Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: New York Yankees 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 View Post
You guys feeling the heat behind you yet? Tigers and Verlander have each won 11 in a row. The Tigers have won 21 of their last 25 and are only 4 1/2 back from the Yankees.

BTW Congrats to Mariano Rivera on #600. Very Impressive.
Don't poke the sleeping bear, Mike.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:21 PM   #482
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Don't poke the sleeping bear, Mike.
No poking, just curious if they've noticed. I know Boston, New York, Texas, or Philly can all bring it.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:33 PM   #483
jonumberone
Raw Dog

First Name: Dom
Trading: (62)
RA
jonumberone has disabled reputation

Quote:
No poking, just curious if they've noticed. I know Boston, New York, Texas, or Philly can all bring it.
Mike, not sure what the Yanks should be looking out for?
Best overall record in the AL?

If that's what your gunning for you can have it.
Truth be told, Regardless if they finish above the Yanks or right behind them, they still get Boston in the first round.
Which is a tall order!

Home field advantage in the ALCS is only worth something if you get there!

And since I don't mind poking the bear a little
Of the 21 wins, only 3 were against a team that is above 500!
Old 09-14-2011, 02:46 PM   #484
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Quote:
You guys feeling the heat behind you yet? Tigers and Verlander have each won 11 in a row. The Tigers have won 21 of their last 25 and are only 4 1/2 back from the Yankees.
What a load. Firstly, that 4 1/2 means 5 back in the loss column, with the Tiggers having only 14 left. Secondly, the Yankees are interested in winning the AL East, then moving on to the playoffs, and do not care who wins the Central. And thirdly, Detroit is the ONLY team in said Central division with a record over .500, whereas at this moment the O's are the only team in the East UNDER .500. That does not diminish the "threat" of Verlander, who's damned good, but it does somewhat lessen the significance of the Tiggers' dominance in a division that, quite frankly, sucks.

Still, more power to Detroit. Let them win all the games they want in September, as long as they collapse come October.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:31 PM   #485
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

The Yankees clinch the AL East tonight with a double header sweep of the Rays.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:21 PM   #486
skullnrose
Ashes,ashes,all fall down

First Name: Scott
Trading: (16)
HUpmann
skullnrose is on a distinguished road

My fiance is a Red Sox fan Watching the game with her and knowing the Sox lost was fun to say the least. Now lets kick some ass in the playoffs
Old 09-21-2011, 11:24 PM   #487
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

I don't think I could date a Red Sox fan.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:40 PM   #488
x man
Opus lover since 1995

First Name: X
Trading: (24)
Montecristo
x man will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicCook View Post
I might be able to date her,
but i couldnt live with her.
x man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:00 AM   #489
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicCook View Post

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 09-22-2011, 12:07 AM   #490
x man
Opus lover since 1995

First Name: X
Trading: (24)
Montecristo
x man will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Like i said, i could date her.
x man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:09 AM   #491
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

LGC

Quote:
I could have hate sex with her.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:16 PM   #492
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Quote:
You guys feeling the heat tied with you yet? Tigers and Rangers have identical records for 2nd-best in the AL, and with only 7 games left both are still 5 losses behind the Yankees.

Don't ever, EVER, tempt The Baseball Gods.
Old 09-22-2011, 03:44 PM   #493
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
You guys feeling the heat tied with you yet?
Yes. I want the Tigers to get the BoSox in the first playoff round, and hope by some miracle the Rangers knock off the Yankees.

Old 09-22-2011, 03:48 PM   #494
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
Yes. I want the Tigers to get the BoSox in the first playoff round, and hope by some miracle the Rangers knock off the Yankees.

The way the Sox have played in September, everybody wants them in October. And Tejas would need no miracle to beat my Yanks . . . they can hit, and their starters are pretty good. But if it comes down to the bullpens, the Yankees might prevail.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:30 PM   #495
skullnrose
Ashes,ashes,all fall down

First Name: Scott
Trading: (16)
HUpmann
skullnrose is on a distinguished road

With Detroit losing today and the Yanks clinching home field for the playoffs and the fact they are clicking on all cylinders they should be tough to beat.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:45 AM   #496
Dave128
Sexy Dave

First Name: Dave
Trading: (4)
Dave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really nice

Nice "loss" to the Rays last night. Way to stick it to the Sox!!
Old 09-27-2011, 12:08 PM   #497
Will herf for food

VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

I'm not so worried about the Yankees "clicking on all cylinders".

http://www.yardbarker.com/mlb/articl...ians_0/7045168

Quote:
Justin Verlander and Fister, who are scheduled to start the first two games of Detroit's first-round playoff series, are now a combined 14-0 with a 1.61 ERA in 16 appearances since August 16.
Not to mention Cabrera's going to win the batting title (after going .400 for the past month) and V-Mart is only hitting .323, Avila & Pehalta are both hitting .300 w/ 19/20 HR.

Valverde has 47 saves in a row; no blown saves in 2011. Heck they're also 75-0 when leading after 7 innings this season. The Tigers are hot.

I'm not saying they'll win it all. I'm just saying I don't fear any team.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:37 PM   #498
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
I'm not so worried about the Yankees "clicking on all cylinders".

The Yankees have not been clicking on all cylinders all year, so I don't understand this statement. Yet I do hope the Tigers are as confident as you are, Mike, and expect to win before they walk out of the dugout. Pride is a sin, but hubris is a fatal flaw.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:14 PM   #499
Will herf for food

VR

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
The Yankees have not been clicking on all cylinders all year, so I don't understand this statement. Yet I do hope the Tigers are as confident as you are, Mike, and expect to win before they walk out of the dugout. Pride is a sin, but hubris is a fatal flaw.

"clicking on all cylinders" was a response to this comment...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullnrose View Post
With Detroit losing today and the Yanks clinching home field for the playoffs and the fact they are clicking on all cylinders they should be tough to beat.
I'm not prideful, just excited. It's all in good fun Thomas. I watch my team lose an AL record tying 119 games in 2003. They backed into the playoffs in 2006, spanked the Yankees and A's, only to lose to an inferior Cardinals team. This is their first division win since '87 (before the AL Central existed). I was born in '79 so, for me getting to watch playoff baseball is a rarity. I vaguely remember the '84 title or the '87 run. 2006 was the first time I got to watch the Tigers in the playoffs and actually remember it.

If we're going to get into pride, I don't think Tigers fans could hold a candle to Yankee fans. In many ways for good reason. The Yankees have been a good team for the better half of a century. Just don't assume because they often win that they will this time.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:37 PM   #500
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

I think you have every right to be excited and happy with this chance at post-season baseball, for many teams never even get meaningful games in the last few weeks of September. Good for the Tigers, the city of Detroit, and all their fans.

My only problem is with your penchant of quoting stats to show us how powerful your team is, touting their performance in numerous catagories, and even proposing three of them as MVP. Again, good for them, but they are all 0-for-October, and you don't count your goose-eggs before they're even laid. The Baseball Gods never sleep. Besides, there is one significant stat you have NOT brought to our attention. Your Tigers are presently 26 games over .500, but against the East and West Divisions you are only 4 over. You got fat on the Central . . . just like everybody else does.