Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Health and Fitness

Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 04:57 PM   #5621
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Pumping Iron with Zemekone and Icehog3

Do you do dumbbell extensions behind your head?

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 03-11-2012, 05:02 PM   #5622
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Do you do dumbbell extensions behind your head?
Yes, seated on my bench, both arms at the same time with one dumbbell with 30-35lbs. Three sets of 10-12. Then three sets of kickbacks, 10-12 reps, about 12.5-15 lbs.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:04 PM   #5623
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

That's part of the routine, along with chest and shoulders on the same day. Alternate workouts are back, biceps. Off days are my running days, usually 4-8 miles. Sunday's are rest day.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:11 PM   #5624
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Triceps tend to be one of the tougher areas to firm up when one was formerly overweight, Bob. Your body may have become accustomed to the routine and doesn't respond to it well any more. When you join a gym you will have more options with cables, barbells and benches, and one of us can suggest some additional exercises then

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 03-11-2012, 05:19 PM   #5625
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Thanks Tom. Ive only just started so I know I shouldn't see results yet. Just wanted to see if I'm at least doing the right exercise with the equipment I have. Time to start looking for a gym when I get home. I have a couple of local friends I can hook up with and give their gyms a try and see what works for me. Would you suggest using a trainer to get started?
Old 03-11-2012, 06:47 PM   #5626
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
Thanks Tom. Ive only just started so I know I shouldn't see results yet. Just wanted to see if I'm at least doing the right exercise with the equipment I have. Time to start looking for a gym when I get home. I have a couple of local friends I can hook up with and give their gyms a try and see what works for me. Would you suggest using a trainer to get started?
Trainers are quite pricey, Bob, maybe you could pay one for a couple sessions just to show you the movements? Hopefully you can be self-motivated to train, and just rely on them to get you started. If your friends are into it, they might be able to get you started (and for free!) as well.

The only dumbbell movement I really do for triceps are the extensions behind the head. Never got a thing out of kickbacks. Most of my work consists of close grip benching, skull crushers, narrow dips (and sometimes weighted bench dips), and cable work. I am sure some of the other guys here have additinal exercises they can suggest.

Old 03-11-2012, 06:54 PM   #5627
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Thanks again. I was hoping my friends could help me out as your right, trainers are expensive.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:49 PM   #5628
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

First Name: Stephen
Location: Where the Pony Express began and Jesse James ended.
Trading: (18)
Stephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekGodX View Post
Excess protein is just as easily turned into fat.
Not to mention it can put an additional strain on your kidneys. Just remember that when upping the protein, up the hydration.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:01 PM   #5629
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

First Name: Stephen
Location: Where the Pony Express began and Jesse James ended.
Trading: (18)
Stephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
The only dumbbell movement I really do for triceps are the extensions behind the head. Never got a thing out of kickbacks. Most of my work consists of close grip benching, skull crushers, narrow dips (and sometimes weighted bench dips), and cable work. I am sure some of the other guys here have additinal exercises they can suggest.
Skull crushers, weighted dips, pushdowns, close grip bench. Tom pretty much nailed it. I'd also suggest tricep push ups, or sometimes called diamond push ups.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:09 PM   #5630
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Skull crushers, weighted dips, pushdowns, close grip bench. Tom pretty much nailed it. I'd also suggest tricep push ups, or sometimes called diamond push ups.
Quite familiar with the diamond pushups. Love those. Just need to add back into the routine. Been looking up the skull crusher. Looks like fun.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:03 AM   #5631
bonjing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Trading: (39)
bonjing has disabled reputation

Question for you guys, I have been working out again (now that I have time), My friend and I always have been going higher in weight during reps, example dumbbell press 65*12, 70*10, 80*10, 85*8; now I'm just going 65lbs for all reps. slowly moving up in weight as I get stronger. What would be best to build strength and muscle? or does it even matter
Old 03-14-2012, 10:48 AM   #5632
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Different ways for different people, Greg, and after almost 35 years of lifting I am still learning what works best for me. Pick a program and only stick with it until you plateau, then change things up. To build muscle, you have to use a bit of weight, so with your current program I would pick a weight I could do for sets of 6 to 8 reps rather than something higher than 12.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:57 AM   #5633
bonjing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Trading: (39)
bonjing has disabled reputation

Thank you sir!
Old 03-21-2012, 07:03 PM   #5634
Devanmc
Have My Own Room

First Name: Devan
Trading: (40)
RyJ Army (Disabled Vet)
Devanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the rough

got a new PR today.

