Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 04:10 PM   #41
BC-Axeman

Default Re: Why so hateful lately?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post
yeah Tom. Get your ass to Florida, but do it in november when I am around. Would love to smoke with you, and we can both pick on Carlos at the same time
Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
That sounds like a definite plan, Gents.

November herf in Florida at Carlos's?!?

Old 06-09-2010, 04:11 PM   #42
bvilchez
En búsqueda.....

First Name: Bolivar aka Jay
Trading: (76)
Bolivar MarineCorps (Active)
bvilchez has disabled reputation

I never intended to disrespect anyone. It was a term that was used just to refer to the new fad...that's all. Yes I could've used another term at the time but that's the one that I used. I apologized before for using it. It wasn't directed at any one person or group. Next time I'll just chose my words more carefully.

I respect each and everyone here. Even if I have herfed with you or not, you are all grown men (and women) who should be respected the same way I would expect to be respected (not saying I have been disrespected).

Hopefully this ends soon because I really feel like crap now.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:12 PM   #43
wolfandwhisky
Resident Whisky Addict

First Name: Matt
Trading: (4)
Cohiba
wolfandwhisky is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I haven't seen that much hate at all, except in any thread having to do with Apple.
bashing and offensive language should be perfectly acceptable in the Apple thread

Old 06-09-2010, 05:19 PM   #44
Neuromancer
Will work for Boli GM's

First Name: Marc
Trading: (23)
Bolivar
Neuromancer will become famous soon enoughNeuromancer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post
Is it just me that has noticed this?

While the team of eleven does an awesome job on this site, the majority of which are personal friends of mine, it seems there are folks hell bent on making it tough.

This is a community and I personally view it as family. I have made so many friends throughout the country that I have herfed with thanks to this site. Family should take care of family. Totally sucks when life imitates art and you come here for a retreat and find yourself with similar family bickering we all have in our lives at home.

I recognize this is a forum that often times calls for views and opinions. However, very many times, it frankly doesn't and ones opinion is as welcome as a hole in the head. The trick is knowing when that arises. Am I good at it? I don't think any of us are perfect but we should all keep it in the back of our minds. The trick is to also refrain from offensive adjectives such as "morons", "idiots", "gay", etc.

I can't help but notice so many instances as of late where one person discusses something they like and immediately, without welcome, someone has to make a comment of how crappy it is, how stupid it is, how you are a moron, how you must be a blind follower of a cult and on and on. Tastes vary. Budgets vary. What makes me release serotonin differs from you. If I like a BMW and you like a Yugo, why should I knock your Yugo as a piece of crap, even if it is as has been proven? What you consider fun, someone else might consider boring. I think in those instances, one should take measure to what one says and if you don't like it, don't look at it, or simply state you don't like it. Why name calling? Why bickering? I have enough of that at home and it sucks to come here and find it also.

So.......my message is simple. As I grow older (now 51) than many of the folks on this board and simultaneously wiser, I ask we all make the lives of all on this board a tad easier by thinking twice about comments/opinions that may be offensive. It is not about PC at all. It is about being courteous to someone that will likely make a great person to share a cigar with but instead, you pissed off with poorly selected and poorly thought out verbiage.
HEY!!! I like my Yugo even if you think it's a piece of crap...and you can stick your BMW...as far as your post, it was pretty moronic...

Hi, Carlos...

PS - j/k...don't really have a Yugo...
Old 06-09-2010, 05:28 PM   #45
looking for know
Dr. Mike

First Name: Mike
Trading: (10)
Army (Served With Honor)
looking for know is on a distinguished road

Old 06-10-2010, 07:17 AM   #46
taltos
Really, really old

First Name: Paul
Trading: (3)
Punch MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
taltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the rough

Great post Carlos, I noticed the changes quite a while ago and should have posted about it instead of walking away.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:11 PM   #47
captain53
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (3)
captain53 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I haven't seen that much hate at all, except in any thread having to do with Apple.
but to be nice he ain't stupid! I mean sometimes we don't agree and say so but I have not seen much of anything extreme at all. As someone else mentioned it does look to me like the posts have dropped way off in the past couple of months, especially from some of the long standing members but don't think it is "hate" just figured it to be burnout or something.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:28 PM   #48
KenS
When do I get my meds?

Trading: (26)
Partagas
KenS has a spectacular aura aboutKenS has a spectacular aura about

It is really interesting to see the specific reaction to Apple. As I am in IT (and an iPhone developer), I see it all the time. For some reason, which I really don't want to debate , there is polar love/hate thing that goes on with Mac/PC and now iPhone/Android. In technology forums, any comment thread is littered with hate in one direction or the other. I just amazes me how passionate people get about a damn phone or computer

The difference here is that these are side topics to our main reason for being here. I hope the trust and respect on this board can buffer those other topics some. Hate to have them banned like the political threads are.

Now, who says NC's are as good as CC's? You must be crazy
Old 06-10-2010, 01:52 PM   #49
poker
1:11

First Name: Kelly
Trading: (7)
Cohiba
poker has disabled reputation

Some folks have stated it seems posts have dropped off recently, and it has a bit. Not much really, but it has.

