Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 10-06-2009, 08:23 AM   #41
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Farve vs. Packers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resipsa View Post
Some light reading for all of those drinking the Favre Kool Aide.....
EHhh, the article itself is kind of a mirror image of the hype it is placing at Brett's feet.
He is making GB fans and Brett Favre out to be statistics jimmiers. In fact
the truth is that the NFL keeps it's stats that way and the same is true for Dan Marino
and Ken Stabler and Joe Montana. Unless he wanted Brett to go out and make the field goal, too. There is no manipulation going on there. That's just the way it is. Nor are you saying that there is some kind of trickery afoot. But this is just like the article my mother mailed to me, yes, in an envelope, about how dangerous cigars were and how kids thought they were being cool but they were risking their lives and how Ahnold is a bahd mahn.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:29 AM   #42
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

I think it's neato how AP had a hair over 50 yards rushing and Brettski had
about a million passing. Or rather, the Vikes managed to win without a huge
rushing number. It kind of allowed Brett to WIN the game without people saying
that AP won it for him. If he ever needed to prove he could win a
game passing, it was last night. I didn't see the game, too cheap to have
cable, but after hearing the rushing number I thought either he won it or
his defense did.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:25 AM   #43
King James
Regard Me!

First Name: Jim
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
King James has disabled reputation

I also thought AP would do all the work and Brett would maybe get one TD pass in the game. Packers have done well the past few years containing Peterson
Old 10-06-2009, 11:22 AM   #44
JohnnyFlake
Just an old Wiseguy!

First Name: John
Trading: (18)
HUpmann Army
JohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura about

Which other quarterback did you see this past weekend running down the field throwing blocks???

Like I said earlier in this thread:

"Favre is one of the greatest quarterbacks to ever play the game. Yes, he is a bit older than the other quarterbacks out there at this time, but few others are as skilled and even fewer have a true love of the game. His talent and especially his love of the game make him a winner!"

GB made a huge mistake on how they handled Brett Favre, but they don't have the Balls to admit it, so they have done everything they could to make him the bad guy!

BTW, I think Rogers played extremely well last night. In time, he will be one of the greats. His problem right now, is that he thinks he already is!!!
Old 10-06-2009, 11:35 AM   #45
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by King James View Post
Packers have done well the past few years containing Peterson
Huh? In one of the games last year, he had almost 200 yards against them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 01:17 PM   #46
King James
Regard Me!

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreth View Post
Huh? In one of the games last year, he had almost 200 yards against them.
Posted via Mobile Device
I more meant keeping him out of the end zone...although they have held him to 50 yds in 2 of the 5 games they have played (including scoring no touchdowns on the Pack in 2007)

He has never had a multi-touchdown game against GB, and holding that good of a RB who is in the division to less than 1 TD a game is pretty good I think

I'm sure his day to open up on the Pack will come, though. Probably more sooner than later
Old 10-31-2009, 10:08 PM   #47
gvarsity
still crazy

Trading: (15)
gvarsity will become famous soon enough

I'm so stoked for this game tomorrow. I'm a life long Vikings fan living in Wi so life the season has been interesting to say the least. I 100% behind the Vikings but I am hoping for a good game. Not to say I wouldn't take a Vikings blowout victory but I would prefer a good game and Vikings victory.

I initially was not for the Favre experiment but I have to admit he has played well for the Vikings. IMHO Brett had 3-4 incredible years under Holmgren and the rest of his career was really really inconsistent. A significant number of his heroics over the years were digging the Pack out of holes he dug. That said he has played very intelligently and under control this season. My one experience at Lambeau convinced me that Packers fans are generally pretty classy and although I expect some boos I don't expect a lot of real venom.

The wost thing the Packers fans and organization can do is to alienate Favre over his tenure with the Vikings. He almost single handedly made Green Bay relevant again after decades of futility. In a couple of years all will be forgiven and they will retire his number and he will be the star of many a fundraiser etc... as it should be. Just like Montana with the Niners and many other hall of famers who finished their careers on other teams. The last thing you want is protracted animosity with the historical face of your franchise. It has happened a few times and it is ugly and sad.
gvarsity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 02:31 PM   #48
Kreth
Ronin smoker

Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Terrible call on the first drive. Good thing I'm no longer a Vikings fan or I'd be pissed. I say terrible because Minnesota's challenge was rejected. Peterson lost a fumble under almost identical circumstances a few weeks ago, so which is it, ref?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-01-2009, 02:33 PM   #49
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Terrible call on the first drive. Good thing I'm no longer a Vikings fan or I'd be pissed. I say terrible because Minnesota's challenge was rejected. Peterson lost a fumble under almost identical circumstances a few weeks ago, so which is it, ref?
Posted via Mobile Device
Was he the same ref as the other time?

