Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 03-27-2010, 05:35 PM   #41
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation
Default Re: Nica Libre

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinb913 View Post
These caught my attention in a cigars intl magazine. Now I just need to get money to spend in ******.. XD.
Why not get involved in the NST?
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=14254
It's a great way for people to get involved and try new sticks. The only $$$ you'll need is for postage.
Old 03-27-2010, 05:39 PM   #42
colinb913
Workin' at a Cigar Shop

First Name: Colin
Trading: (1)
Partagas
colinb913 is on a distinguished road

Man, pnoon, you are all over me today. You are my hero! Haha
colinb913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 05:40 PM   #43
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinb913 View Post
Man, pnoon, you are all over me today. You are my hero! Haha
Just trying to guide you in the right direction, Grasshopper.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:03 AM   #44
kenstogie
following the whiterabbit

Trading: (3)
Army (Active)
kenstogie will become famous soon enough

I bought them based on the blender not that they are supposedly like Padrons. I think that's just some BS marketing. Haven't had one yet as they need a weeks rest in the humi to stblize the RH. If I like them I'll smoke them if I don't I will let them rest. Not sure what the NST trade is as my B/B won't go there but if you can have a Fog set you up with some tried and true good stix it's a great idea.
Posted via Mobile Device
kenstogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 10:16 AM   #45
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenstogie View Post
I bought them based on the blender not that they are supposedly like Padrons. I think that's just some BS marketing. Haven't had one yet as they need a weeks rest in the humi to stblize the RH. If I like them I'll smoke them if I don't I will let them rest. Not sure what the NST trade is as my B/B won't go there but if you can have a Fog set you up with some tried and true good stix it's a great idea.
Posted via Mobile Device
I figure I will let the other four rest for a while before I go back to them.
Old 03-28-2010, 12:21 PM   #46
pitbulljimmy

I smoked through 5 of the Nica Libra Torps. I thought they were crap.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:21 PM   #47
Made in Dade
The Freedom Tower

Trading: (0)
Made in Dade is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post
Got my two sampler packs earlier this week and lit up the Exclusivo version with my dad last night.

I figured I would post here and save another thread.

Folks, I SWEAR I went into this with an open mind.
I SWEAR my dad did also.

I got two 5 five packs for $19.99 plus $5.00 shipping.
At $2 a cigar, was it a great deal? Heck yeah. No doubt about it.

Upon looking at the stick, it is very, very similar to a Padron Anniversary.
It has a dark, oily wrapper very similar to that of a Maduro Anniversary.
It has a band that is so, so similar to that of a Padron Anniversary.
It is box pressed just like a Padron Anniversary.

That my friends is where the similarities end. Before lighting this cigar, I inspected all five. Something I got from my dad. I took each cigar and felt for firmness/construction. Two of them have voids in the middle of the cigar that will clearly present burn issues. Shame that one of the is the large Diplomatico version. The five I gave my dad had no voids at all in the cigar. They were all fine.

Upon initial light, nothing like an Anniversary. It left a bitter after taste that both my dad and I picked up immediately.
After a few drags, the after taste was not only still evident but I could sense the taste by the smell of the tobacco also.
It was quite peppery, more so than a Padron Anniversary. The Padron starts out peppery but after a few drags, quickly tones down. This pup didn't.

Burn wise, this was a very good cigar. Burned quite similar to that of an Anniversary. It stayed lit the entire time.

While the flavors did evolve ever so slightly as I went along, it frankly wasn't very much. It pretty much gave me two thirds of the way in the very same I got from the start. About two thirds of the way through it, I developed an unusual throat itch and cough and put the cigar out.

