new best friend) 9am roller, 11am Sharks Skills Skate, 2pm inhouse games, Sunday soccer or ice or nothing what ever he picks. Crazy thing is he wants to always do something. Thus schedule will hold till end of July when tryouts happen. I can't wait for tryouts. I am getting burnt

Got new jets lastnight. Kid on his summer team came back from anahiem with a pair. Ordered from anahiem ice rink with sharpening and heel lifts installed.

No custom holders for now. Going to see how these work out. Customs were 191 runners on his size 11, these are a size 12 and 193 runners.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:39 PM   #18
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

Side note Al, Scott, EJ need some feedback.
Last Sunday his summer team played another team that was good.
Micah scored a goal on a nice wrap around move.

My issue came when prior to that he went offsides bad on a breakaway and got basically yelled at by the coach loudly. He calls him out and then starts yelling asking if he knows what offsides is. Then right before the faceoff he yanks him off the ice and sits him for two shifts. He did sit down with him and talk with him, but I was a little suprised. I know its a team of mostly 8 year olds, but he's the one who wanted him on the team. We wanted just practices. He wanted him to play.

Did he not expect a kid who is literally 6.5 this month to brain fart occasionally?
I'm not sure about next year now. I had considered his team an option. I am not sure now. In practice often goes out of his way to help Micah understand drills. If he does yell at him he will generally go over and explain things. I just don't know. Micah is an emotional kid. While physically tough he gets worked up when adults reprimand him.

Any of you guys dealt with a coach who yells at the kids and how did it effect your kid.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:45 PM   #19
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Tough call. I have not personally had to deal with it and even at 15, I know my son does not respond well to yelling... Not in sports or at home.

I think you discuss it with Micah and see how he feels about it. You could discuss it with the coach as well, explaining what you just said here, how he may not be at an age that he can process that type of direction and see if the coach has the ability to work around it, which is 50/50 at best IMO.

Usually coaches are pretty locked in to how they do stuff, not intentionally, it is just their make up. I think it is few and far between those that recognize who responds to what and play both sides of the fence.

Have to get back into court.... That is the quick, condensed....
Old 06-07-2012, 03:38 PM   #20
Eleven
Solid As The Sun

First Name: Scott
Trading: (23)
Eleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura about

I don't think any of Cam's coaches yelled more than you'd expect them to when he was younger, but he didn't play high level hockey until his Peewee years (10 years old I think?)

Since then, what I've heard hasn't been over the top except one time in particular, and I addressed that with the coach immediately after the game. For the last 2 years I've worked the game clock and music for our home games, so I was right there, next to the boys.

When I say over the top, I mean yelling in a personal manner, degrading the kid. Not necessarily just yelling. Our coaches yell a lot, but it's mainly on the fly line and strategy stuff. Last year my kid got hurt on a shift and when he came back he asked the coach to sit one shift and the coach kind of went nuts with "Are you kidding me?" type of comments.

After that game I let the coach have it, and made sure we were on the same page when it came to something like that happening again. My kid doesn't cry wolf, if he gets hurt and has to mention it during the game, then he is really hurt.

I'm not the greatest when it comes to dealing with confrontation with the coaches, I'm usually more passionate about the situations than my kid would be. I think maybe at your kids age, it certainly isn't out of bounds for you to talk to the coach, at least to make sure you are both on the same page when it comes to how your kid reacts and responds to his coaching style.

CA: putting the 'man' in bromance since 2008! --markem.
Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote