Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Entertainment

Old 05-23-2011, 09:04 AM   #1
madwilliamflint
Cigar n00b

First Name: Michael
Trading: (0)
madwilliamflint is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Games thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoco View Post
I started up on DragonAge: Origins again last night. I tried it when it first came out, and it just didn't do anything for me. I am enjoying it quite a bit more so far. Just had it laying around for a year, seemed like it was time to sit down and play it haha.
30+ years of RPGing and DragonAge just kicked my a** all the time if I played anything but a tank.

I gave up early.
madwilliamflint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:01 PM   #2
Apoco
Nerd with social skills

First Name: Alex
Trading: (37)
Apoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by madwilliamflint View Post
30+ years of RPGing and DragonAge just kicked my a** all the time if I played anything but a tank.

I gave up early.
I am relieved to hear that - I was starting to think that I just sucked :P
Posted via Mobile Device
Apoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 05:37 PM   #3
madwilliamflint
Cigar n00b

Quote:
I am relieved to hear that - I was starting to think that I just sucked :P
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah, the mage stuff was all really cool. But I just love playing rogue archetypes too much. *squish*
Old 05-25-2011, 06:28 AM   #4
Apoco
Nerd with social skills

Apoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Yeah, the mage stuff was all really cool. But I just love playing rogue archetypes too much. *squish*
I've been playing as a rogue too. I got to a part last night that forced me to ragequit. I'll try again tonight haha

Quote:
Anything I can get on Steam I do. It's a spectacular platform. Mass Effect 1/2. Fallout, Eufloria, Rift, EvE, Orange Box games,etc.

I've just ordered a new gaming rig so all I have to do is figure out how to xfer saved games and I'm golden.

No more discs for me.
Word! The last game I bought on disc was SC2.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-23-2011, 08:58 AM   #5
madwilliamflint
Cigar n00b

I'm actually cracking out on Minecraft lately.

Bought Brink on Steam but need to get my new gaming rig (happy birthday to me) in order to even look at it.

Other than that I'm fiending for Mass Effect 3, Duke Nukem and... oh who knows what else.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:19 AM   #6
jwillm

Quote:
I'm actually cracking out on Minecraft lately.

Bought Brink on Steam but need to get my new gaming rig (happy birthday to me) in order to even look at it.

Other than that I'm fiending for Mass Effect 3, Duke Nukem and... oh who knows what else.
If you're digging Minecraft, you may want to check our Terraria also. Can be found on Steam.

I just began a replay of all the Fable games...forgot how much I love them!
Old 05-23-2011, 09:38 AM   #7
madwilliamflint
Cigar n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwillm View Post
If you're digging Minecraft, you may want to check our Terraria also. Can be found on Steam.

I just began a replay of all the Fable games...forgot how much I love them!
Nice. I'll definitely check it out.thanks o/

Not a new one but you know what I really enjoy is Eufloria. If you're on steam pull down the demo. It's solid, simple and clever.

Minecraft is really crackilicious. Problem is on my laptop (win7/64) it locks up about every 10 minutes or so. Oddly I've gotten used to it and still play. The guys in the irc channel exhausted their suggestions at "upgrade video drivers".
Old 05-28-2011, 05:02 PM   #8
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Just beat Mafia II, wow it was stupid. Half a game, there was no use for half the features in the game.....pathetic.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 10:47 PM   #9
madwilliamflint
Cigar n00b

Default Brink

If you're an FPS team guy, Brink is really quite intense. Unfortunately it's not quite my style. Very solid game though. I can highly recommend it if your genre matches.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:54 AM   #10
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

First Name: Joe
Vegueros
VirtualSmitty has disabled reputation
Default Re: Brink

Quote:
If you're an FPS team guy, Brink is really quite intense. Unfortunately it's not quite my style. Very solid game though. I can highly recommend it if your genre matches.
It is different. I like it, but it is certainly more akin to Team Fortress than COD. Wish the player base was bigger though, I don't think it sold very well, half the time i'm playing with bots.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:18 PM   #11
Apoco
Nerd with social skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualSmitty View Post
Quote:
It is different. I like it, but it is certainly more akin to Team Fortress than COD. Wish the player base was bigger though, I don't think it sold very well, half the time i'm playing with bots.
I heard Brink was SUPER buggy, and that the AI was terrible. I didn't bother to pick it up for those reasons.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:34 AM   #12
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

Vegueros

Quote:
I heard Brink was SUPER buggy, and that the AI was terrible. I didn't bother to pick it up for those reasons.
It has had a few patches post release, to be honest aside from some frame rate issues I didn't notice anything game breaking before. The AI is indeed crap though, which is frustrating given how few people are playing it. Stalemates aplenty because the AI is too stupid to act as a team. If you are looking for a good team based shooter Team Fortress 2 is still the better choice.

