Trading: (0)
RyJ Army (Served With Honor)
Ken is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Official MMA Thread

Randy Couture Vs. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira - I'll take Couture
Keith Jardine Vs. Thiago Silva - Slug fest; Jardine by herky-jerky
Chris Leben Vs. Jake Rosholt - Why is this on here
Nate Marquardt Vs. Demian Maia - Margquardt by well roundedness
Brandon Vera Vs. Krzysztof Soszynski - Should be a very good fight; probably the 2nd best of the night.
UC: Gabriel Gonzaga Vs. Chris Tuchscherer - I'll take Brock's training partner.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 01:18 PM   #2
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
Randy Couture Vs. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira - I'll take Couture
Keith Jardine Vs. Thiago Silva - Slug fest; Jardine by herky-jerky
Chris Leben Vs. Jake Rosholt - Why is this on here
Nate Marquardt Vs. Demian Maia - Margquardt by well roundedness
Brandon Vera Vs. Krzysztof Soszynski - Should be a very good fight; probably the 2nd best of the night.
UC: Gabriel Gonzaga Vs. Chris Tuchscherer - I'll take Brock's training partner.
I agree except I will go with Vera and Gonzaga. Marquardt/Maia is too tough for me to call.

You describe Jardine perfectly.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:35 PM   #3
Ken
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
RyJ Army (Served With Honor)
Ken is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
I agree except I will go with Vera and Gonzaga. Marquardt/Maia is too tough for me to call.

You describe Jardine perfectly.
Soszynski has been rolling and impressive. Vera is going to be a big test for him, though I pick Sozynski because lately Vera fades when the stakes are raised. I'd really like to see both these guys move up the ranks @ 205.

I'm no fan of Maia, though that guy has amazing takedowns and throws.

And I just like watching Jardine fight. He has been on the wrong end of a couple of beatdowns but you'll never say that guy didn't come in to fight.

Quote:
I'm expecting some good fights tomorrow night in the M1 event.
ehh!
Did you see the riff with M-1 and Frye. Apparently he didn't like them changing venues 5 times. I would have liked to see that fight with Lawal.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 02:55 PM   #4
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ian
Trading: (10)
Cohiba
BengalMan will become famous soon enoughBengalMan will become famous soon enough

Dana White: WEC isn't going away, merger with UFC is unlikely
http://mmamania.com/2009/08/28/dana-...ly/#more-14815

Despite recent reports to the contrary, World Extreme Cagefighting (WEC) isn’t “going away” anytime soon.

UFC President Dana White reiterated the statement yesterday at the pre-fight press conference for UFC 102: “Couture vs. Nogueira,” saying that plans were not in place to merge the Zuffa-owned property and its roster of fighters into the UFC fold. In addition, there are plans afoot to possibly add lighter weight classes to the UFC — an area that is the primary focus of the WEC.

While the idea seems fun in the eyes of most MMA fans, there are many parts of the business side of the sport that would prevent such a thing from happening … mainly the television deals.

UFC currently has an exclusive deal with Spike TV while the WEC is partnered up with the Versus network. It would be very unlikely a deal could be struck involving both networks that wouldn’t leave one or both in a less profitable situation than they’re in now.

For that reason, among others, White says the two promotions are going to remain separate for now, according to a Sherdog.com report.

But that doesn’t mean there aren’t changes on the horizon for the WEC.

The organization has long talked about adding a flyweight division (125 pounds) to its roster, and apparently that idea will come to fruition very soon, which is good news for a promotion starving for more marketable talent.

It’s also no secret that the WEC fighters pull in far less money on average than that of a UFC fighter. While that has a lot to do with pay-per-view (PPV) revenue, it also has something to do with the marketability of the organization as a whole.

Put simply, the WEC name just doesn’t carry the same weight as the UFC.

Here’s what White had to say about that:

“Even with all the things that we know how to do and the deal that we have with Versus — which is a great deal — it’s still hard to make money and to pay the guys what they deserve to be paid, or what they think they deserve to be paid, and to run the business and make it a profitable business. There is always going to be huge discrepancy in the pay between WEC and UFC.”

