Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 03-02-2009, 10:28 AM   #61
MithShrike

Default Re: Fuk....is anyone Anemic?

Glad to hear you're OK. Sounds like a lot of fun in the past few days for you. Yep, fiber and a better diet man, it's really important.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:43 AM   #62
68TriShield
Got Torque?

First Name: Dave
Trading: (40)
HUpmann
68TriShield has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahc4353 View Post
How the hell do you "lose" half your blood without knowing it?

Damn Dave take care!
Not recognizing blood in your stool.

I have Ulcerative Colitis... (been there)
68TriShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:02 AM   #63
mrreindeer

Thanks guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68TriShield View Post
Not recognizing blood in your stool.

I have Ulcerative Colitis... (been there)
And yep.

Dave, you ok?
Old 03-02-2009, 11:29 AM   #64
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

Good to see you still kicking it!
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:19 PM   #65
68TriShield
Got Torque?

First Name: Dave
HUpmann
68TriShield has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreindeer View Post
Thanks guys.

And yep.

Dave, you ok?
oh yea,I was diagnosed in 1991.Sulfur drugs and a bi-annual Colonoscopy keeps me kicking
68TriShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 05:44 PM   #66
CBI_2
Have My Own Room

First Name: Paul
Trading: (0)
CBI_2 is a jewel in the roughCBI_2 is a jewel in the roughCBI_2 is a jewel in the rough

Great news! Will keep you in my prayers.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:53 AM   #67
mrreindeer

Thank you guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68TriShield View Post
oh yea,I was diagnosed in 1991.Sulfur drugs and a bi-annual Colonoscopy keeps me kicking
Good to hear Dave!
Old 03-04-2009, 12:12 PM   #68
mrreindeer

So, I was thinking about this....want to know something....I just realized that now that I have the blood of 3 strangers coursing through my veins (and hopefully not trickling out of my body like my own blood was doing) and even though they do testing & screen the blood and it's so much better than in the '80's, it's not 100% safe.

Of course, that's why I was initially concerned about having to get the transfusions and why my mother was having a conniption fit demanding on the telephone while I was in the ER that I only accept 1 unit even though the Doc was recommending (read: telling me) that I take 3. Yes, I'm a 36 year old man.

So now I have to pretend like I'm in college again and whip out a damn rubber every time I want to have relations with my wife....in the short amount of time I have before our kid is born in September at which point I'll likely never have $ex again.

What's a feller to do!!!

(and yes, I know, I'll have to get a dang HIV test and then I'll be all good to go, I'm just being overly dramatic )

But it woulda been nice if the Doc had said, you know, with your pregnant wife, you should use protection until you know for sure...

Anybody else realize this predicament after gettin' somebody's else's blood in 'ya?

Last edited by mrreindeer; 03-04-2009 at 12:20 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:20 PM   #69
mrreindeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MithShrike View Post
Glad to hear you're OK. Sounds like a lot of fun in the past few days for you. Yep, fiber and a better diet man, it's really important.
Oh, hey Matt...what about spicy food? Is it that bad for you? I eat spicy all the freakin' time!
Old 03-04-2009, 12:24 PM   #70
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

Trading: (14)
HdM
Wolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Oh, hey Matt...what about spicy food? Is it that bad for you? I eat spicy all the freakin' time!
You should be ok as long as you arent eating spicy curry and beans followed by sunflower seeds shells and all........

Seriously I hope you are douing better. I was Anemic for a long time while i was on Dialysis waiting for my kidney. All the docs made me do was give myself a shot once a month to boost the RBC count. I believe it was called "aranesp" ask your doc about it.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:28 PM   #71
mrreindeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
You should be ok as long as you arent eating spicy curry and beans followed by sunflower seeds shells and all........
[puts down spoon (or whatever the hell utensil I'm using for this slop)] Uh....NOPE, not any more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
Seriously I hope you are douing better. I was Anemic for a long time while i was on Dialysis waiting for my kidney. All the docs made me do was give myself a shot once a month to boost the RBC count. I believe it was called "aranesp" ask your doc about it.
Thank you very much; I'm glad you're doing better too and I am doing better....I've kinda figured out a 'routine' that I hope will continue to work for me....pills, fiber, water, diet high in iron & fiber, bathroom and less hanging out with vampires, etc. I'll check out the aranesp; thanks!
Old 03-04-2009, 12:29 PM   #72
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

Trading: (14)
HdM
Wolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the rough

no prob :-D Glad I could help.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:34 PM   #73
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

Dang David. That’s quite an ordeal. Well, I’m glad to hear your on the mend.
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:43 PM   #74
Cyanide

Ah, where Wolfgang here would have been a good candidate for Aranesp or a similar blood-stimulating medication, Dave, you`ll probably want to avoid it.