I also picked up the Witcher 2. Agree with the Bill, the combat sucks but the story is kind of interesting. Still on the fence about it, don't think i'll finish it but it is kinda fun in small doses.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:48 PM   #13
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Hmmm I might look into Brink soon. Playing The Witcher 2 right now, so far iffy....not sure how I feel. The combat sucks that's for sure but the story seems like it's going somewhere...
Old 05-31-2011, 05:29 PM   #14
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba

The Witcher 2

Combat 6/10 - This is where the game really lacked, mouse click = fighting. The entire combat is comprised of one mouse click, the keys X and Q. That is it.
Story 9/10 - Great interesting story, the end fell a little flat IMO though.
Gameplay 7.5/10 - At times confusing and doesn't really explain much.

Overall rating, ...eh it's worth playing once if you have nothing else to play. But that's about it. If they would have improved the combat, and maybe added a few hours to the gameplay.....

I could go on and on but I'm sure this makes the point.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:31 AM   #15
madwilliamflint
Cigar n00b

Ok Solo FPS, reasonable single-player and online action.

Whatcha like?

I need to just go blow s*** up.

Brink would work if it weren't so damn teamy.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:22 AM   #16
Apoco
Nerd with social skills

Quote:

Whatcha like?

When I'm looking for a quick killing-streak fix I usually reach for Counter-Strike Source or MW2. It all depends on how much of a dick I feel like being.

Let me elaborate on the way I play MW2. I load into a map and say one of a few phrases "LOL NOOB TUBE" "LOL CAMPING WITH A THERMAL SCOPE" "LOL UMP" etc. I play that game when I'm in a be-a-jerk-online kind of mood.

CS:S is pretty fun. And when you load into a gungame, it is really fast paced with zero team work involved. Gungame is also popular in condition zero.

There aren't any really modern day shooters (Other than Black Ops, but you already know about that one I'm sure) that are lone-wolf. CS:S, unreal tourney, etc. were all a blast and had no team work required. You always have the option to work as a team - and it is more needed on objective based maps/modes.

However, CS:S and UT don't fulfill your single player bit. I'd recommend BF:BC2 or MoH for single player. I play through old school Medal of Honor: Allied Assault every few years. Still a fantastic game.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-02-2011, 02:44 PM   #17
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

Vegueros

Quote:

Whatcha like?

Crysis 2 would fit the bill for a new game. I actually like the single player more than the multiplayer, but multi isn't bad at all. Maybe try one of the Mount and Blades for something a little different?
Old 06-03-2011, 06:08 PM   #18
madwilliamflint
Cigar n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualSmitty View Post
Crysis 2 would fit the bill for a new game. I actually like the single player more than the multiplayer, but multi isn't bad at all. Maybe try one of the Mount and Blades for something a little different?
Nice to hear Crysis 2 didn't go the 'mostly multiplayer' route.

Steam is having a great deal this weekend: Free multiplayer on CoD:Black Ops through Sunday. I've gotten a couple hours in already. It's pretty intense. Might be enough to make me go for it.
Old 06-04-2011, 11:24 AM   #19
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba

Anyone interested in Duke Nukem Forever?

I played the demo, 3 times, yesterday.

All I can say is it's definitely up to date and true to form. Duke always has a cigar, beers, sluts, and an ego equivalent to the size of the U.S of A.

This ones going to kick ass....but I think people are expecting too much. It's not supposed to be a "game of the year" or anything of the sort, just old fashioned FPS violence with classic 80's style one liners.

Duke is still the chauvinistic pig we all know and love from way back......It's going to be a heck of a fun game.
Old 06-05-2011, 03:25 PM   #20
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

Vegueros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
Anyone interested in Duke Nukem Forever?

I played the demo, 3 times, yesterday.

All I can say is it's definitely up to date and true to form. Duke always has a cigar, beers, sluts, and an ego equivalent to the size of the U.S of A.

This ones going to kick ass....but I think people are expecting too much. It's not supposed to be a "game of the year" or anything of the sort, just old fashioned FPS violence with classic 80's style one liners.

Duke is still the chauvinistic pig we all know and love from way back......It's going to be a heck of a fun game.
I liked the demo quite a bit. Admittedly a lot of it has to do with the nostalgia factor, but it was pretty entertaining. It plays like an old school title, will be interesting to see how it sells.