210lb with 1rep max dead-lift. 7 sets with ample rest period.

I got 1 in at 215 but my back gave a bit so im not counting it.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:07 PM   #5635
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjing View Post
Question for you guys, I have been working out again (now that I have time), My friend and I always have been going higher in weight during reps, example dumbbell press 65*12, 70*10, 80*10, 85*8; now I'm just going 65lbs for all reps. slowly moving up in weight as I get stronger. What would be best to build strength and muscle? or does it even matter
If you want to build muscle, concentrate on form and working the muscle. Weight is weight and you can only lift what you can, but strict form with full muscle range and contraction is critical.

For instance, most people have generally horrible form when curling because proper form knocks the total weight down a lot. Ever use the an Arm Blaster or curl with back against the wall?
Old 03-21-2012, 10:02 PM   #5636
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Off the DogCrapp workout for a few weeks, I was starting to plateau on several of the exercises and decided to add some more volume and reps for a few weeks. Reps are up at lower weights, so I am satisifed. I will go back to the DC next month, starting where I left off.

Caught a crappy summer cold in March (lol, been 80*+ here the last couple weeks), so I have skipped two workouts. Undecided if I will give it a go tomorrow, or take another day off.

Old 03-22-2012, 03:28 AM   #5637
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Off the DogCrapp workout for a few weeks, I was starting to plateau on several of the exercises and decided to add some more volume and reps for a few weeks. Reps are up at lower weights, so I am satisifed. I will go back to the DC next month, starting where I left off.

Caught a crappy summer cold in March (lol, been 80*+ here the last couple weeks), so I have skipped two workouts. Undecided if I will give it a go tomorrow, or take another day off.
Same thing happened with me on DC, Pops. Took off a few days then switched to more volume and (what I think is the key coming off of DogCrapp) lifting explosively. My muscles hated it at first because of all the grinding lifts done in DC, but now it is like my body just takes everything I eat and it goes directly to the right places. Very noticeable pumps.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:02 AM   #5638
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Do you guys get use to the effects of preworkouts? After a tub of DS Craze about 3/4 through it the effect was much less. I took 2 scoops the entire time on it.

Trying Cellucor C4, took 2 scoops 5 minutes ago and I'm already starting to feel it. Much quicker than Craze (which said 40-45 minutes), C4 says 20-30 minutes.

Would it be a good idea to buy like 3-4 different preworkouts and use them each once a week, or how do you not get use to them? I really don't want to go into taking more than 2 scoops. I've heard of people taking 3 scoops but usually they have 50+ pounds on me. It also becomes quite a bit more expensive if you take 3 or more scoops.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:32 AM   #5639
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
For instance, most people have generally horrible form when curling because proper form knocks the total weight down a lot....

THIS! I drives me nuts to see the guy banging out 75s on bicep curls but his entire body is moving back and forth by 1ft. This and your back coming off the bench for bench press.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:35 AM   #5640
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

While I am typing. I figure I could ask you folks about a few new exercises for chest. I quit the gym to work out at home and I have a pretty solid collection of dumbells going. Bis and Tris are coming a along nicely. What can I thrown in to advance chest development?

Current chest exercises
Lots of pushups - Millitary, standard, wide, decline
Chest press - incline and flat. Bench will not do decline
Flys on the bench

I have been doing pull-ups too. Is there any chest development in that? Seems like mostly shoulders, Bis, back.
Closed Thread