It does come with some pretty hefty adverse reactions (if you are one of the unlucky ones to get them). The risk-to-benefit ration probably isn`t sufficient for you to take the chance. For wolfgang....with his issue he would probably benefit more from having the blood-building hormone than without it. Chances are he lacked what was required to rebuild his blood quickly at that time. You will probably have all the metabolic systems needed to do it on your own. Plus, it probably costs 1-10 thousand dollars a month.

Sorry for verbally stomping on your post like that, Wolfgang.

But ya, keep the fibre high and get lots of water with it. Keep the iron tabs away from the fibre if you can, as iron needs acidic environs (like orange juice in the stomach) to initiate absorption. Further, iron will slow down the gut and induce a constipating condition, not good when mixed with fibre. Appart they will get the job done. You might also want to consider lactulose if (gross alert) your stools aren`t slipping out of you like those yoghurt tubes. Any straining on the toilet could restart the bleeding for now.

But, my lunch break is over, so back to work for me....

Cheers

Cy
Old 03-04-2009, 12:51 PM   #75
mrreindeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanide View Post
Plus, it probably costs 1-10 thousand dollars a month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanide View Post
But ya, keep the fibre high and get lots of water with it. Keep the iron tabs away from the fibre if you can, as iron needs acidic environs (like orange juice in the stomach) to initiate absorption. Further, iron will slow down the gut and induce a constipating condition, not good when mixed with fibre. Appart they will get the job done. You might also want to consider lactulose if (gross alert) your stools aren`t slipping out of you like those yoghurt tubes. Any straining on the toilet could restart the bleeding for now.
Thank you John, again...
Old 03-04-2009, 01:27 PM   #76
kayaker

Glad to hear you are dong better.

Hope you are still allowed to enjoy cigars and scotch.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:41 PM   #77
mrreindeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Hope you are still allowed to enjoy cigars and scotch.
mrsreindeer wants to go for Mex tonight...uh oh....um, I think I might have to partake & why not start it off right with a cigar before she gets off work....if you don't hear from me tomorrow, then, well....
Old 03-04-2009, 10:38 PM   #78
Genetic Defect
difetosso

First Name: Perry
Trading: (5)
VR
Genetic Defect has disabled reputation

Quote:
So, I was thinking about this....want to know something....I just realized that now that I have the blood of 3 strangers coursing through my veins (and hopefully not trickling out of my body like my own blood was doing) and even though they do testing & screen the blood and it's so much better than in the '80's, it's not 100% safe.

Of course, that's why I was initially concerned about having to get the transfusions and why my mother was having a conniption fit demanding on the telephone while I was in the ER that I only accept 1 unit even though the Doc was recommending (read: telling me) that I take 3. Yes, I'm a 36 year old man.

So now I have to pretend like I'm in college again and whip out a damn rubber every time I want to have relations with my wife....in the short amount of time I have before our kid is born in September at which point I'll likely never have $ex again.

What's a feller to do!!!

(and yes, I know, I'll have to get a dang HIV test and then I'll be all good to go, I'm just being overly dramatic )

But it woulda been nice if the Doc had said, you know, with your pregnant wife, you should use protection until you know for sure...

Anybody else realize this predicament after gettin' somebody's else's blood in 'ya?
geezer
Old 03-11-2009, 09:33 AM   #79
mrreindeer

Shoot, does anyone know if you can fly with anemia or if I should be concerned at all? (and about going to Mexico next month....Cabo)

I haven't had a test since I left the hospital on the 28th and I've got a Doc's appt. next week but I have to book this bachelor party trip now. And I'm having a devil of a time finding info on flying with anemia online.

Appreciate any help; thanks!
Old 03-11-2009, 09:48 AM   #80
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

Just throw a few pints of blood in your carry-on. They usually don't mind.

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote