Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 09:02 AM   #1
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (73)
Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: iPhone Sucks and Apple are Bastards

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydsid View Post
Actually the HD2 will get WinMo7. Whether your carrier will do it is another thing. But HTC will be doing an upgrade. And as far as WinMo7 is concerned I have used it and it seems very bloated. Maybe once the custom roms come out it will be better. As for 6.5 put SPB Mobile Shell on it and it is awesome. That said if you are not comfortable putting custom roms or overlay programs on your phone, any WinMo phone is probably not a good idea. What makes them the best IMO is the huge amount of customization available from the community of users.
I stand corrected, but agree with you on the carrier holding updates back.

I ran SPB Mobile Shell, Manilla 2D, Titanium, Sense UI, you name it. Still doesn't change the fact that underneath that sweet looking UI is laggy, buggy Windows Mobile. I've flashed custom ROMs, lite ROMs, leaked ROMs, hacked ROMs and landed on one I really liked until I realized that the build the chef baked off of was "time-bombed" to quit on May 1 2010. Finally I gave up.

My Eris should be here today. It will be weird not installing those handful of programs Ive been using for 2 years. I just have to hold out until the Incredible specs are confirmed then I will decide between that and the N1.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:06 AM   #2
aich75013
Feeling at Home

First Name: Adrian
Trading: (25)
Montecristo
aich75013 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydsid View Post
Actually the HD2 will get WinMo7. Whether your carrier will do it is another thing. But HTC will be doing an upgrade. And as far as WinMo7 is concerned I have used it and it seems very bloated. Maybe once the custom roms come out it will be better. As for 6.5 put SPB Mobile Shell on it and it is awesome. That said if you are not comfortable putting custom roms or overlay programs on your phone, any WinMo phone is probably not a good idea. What makes them the best IMO is the huge amount of customization available from the community of users.
I agree.
I had a WinMo phone before the iPhone. It was slow and sluggish to the point it pissed me off. That's when I switched to the iPhone. I was much happier.
I wasn't willing to put a custom ROM on it, but from what I heard that was the answer to it being so slow.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:20 AM   #3
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by aich75013 View Post
I agree.
I had a WinMo phone before the iPhone. It was slow and sluggish to the point it pissed me off. That's when I switched to the iPhone. I was much happier.
I wasn't willing to put a custom ROM on it, but from what I heard that was the answer to it being so slow.
I used winmo for as long as I could stand it. I know everyone likes to compare winmo to iphone, but they aren't anything remotely alike. I can only imagine how windows 7 on a phone will suck, but I'll reserve my opinion until I actually put win7 in my hands.
I've considered jailbreaking my iphone, but I have yet to find a reason to do it. My iphone is more of a toy than a tool to me. I don't rely on it for business, I use my desktop for that, and just use my iphone to augment my desktop in a pinch.
I am definately looking forward to playing with the droid just so I can see what it does in case I can make use of it. So far I have never found a smartphone that does anything well. At least anything I need.
I take that back. I have found a bunch that hang when multitasking, slog through any decent amount of data, and make me want to pull my hair out.
It's been almost a year since I've previewed any smartphones, I'd like to find something new to b!tch about.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:06 AM   #4
Wanger

I don't have an iPhone, but am looking at getting one when my contract with T-Mobile is up (HATE them). My wife has had her iPhone for over a year, and had no problems at all. In the past, she's had issues with other phones she's had. At one point, she went through 3 Motorola phones (while I had only one, of the same model she had, within that same time frame). She had issues with a Nokia that she got (while I again had no issues with the same model).

The point is that it may be more related to the person than the phone itself. How you handle it and store it, etc. I'm not saying that you didn't take care of it, but just the minute differences in how you use and interact with the device may be the root cause of all the issues. Or you've just had bad luck. Who knows?

We have an iMac and a Macbook, and I really am a fan of the software and the usability, and how the different software pieces interact. I wanted to try to hackintosh my netbook, but couldn't get it done (I'm a semi-tard, when it somes to things like that), and found out I'd have to replace the internal modem (or whatever it's called now) in the netbook if I hacked it. That being said, if I had the choice between a Mac and a Windows system, I'd choose the Mac.

All i can say is good luck with whatever you choose. I know you'll hear from people who love it and people who hate it, too.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:18 AM   #5
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation

I'd be careful about the Nexus. Read somewhere about the screen cracking very easily. Try to pick up an Android.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:24 AM   #6
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Not that I ever read the fine print on a contract, but I assume you signed the contract or read the warranty info before you purchased the device(s). I imagine what they are responsible for and will cover is spelled out there. I imagine they held up their end of that piece of paper.
That being said, I like Motorola phones, usually, although I do not currently have one, and have gotten a crappy one here and there. Life goes on.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:25 AM   #7
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

Moses I would check and see how Tmo does in your area for service. They have never given me problems but I don't live in the city.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:49 AM   #8
aich75013
Feeling at Home

First Name: Adrian
Trading: (25)
Montecristo
aich75013 will become famous soon enough

I've actually had good luck with the Apple people.
I am on my third iPhone as well. I've also had 2 screens replaced (one for no reason.)