For that reason, regardless of what happens right now, the merger could still continue to remain a future possibility.

If an influx of more talent or adding another division can’t inject some life into the organization, then Zuffa might potentially have to look at it like its not marketing and pulling in money off of stars like Mike Brown, Brian Bowles, Urijah Faber, Miguel Torres, Jose Also, Donald Cerrone, and others like they could be doing if those fighters were competing in the Octagon instead.

So the WEC will remain the WEC and the UFC will remain the UFC … for now.
BengalMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 11:13 AM   #5
Steelergar

There was some boring fights at the M1 event last night. Kerr looks like he needs a new job. It was fun seeing Fedor's Judo throws on Mousasi though. Also their refs are pretty bad and the ring looked crappy as well. They have alot of work cut out for them. And I can't stand the annoucers for HD net. Guy Mezger seems to belittle the fighters the whole time cause he thinks his striking is perfect. Bring back Bas Rutten.

Anybody see the UFC 102 weigh in? Maia and Nate were pushing their heads against eachother and had to be slighty separated. Its going to be a war.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:56 PM   #6
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

RG

Seems like the cards that I don't think will be good turn out to be...good. Some great fights at 102 and several surprise KO's. Nog looked really good. He had to have been hurt when he fought Mir. He had no problems with Captain America. Jardine going down so fast was a big surprise as was Maia. That one totally shocked me. Reminded me of when Arlovski got ko'd by Fedor. Seeing Leban put to sleep was nice and Vera looked great.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:41 PM   #7
kayaker

For such an unpopular card, there was a lot of great fights. Really enjoyed that one. Randy escaped a couple of close submissions and almost got TKOed. Nog looked great.

I think Nate and Dan should fight to see who really deserves the rematch with Anderson. Nate vs Rich would be a great fight too, but I don't know if Rich will come back to MW.
Old 08-30-2009, 12:15 AM   #8
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ian
Trading: (10)
Cohiba
BengalMan will become famous soon enoughBengalMan will become famous soon enough

IMO, Nog should take the winner of the Carwin and Lesnar fight. Only problem with that is they're spaced apart a good amount to where it's near the point that Nog would need to possibly sit until the fight comes along with the winner of the above fights.
BengalMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 07:09 AM   #9
goalie204
Have My Own Room

First Name: Myles
Trading: (12)
Bolivar
goalie204 will become famous soon enoughgoalie204 will become famous soon enough

decent card for one that i expected to be so boring. Main event was exciting
goalie204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 08:57 AM   #10
yachties23
The Belly of the Beast

First Name: Chris
Trading: (15)
Bolivar
yachties23 is on a distinguished road

Missed it as I was at a bachelor party last night, but shocked to hear that Nog looked that good.
yachties23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 11:36 AM   #11
ActionAndy
Dayman, Master of Karate

First Name: Andy
Trading: (7)
HdM
ActionAndy will become famous soon enough

I'm still in denial so no one mention Randy Couture to me for a while, please...
ActionAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 04:07 PM   #12
12stones
Yo Mama is so...

First Name: Ricky
Trading: (1)
RA MarineCorps (Disabled Vet)
12stones will become famous soon enough

Card turned out to be fantastic! Some great knockouts and the main event was excellent. Nog looked great and Randy was a stud! 46yo and just rocking and ready to go on. I was impressed with how this card came out. I'd really like to see a rematch between Mir and Nog with Nog being fully healthy.
12stones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 07:22 PM   #13
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

RG

COUTURE INKS NEW DEAL TO FINISH CAREER IN UFC

Five-time UFC champion Randy Couture on Saturday evening inked a new six-fight contract that will replace a three-fight deal he signed in September 2008 after a contentious 11-month absence from the promotion.

At a Thursday press conference promoting UFC 102, UFC president Dana White hinted at a contract extension, saying he wanted to keep the beloved champion in the fold until retirement, whenever that came.