Both dad and I agree that at $2 a stick, one can't help but shut up, light it up and smoke away. Not much you can get that is made in the manner that cigar is for that price. You can clearly see it is a quality cigar. HOWEVER, to say this is a good replacement for a Padron Anniversary is purely one's opinion that neither I nor my dad can agree with. This is not an Anniversary nor is it remotely close. While you do get a bit of resemblance from the cigar to an Anniversary, that resemblance is certainly far from the real thing and comes purely from the box press, the label and the shade of the wrapper. The flavor similarity, while I must confess there is a twang of resemblance, frankly, it is quite minimal.

Bottom line for me, while this cigar can save me a considerable amount of money as compared to a Padron Anniversary, so can a Toyota Yaris in lieu of my BMW convertible. I rather have the ultimate driving machine for those moments I consider special, which is every time I light a cigar, which is a moment I always try to smoke the one I would enjoy the most, then move down the line. Unfortunately for me, that means I can never, ever have a single Padron Anniversary in my humidor. At this moment, that holds true.

Do I regret buying them? I never regret trying any new cigar, specially at the price I got them.
Would I buy them again? Jury is still out. I will reserve that decision for after I have had a chance to smoke the remaining four, which I promise I will. Dad feels the same.

Respectfully submitted by a Padron Anni whore and his yet greater Padron Anni whore dad.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:23 PM   #48
kenstogie

Army (Active)

I have just decided. The Nica Libre will be tonights cigar, computer in hand at least a pencil anyway and will see if they suck or not. If they do I'll let em rest for 6 months and revisit.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:14 PM   #49
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
I have just decided. The Nica Libre will be tonights cigar, computer in hand at least a pencil anyway and will see if they suck or not. If they do I'll let em rest for 6 months and revisit.
Give Us Your Review, Please, Ken! Thanks, Brother!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 02:16 PM   #50
dannysguitar
Feeling at Home

First Name: Danny
Trading: (36)
Montecristo
dannysguitar will become famous soon enough

I smoked 1 yesterday in the afternoon with some bourbon and diet coke and I really liked it. I'm considering a box purchase :-)
Old 03-29-2010, 02:18 PM   #51
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannysguitar View Post
I smoked 1 yesterday in the afternoon with some bourbon and diet coke and I really liked it. I'm considering a box purchase :-)
Guess "The Jury Is Still Out"!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 02:30 PM   #52
ripper
Busy doing nothing

First Name: Bart
Trading: (12)
Cohiba
ripper will become famous soon enough

Would like to think (?) I have advanced tastes -- been smoking cigars 48 years. I smoke cigars after every meal. Am a regular for Padron 4000, 5000 and 1926 Anniversary cigars.
Nica Libre is not a Padron. The Nica Libre construction is vapid, almost airy. The wrapper is ragged.
But I have been working my way through a Nice Libre sampler -- and the more I smoke, the more I like them.
Surprised me how eventful the cigar was. Especially the final third -- it's a lip-burner. Has an emphatic after-taste that may repel some, but this is a good budget smoke.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:36 PM   #53
dannysguitar
Feeling at Home

First Name: Danny
Trading: (36)
Montecristo
dannysguitar will become famous soon enough

I agree. Not a Padron, but a good value smoke in it's own right.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:48 PM   #54
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripper View Post
Has an emphatic after-taste that may repel some, but this is a good budget smoke.
Glad I am not nuts nor is my dad.
It is quite a distinct and unwelcome after taste in my opinion.
Bitter in fact.

Again, I don't think anyone should ever NOT smoke a cigar due to someone's review.
I think everyone should try for themselves as tastes vary so, so much.
Who cares what I like? Should only matter to me.

I am going to sit on the other four for a bit to see if resting them changes it a bit and will eventually smoke the remaining four. Need to call dad to see if he has tried any of his remaining four since this smoke of ours over the weekend.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:53 PM   #55
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Just spoke to dad.
He smoked the Principe version and didn't find that bitter taste he picked up on the larger Exclusivo version.
Wasn't a Padron but did enjoy the smoke.

So...........for now, will write it off as maybe we got two bad sticks with the Exclusivo and the others may be better. Will give the Principe a shot tomorrow and see. If not to my liking, will go back to concept of sitting on them a while.
Old 03-29-2010, 04:52 PM   #56
68TriShield
Got Torque?