But if you look at May '09 compared to May '10, its almost identical.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new posts.JPG (96.0 KB, 187 views)

Cigar Asylum: A cigar board birthed without agendas, without profiting, and without advertisements. Amor puro

Character is what you do when no one is watching
Old 06-10-2010, 02:00 PM   #50
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
And fix chat threads...
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenS View Post

The difference here is that these are side topics to our main reason for being here. I hope the trust and respect on this board can buffer those other topics some. Hate to have them banned like the political threads are.

Now, who says NC's are as good as CC's? You must be crazy
This is a cigar forum, but most of the participation comes from categories not related to cigars nowadays. Nothing wrong with that at all, as long as we remember that cigars are the common bond that brought us all together.
Quote:
Originally Posted by poker View Post
Some folks have stated it seems posts have dropped off recently, and it has a bit. Not much really, but it has.

That was me, Kelly. I didn't look at actual post counts, and it may be just my imagination that the site has slowed down a bit in participation and discussion. It may just be me, but there used to be days when I could spend a couple of hours on this site in discussion, but lately I can spend less than an hour and cover most of the site. Not that that's a bad thing. I post too much anyway.

EDIT: Upon review of this post, it seems like my thoughts may be seen as a bit negative. I didn't intend for them to be taken that way. Just to let everyone know that I do love this place! Best thing on the intranets!

Insert quote here.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:02 PM   #51
Dark Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by poker View Post

Count might be off there. You're missing 10 days of May 09.

I work for Microsoft and own an iPhone. Let the hate flow.

Dunno. Only been here for a few weeks, but I haven't really seen any negativity. For the most part everything is super positive and supportive. As some mentioned, certian topics are going to spark disagreement just by their nature. Best thing to do is just to avoid getting pulled in to any flame wars. Plenty of other stuff to talk about.

Old 06-10-2010, 02:07 PM   #52
weak_link
The Stranger

First Name: Eric
Trading: (1)
Montecristo
weak_link has a spectacular aura aboutweak_link has a spectacular aura aboutweak_link has a spectacular aura about

fwiw I'm a mod on a motorcycle forum w/ 35,000 members and they've been a$$holes to each other lately. Must be something in the air.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:26 PM   #53
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by weak_link View Post
fwiw I'm a mod on a motorcycle forum w/ 35,000 members and they've been a$$holes to each other lately. Must be something in the air.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:35 PM   #54
weak_link
The Stranger

First Name: Eric
Trading: (1)
Montecristo
weak_link has a spectacular aura aboutweak_link has a spectacular aura aboutweak_link has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen910 View Post
You got a purty mouf, boy.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:18 PM   #55
wolfandwhisky
Resident Whisky Addict

First Name: Matt
Cohiba
wolfandwhisky is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenS View Post
It is really interesting to see the specific reaction to Apple. As I am in IT (and an iPhone developer), I see it all the time. For some reason, which I really don't want to debate , there is polar love/hate thing that goes on with Mac/PC and now iPhone/Android. In technology forums, any comment thread is littered with hate in one direction or the other. I just amazes me how passionate people get about a damn phone or computer

It's not the hardware that is the problem (or the applications, except for the itunes store... hate that thing... )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Jester View Post

I work for Microsoft and own an iPhone.
Let the hate flow.

Traitor. When is my Zune Phone coming out?

ok, ok... I know... threadjack, and not only that, a threadjack espousing the exact opposite of the goal of the thread.

Old 06-10-2010, 04:01 PM   #56
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvilchez View Post
I never intended to disrespect anyone. It was a term that was used just to refer to the new fad...that's all. Yes I could've used another term at the time but that's the one that I used. I apologized before for using it. It wasn't directed at any one person or group. Next time I'll just chose my words more carefully.

I respect each and everyone here. Even if I have herfed with you or not, you are all grown men (and women) who should be respected the same way I would expect to be respected (not saying I have been disrespected).

Hopefully this ends soon because I really feel like crap now.
Don't sweat it, brother. There's gotta be intent for malice. It sure isn't something you've shown.
I'm sure I'm not the only one that loves ya. Rub dirt in it and take a lap.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:24 PM   #57
Ashcan Bill
Ol' Dude

First Name: Bill
Trading: (6)
Partagas
Ashcan Bill has disabled reputation

I gotta say, this thread really mystifies me.

I cruise a number of forums on various topics, and the Asylum is one of the most mature, friendly and respectful sites I've had the pleasure of participating on.

Once in a while we probably all say something dumb, or shoot our mouth off and wish we could have a retake. But I can't say I've ever seen any hate here. Maybe I'm just lucky as far as the threads I open up.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:34 PM   #58
Dark Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashcan Bill View Post
I gotta say, this thread really mystifies me.

I cruise a number of forums on various topics, and the Asylum is one of the most mature, friendly and respectful sites I've had the pleasure of participating on.

Once in a while we probably all say something dumb, or shoot our mouth off and wish we could have a retake. But I can't say I've ever seen any hate here. Maybe I'm just lucky as far as the threads I open up.
What he said.

Old 06-10-2010, 06:19 PM   #59
BC-Axeman

I would call hateful people morons or idiots but that would be dumb.

Last edited by icehog3; 06-10-2010 at 11:06 PM.

Old 06-10-2010, 07:28 PM   #60
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

First Name: Boffa
Trading: (48)
Partagas
HK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC-Axeman View Post
I would call hateful people morons or idiots but that would be dumb.

Last edited by icehog3; 06-10-2010 at 11:07 PM.
Closed Thread