At the post-fight press conference for the Pacific Northwest event, White confirmed the deal, stating, (Couture) will be with us for a lot more fights.

Couture said he would end his career in the Octagon, adding the term of the deal was for 28 months.

Coutures decision loss Saturday to Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira served as the first obligation of the contract. Couture representative Sam Spira on Saturday evening declined to discuss the terms of the deal, but confirmed its existence.

Matt Walker, Coutures agent, said the deal was a great showing of respect to an icon of the sport.

One source with knowledge of the negotiations MMAWeekly.com spoke with said the contract could be valued at the same amount the UFC allegedly offered Fedor Emelianenko following Affliction Entertainments collapse.

Couture said he would let the dust settle from this fight before deciding his next challenge, which could be another bout at heavyweight or a possible return to light heavyweight.

Whatever he wants to do, Im in, said White.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BRISTOL, Conn. -- Kenny Florian looks healthy and happy 19 days after his loss to B.J. Penn at UFC 101, and he says he's hoping to get back into the Octagon in November, with Clay Guida as his likely opponent.

I caught up with Florian here at ESPN's headquarters, where he moonlights as an MMA analyst for the Worldwide Leader, and he said he's feeling good and hoping he doesn't have to wait any longer than November to fight again. He said a fight with Guida at UFC 106 on November 21 in Las Vegas has not been finalized, but that he's optimistic it will get done.

"Clay's a tough guy," Florian said of his likely next opponent. "He'll keep coming at you."

Florian said he loved Guida's June fight with Diego Sanchez, which is regarded by many MMA fans as the best fight so far this year. Florian said he thought Sanchez was about to finish Guida in the first round, and that he admired Guida's tenacity in continuing to fight -- and fight well -- through the second and third.

"You could make a good case that Guida won the second and third rounds," Florian said. "He never quits."

http://mma.fanhouse.com/2009/08/27/k...06-in-november
Old 08-31-2009, 09:25 AM   #14
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

RG

UFC 102 Payouts

Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira: $400,000 ($250,000 to show, $150,000 to win) def. Randy Couture: $250,000

Thiago Silva: $58,000 ($29,000 to show, $29,000 to win) def. Keith Jardine: $55,000

Jake Rosholt: $26,000 ($13,000 to show, $13,000 to win) def. Chris Leben: $30,000

Nate Marquardt: $80,000 ($40,000 to show, $40,000 to win) def. Demian Maia: $28,000

Brandon Vera: $70,000 ($35,000 to show, $35,000 to win) def. Krzystzof Soszynski: $8,000

Aaron Simpson: $18,000 ($9,000 to show, $9,000 to win) def. Ed Herman: $24,000

Gabriel Gonzaga: $120,000 ($60,000 to show, $60,000 to win) def. Chris Tuchscherer: $10,000

Mike Russow: $20,000 ($10,000 to show, $10,000 to win) def. Justin McCully: $15,000

Todd Duffee: $10,000 ($5,000 to show, $5,000 to win) def. Tim Hague: ($7,000)

Mark Munoz: $24,000 ($12,000 to show, $12,000 to win) def. Nick Catone: $5,000

Evan Dunham: $14,000 ($7,000 to show, $7,000 to win) def. Marcus Aurelio: $13,000

Total disclosed payroll for UFC 102: $1,285,000

Fight of the Night Randy Couture vs. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira
Knockout of the Night Nate Marquardt
Submission of the Night - Jake Rosholt

Each fighter received $60,000 extra for their performances in addition to their respective base salaries. The highly anticipated event drew 16,088 fans for a $1.92 million gate.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2009/8/30...re-vs-nogueira
Old 08-31-2009, 09:54 AM   #15
yachties23
The Belly of the Beast

First Name: Chris
Trading: (15)
Bolivar
yachties23 is on a distinguished road

I'm glad to see Vera put together two really good fights back to back. I thought his ugly battle with Jardine was going to set him back, but hes run off two in a row and I think he can take a step up in the ranking soon. I know Hamill would have given him a much more difficult and different challenge, but a win is a win, and he looked pretty good.
yachties23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 10:28 AM   #16
BORIStheBLADE
_

First Name: Mike
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
BORIStheBLADE will become famous soon enough

That card was a little better than I thought it was. I like how Chris Leben decided to just get choked out..

