Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Entertainment

Old 12-04-2011, 07:29 PM   #1
Ashcan Bill
Ol' Dude

First Name: Bill
Trading: (6)
Partagas
Ashcan Bill has disabled reputation
Default Re: The Beatles: What am I missing?

Different strokes and all that.

I remember when they came over here and did their first tour. Remember the Beatles trading cards. Remember the little girls in the hood going all gaa gaa over them. Remember when their songs first hit the charts.

There're a few songs they did I like. Norwegian Wood comes to mind.

But I never cared much for them. I preferred Buffalo Springfield, Cream, the Stones, Joplin and the Holding Co. - a whole host of others. The sixties were a rich time for music.

They were good, but just a part of a large whole.
Ashcan Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:47 PM   #2
MajorCaptSilly
Sklee

First Name: Scott
Trading: (30)
Bolivar
MajorCaptSilly has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by blugill View Post
I think everyone on this forum can agree that Lady Justin Cyrus Spears is bad music and no one should listen to it. They have a limited shelf life and will fade into New Kids territory soon enough.
Music is like cigars. Listen to what you like and like what you listen to. There's no such thing as bad music as long as somebody is gaining enjoyment from it.

MCS
Old 12-04-2011, 07:22 PM   #3
Resipsa

Same thing lots of people said about the Ramones, Sex Pistols, New York Dolls.....
Old 12-04-2011, 07:33 PM   #4
yellowgoat

Srg.pepper is overated. Let it be was the best and always makes me think about how much more they could have done.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:37 PM   #5
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

Quote:
I'll start off by saying I don't get it. I'm 41, listened to them on the radio when they were on the radio. Was a paperboy in high school and frequently heard the radio documentaries about their life and times every weekend but I don't get it.

I'd be perfectly happy to never listen to another Beatles tune and not regret it. I know a lot of people still listen to them, but I find their stuff tired, dated, and not really relevant today.

Now Led Zeppelin on the other hand!
Preach on, brother!! I'm a decade older than you, and have listened to them all my life. Enough is enough. I liked them when I was younger, but have 100% burned out on them! That's it, plain and simple - Burn Out. I don't have a single Beatles tune on my iPhone or on any of my computers. Just can't listen to them any more. pretty much the same way with Elvis. I recently purchased over 500 LPs from a guy, which had a dozen or so original Beatles album hidden in the lot. Plan on selling every last one of them. Same with the dozen or more Elvis LPs in the bunch.

Last edited by SvilleKid; 12-04-2011 at 07:42 PM.
SvilleKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:54 PM   #6
Marlon K
2nd Place is first loser

First Name: Marlon
Trading: (3)
Bolivar
Marlon K is on a distinguished road

I'm With you on this one.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:08 PM   #7
BC-Axeman

What ever happened to Shaun Cassidy? He seemed to have such a promising future.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:14 PM   #8
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC-Axeman View Post
What ever happened to Shaun Cassidy? He seemed to have such a promising future.

He actually has stayed very busy as a produced on TV shows, including several big shows. Latest is on several episodes of "Blue Bloods". I saw his name on several of the episodes, and had to look it up to see if it was the same person!
Old 12-04-2011, 08:19 PM   #9
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

The Beatles aren't on my list of favorite bands, but they have LOTS of songs I enjoy.

I prefer to listen to silence over intolerant rants though (not you, Andy). Stones, Elvis, Floyd = meh? Gimmie a break.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 08:27 PM   #10
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Floyd rocks!

bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 08:31 PM   #11
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

I'm an Aunt Bea man.....

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 12-04-2011, 09:13 PM   #12
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
I'm an Aunt Bea man.....

The other Bea is very dissapointed.

bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 11:08 PM   #13
MNSmoker
Well Adjusted

First Name: Chris
Trading: (13)
Cohiba
MNSmoker has disabled reputation

You like what you like. Different strokes and all that jazz. You don't like The Beatles, and that's OK. Personally I love The Beatles and I think they're the greatest band of all time.

I'd like to preface this by stating that I'm 29 years old, so I never got to experience The Beatles music when it was first released. My dad and uncle are gigantic Beatles fans, so I've grown up with The Beatles my whole life.

The Beatles essentially started out as a pop band, but the progression that the band made musically over their career is nothing short of amazing to me. They encompassed many different genres of music and were a very experimental group. I'm still blown away by how creative that group was. With songs like "The Long and Winding Road", "Eleanor Rigby", "Yesterday" and "A Day in the Life", I'm still in awe of these songs after listening to them a thousand times over. And the songwriting of these guys was brilliant! I still get goosebumps every time I hear the song "In my Life".

