Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 08-21-2009, 02:09 PM   #61
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on iPhone versus Blackberry

I just cvhecked while I was out, and the Navigon gps doesn't speak the name of the street I'm supposed to turn on. It just tells me where and when.
The chick also told me "caution" when I was going over the speed limit, and the screen shows all the signs and where everything is.
It's so incredibly awesome it it made me cry.
Verizon sucks.
Just wanted to get that in there one more time before I pay my final bill with them.
Old 08-21-2009, 04:38 PM   #62
floydpink
crazy diamond

First Name: Pete
Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation

No changing my mind about who makes the best phone, but I have been really stuck on this gps app thing and found a cool article making the decision a little bit easier to steer right of Tomtom, approach Navigon with caution, and probably yield for a bit before buying.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...082100707.html
Old 08-21-2009, 04:56 PM   #63
Resipsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydpink View Post
No changing my mind about who makes the best phone, but I have been really stuck on this gps app thing and found a cool article making the decision a little bit easier to steer right of Tomtom, approach Navigon with caution, and probably yield for a bit before buying.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...082100707.html
Interesting article, but I'd read it with caution since it only reviews two of the three apps available, and contains limited information

I'd point again to the ilounge article reviewing all three apps to anyone considering them.

As an aside the ilounge article contains an explanation of
amfeature Co-Pilot has that the others don't called "Local Search" Even stand alone gps units suffer from incomplete poi databases, which just goes with the territory. With CoPilot if you search for a
poi and it's not in the database, you can use local search which will connect to the Internet, find the poi info and complete your routing for you. Very cool
feature that no other unit has that I know of

ev
Old 08-21-2009, 05:03 PM   #64
floydpink
crazy diamond

First Name: Pete
Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation

Best I could figure out was I need to wait a bit and keep using my old Magellan gps in the car. Amazing that the box I paid $500 a couple years ago for, is now dinosaur in gps terms.

I seems like the smart phone gps software is on the cusp of really being good, if not by the top 3, but maybe someone not yet on the scene.

Once I figure out the best gps for the iPhone, I'm gonna buy a really cool motorcycle handlebar clip for the iPhone and I can have gps when I need it most; on the road to nowhere.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:33 PM   #65
RGD.
God Like Status

First Name: Ron
Trading: (1)
VR Army (Served With Honor)
RGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenvt View Post
. . . I just priced out blackberry and for 450 minutes a month, 5GB data (smallest plan then had for data), and unlimited text and email, I'm looking at like $115 a month . . .

NATIONWIDE EMAIL & MESSAGING 450 MINS UNLIM BLACKBERRY $99.99

There ya go. That's the line from my Verizon bill on what I have and pay.

Unlimited email, messaging and data - the 450 minutes on the Blackberry data plan. And I'm here in the DC area also.

I think the iPhones are great - know people that have them, but I really love my BB Storm. It does everything that "I" want it to do. They have a great selection of apps now (not as extensive as the iPhone) and I can even import my iTunes playlist to my Storm.

One other item that people overlook - you can change out/exchange the memory card in the Storm. Can't do that on an iPhone.

Ron
RGD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 06:51 PM   #66
cricky101
Micro brew tester

First Name: Chris
Trading: (8)
RA
cricky101 will become famous soon enough

Another iPhone fan here. I got the 3gs and it's the first smart phone I've tried. I love the music player aspect of it too and how easily it syncs with my laptop.

Initially I wanted a phone to sync with my gmail, google calendar, and have a web browser. I am yet to be disapointed.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:04 AM   #67
Scottastic
ROFLCOPTER

Trading: (8)
Partagas
Scottastic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGD. View Post
NATIONWIDE EMAIL & MESSAGING 450 MINS UNLIM BLACKBERRY $99.99

There ya go. That's the line from my Verizon bill on what I have and pay.

Unlimited email, messaging and data - the 450 minutes on the Blackberry data plan. And I'm here in the DC area also.

I think the iPhones are great - know people that have them, but I really love my BB Storm. It does everything that "I" want it to do. They have a great selection of apps now (not as extensive as the iPhone) and I can even import my iTunes playlist to my Storm.

One other item that people overlook - you can change out/exchange the memory card in the Storm. Can't do that on an iPhone.