I'm glad Jardine lost too.

The next fight night with Diaz as the main looks weak. I hope Guillard wins.
Huerta is usually fun to watch.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:46 AM   #17
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

RG

Quote:
Originally Posted by BORIStheBLADE View Post

I'm glad Jardine lost too.

Seems Jardine always loses to the people he is supposed to beat but really steps up when he fights the guys he is not supposed to beat. His nickname needs to be changed to "Mr. Inconsistent".

Dana White explains he has no interest in five round non-title fights

http://mmabay.co.uk/Story%2002507.html

UFC President, Dana White has revealed that he’s not about to change the landscape in the UFC by having non-title main events to be contested over five rounds, saying he prefers to reserve those kind of fights for when a title is on the line.

Speaking to MMAJunkie.com prior to UFC 102, Dana said:

“I was saying [last week] I wish this was a five-round fight, Nogueira and Couture, and there’s been other fights, too, that I've wished were five rounds. But I’m a purist, man. Title fights are five rounds. When you fight for the title, it’s five rounds.”

“You know how many times I’ve been ringside and said, ‘God, I wish this was a five-round fight’”. I did it [on Sunday]. (UFC heavyweight champion) Brock (Lesnar) and I were watching the fight together, and we both said we wish that fight with Nogueira and Couture was five rounds.”

“But, I think that’s what's so special about fighting for the title. You fight for the title, and it’s a five-round fight; you don’t, it’s a three-round fight. So if everything could be five rounds, what's the point in having title fights at five rounds? Should we do title fights as seven rounds and regular fights (at) five rounds? It just doesn't make sense to me, even though as a fan myself I’d like to see some fights go five rounds that aren’t.”

Keith Kizer, the Nevada State Athletic Commission’s executive director backed up the lack of interest from the UFC.

“The UFC has specifically told us they’re not interested, so I doubt you'll see that from them.”

Many fans have wanted to see certain fight in UFC history continue into the fourth and fifth rounds, for instance Chuck Liddell vs. Wanderlei Silva (UFC 99) & Rich Franklin vs. Wanderlei Silva (UFC 99) only to be left disappointed by the premature end to a thrilling encounter. Looks like this will continue to be the case, especially in the UFC.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:56 PM   #18
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

RG

Amir Sadollah set to take on Phil Baroni at UFC 106

Following an unsuccessful outing against Johny Hendricks at UFC 101, Amir Sadollah is set to act as a welcome home party for Phil Baroni, as the pair are set to square at UFC 106 on November 21st.

According to Inside Fights, sources close to both camps have revealed that Ultimate Fighter season 7 winner Amir Sadollah will square off against “The New York Badass” Phil Baroni at UFC 106 in Las Vegas on November 21st.

Baroni last saw UFC action when he fought fellow New Yorker Pete “Drago” Sell at UFC back in 2005, and after a hard fought battle, lost via Guillotine choke late in the third round. Only time will tell whether Baroni can make this next run in the Octagon more successful.

http://mmabay.co.uk/sadollah%20vs%20baroni.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Randy Couture is looking to lighten his load.
by Loretta Hunt

The UFC Hall of Famer said he’s leaning toward dropping from heavyweight back down to the UFC’s light heavyweight division, where Couture clinched the title (and its interim version) on three separate occasions.

“Maybe this year, or maybe the first of next year,” said Couture of his next bout. “I haven’t really looked at the cards and the shows that they have. What’s on the schedule, I don’t know, but I’m especially leaning towards dropping down. I’m pushing in weight. It would be easy for me to make 205 and there’s more interesting fights there right now.”

The choice appears to be Couture’s to make. UFC President Dana White told reporters Saturday following UFC 102 that he’d welcome bouts for the 46-year-old legend in both divisions, though White made his preference clear.

