Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 09-27-2011, 02:45 PM   #501
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of
Default Re: New York Yankees 2011

Here are the Yankee rookies dressed up as 80's music stars.

Old 09-27-2011, 02:55 PM   #502
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicCook View Post
Here are the Yankee rookies dressed up as 80's music stars.

And who's that one in the middle, with the black shirt and bald head . . . Billy Joel?
Old 09-29-2011, 09:34 AM   #503
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
I think you have every right to be excited and happy with this chance at post-season baseball, for many teams never even get meaningful games in the last few weeks of September. Good for the Tigers, the city of Detroit, and all their fans.

My only problem is with your penchant of quoting stats to show us how powerful your team is, touting their performance in numerous catagories, and even proposing three of them as MVP. Again, good for them, but they are all 0-for-October, and you don't count your goose-eggs before they're even laid. The Baseball Gods never sleep. Besides, there is one significant stat you have NOT brought to our attention. Your Tigers are presently 26 games over .500, but against the East and West Divisions you are only 4 over. You got fat on the Central . . . just like everybody else does.

So I'm guessing you guys are excited to face Verlander and Fister at home? Would you have rather faced Boston or Tampa?
BTW all the teams are 0-for-October since it's still September. Every year each team is different. the 2010 Yanks were different than the 2011 Yanks. Same is true of any team. Ask the Twins, Giants, Braves, and Reds. All four played in October last year, none of them will get to this year.

I can't wait for tomorrow night!
Old 09-29-2011, 03:36 PM   #504
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

I can only speak for myself, but though I'd like post-season success for my Yankees I neither demand nor expect it. It's all gravy, and I've never been one who needed a WS Ring to validate a season each and every year. Besides, they've already given me all the goals I wished for. They were expected to fight tooth-and-nail to even gain the wild-card, according to the experts, yet they ended with the best AL record. Jeter got his 3,000th hit in classic fashion, plus a whole lot more, and erased the grins off the faces of Yankee-haters who claimed that he was done. Mo got his MLB-leading saves record, and did it with the same cool reserve he's always shown. And though I fully realize that Verlander and Fister present challenges to any team, I also know my team believes it can compete with the best, and look forward to proving themselves.

I only have two points of argument with you, the first being that YOU seem to be the one exuding confidence that the Tigers will take the series, and even The Series. Well, for your sake, I hope your team does not expect everybody to roll over and play dead for them. Second, when I referred to 0-for-October, I did not mean October 2011, but October baseball. Derek Jeter has more post-season hits than anyone ever had, and Mo's 42 post-season saves may never be approached again. I'd be more shocked if these numbers DON'T increase than if they do. Of course, much of this is due to the increased number of post-season games, but that's not the germaine point. The point is, the Yankees know what October baseball is, while your Detroit Tigers have much less, or zero, experience in this arena. If you think that will not matter, you may be right. But if you think that CANNOT matter, you're fooling yourself.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:20 PM   #505
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

We'll see. I won't disappear if I'm wrong, I'll admit it. However, I think you might want to check your facts. Some of the current starting lineup for the Tigers have rings, just not from their time in Detroit.

Also, I think it's funny you tout the Yank's experience yet their #2 starter is a rookie. Outisde of CC (who is facing the AL Cy Young & Triple Crown winner), I don't think your other starters are going to be creating too many post-season save opportunities for Mo. Then again, it's just my

One of us will be eating crow. Can't wait to see who.

P.S. I hope you know I have a huge smile on my face while writing this. It's all in good fun. I mean no disrespect, just a little friendly trash talking in prep for this playoff series.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:53 PM   #506
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Mike...don't poke the bear.

Let's Go Tigers!

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 06:21 AM   #507
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

First Name: Joe
Trading: (0)
Vegueros
VirtualSmitty has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 View Post
We'll see. I won't disappear if I'm wrong, I'll admit it. However, I think you might want to check your facts. Some of the current starting lineup for the Tigers have rings, just not from their time in Detroit.

