Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you consciously exhale through your nose?
No - That is crazy stuff 71 30.21%
Yes - I do it 164 69.79%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-17-2009, 05:15 PM   #41
ca21455
Working on Reality

First Name: John
Trading: (7)
Navy (Served With Honor)
ca21455 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Question for NC smokers

I nose, therefore I am...
ca21455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 05:29 PM   #42
Ashcan Bill
Ol' Dude

First Name: Bill
Trading: (6)
Partagas
Ashcan Bill has disabled reputation

I nose exhale to some degree on everything I smoke, regardless of which of the various islands it may originate from. Different tobaccos have different profiles, and an exhale through the nose is important for me to get a handle on those nuances.

Of course once in a while, just one nose exhale is sufficient to completely wither ones nasal hairs. It took me almost a month to recover from a manly nose exhale of a LFD Maduro Chisel.
Ashcan Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 06:01 PM   #43
fuubar

I usuially nose exhale every few puffs. If a cigar is stronger than I would prefer to nose exhale I blow out half the smoke, refill my mouth and then nose exhale.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:11 PM   #44
Snake Hips
Götterdämmerung

First Name: Tyler
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
Snake Hips will become famous soon enough

I nose exhale every puff since I learned how to do it. It's embedded in my brain. It just feels awkward not to, now, and the experience is greatly diminished when I don't.
Snake Hips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 06:20 PM   #45
CBI_2
Have My Own Room

First Name: Paul
Trading: (0)
CBI_2 is a jewel in the roughCBI_2 is a jewel in the roughCBI_2 is a jewel in the rough

Didn't used to but I do more now especially with TripleF harassing me about it all the time.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:57 PM   #46
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

CCs are made for snorking, but I do so with my NCs all the time.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 07:13 PM   #47
NickyTeen
My barn door is open

First Name: Kriss
Trading: (12)
Partagas
NickyTeen will become famous soon enoughNickyTeen will become famous soon enough

I nose exhale at least a portion of the smoke on almost every draw and have enjoyed cigars even more now that i do.
NickyTeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 07:25 PM   #48
troutbreath
Feeling at Home

First Name: Mike
Trading: (0)
troutbreath is on a distinguished road

I do this at least once on every stick. This really brings out the flavor. If it burns . . . well, I stop.
troutbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 08:22 PM   #49
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Klugs View Post
Originally Posted by elderboy02
I don't know how to. Also, the few times I accidentally did it, it hurt.

It's pretty easy.

WIthout a cigar...

1. Close your mouth tight and breathe in and out of your nose.

after a few times...

2. Open your jaw as far as it will go without seperating/opening your lips and keep inhaleing and exhaling through your nose.

after a few times....

3. add to the above puffing out your cheeks as far as you can without breaking the seal of your lips. Holding air in your mouth like a balloon. If you do it well you can create/feel the pressure on your cheeks independent of breathing in and out of your nose.

after a few times....

4. Take a full nasal inhale independent of but with your cheeks nice and full of air. On the exhale concentrate closing your jaw tight, defalating your cheeks and minimizing the airspace left in your mouth. Think about using your tongue to force the air up and back it might help.

If you got your cheeks to deflate and your mouth to close up without leaking any air through your lips.. you just did a nasal exhale. The air that was pressurizing your cheeks had to go somewhere. The key at first is to make sure your lungs are full so that you have the airway moving. After a bit of practice you can get the air/smoke out of your mouth thru your nose starting with empty lungs.
Thanks for the tips! I am going to have to try this.
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:05 PM   #50
BC-Axeman

After taking some smoke into your mouth you can go through the motion of saying "caw" with you lips closed while exhaling through your nose and that might get you snorking.
I used to be a cigarette smoker so it came naturally to me.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:10 PM   #51
Good_Stogies_Mon

I do at least a few times throughout smoking a cigar.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:14 PM   #52
groogs
Have My Own Room

First Name: Grant
Trading: (62)
Trinidad
groogs will become famous soon enoughgroogs will become famous soon enough

I snork every cigar I smoke. I think it improves every good gigar NC, or CC.
groogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 01:04 AM   #53
Ratters
Have My Own Room

Trading: (2)
Ratters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the rough

I tried to do it but it made me start saying all my "c"s and "g"s.
Ratters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 01:43 AM   #54
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I honestly didn't think a person could smoke a cigar and other way, this thread has really enlightened me.
The sweet spicy taste and smell in my nose is why I like smoking cigars.
When there's no wind I like to french inhale because it tastes different going up my nose than out my nose. I don't know why, you wouldn't think it'd be different, but it is.
I picked up the habit of smoking like that from when I was a kid and smoked menthols. I loved the menthol sinus flavor but could never make a habit of smoking cigs cause it cut my wind and I liked to play ball. Running out of breath halfway up the court or halfway to first base never settled well with me.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:46 AM   #55
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

Even though it can enhance the smoking experience, I try not to because I usually end up with a sinus infection.
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 07:24 AM   #56
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

...So you're saying that burning sensation is normal???

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 07:41 AM   #57
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post
...So you're saying that burning sensation is normal???
It goes away after you burn your brains out, don't sweat it.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:10 AM   #58
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysutherland View Post
CCs are made for snorking, but I do so with my NCs all the time.
It is my belief that all cigars are made to be smoked how the owner of the cigar pleases regardless of where the tobacco was grown. Just because tobacco was grown on one island versus another doesn't mean it should be smoked differently. That is an argument that makes no sense.

And I'm not directing this at you Andy. Your post just summed up what I think Klugs was looking for.
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 08:35 AM   #59
jpan

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
I honestly didn't think a person could smoke a cigar and other way, this thread has really enlightened me.
I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
It goes away after you burn your brains out, don't sweat it.

After reading everyone's different experiences, it makes me wonder if I didn't burn my brains out a long time ago. I never noticed a real difference in the intensity of the sensation from one cigar to another. Each is unique in it's own way. I just assumed everyone passed smoke thru their nose.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:38 AM   #60
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzle View Post
It is my belief that all cigars are made to be smoked how the owner of the cigar pleases regardless of where the tobacco was grown. Just because tobacco was grown on one island versus another doesn't mean it should be smoked differently. That is an argument that makes no sense.
It is my belief that forks are made to be used however the owner pleases, but it can be argued that they're intended to be pushed into food so that it can be delivered to said owner's mouth.
Call it tradition.
Goes the same with cigars. Tradition hopes that we'll smoke cigars in a fashion that we can appreciate them at the level that the devoted and inspired maker intended.
It has nothing to do with good or bad, wrong or right.
If I'm dating Tyra Banks and decide that we're just going to kiss, there's nothing wrong with that at all. It sure ain't bad. I'm gonna miss out on some treats, though.
That's why brothers share custom. So their friends can experience the pleasures they've found.
It's all good.