Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 05-02-2010, 02:05 PM   #61
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (19)
ERdM Navy (Retired)
Volt has disabled reputation
Default Re: Motorcycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydpink View Post
I'm in that club.

Been a week since I've ridden my Harley as it's in for one of those $500 services they recommend every 10k miles.

Also getting all 3 fluids changed that they need opposed to the 1 a metric needs.

Gotten tighten a bunch of stuff as well that rattles loose on those damn hogs.

What was it called agin? A Valk?

A Valkyrie - Cruiser look with the older 1400 cc Goldwing engine. Verra fast.

No need to pay to change oils, stupid simple even for a nerd like me. I run synth Amsoil - $$ but good stuff.
Old 05-02-2010, 02:53 PM   #62
floydpink
crazy diamond

First Name: Pete
Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt View Post
A Valkyrie - Cruiser look with the older 1400 cc Goldwing engine. Verra fast.

No need to pay to change oils, stupid simple even for a nerd like me. I run synth Amsoil - $$ but good stuff.
I also swear by Amsoil 20/50 in the engine and primary and Redline Heavy shockproof in the tranny. Harleys are famous from rough shifting and being a little tricky to find neutral sometimes and the Redline solved both of those problems.

It probably could go longer, but mine gets drained every 5,000 miles. I consider it cheap insurance.

I take it in because I obsess over stuff that I could probably do myself but like them to do.

Also, I have a HD credit card and get HD dollars back for purchases so don't actually pay, I suppose.
Old 05-02-2010, 03:27 PM   #63
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

ERdM Navy (Retired)

I run the 20/50 in all 3 fluids. No issues. I am on my last oil change for the winter. The book allows for 50 for the summer higher temps. Last year the oil pressure was dropping too much for my liking as it thinned out in the 90/100 degree heat. Low oil = many expensive problems.

Last edited by Volt; 05-02-2010 at 03:42 PM.
Volt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 03:52 PM   #64
floydpink
crazy diamond

Cohiba

Yeah, a lot of people use 20/50 in all 3 holes, but in Central Florida's heat, I feel better with the heavy stuff in the tranny.

Then again, you won't find may dead motorcycles that died from the oil their owner used. Just ones that the owner didn't change the oil.

I will say that since switching to Amsoil, my bike runs about 30 degrees cooler.

I love the oil, just not many of the independent dealers who sell it like it's holy water.
Old 05-02-2010, 04:35 PM   #65
BroncoHorvath
Life is Great !

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
Punch
BroncoHorvath is on a distinguished road

For all you riders, be safe. I used to owned a 1996 HD. I bought it because most of my friends had bikes an used to go for Sunday rides.
One of my buddies (Mike) bugged his wife and she finally gave in and bought one. Then one Sunday afternoon on the way up to Mont-Tremblant(North on Montreal), we were 7 couples riding, and I was the third bike and Mike was riding 7th, and a drunk driver came from behind with his pickup truck and ran right into them killing his wife instantly and almost taking another bike out also. After that dark Sunday, I parked my bike and eventually sold it in 1998 with only 346 KMS on it. I would love to get another one, but I seen a bad accident last summer and that reminded me of that dark Sunday in 1996 and decided not get another one.
Old 05-02-2010, 04:38 PM   #66
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

ERdM Navy (Retired)

Quote:
Yeah, a lot of people use 20/50 in all 3 holes, but in Central Florida's heat, I feel better with the heavy stuff in the tranny.

Then again, you won't find may dead motorcycles that died from the oil their owner used. Just ones that the owner didn't change the oil.

I will say that since switching to Amsoil, my bike runs about 30 degrees cooler.

I love the oil, just not many of the independent dealers who sell it like it's holy water.