Also, I think it's funny you tout the Yank's experience yet their #2 starter is a rookie. Outisde of CC (who is facing the AL Cy Young & Triple Crown winner), I don't think your other starters are going to be creating too many post-season save opportunities for Mo. Then again, it's just my

One of us will be eating crow. Can't wait to see who.

P.S. I hope you know I have a huge smile on my face while writing this. It's all in good fun. I mean no disrespect, just a little friendly trash talking in prep for this playoff series.
Should be a good series. Verlander is about the only pitcher better than CC in the AL I think, both Fister and Nova finished strong, who knows about the rest. Garcia has been up and down. I do think the Yankees have a better offense and a much better bull pen personally, so i'm thinking the Yanks make handy work of the Tigers pretty quickly.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:10 PM   #508
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Mike...don't poke the bear.

You are a wise man, Tom. I've been trying to, as nicely as I could, warn him myself. You and I, we've seen how warped a sense of humor The Baseball Gods possess.

As for me, I'll be watching Fringe tonight, and will check in around the 6th, when I expect things to start getting interesting.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:06 PM   #509
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

Coming in to say, GO TIGERS!!

Hoping the AL batting title winner and AL pitching Triple Crown winner are on top of their games tonight
Old 09-30-2011, 03:06 PM   #510
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

Coming in to say, GO TIGERS!!

Hoping the AL batting title winner and AL pitching Triple Crown winner are on top of their games tonight
Old 09-30-2011, 03:22 PM   #511
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekGodX View Post

I have no problem with that . . . as long as my guys ahead of them in RBIs and HRs continue to hold the edge that shows up on the scoreboard.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:03 PM   #512
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
You are a wise man, Tom. I've been trying to, as nicely as I could, warn him myself. You and I, we've seen how warped a sense of humor The Baseball Gods possess.

As for me, I'll be watching Fringe tonight, and will check in around the 6th, when I expect things to start getting interesting.
Hope Granderson doesn't come back to bite the hand that once fed him, Thomas.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 09-30-2011, 04:14 PM   #513
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
Hope Granderson doesn't come back to bite the hand that once fed him, Thomas.

When you consider that the Yankees have fed him so much better, why should he not?

A beautiful morning and afternoon has turned towards an iffy evening. Over the night and through tomorrow there's a 50% chance of rain in The Bronx. So, what happens if CC and Verlander both pitch a few innings, then sit through a 2-hour delay? Can either restart, or will it go to the long-relief? Might be interesting to watch for this.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:18 PM   #514
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Verlander throws 120-130 pitches on a regular basis, and I think with his delivery style, he can come back after a long delay.

My concern if I was Girardi would be keeping CC away from the pizza in the clubhouse during the rain.

Old 09-30-2011, 04:25 PM   #515
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
My concern if I was Girardi would be keeping CC away from the pizza in the clubhouse during the rain.
Hey, if David Wells could successfully channel his inner Babe, why can't CC too?
Old 09-30-2011, 04:59 PM   #516
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Hey, if David Wells could successfully channel his inner Babe, why can't CC too?
Kind of like John Daly drinking Shirley Temples?

Ok, maybe my analogies are a little exaggerated.

Old 09-30-2011, 05:33 PM   #517
macsauce13
Have My Own Room

First Name: McKenzie
Trading: (38)
macsauce13 has a spectacular aura aboutmacsauce13 has a spectacular aura about

Lets go Yanks! So excited for this post season.
macsauce13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 10:29 AM   #518
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

As I foresaw, The Baseball Gods have already started having their fun, throwing a wet blanket over everybody's pitching strategy. This game is weird, which is much of the giggles.
Old 10-01-2011, 01:09 PM   #519
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

I heard the weather forecast in NY isn't any better today, this could get crazy.

Old 10-01-2011, 01:20 PM   #520
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

Can you say double header Sunday.