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 02:38 PM   #50
Kreth
Ronin smoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Was he the same ref as the other time?
They all look the same to me...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-01-2009, 03:05 PM   #51
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
They all look the same to me...
Posted via Mobile Device
Word.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 03:15 PM   #52
marge796
It Just Doesn’t Matter!!!

First Name: Chris
Trading: (28)
Cuaba Navy (Served With Honor)
marge796 will become famous soon enough

I thought it was crap how Farve was booed when he took the field.
Old 11-01-2009, 03:40 PM   #53
JohnnyFlake
Just an old Wiseguy!

First Name: John
Trading: (18)
HUpmann Army
JohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura about

I love Favre and even though the Vikings are winning, I cannot stand the plays the coach is calling. What an Asshole!!!
Old 11-01-2009, 03:55 PM   #54
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

A$$ Whooping!!!!
Old 11-01-2009, 05:52 PM   #55
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

First Name: Warren
BlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the rough

The Vikings were strong, and deserved to win today even though their 3rd quarter was pretty weak. However, I continue to be impressed with Aaron Rodgers, and think he has the ability to be a great quarterback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvarsity View Post
I initially was not for the Favre experiment but I have to admit he has played well for the Vikings.
I agree. At first I was against bringing Farve onto the team, and was sure he'd cause a lot of dissention among the team members and coaches. However it seems to have gone well, and he's certainly raised the team's competitiveness to a level I haven't seen in years.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:01 PM   #56
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Turned out to be a good game!!
Old 11-01-2009, 07:24 PM   #57
King James
Regard Me!

Bolivar

I thought it was really classless of the Packer fans that booed. You could tell it hurt Favre to hear that from the fans, the same fans that cheered him for 16 years. When they panned to the crowd there was a lot of support for Brett too, but the booing was just crazy to me.

That being said, I couldn't be happier that Brett stuck it to Mccarthy and Thompson twice this year. 7 TDs, 0 Interceptions, and not a single sack..... I wonder if Thompson is second guessing himself after tonight.

And I think it is even worse of the CEO to act all innocent. I guess he wasn't at the game because he couldn't "bare to see Favre in a different colored Jersey"..... well I think he has the power to fire Thompson, so he could have made his feelings about keeping Brett around known
Old 11-01-2009, 09:04 PM   #58
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFlake View Post
BTW, I think Rogers played extremely well last night. In time, he will be one of the greats. His problem right now, is that he thinks he already is!!!
Where has Rodgers ever made you think that? Of all the people involved in the whole Favre debacle when he un-retired and went to the Jets - up to the interviews with him for this game - Rodgers has been very gracious and tight-lipped (not bashing Brett in any way). He has also been very good to take his lumps and criticisms with good grace and honesty.

I won't bash Favre. I think both sides were handled the whole situation wrongly.

However, if Brett were on the Green Bay side of the ball tonight, I'm not sure he'd be standing. I also think that the dark side that is Brett Favre would have reared the ugly interception head.

It was a fun game to be at.

The Packers lost - Bret didn't beat them. You can blame part of that on coaching and play-calling. If you watched the game, you know what I mean.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:17 PM   #59
King James
Regard Me!

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post

The Packers lost - Bret didn't beat them. You can blame part of that on coaching and play-calling. If you watched the game, you know what I mean.
Although the Packers did miss some opportunities, I think one could argue that Brett beat them (or at least was the main reason for beating the Pack) I mean he did throw 4 TDs and didn't turn the ball over at all (I don't blame him for the botched snap)
Old 11-01-2009, 09:20 PM   #60
Kreth
Ronin smoker

Well, GB did get hurt by a couple of key penalties, but they also got a huge break on their first drive when Minnesota's challenge on the fumble was rejected. And not that it would've changed the outcome, but when Berrian scored the last TD, it should have been a 15 yd facemask penalty. The DB grabbed both sides of his facemask to tackle him.
Much as I hate the Pack, I have to agree with the Rev that Rodgers has been very professional through the whole Favre mess. And if he had an O-line, it would've been a different game.
Posted via Mobile Device