Pay your dealer teh $20 for the Amsoil dealer card. Between what I use and the oil I buy for my friends I easily make that money back in 6 months. Last case I bought was $30 off with my card.
Old 05-02-2010, 04:44 PM   #67
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

ERdM Navy (Retired)

If your not comfortable on one, then you have made the correct choice. On 2 whheels is not the time to be second guessing. I'm one of the types that thinks when the lord calls me, what I am doing will not matter. Besides, going out on my scoot beats being 80, spit dribbling down my chin, and not knowing my name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHorvath View Post
For all you riders, be safe. I used to owned a 1996 HD. I bought it because most of my friends had bikes an used to go for Sunday rides.
One of my buddies (Mike) bugged his wife and she finally gave in and bought one. Then one Sunday afternoon on the way up to Mont-Tremblant(North on Montreal), we were 7 couples riding, and I was the third bike and Mike was riding 7th, and a drunk driver came from behind with his pickup truck and ran right into them killing his wife instantly and almost taking another bike out also. After that dark Sunday, I parked my bike and eventually sold it in 1998 with only 346 KMS on it. I would love to get another one, but I seen a bad accident last summer and that reminded me of that dark Sunday in 1996 and decided not get another one.
Old 05-02-2010, 05:25 PM   #68
Cigary

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHorvath View Post
Have heard similar stories and know friends who have been killed on motorcycles and it's always a sad thing. I refuse to live in fear of things that can happen in life. I also know people who were killed in automobiles...killed riding their bicycles...walking down the road and hit by another car. I also know people who died when they drank too much and then choked on their own vomit. There are no guarantees in life whatsoever and living in fear as I said has got to be the most paralyzing feeling I've ever experienced. I am as careful as I can be and use common sense when I ride...I can't imagine being a slave to your fears and feeling that is some kind of life. Been there done that before. Life is for the living.
Old 05-02-2010, 07:07 PM   #69
floydpink
crazy diamond

Cohiba

Amen Gary.

Not the length of one's life, it's the experiences.

Probably a few here would agree.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:08 PM   #70
SeanGAR
Crotchety Geezer

Trading: (3)
SeanGAR has disabled reputation

Drive like you're invisible, be ever vigilant, and get the heck out of potential danger proactively.

It also helps to have one of these visible and easy to grab if needed.

Painting the ball red & green would provide a festive appearance.

An upgraded horn makes a lot of sense too .. a friend of mine put something on his Yamaha that sounded like an 18 wheeler. Sure as heck got people's attention fast.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:45 PM   #71
Tripp
Pepin Ho of the NorthWest

First Name: Tripp
Trading: (5)
Partagas
Tripp is on a distinguished road

Though we can't really afford it, we're planning on buying 2 (probably sport) bikes in the summer after we get married. Any tips on what the timeline should look like for getting permits/licenses/training? We're a little lost on where to start, and don't actually know much about motorcycles other than we want to ride them.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:56 PM   #72
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

ERdM Navy (Retired)

My .02 and all that it might be worth:

1. If you have never ridden before the MSF is a decent place to learn. But understand that when done your qualified to ride a 250 cc motorcycle on a closed course with instructors. Yes it may go towards teh state license, but it does not make you experienced.

2. Sport bikes "can" be very difficult as a first bike. Basically they are de-tuned race bikes. 300 lbs nothing and a huge power plant, ride them with respect, if not, well parts are easily replaced but body parts not so much.

3. I normally do not buy used vechicles but motorcycles are my exception. Short of being in a wreck, most people baby them so much. you can find good deals.

4. Protective gear, the more you wear, the less it hurts when you put it done. Not an isse with most sport bike types. They tend to like matching bike, jackets, helmets, etc.

5. It's not if you will put it down, but when. Just a fact of life. I have dropped 2 of mine and dumped a trird when I grabbed too much front brake in a turn. Dumb **** mistakes can make you a better rider even if they are a bit embarissing.

As to you time line question, all depends on how backed up the class sched is. Good luck, it can be a great hobby/life style if done right.
Old 05-02-2010, 11:05 PM   #73
weak_link
The Stranger

First Name: Eric
Trading: (1)
Montecristo
weak_link has a spectacular aura aboutweak_link has a spectacular aura aboutweak_link has a spectacular aura about

Quote:

1. If you have never ridden before the MSF is a decent place to learn. But understand that when done your qualified to ride a 250 cc motorcycle on a closed course with instructors. Yes it may go towards teh state license, but it does not make you experienced.

2. Sport bikes "can" be very difficult as a first bike. Basically they are de-tuned race bikes. 300 lbs nothing and a huge power plant, ride them with respect, if not, well parts are easily replaced but body parts not so much.

