Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 07-29-2009, 03:30 PM   #521
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of
Default Re: *2009 MLB Thread*

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoot View Post
Now if Amaro will toss Happ, Drabek, and Brown to the Jays for Doc we can go ahead and win back-to-back titles.
Yeah - if they toss in Rollins and Howard as extras maybe.
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 03:41 PM   #522
yourchoice
Down the stretch

First Name: Joel
Trading: (36)
Cohiba
yourchoice has disabled reputation

Quote:
Now if Amaro will toss Happ, Drabek, and Brown to the Jays for Doc we can go ahead and win back-to-back titles.
0.05% chance of that, but I think they have a very good chance (3/1 ~ 4/1) with just this move.

Don't forget they finally got a right-handed bat off the bench along with Lee too! Ben Francisco
yourchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 04:23 PM   #523
Darrell

We are the Wild Card, just took the Pirates at the bottom of the 10th.

Tomorrow starts the series against Philly, it's going to be insane. I'll be at the game Sunday.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:24 PM   #524
scoot
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Pat
Trading: (0)
scoot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourchoice View Post
0.05% chance of that, but I think they have a very good chance (3/1 ~ 4/1) with just this move.

Don't forget they finally got a right-handed bat off the bench along with Lee too! Ben Francisco
Yeah I know, but I think it would be better than keeping Happ and Drabek. Happ is good, but its unlikely that he'll develop into a number one guy, teams are going to start hitting him one they see more of him. Drabek is a prospect and as such is largely unproven, plus he's only 21 and has already had Tommy John surgery. I'd gladly give them both away for Halladay in the rotation for the remainder of this year and next season. It would make the likelihood of a world championship that much higher. Plus he'd be more than likely to resign if he gets a ring while he's here.

But, the big downside to Halladay is his 15M+ contract for next year which Amaro will almost definitely not take on after getting Lee and with other financial issues, such as Blanton, to handle. I'd still love to see it happen though.
scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 04:32 PM   #525
scoot
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Pat
scoot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
Yeah - if they toss in Rollins and Howard as extras maybe.
No, they would most likely accept as it was the Jays original offer.
scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 05:02 PM   #526
yourchoice
Down the stretch

Cohiba

Quote:
Yeah I know, but I think it would be better than keeping Happ and Drabek. Happ is good, but its unlikely that he'll develop into a number one guy, teams are going to start hitting him one they see more of him. Drabek is a prospect and as such is largely unproven, plus he's only 21 and has already had Tommy John surgery. I'd gladly give them both away for Halladay in the rotation for the remainder of this year and next season. It would make the likelihood of a world championship that much higher. Plus he'd be more than likely to resign if he gets a ring while he's here.

But, the big downside to Halladay is his 15M+ contract for next year which Amaro will almost definitely not take on after getting Lee and with other financial issues, such as Blanton, to handle. I'd still love to see it happen though.
For the most part, I agree. Happ is a major league pitcher, but probably realistically will develop into a solid 3. Drabek is supposedly a stud (top of the rotation guy) but actually, I think he's had two surgeries (one in HS). The guy you left out that the Jays wanted, Brown, is supposedly a super prospect too. From what I heard he's one of three outfielders presently in A ball who is projected to be a MLB All-Star (a guy in the Braves system and a guy in the Marlins system are the other two). It would have been an awful lot for Doc, but I still would have loved to got him. If last year's AL Cy Young winner was the back-up plan, I'm not complaining.

It's crazy to think this is the same ownership that was in place in the late '90s.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:25 AM   #527
Darrell

So we traded Tim Alderson for Freddy Sanchez.

I am not 100% behind this trade.

I have concerns about Sanchez and his knee problems, though he bats .300 for his career. We can def use some hitters.

Alderson was a good prospect pitcher, but we have enough pitchers.

My biggest concern again, is Sanchez's knee problems.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:37 AM   #528
yourchoice
Down the stretch

Cohiba

There's a report that Manny and Ortiz were both on the list of those who tested positive in 2003.

Link.

Let's see what spin Faux-Sox Nation has! The only thing I'd rather hear less than that is what the Weasel Empire has to add!
Old 07-30-2009, 11:38 AM   #529
Darrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourchoice View Post
There's a report that Manny and Ortiz were both on the list of those who tested positive in 2003.

Link.

Let's see what spin Faux-Sox Nation has! The only thing I'd rather not hear is what the Weasel Empire has to add!
Good!

Now they need to be barred from the HOF.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:40 AM   #530
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell View Post
So we traded Tim Alderson for Freddy Sanchez.

I am not 100% behind this trade.

I have concerns about Sanchez and his knee problems, though he bats .300 for his career. We can def use some hitters.

Alderson was a good prospect pitcher, but we have enough pitchers.

My biggest concern again, is Sanchez's knee problems.
But Sanchez is a gamer, excellent hitter and he plugs the hole at second for the Giants...they have PLENTY of pitching already. I think this trade makes you guys stronger.
kelmac07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 11:46 AM   #531
PeteSB75
Have My Own Room

First Name: Pete
Trading: (18)
Montecristo
PeteSB75 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Good!

Now they need to be barred from the HOF.
Now we need to bar everyone who played before 2004. Because they were ALL using them.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:51 AM   #532
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

The Yankees are looking to pick up Corey Patterson off wavers since Gardner is out with a broken hand for a while.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:57 AM   #533
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

First Name: Joe
Vegueros
VirtualSmitty has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicCook View Post
The Yankees are looking to pick up Corey Patterson off wavers since Gardner is out with a broken hand for a while.
Bah, he sucks. Not even the freakin' Nats wanted him
Old 07-30-2009, 11:58 AM   #534
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualSmitty View Post
Bah, he sucks. Not even the freakin' Nats wanted him
Off of waivers he is pretty much free to the Yankees and they could use another bench player while Gardner is out. It would be a no lose pick up.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:02 PM   #535
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

Vegueros

Quote:
Off of waivers he is pretty much free to the Yankees and they could use another bench player while Gardner is out. It would be a no lose pick up.
I'd rather see them bring up Austin Jackson or give Shelley Duncan another chance.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:04 PM   #536
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

LGC

Austin Jackson needs to be playing everyday though. I think he has a great shot at opening day roster in 2010 though.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:07 PM   #537
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

Vegueros

Quote:
Austin Jackson needs to be playing everyday though. I think he has a great shot at opening day roster in 2010 though.
Eh, I don't think a trip to the majors would be a bad thing for him. If they platooned him on and off with Melky he'd get enough at bats. Patterson just seems like a waste of time, Gardener is only going to be gone for two weeks.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:15 PM   #538
Darrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
But Sanchez is a gamer, excellent hitter and he plugs the hole at second for the Giants...they have PLENTY of pitching already. I think this trade makes you guys stronger.
Aren't you concerned about the knee?
Old 07-30-2009, 02:57 PM   #539
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Mike's Mets were rained out last night. Too bad. Not only were they on a roll, I heard that Omar Minaya was scheduled to throw out the ceremonial first reporter.
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 02:59 PM   #540
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

Vegueros

Quote:
Aren't you concerned about the knee?
Well worth the risk. The Giants need bats, they won't miss one pitching prospect. And Sanchez can hit, I think it was a pretty good trade.

Dodgers picked up Sherill today. Good move, he was pretty tough on hitters here in the AL East.