Old 10-18-2013, 11:44 AM   #481
billybarue
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (5)
billybarue has disabled reputation
Default Re: MLB 2013 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 View Post

This "neighborhood" crap at 2nd base has to get fixed. I'm against it in all cases, even for my team. Are outs called anywhere else in baseball for being close? There is no justification for this that I can stomach. It's all Are 1st downs granted in the NFL for being close enough to 10 yards from the line of scrimmage?
Couldn't agree more!

The only justification that is plausible is to eliminate hard/high slides, or just going into 2nd hard, to break up the DP. Sorry, but I don't buy that one either. It's part of the game that has been eliminated. When's the last time you saw someone "really" try to break up a DP. I'm surprised they haven't figured out how to prevent someone going hard into the catcher (ala, Buster Posey).

Are baseball players too frail or fragile today? Wideouts/Tight Ends still have to go across the middle and in hockey you still have to go into the corner for the puck. But I guess baseball is comfortable with where the sport has gone - pitching and home runs. Not much "small ball" played at the MLB level anymore.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:45 AM   #482
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybarue View Post
Couldn't agree more!

The only justification that is plausible is to eliminate hard/high slides, or just going into 2nd hard, to break up the DP. Sorry, but I don't buy that one either. It's part of the game that has been eliminated. When's the last time you saw someone "really" try to break up a DP. I'm surprised they haven't figured out how to prevent someone going hard into the catcher (ala, Buster Posey).

Are baseball players too frail or fragile today? Wideouts/Tight Ends still have to go across the middle and in hockey you still have to go into the corner for the puck. But I guess baseball is comfortable with where the sport has gone - pitching and home runs. Not much "small ball" played at the MLB level anymore.
I think having people slide in spikes first running as fast as they can does justify a bit of a judgement call on the umps part, don't care who the teams are.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:51 AM   #483
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua View Post
I think having people slide in spikes first running as fast as they can does justify a bit of a judgement call on the umps part, don't care who the teams are.
WAHHHHH.

It still happens despite this neighborhood crap. Players get injured trying to complete or breakup double plays all the time. It's part of the game. Leave it alone and get rid of this "you dont' REALLY have to actually touch the base while you have the ball to get an out" interpretation of the rule. It's fundamental to the game.

NFL teams dont' get a first down for 29ft from scrimmage do they? Do they count hitting the goal post as a goal in the NHL? It's insane to me they way it's handled now.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:18 PM   #484
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
This "neighborhood" crap at 2nd base has to get fixed. I'm against it in all cases, even for my team. Are outs called anywhere else in baseball for being close? There is no justification for this that I can stomach. It's all Are 1st downs granted in the NFL for being close enough to 10 yards from the line of scrimmage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybarue View Post
Couldn't agree more!

Quote:
It still happens despite this neighborhood crap. Players get injured trying to complete or breakup double plays all the time. It's part of the game. Leave it alone and get rid of this "you dont' REALLY have to actually touch the base while you have the ball to get an out" interpretation of the rule. It's fundamental to the game.

NFL teams dont' get a first down for 29ft from scrimmage do they? Do they count hitting the goal post as a goal in the NHL? It's insane to me they way it's handled now.

I guess to balance things out Bud Selig (the great innovator and caretaker of MLB ) will propose a rule change that will make all fly balls caught on the warning track a super-grand-slam home run worth 5 runs.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:42 PM   #485
AdamJoshua

AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post

I guess to balance things out Bud Selig (the great innovator and caretaker of MLB ) will propose a rule change that will make all fly balls caught on the warning track a super-grand-slam home run worth 5 runs.
I only agree with this rule if it applies to David Ortiz ... oh and what the hell Tom Brady in the case of backyard whiffle ball
Old 10-18-2013, 12:46 PM   #486
billybarue
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (5)
billybarue has disabled reputation

357 said guys are getting injured all the time completing or breaking up DP's at 2nd. Admittedly, I don't watch much baseball anymore but I don't think that happens much anymore. I mean really going hard into the shortstop. Hell, you really can't - the shortstop is almost in right field before he throws the ball to first.