3. I normally do not buy used vechicles but motorcycles are my exception. Short of being in a wreck, most people baby them so much. you can find good deals.

4. Protective gear, the more you wear, the less it hurts when you put it done. Not an isse with most sport bike types. They tend to like matching bike, jackets, helmets, etc.

5. It's not if you will put it down, but when. Just a fact of life. I have dropped 2 of mine and dumped a trird when I grabbed too much front brake in a turn. Dumb **** mistakes can make you a better rider even if they are a bit embarissing.

As to you time line question, all depends on how backed up the class sched is. Good luck, it can be a great hobby/life style if done right.
Great post and I'm glad you brought up gear. I'm an all gear all the time kinda guy and have been saved the trouble of skin grafts on more than one occasion.
weak_link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 06:59 AM   #74
jmsremax
Yet another Masshole

First Name: Jon
jmsremax will become famous soon enough

Quote:

2. The scary thing about the 600cc bikes is they only put on race tires and exhaust. They are not detuned....from factory they are meant to be on the track.

3. I have to disagree....I would never buy a used motorcycle. You never know if it's been dumped and someone simply changed fairings or if the tool was a wheelie junkie (my view is based on street bikes).

4. I couldn't agree with you more.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:18 AM   #75
floydpink
crazy diamond

Cohiba

Quote:

Don't agree with 5, and hope I don't jinx myself.

I've had motorcycles since 1981 and never dropped one. Came close, but never dropped one.

I've read this statement on a few motorcycle forums and think it's BS, but also read that once you say never, a spill is around the corner.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:11 AM   #76
Resipsa

There's no problem with buying a used bike, particularly if you're buying a cruiser/tourer. Pretty easy to be able to tell if the bike has been taken care of or not.

I would, however, never buy a used sport bike. I've got eyes, I'm on the road all the time and I see the way people ride and abuse them. No thanks.

And I completely disagree with the notion that crashes are a "not if, when" scenario. I've been riding a long time and have never been down.

Ride with awareness, within your skill set, not like an asshat, expect the unexpected and you should be fine.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:37 AM   #77
weak_link
The Stranger

Montecristo
weak_link has a spectacular aura aboutweak_link has a spectacular aura aboutweak_link has a spectacular aura about

I've only bought one new bike and I thought it was a big waste of money. Much better values buying used if you are careful.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:12 AM   #78
floydpink
crazy diamond

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resipsa View Post
There's no problem with buying a used bike, particularly if you're buying a cruiser/tourer. Pretty easy to be able to tell if the bike has been taken care of or not.

I would, however, never buy a used sport bike. I've got eyes, I'm on the road all the time and I see the way people ride and abuse them. No thanks.

And I completely disagree with the notion that crashes are a "not if, when" scenario. I've been riding a long time and have never been down.

Ride with awareness, within your skill set, not like an asshat, expect the unexpected and you should be fine.
I wouldn't buy a new one either. Looks like you're humping a dog bent over taking a dump.

The "not if, when" statement sorta makes me think that if you smoke cigars, it's not a question of "if" but "when" you'll develop mouth cancer, or "if you fly in an airplane".... (you get the idea)

Just a very general statement with absolutely nothing to back it up with as far as facts or statistics. Also puts unnecessary fear into cautious but superstitious bikers.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:16 AM   #79
weak_link
The Stranger

Montecristo

Quote:
I wouldn't buy a new one either. Looks like you're humping a dog bent over taking a dump.

)
Meh- they are just tools and you gotta have the right tool for the task at hand. I wouldn't want to do a bunch of trackdays on a Fatboy, would you?

Old 05-03-2010, 01:38 PM   #80
floydpink
crazy diamond

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by weak_link View Post
Meh- they are just tools and you gotta have the right tool for the task at hand. I wouldn't want to do a bunch of trackdays on a Fatboy, would you?

Yikes!! trackdays on a Fatboy?? I scrape floorboards on a u-turn.

Just the thought of it makes me cringe; almost as badly of the thought of arriving to bike night on rice wearing a matching helmet and padded pants.