First Name: Dave
Trading: (40)
HUpmann
68TriShield has disabled reputation

Quote:
Who cares what I like? Should only matter to me.
I care what you like Carlos
68TriShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 05:19 PM   #57
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68TriShield View Post
I care what you like Carlos
Don't know what to say.
I never expected anyone to care.
I am lost for words.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:21 PM   #58
kenstogie

Army (Active)

Quote:
Originally Posted by longknocker View Post
Give Us Your Review, Please, Ken! Thanks, Brother!
Well after putting the little one to bed wasn't sure I'd have the time but forged ahead and plucked the smallest one, a robusto size I guess. I didn't have high expectations based on other reviews here but I've heard that AJ Fernandez was the blender (Man O' War, Diesel etc) so you never know so the stick could be anything.

PRELIGHT- Smell was nothing spectacular and it was a little spongy but often when I get cigars from CI they seem a little wet so whatever. Look of the construction seemed good to very good with and very EZ draw.

LIGHT- Light had a hint of spice/nut and was intrigued on first taste as was pretty much the first 5 mins. Had a lot of very creamy smoke and realized there was some depth to this cigar.

THE REST- the rest of the cigar went from creamy richness choco/coffee/nut with just a hint of spice and rotated those flavors at random.

CONCLUSION - I thoroughly enjoyed and in fact LOVED this cigar and for me compared with many $8-10 cigars. It never got hot until the very end. The only down side was that I did notice the back of the throat thing but lasted for just a moment or two so not to big of a minus at all. For me it gets a solid A and when you factor in the $2 price tag maybe a little higher. If all the cigars in the pack are like this one it's a BIG win, highly recommend.

Old 03-30-2010, 06:03 AM   #59
OHRD
Garage w/ couch & ashtray

First Name: Matt
Trading: (39)
OHRD will become famous soon enoughOHRD will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Just spoke to dad.
He smoked the Principe version and didn't find that bitter taste he picked up on the larger Exclusivo version.
Wasn't a Padron but did enjoy the smoke.

So...........for now, will write it off as maybe we got two bad sticks with the Exclusivo and the others may be better. Will give the Principe a shot tomorrow and see. If not to my liking, will go back to concept of sitting on them a while.
The Principe is what I had and was blown away, considering the price - maybe this is their standout size.

Still no info on the cigar though, some have said its an AJ Fernandez...anyone?
Old 03-30-2010, 06:04 AM   #60
OHRD
Garage w/ couch & ashtray

First Name: Matt
Trading: (39)
OHRD will become famous soon enoughOHRD will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Well after putting the little one to bed wasn't sure I'd have the time but forged ahead and plucked the smallest one, a robusto size I guess. I didn't have high expectations based on other reviews here but I've heard that AJ Fernandez was the blender (Man O' War, Diesel etc) so you never know so the stick could be anything.

PRELIGHT- Smell was nothing spectacular and it was a little spongy but often when I get cigars from CI they seem a little wet so whatever. Look of the construction seemed good to very good with and very EZ draw.

LIGHT- Light had a hint of spice/nut and was intrigued on first taste as was pretty much the first 5 mins. Had a lot of very creamy smoke and realized there was some depth to this cigar.

THE REST- the rest of the cigar went from creamy richness choco/coffee/nut with just a hint of spice and rotated those flavors at random.

CONCLUSION - I thoroughly enjoyed and in fact LOVED this cigar and for me compared with many $8-10 cigars. It never got hot until the very end. The only down side was that I did notice the back of the throat thing but lasted for just a moment or two so not to big of a minus at all. For me it gets a solid A and when you factor in the $2 price tag maybe a little higher. If all the cigars in the pack are like this one it's a BIG win, highly recommend.

Great review Ken! I'm telling y'all, this is a good smoke!