And then there's the whole social aspect of the group's impact and the following British Invasion, but I'm too young to speak on that directly.

I'd also like to add that a small, but important, part of The Beatles success was the direction and musical addition of George Martin. He produced practically all of The Beatles albums and had a direct influence on the group and how their music progressed over the years.

Again, to each their own. And I love Led Zeppelin BTW
Old 12-05-2011, 04:32 AM   #14
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I'll start off by saying I don't get it. I'm 41, listened to them on the radio when they were on the radio. Was a paperboy in high school and frequently heard the radio documentaries about their life and times every weekend but I don't get it.

I'd be perfectly happy to never listen to another Beatles tune and not regret it. I know a lot of people still listen to them, but I find their stuff tired, dated, and not really relevant today.

Now Led Zeppelin on the other hand!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNSmoker View Post
You like what you like. Different strokes and all that jazz. You don't like The Beatles, and that's OK. Personally I love The Beatles and I think they're the greatest band of all time.

I'd like to preface this by stating that I'm 29 years old, so I never got to experience The Beatles music when it was first released. My dad and uncle are gigantic Beatles fans, so I've grown up with The Beatles my whole life.

The Beatles essentially started out as a pop band, but the progression that the band made musically over their career is nothing short of amazing to me. They encompassed many different genres of music and were a very experimental group. I'm still blown away by how creative that group was. With songs like "The Long and Winding Road", "Eleanor Rigby", "Yesterday" and "A Day in the Life", I'm still in awe of these songs after listening to them a thousand times over. And the songwriting of these guys was brilliant! I still get goosebumps every time I hear the song "In my Life".

And then there's the whole social aspect of the group's impact and the following British Invasion, but I'm too young to speak on that directly.

I'd also like to add that a small, but important, part of The Beatles success was the direction and musical addition of George Martin. He produced practically all of The Beatles albums and had a direct influence on the group and how their music progressed over the years.

Again, to each their own. And I love Led Zeppelin BTW
I agree with Smoker on all accounts, I was around the beatles all my life, my stepdad was the biggest fan I ever met. I didn't get to fully appreciate them until I was in my late 20's I had heard their big hits, but never REALLY listened to them then I started out slowly and discovered just how brilliant these 4 guys were, as someone and a lot of people have already said they were doing stuff that no one else had done. They re-invented the wheel when it comes to music, all of their stuff was so original and groundbreaking.

As smoker mentioned George Martin gave them an AMAZING sound, throw on Revolver put your headphones on and just listen to dynamic sound seeping in your ears, then put in an Eagles, Cars or Fleetwood Mac (just throwing a few randoms) the production cannot be touched. Same with Jimi Hendrix, NO ONE sounds like them the way they were produced.

But away from the production they were just brilliant musicians. I have always felt like they were 4 aliens who came to Earth made amazing sounds then left us too briefly.....but that's just my
Old 12-04-2011, 08:32 PM   #15
maninblack
Will smoke for food

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold

The Stones were the best British band in my opinion. But they've overstayed their welcome.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:33 PM   #16
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by maninblack View Post
The Stones were the best British band in my opinion. But they've overstayed their welcome.
Much like my ex-wife.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:21 AM   #17
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by maninblack View Post
I prefer Queen myself.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:37 AM   #18
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

I'll toss my hat into the "not a Beatles fan" group. I mean a few of their songs are good but I don't get it.

Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones

I don't think there is a single moment of any day I wouldn't want to hear the Stones or Floyd.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:25 AM   #19
BC-Axeman

I'm not a Stones fan either. The Beatles came up with better stuff in their heroin addicted, acid crazed period than the Stones anyway. During their kid-pop days the Stones were more edgy. I'm not a fan of the total separation mixing that the Beatles used in their production unless it is for special effect. They never thought of putting the drum kit at the bottom of a stairwell and the mic at the top (Levee Breaks). Pink Floyd and Zep also explored many genres of music and were very creative songwriters, though Floyd was sometimes pretty far out there, Animals will always be one of my favorites. I was a complete Beatles nut when I was a kid and can still sing along with almost every song that I hear so maybe I should re-explore my album collection. Antique music now.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:48 AM   #20
madwilliamflint
Cigar n00b

First Name: Michael
Trading: (0)
madwilliamflint is on a distinguished road

Bunch of overrated guttersnipes.

Did their time, practiced their ass off, were really tight and were one of the stepping stones on the path to the discovery of rock and roll. So they have their place.

But good lord does their music make my ears hurt.
madwilliamflint is offline   Reply With Quote