1. Screen replaced because home button wouldn't work half the time.
2. Phone replaced because the back was cracking. I always kept it in a hard case. Apparently they have had some issues here.
3. One month out of warranty, I had problems with my phone automatically going into headphone mode. They replaced the screen. (Even though I tried to tell them that wouldn't fix it. No charge.
4. One month out of warranty, phone replaced because phone would still go into headphone mode. No charge.

Basically, I knew it was out of warranty and was ready to purchase a new phone if needed. The girl at the Apple store was very nice, and joked with me about me being cut off due to my warranty being expired. She still replaced it for free.
I was prepared to have to buy a new phone because any carrier would have the same policy if there was no warranty. Buy a new phone or sign a new contract for a discount on a new phone. Been there, done that.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:45 AM   #9
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I should have mentioned, Moses, even though Apple doesn't provide an accidental breakage warranty, Square Trade does. It's pricey and doesn't really cover the whole investment, but it's something. It cost me $105.00 (iirc) for my 32gb 3Gs, I had a $50.00 deductible, and it paid me $450.00 when I dropped my phone in the ocean.
So i only lost about 200 bucks for my stupidity. It was way better than what I was faced with.
Someone told me Apple will do an "out of warranty exchange" on phones for a hundred bucks. I don't know if there's any truth to that, and I didn't look into it. If I ever have trouble in the future, I will.
At ebay, there's lots of guys that do that same $100ish exchange. A person sends their broken (intact) phone and pays around a hundred bucks for a replacement. I did check that out and those seller's feedback wasn't bad.
Iphones are definately a money pit, no doubt. It doesn't phase me, I'd still have to spend the money somewhere else for phones and service I don't enjoy remotely as much.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:23 AM   #10
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

sorry to threadjack but Newegg.com is having a sale on all otterbox cell phone casings.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:33 AM   #11
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen910 View Post
sorry to threadjack but Newegg.com is having a sale on all otterbox cell phone casings.
I checked the Defender for iphone, Bao. It's 29.99. The same price my last four were. Maybe the other models may be cheaper, but it appears a typical "jack the price up and then take it off to create an imaginary bargain".
Mine came from ebay and amazon.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:50 AM   #12
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (73)
Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
I checked the Defender for iphone, Bao. It's 29.99. The same price my last four were. Maybe the other models may be cheaper, but it appears a typical "jack the price up and then take it off to create an imaginary bargain".
Mine came from ebay and amazon.
The one for the Eris is only $10 though! Thanks Bao!
Old 04-08-2010, 09:33 AM   #13
cricky101
Micro brew tester

First Name: Chris
Trading: (8)
RA
cricky101 will become famous soon enough

I've tried the Droid and had a Blackberry for a while but they don't compare to what I can do with my iPhone 3gs (it's the only Apple product I've ever tried). It would be tough for me to go back to using another smart phone at this point.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:34 AM   #14
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricky101 View Post
I've tried the Droid and had a Blackberry for a while but they don't compare to what I can do with my iPhone 3gs (it's the only Apple product I've ever tried). It would be tough for me to go back to using another smart phone at this point.
I'd love to hear what you can do on your iPhone that cannot be done on a Droid/BB that would make you so loyal?
Old 04-08-2010, 10:48 AM   #15
King James
Regard Me!

First Name: Jim
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
King James has disabled reputation

Quote:
I'd love to hear what you can do on your iPhone that cannot be done on a Droid/BB that would make you so loyal?
I have a droid, but there are things that the iPhone does that my droid can't.

It has a far superior app store for one. Also, since I use itunes and mobileme and have 2 Macs, the seamless syncing between the devices would be much smoother, some things (like access to my iDisk) I can't do at all on my Droid.

Something I like that my droid does that an iphone couldn't would be complete a call or have 3G since ATT blows
Old 04-08-2010, 10:53 AM   #16
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

Quote:
Originally Posted by King James View Post
I have a droid, but there are things that the iPhone does that my droid can't.

It has a far superior app store for one. Also, since I use itunes and mobileme and have 2 Macs, the seamless syncing between the devices would be much smoother, some things (like access to my iDisk) I can't do at all on my Droid.

Something I like that my droid does that an iphone couldn't would be complete a call or have 3G since ATT blows
I think the market app store for android is very good. I can find every app I need and usually free.

I guess if you're a mac user the itunes would matter..but I just pop my 16 gig card out of my G-1 and into my PC and easily transfer files.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:02 AM   #17
King James
Regard Me!

First Name: Jim
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
King James has disabled reputation

Quote:
I think the market app store for android is very good. I can find every app I need and usually free.

I guess if you're a mac user the itunes would matter..but I just pop my 16 gig card out of my G-1 and into my PC and easily transfer files.
Which is why an iPhone for you may not be the right answer

But come on, I'm not saying the Android market is crap, but there is no way you can honestly say its on par with apple. Not only in its number of apps, but how you can search, update, etc
Old 04-08-2010, 11:28 AM   #18
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricky101 View Post

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:08 AM   #19
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

I'm an old school Palm fan, but I think Droid will end up being the big winner in the smartphone space. WinMo flat out sucks, iPhone forces you to accept too much proprietary bs, RIM/Blackberry has their annual server outages... Palm's WebOS was a nice effort, but I think it was too little, too late. I read an uncomfirmed report on Engadget Mobile (IIRC) that they are now looking at Droid as well.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-08-2010, 10:21 AM   #20
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

Well if Palm gets bought out soon maybe their webOS will get a nice face lift.