Ron
AT&T: 450 Minutes Unlimited Messaging Unlimited Data $89.99

Not saying you were, but it gets old when I hear people talk about how much more expensive AT&T is over Verizon with our smartphones. I just can't help shouting out when we're cheaper

Professional window licker on the short bus.
Scottastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 12:05 PM   #68
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I have 900 minutes, unlimited data, and unlimited texting with at&t, and it's far cheaper than what I was paying at Verizon.
It's not apples to apples, but when I priced out the plan for the Storm, it was far more than at&t.
The main thing is that verizon nickled and dimed me to death, and with every new cool phone, they'd cripple most of the coolest features on the phone so they could charge me extra.
I hated the shiftlessness, lying, and downright greed.
My entire experience with at&t has been pleasant. Everything works far better than I ever imagined, and I'm happy.

Back to the gps app...
I've tried Navigon around town a few times now, and I could not be more pleased.
Actually, I'm thrilled. It is so much more user friendly than my last gps, does far more than I need it to do, picks up a signal almost immediately, and works better than I could have ever hoped. It was 70 bucks.
I'd have opted for tom tom, but I've used tom tom in the past, and quite frankly it doesn't compare to navigon on any level.
I'd recommend it to anyone in a minute, and I'm probably the second biggest dick on the planet when it comes to "insisting I get what I pay for.

I also don't do glowing reviews. I couldn't be more pleased with the iphone and I love it more every day.
I hated the Blackberry Storm before I even left the Verizon kiosk at the mall, and I'd really wanted one since I first read about it.
The only two rubs I have about the iphone are the inability to support flash and the inability to picture message. Those two things are supposed to be ironed out shortly.
Even if the flash issue is never resolved, I'll live.
I'd very much like to send a text message without having to email pics. I'd like to receive them without having to visit a website and type in a message ID and password that I can't possibly remember.
Once at&t supports the pic mailing from the texting app, I'll be very pleased.
As it stands, it sucks. And it's silly that it's not supported.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:18 PM   #69
aich75013
Feeling at Home

First Name: Adrian
Trading: (25)
Montecristo
aich75013 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
Back to the gps app...
I've tried Navigon around town a few times now, and I could not be more pleased.
Actually, I'm thrilled. It is so much more user friendly than my last gps, does far more than I need it to do, picks up a signal almost immediately, and works better than I could have ever hoped. It was 70 bucks.
Glad to hear it.
I bought it this morning and left it downloading on my pc. I will sync when I get home.
It was over 1gb, so I didn't try to do it from my phone. As it was, iTunes estimated 1 hour for download on my pc.

Now I need to check ebay for a car mount.
aich75013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 12:21 PM   #70
coastietech

Here is something I wrote up on another forum for someone who was asking about smart phones. It may help. The information is about 3 months old. The new Iphone 3GS allows cut and paste and stereo bluetooth...

Quote:
I have had a Blackberry Storm and a Blackberry Bold. I have also had a number of WinMo phones like the HTC Touch, the HTC 8525 and a few others. I will be very hard pressed to use anything but a Blackberry in the future.

If you worried about getting the WinMo office utilities BB has their own version that comes with the phone and they work just as well.

The user interface on a BB is very friendly and easy to figure out. They are probably the most customizable phones on the market at this point. And with the advent of the BB App Store they are developing a large number of 3rd party applications.

The Iphone is a decent suggestion. There are a couple of issues that may or may not be a big deal to you. They are as follows...
-As of right now you can't send MMS. Meaning the only way you can share videos or pics is to email them you can't text them
-As of right now you can't cut and paste text
-You can't run more than one application on the phone at a time and there are no background apps. So for instance if you are using a program to give you directions somewhere and you want to send a text you have to completely exit out of the nav program, send your text and then start the nav program up all over again. BB allows you to leave open multiple programs and multi task.
-Iphone does not have A2DP therefor you can not get stereo bluetooth. So listening to movies or music via bluetooth is not an option.
-No push email. The Iphone will fetch your email every 15 mins at minimum but you will never get it instantly like on the BB.

The first two issues are supposed to be remedied this summer with the release of Iphone 3.0 I wouldn't hold my breath.

The Curve is a great phone. It is built well, very stable, and will do everything you want it to and more. Matter of fact it just outsold every other phone on the market this quarter. The only disappointing thing about the Curve on Sprint is the lack of 3G. It has Wifi but if your not in a hotspot your stuck surfing the internet as slow GPRS speeds.

If you can wait another month for a phone the Palm Pre will be debuting on Sprint and it's supposed to be one of the best phones available. I have read quite a few reports on it and it is going to be a great touch screen phone. The completly redid the entire Palm operating system and the have quite a few new innovations. I would atleast google it and see it if it interests you. It is going to me out end of May or early June.