“I’d love to see him at light heavyweight, but he proved he can hang with heavyweights,” said White. “He’s had probably the best fight against Brock Lesnar, other than Heath Herring, since Lesnar’s been in here. I think he’s a monster at light heavyweight. It’s up to him, to be honest with you. Whatever he wants to do, I’m in.”

Couture announced on Saturday that he’d renewed his contract with the UFC for seven bouts over 28 months. The new contract was drafted and signed hours before Couture’s 20th Octagon appearance, and included the Nogueira bout. Sources have indicated to Sherdog.com that Couture’s new deal pays him six times more per fight guaranteed up front, along with a percentage of the pay-per-view sales profit.

Couture would not comment on the figures.

“They’re taking care of me very well, and they have since I came back,” said Couture, who left the promotion for 11 months in 2007 over a contract dispute. “The pay-per-view deal that I had, with this last contract, was good and took care of me as well. I don’t have any complaints there.”

Couture weighed in at a relatively svelte 220 pounds for his bout with Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira last Saturday at UFC 102 in Portland, Ore. Nogueira knocked Couture down in the first and third rounds and tied the veteran wrestler up with an array of submission attempts en route to a unanimous decision.

The move would be Couture’s fourth between the heavyweight division, where he began his career in 1997, and the 205-pound ranks. Couture, a three-time All-American for the famed Oklahoma State University, wrestled at 190 pounds and competed internationally at 198 pounds for 16 years.

A plethora of potential matchups await Couture in the division, from Keith Jardine to Mauricio "Shogun" Rua to champion Lyoto Machida.

The decision might also ensure the four-time Olympic alternate never rematches Lesnar, who finished Couture with second-round ground strikes at UFC 91 last November to earn the heavyweight title in only his fourth career bout.

“I kind of got moved off that track losing the decision Saturday anyways,” said Couture. “I don’t know how realistic it is to think I’m going to be the guy in line to fight Lesnar after dropping the decision Saturday night.”

The only obstacle for Couture now might be his flourishing acting career.

Couture said he’s under consideration for two action film projects, either of which could materialize with an offer in the next couple for weeks.

“That would put me in work very quickly this month or next month,” said Couture.

In that scenario, Couture said he would aim to fight again in the beginning of 2010.

Couture also has a supporting role alongside action stars Jason Statham and Jet Li in Sylvester Stallone’s “The Expendables,” due out in April.

“It’s a constant juggling act with all the stuff that I’m doing, so I’ll have to get plenty of notice for fights and when I get a fight that comes on the radar that’s interesting, I shut everything else down for that nine or 10-week period,” said Couture. “Right now, none of the movie deals are inked, so I don’t know what’s going to be real and happen and what’s not.

“I realize at this stage in my career that I can’t fight forever, so it’s not logical for me to put the movie stuff on hold,” added Couture. “I have too many opportunities and options right now.”

sherdog.com

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shogun considers weight change

Before Mauricio "Shogun" Rua has even had a chance to compete for the UFC light heavyweight championship on October 24th, he's already considering the possibility of moving up a weight class. Shogun recently stated that he would consider the move if the money were right.

Source: FightLine.com
Old 09-02-2009, 03:09 PM   #19
ActionAndy
Dayman, Master of Karate

First Name: Andy
Trading: (7)
HdM
ActionAndy will become famous soon enough

As much as I hate Baroni my first instinct is that he'll win that bout. Anyone agree? I just haven't seen enough out of Sadollah to really make an educated guess.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:46 PM   #20
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

RG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionAndy View Post
As much as I hate Baroni my first instinct is that he'll win that bout. Anyone agree? I just haven't seen enough out of Sadollah to really make an educated guess.
I would have to disagree. Baroni hasn't been good for a while. He has lost to people he probably shouldn't have lost to. Sadollah is very good and I think he will sub Baroni. I think the only reason Baroni was signed by the UFC is so he couldn't be picked by Strikeforce.