Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 02-25-2009, 07:40 PM   #41
mrreindeer

Default Re: Fuk....is anyone Anemic?

Thanks guys, I'm still freakin' out (probably more so now) and trying to figure out what to do next...

RBC is 2.95; Hemoglobin 6.8; Hematocrit 21.4....I'm not sure what the hell to do....one other Doc I talked to said I'm 'severely' anemic, shouldn't drive or work but suggested I avoid the transfusion if possible...then wtf?

I have an appt. after work tomorrow with a family practitioner who wanted me to go in for another bloodcount tonight (why, I have no idea)....what's he gonna do, cure me just by looking at me??

Colonoscopy is set for March 9th and while I'd rather push that lovely 'dreamdate' off if I can, it seems pretty damn far off if I'm having some serious shite going on...

WTF.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:55 PM   #42
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I'm glad they caught it quick for ya. Make sure you get your test results and a good explanation. I'm sure all the docs here will want to scrutinize this thing for you.
It's good to have good guys looking out for ya.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:05 PM   #43
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation

You'll be fine Dave...

Perry hope all is well with your mom.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:31 PM   #44
Cyanide

Dave....

This is a quick addendum to the PM I sent you. I forgot to mention this, then remembered, then you made mention of a repeat early visit, so that reminded me again.

That Hgb number is so low, that without some reasonable symptoms (like a racing heart rate...what is your heart rate?) it may actually be a lab error. So, yes, it would most certainly be worth while rechecking the complete blood count to see if it is an accurate representation of the truth.

So, if your Hgb comes back normal the second time....then that is great!!!

Cheers

Cyanide
Old 02-26-2009, 12:09 AM   #45
King James
Regard Me!

First Name: Jim
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
King James has disabled reputation

hopefully the appointment will clear stuff up for you..good luck!
Old 02-26-2009, 07:30 AM   #46
Scottw
Going Commando

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about

More prayers sent David, I'm here if you need me.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:59 AM   #47
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

Looks like there's life in Rancho Palos Verdes

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:08 AM   #48
mrreindeer

Alrighty folks.....well, that was scary....but I'm back in the saddle now, more or less.

First, thank you so much you guys for all your well wishes, concern & help; it means more to me than you'll ever know.

So....I went to the ER on Thursday morning after TWO (read that, TWO) different doctors (at TWO different offices) wouldn't see me and suggested I go to the ER. Nice.

I guess it's a good thing because with a hemoglobin level at 6.8, I was told that I could very well have passed out while driving, may not be getting enough oxygen to the 'ol noggin and/or not have enough blood in me to survive a serious accident.

So after my mother (who is a nurse) tracked me down in the ER and yelled at the poor nurses there to get me on the phone and begged me to only get 1 unit of blood when the doctor was advising I get 3 (which is a sh!tload of blood that I lost - for those who wanna know...1 unit is like 450 ml's...so 3 is 1,350 ml's....which is almost 2 bottles of wine or a 1-liter water bottle + a 1/3 of another), I went ahead and took the good doctor's advice and agreed to the 3 units.

Yeah, I was that low.

So they took real good care of me, admitted me and I stayed 2 nights in the hospital. On Friday, I had a colonoscopy and upper endoscopy to figure out where the bleeding was coming from. I've had a colonoscopy before and it's really no biggie. Even drinking the bowel prep the night before wasn't too bad (like salt water). The upper endoscopy was a bit nasty & violent as I guess I had to be awake while they shoved the scope down my throat (and I ain't talkin' mouthwash). Talk about gagging...

So the results came back and we were really relieved to find out that there was no bleeding coming from deep within my body; it was coming from my a$$ and probably the best case it could have been.

So obviously, my hemoglobin & other levels went up a bit (and stayed up) after the transfusions and the doc was satisfied enough to let me get the hell out of there on Saturday after 2 nights.

And let me tell you, this was my first overnight stay in a hospital and it sure feels better being on the outside. I was going absolutely crazy in there.

So now I just have to be a little more aware, a little more careful and monitor the situation, eat healthy, drink some Metamucil and have stuff high in iron & fiber and hopefully I'll stop bleeding completely.

I'll go in to the doc this week or next Monday for another bloodtest to check my levels and make sure things have improved.

Again, thank you so much for all your help and good wishes; I definitely felt the good vibes you guys.

And some of you, just some of you, have no shame.....what're 'ya thinking bombing a guy when he's down, huh??? (Gerard, Francis....not naming any names or anything.... It's much much appreciated guys, thank you so much)
Old 03-02-2009, 09:09 AM   #49
mrreindeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisersozei View Post
Looks like there's life in Rancho Palos Verdes
There is, there is!!!! I'm here!!! (you sly rascal you!)
Old 03-02-2009, 09:16 AM   #50
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

Delighted to hear that things appear to be correcting themselves for ya, my friend. Prayers for continued and complete recovery and a most enjoyable seegar to celebrate!
Old 03-02-2009, 09:16 AM   #51
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

Excellent news, David, glad to hear it all.... came out--er... turned out well--in the end. Scary stuff I'm sure, buddy, glad you're back in the saddle.

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:18 AM   #52
Darrell

I'm glad you're back and going well, old bean.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:19 AM   #53
mrreindeer

Thanks so much guys & Darrell, mrsreindeer wants to talk to you (again)...
Old 03-02-2009, 09:41 AM   #54
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Wow.
Glad to hear all is OK or working on getting there.
I am amazed you could have lost so much blood that way.
Years ago, I had a polyp towards the end there that bled profusely. Never had blood work done at that time. I wonder how low I got?
Turning 50 in two months and tell you what, you won't have to drag me to the doctor. I will gladly show up for my test.
Had it done 6 years ago or so. No biggie. Was knocked out.
I just want to make sure if he does both upper and lower, that he does the upper first.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:43 AM   #55
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

First Name: Tim
Trading: (52)
Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold

Awesome news, David. Good to see you back up to your old cranky self.

Last edited by 14holestogie; 03-02-2009 at 09:48 AM.
14holestogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:50 AM   #56
Darrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreindeer View Post
Thanks so much guys & Darrell, mrsreindeer wants to talk to you (again)...
We didn't talk much while you were laid up.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:51 AM   #57
mrreindeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post
Wow.
Glad to hear all is OK or working on getting there.
I am amazed you could have lost so much blood that way.
Years ago, I had a polyp towards the end there that bled profusely. Never had blood work done at that time. I wonder how low I got?
Turning 50 in two months and tell you what, you won't have to drag me to the doctor. I will gladly show up for my test.
Had it done 6 years ago or so. No biggie. Was knocked out.
I just want to make sure if he does both upper and lower, that he does the upper first.
Thank you Carlos...yeah, I've learned a lot from this....DEFINITELY don't ignore what your body tells you...and when you do....don't ignore what your body SHOWS you.... Yikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14holestogie View Post
Awesome news, David. Good to see you back up to your old cranky self.

Thank you Tim!
Old 03-02-2009, 09:52 AM   #58
mrreindeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell View Post
We didn't talk much while you were laid up.
Oooff......
Old 03-02-2009, 09:57 AM   #59
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Very good to hear the good news David. Now can we bomb you some more?
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:00 AM   #60
mrreindeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggainey View Post
Very good to hear the good news David.
Thank you Greg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggainey View Post
Now can we bomb you some more?
I'll just be over here.....