Hope this helps...
Old 08-24-2009, 12:32 PM   #71
joeybear

My wife and I both have iPhones and we love them. The batteries don't last too long if messed with a lot during the day, but the phones are great!
Old 08-24-2009, 12:53 PM   #72
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by aich75013 View Post
Glad to hear it.
I bought it this morning and left it downloading on my pc. I will sync when I get home.
It was over 1gb, so I didn't try to do it from my phone. As it was, iTunes estimated 1 hour for download on my pc.

Now I need to check ebay for a car mount.
Adrian, if you find a decent car mount, let me know, will ya?
I need one too. I ordered a double round of chargers house and car) and usb cables last week and already got them.
Never thought about the car mount though.
I'd like a half decent one. I had one before and it was really a cheap pos.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:08 PM   #73
aich75013
Feeling at Home

First Name: Adrian
Trading: (25)
Montecristo
aich75013 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
Adrian, if you find a decent car mount, let me know, will ya?
I need one too. I ordered a double round of chargers house and car) and usb cables last week and already got them.
Never thought about the car mount though.
I'd like a half decent one. I had one before and it was really a cheap pos.
I just ordered a super cheap one for 2.99 shipped from FleaBay. It'll probably be junk, but only $3 wasted.
I saw another that the phone actually clipped into, but I keep mine in an inCase hard case, so I doubt the clip version will work. and I don't want to have to take it out of the case to use the mount.
Saw one at WallyWorld today, but they wanted $25 for basically the same as the $3 one.
I'll let you know when I get it. It's supposed to be shipped from the US.
aich75013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 01:14 PM   #74
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by aich75013 View Post
I just ordered a super cheap one for 2.99 shipped from FleaBay. It'll probably be junk, but only $3 wasted.
I saw another that the phone actually clipped into, but I keep mine in an inCase hard case, so I doubt the clip version will work. and I don't want to have to take it out of the case to use the mount.
Saw one at WallyWorld today, but they wanted $25 for basically the same as the $3 one.
I'll let you know when I get it. It's supposed to be shipped from the US.
Thanks brother.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:38 PM   #75
massphatness
Where's my buffaloooo ...

First Name: Vin
Trading: (206)
ERdM
massphatness has disabled reputation

IMPORTANT FYI on the iPhone: Do not, I repeat: DO NOT submerge it underwater for a significant period of time. Apparently all the wires and gizmos inside the thing don't like it.

Also, if you're expecting remnants of a hurricane to pass through your area while you're at an outdoor concert, do not assume that placing your iPhone in a backpack with the backpack under a tarp is necessarily going to protect it from the elements. See FYI above for additional info.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:51 PM   #76
JE3146
Jordan #2

First Name: Jordan
Trading: (26)
Partagas
JE3146 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by massphatness View Post
IMPORTANT FYI on the iPhone: Do not, I repeat: DO NOT submerge it underwater for a significant period of time. Apparently all the wires and gizmos inside the thing don't like it.

Also, if you're expecting remnants of a hurricane to pass through your area while you're at an outdoor concert, do not assume that placing your iPhone in a backpack with the backpack under a tarp is necessarily going to protect it from the elements. See FYI above for additional info.
Ummmmmm..... Duh.
Posted via Mobile Device
JE3146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 01:53 PM   #77
massphatness
Where's my buffaloooo ...

First Name: Vin
Trading: (206)
ERdM
massphatness has disabled reputation

Just trying to add my first hand knowledge and experience to the thread.
Old 08-24-2009, 02:03 PM   #78
Resipsa

For the guys looking for a car mount, I'm using the griffin window seat and love it. Set you back 30 at the apple store or BB, but I found a bunch of them at my local tjMaxx for under 10 bucks and amazons has it for 12. Only thing it can't be in a case, it's specifc to the iphone and locks it in very securely with little wiggle room

Last edited by Resipsa; 08-24-2009 at 02:09 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 02:07 PM   #79
chenvt
Duck the Futch!!!

Trading: (23)
chenvt will become famous soon enough

I went inside the ATT store yesterday looking to purchase.. played around the iphone for about 30 minutes, tried to find some help, couldn't get any so I walked out..

now I'm thinking about the LG enV Touch as a nice compromise.. more research to be conducted
chenvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 02:17 PM   #80
Resipsa

no wifi on that phone, you'd be stuck with verizone and this from a review:

The recently released LG enV Touch is no smartphone like the iPhone or Palm Pre, but it certainly impresses as a high-end feature phone.

Last edited by Resipsa; 08-24-2009 at 02:22 PM.