Gotta go in spikes first Peter, unless you mandate head first (Pete Rose) slides into double plays. The only point I draw the line is where maniacs like Ty Cobb would literally sharpen his spikes to intimidate others. And apparently, it wasn't just bravado - he really went in to rip guys up and hurt them. Great player, but POS human being.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:23 PM   #487
Will herf for food

VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Yes the Ty Cobb style slides (trying to injure) are not common, but guys frequently slide into defensive players to break up double-plays. It happened on the play I was complaining about. Nobody was hurt THAT time but it happens a lot I'm sure given 162 games/year.

I Googled "injured breaking up double play" and there's 5 players mentioned on the first page, no incident older than 2012.

Here's Jacoby Ellsbury this year
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWV7uRtmk0c

According to this http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...42700&c_id=mlb all the player has to do is make an attempt to touch 2B when breaking up a double play.

I suggest a comprimise of sorts. It should be legal to break up the play but if you don't touch the base, you should be ejected. AND, the defensive player would actually have to touch the base and the basesball at the same time, EVERYTIME!!!! This way you would eliminate or strongly discourage going way outside the basepath to injure someone while preserving the fundamentals/integrity of the game.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:38 PM   #488
ChicagoWhiteSox

Jose freaking Abreu
Old 10-18-2013, 03:37 PM   #489
Will herf for food

VR

Good to "see" you Nate.
Old 10-18-2013, 04:53 PM   #490
ChicagoWhiteSox

You too Mike, maybe my Sox can be more of a challenge for your Tigers next year doubt it though
Old 10-19-2013, 10:57 AM   #491
ChicagoWhiteSox

Can't wait to see this kid next year
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fP2PrTvnk3U
Old 10-20-2013, 12:20 AM   #492
AdamJoshua

Old 10-20-2013, 08:41 AM   #493
CigarSquid
AKA Garryyjr

First Name: Garry
Trading: (39)
CigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura about

If it is really about player safety, then why can a runner barrel into home plate, no intention at all to hit the plate, but rock the catchers world?
Old 10-20-2013, 09:48 AM   #494
AdamJoshua

Catcher has a little more protection than say a second baseman. Also this is all about second and breaking up the double play, at least that's the excuse, it's really the only time it happens.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:53 AM   #495
CigarSquid
AKA Garryyjr

CigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua View Post
Catcher has a little more protection than say a second baseman. Also this is all about second and breaking up the double play, at least that's the excuse, it's really the only time it happens.
Protection? That catcher gear helps getting a shoulder to your ribs? Sin guards help your knees?

They get hit just as hard, are like a defenseless receiver at that point. More then nit, the catcher has very little time to brace.. plus he is kneeling down while the runner is diving right at him.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:44 AM   #496
ChicagoWhiteSox

Oh dear Lord please don't change mlb like nfl and nba. The changes are said to be for the players protection, that is bull$hit.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:44 PM   #497
Bruins Fan
Hooper drives the boat.

First Name: John
Trading: (0)
RyJ
Bruins Fan will become famous soon enoughBruins Fan will become famous soon enough

If it's a bang....bang play the fielder gets it.

If it is booted,bobbled or a bad throw then it is looked at very close and called accordingly.

That is the way it has been called forever for all teams.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:44 PM   #498
AdamJoshua

Edit: NM go back to whaaaaa

You wanna ***** and complain complain about Joe West's every changing strike zone lol

Last edited by AdamJoshua; 10-20-2013 at 12:49 PM.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:48 PM   #499
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

OK, I guess we can close this thread up now and start the 2014 thread.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:58 PM   #500
CigarSquid
AKA Garryyjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
OK, I guess we can close this thread up now and start the 2014 thread.

I was ready a week ago.