Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 03-16-2010, 12:45 PM   #41
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trading: (159)
Trinidad
wayner123 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Anyone experienced with Pergo type flooring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by poker View Post
The wife and I both like the look of this one. The price though almost seems too inexpensive though. In many things, you get what you pay for but Im not sure that applies here as well. Thoughts?

http://www.lumberliquidators.com/cat...&Go.x=0&Go.y=0
I wouldn't go with anything less than 8mm. Furthermore, I would bet that particular laminate would fail the "key test". One shift of a chair is all it takes to scratch or gouge some laminates.

Lastly they are called lumber liquidators for a reason. I have found them to have off pieces as well as what you might call clearance or discontinued items. While that may be a good thing for cigars, it's not for flooring. Again these are all just my opinions. I would highly recommend getting the samples and/or go to a flooring store and feel the different types.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:48 PM   #42
poker
1:11

First Name: Kelly
Trading: (7)
Cohiba
poker has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner123 View Post
I wouldn't go with anything less than 8mm. Furthermore, I would bet that particular laminate would fail the "key test". One shift of a chair is all it takes to scratch or gouge some laminates.

Lastly they are called lumber liquidators for a reason. I have found them to have off pieces as well as what you might call clearance or discontinued items. While that may be a good thing for cigars, it's not for flooring. Again these are all just my opinions. I would highly recommend getting the samples and/or go to a flooring store and feel the different types.
I figured there was a reason it was so inexpensive.

(sure is nice looking though)

Cigar Asylum: A cigar board birthed without agendas, without profiting, and without advertisements. Amor puro

Character is what you do when no one is watching
poker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:56 PM   #43
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trading: (159)
Trinidad
wayner123 has disabled reputation

What price range are you looking at? I would say here in FL, to get a good laminate you are looking at around $2.99/sf. Then you need to buy the underlayment which is usually $1/sf. If you need a moisture barrier, that's about another $.50/sf. You are in Cali, so things may be more expensive, but I would say around $3-$4/sf (including laminate) is going to get you quality flooring.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:00 PM   #44
poker
1:11

First Name: Kelly
Trading: (7)
Cohiba
poker has disabled reputation

Not really worried too much on pricing I guess. I guess 2K-3K maximum would be in my price range (500-550 sq ft)

Cigar Asylum: A cigar board birthed without agendas, without profiting, and without advertisements. Amor puro

Character is what you do when no one is watching
poker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 01:35 PM   #45
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by poker View Post
The wife and I both like the look of this one. The price though almost seems too inexpensive though. In many things, you get what you pay for but Im not sure that applies here as well. Thoughts?

http://www.lumberliquidators.com/cat...&Go.x=0&Go.y=0
Doesn't have padding attached to plank. You will need to lay down padding on your own with this one so incorporate that price also into cost.

If you can, I strongly recommend the one with the padding already on it. My house didn't have it, my son's does. The latter is much easier to do.
Old 03-16-2010, 03:38 PM   #46
floydpink
crazy diamond

First Name: Pete
Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation

I love my Pergo and wasn't up for a huge project, so I had Lowes do it and got the 12 month no interest financing. The job was about 12k, which sucked, but I donated one year's tax return and am set for a long time. It looks great and they had to rip out some tile areas as well. The amount of dust was amazing when the rugs came up and the house looked so much better when the project was done.

I was amazed that they did the whole job in a day and a half and had to pay a little extra to have them move wall units and all kinds of heavy furniture.

A friend of my wife's says wood and laminate floors are like men; if you lay them right the first time, you can walk on them for life.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:47 PM   #47
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

First Name: Warren
Trading: (19)
BlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydpink View Post
A friend of my wife's says wood and laminate floors are like men; if you lay them right the first time, you can walk on them for life.
Hahaha! I just snorted beer!
Old 03-16-2010, 08:12 PM   #48
stinkie
Still Watching My Back

First Name: dan
Trading: (2)
stinkie is on a distinguished road

speaking from experience make sure that you get an extra saw blade for your miter saw. laminate flooring has a tendency to dull the blades. This is after doing three rooms in laminate flooring. Had to change after each one.oh measure twice cut once. and the 10% rule does apply. because of the cuts you will have to redo and starter cuts also depending on the shape of the room. make sure that the floor is Very clean before you start or you will have problems.

stinkie
stinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 08:32 PM   #49
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkie View Post
speaking from experience make sure that you get an extra saw blade for your miter saw. laminate flooring has a tendency to dull the blades. This is after doing three rooms in laminate flooring. Had to change after each one.oh measure twice cut once. and the 10% rule does apply. because of the cuts you will have to redo and starter cuts also depending on the shape of the room. make sure that the floor is Very clean before you start or you will have problems.

stinkie
One carbide blade. Less messing around, clean cuts.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:30 PM   #50
Rob.
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Matthew
Trading: (0)
Montecristo
Rob. is on a distinguished road

Do not buy 7mm flooring. Unless you want to replace it every few months. Also I find that along with a chop saw, a good jigsaw is a must. I have done whole houses with just a jigsaw and a few good blades, no chopsaw or skillsaw. If you set up a proper jig it is nearly as fast and uses less blades/less cost.
Rob. is offline   Reply With Quote