Old 11-05-2009, 03:56 PM   #461
WyGuy
Boiler Up!

First Name: Mike
Trading: (16)
Bolivar
WyGuy will become famous soon enoughWyGuy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: NHL '09 - '10 Thread

To me it looks like a clean hit. Looks like it was just terrible timing when the D goes to turn and pass the puck. Sucks to see someone get such a serious injury though.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:08 PM   #462
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Didn't look blatently dirty to me...but the escalating head injuries this season have been very disturbing.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 11-05-2009, 07:14 PM   #463
Prefy
Connoisseur of Pucks

First Name: Matt
Trading: (5)
Bolivar
Prefy will become famous soon enough

From what I have seen I would have to agree with both of you. But apparently the referees and the commissioner of the league David Branch didn't agree.

Michael Liambas the guy who threw the hit was suspended for the season. Which I think is pretty harsh. They keep using the excuses that Liambas is an Overager who throughout his career was always a "tough guy" and Fanelli is inexperienced and just 16.

I do pray for Ben Fanelli as he is in Hospital in severe condition with skull and facial fractures.

All in All interesting situation I never want to see someone get hurt but there is also the general rule that you need to keep your head up when you're on the ice.

http://www.tsn.ca/chl/story/?id=297187
Old 11-05-2009, 09:25 PM   #464
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Harsh punishment indeed.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 11-05-2009, 10:35 PM   #465
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

Trading: (53)
HUpmann
Ahbroody has disabled reputation

Sorry Tom I am going to disagree and I will explain why.

When you slow it down he did appear to get his elbow on his head. That said hits that look similar to this occur almot every night in the NHL and no one gets hurt. The reason being the guy hitting doesnt bring the elbow and the guy taking knows how to absorb the hit.

A little bit of research and thinking shows why the league did this. I think part of the suspension may be the guy has a history of questionable hits. He is basically a fighter enforcer and the jrs remember are trying to limit this after the past few years and kids hitting heads on ice etc.
This hit was not the only one, just one I thought demonstrated what he does. He had nothing but bad intentions here and charged the guy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0Qo2...eature=related

Hes an overager. From what I understand he was 20 at the start of the season but may be 21 now. Basically to me it appears the league has decided the guy isnt going to add anything to the league isnt going to make the show and will likely spend the year blowing up 16 and 17 year olds trying to impress a club wanting a potential tough guy. He almost killed this kid and given his style of hitting he may have ended up killing a 16 year old by the end of the year. The league is basically saying okay badass time to go play in the AHL or ECHL and go pull this.

Arent the majors looking into not allowing the 16 and some 17s not playing majors because of this type of stuff?

Its not accurate or fair to ask to look at this one hit and base your decission saying its wrong or harsh on the one hit. Just as in the NHL. Repeat offenders are treated much more harshly when they have a history as opposed to the clean player who screws up once. Say I dont know someone like Chris Simon? This guy has an extensive history of bad hits and fighting. These are two things the majors want gone last I heard as they are trying to protect kids. This guy is a men amoung boys and he almost killed one. That is why he is gone.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:02 PM   #466
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

You make excellent points, Mike. I have neither researched it nor slowed it down the way you did. I respect your opinion, and therefore accept your argument.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:38 PM   #467
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

Focking Sharks lost in a shot out to the evil empire. Nabby played well and had a little luck. Want to have a stick so bad right now but cant shake this chest cold.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:49 AM   #468
Azpostal
Feeling at Home

First Name: Don
Trading: (9)
Army (Served With Honor)
Azpostal is on a distinguished road

Yes!!!! Finally another win for the Yotes!!!
Old 11-06-2009, 02:29 AM   #469
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahbroody View Post
Focking Sharks lost in a shot out to the evil empire. Nabby played well and had a little luck. Want to have a stick so bad right now but cant shake this chest cold.
VICTORY!!!! 3 straight for the Wings. Ozzie looks to be getting it together (but I'm sure I just jinxed him lol). Zetterburg's SO goal was very nice.

Na-Bak-Ov, Na-Bak-Ov, Na-Bok-Ov
Old 11-06-2009, 05:10 AM   #470
kugie
Have My Own Room

First Name: Joe
Trading: (3)
kugie will become famous soon enough

Oh Bruins Oh Bruins where has the Scoring gone?
I think two goals in the last 4 games??
I guess one good thing is they are not giving up alot 5 in the last 4
Old 11-06-2009, 06:48 AM   #471
WyGuy
Boiler Up!

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahbroody View Post
Sorry Tom I am going to disagree and I will explain why.

When you slow it down he did appear to get his elbow on his head. That said hits that look similar to this occur almot every night in the NHL and no one gets hurt. The reason being the guy hitting doesnt bring the elbow and the guy taking knows how to absorb the hit.

A little bit of research and thinking shows why the league did this. I think part of the suspension may be the guy has a history of questionable hits. He is basically a fighter enforcer and the jrs remember are trying to limit this after the past few years and kids hitting heads on ice etc.
This hit was not the only one, just one I thought demonstrated what he does. He had nothing but bad intentions here and charged the guy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0Qo2...eature=related

Hes an overager. From what I understand he was 20 at the start of the season but may be 21 now. Basically to me it appears the league has decided the guy isnt going to add anything to the league isnt going to make the show and will likely spend the year blowing up 16 and 17 year olds trying to impress a club wanting a potential tough guy. He almost killed this kid and given his style of hitting he may have ended up killing a 16 year old by the end of the year. The league is basically saying okay badass time to go play in the AHL or ECHL and go pull this.

Arent the majors looking into not allowing the 16 and some 17s not playing majors because of this type of stuff?

Its not accurate or fair to ask to look at this one hit and base your decission saying its wrong or harsh on the one hit. Just as in the NHL. Repeat offenders are treated much more harshly when they have a history as opposed to the clean player who screws up once. Say I dont know someone like Chris Simon? This guy has an extensive history of bad hits and fighting. These are two things the majors want gone last I heard as they are trying to protect kids. This guy is a men amoung boys and he almost killed one. That is why he is gone.
Going to have to disagree with the elbow to the head. To me it appears to be a shoulder to shoulder, clean hit. I re-watched the video multiple times now trying to see it, but it still looks clean to me.

Here's the OHL's official statement, their calling it a boarding penalty.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl,200172

I do think your right though, seems they have had enough of this guy and want him gone. Wish Fanelli the best of luck and speedy recovery.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:31 AM   #472
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyGuy View Post
Going to have to disagree with the elbow to the head. To me it appears to be a shoulder to shoulder, clean hit. I re-watched the video multiple times now trying to see it, but it still looks clean to me.

Here's the OHL's official statement, their calling it a boarding penalty.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl,200172

I do think your right though, seems they have had enough of this guy and want him gone. Wish Fanelli the best of luck and speedy recovery.
Watched the video in the link you gave. 39 second freeze you see this.

That is not shoulder to shoulder brother. His elbow is right on his head. Now clearly at the speed its hard to pick up, but it is there to me. Hope this helps you see it. He clearly finishes with the elbow. He came in and drove the elbow, he didnt lead with the elbow, but at that speed finishing with it is I guess harder to pick up
Old 11-06-2009, 09:38 AM   #473
WyGuy
Boiler Up!

Bolivar

Here's a view from the other side. To me that basically looks shoulder to shoulder, but I can see where your coming from.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:00 AM   #474
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

Lol I guess we are going to dance in circles. You are showing the start of the contact. I already said in my reply to you that he didnt lead with the elbow I said he finished with it. Look at his body positioning on your pic. Thats the begining of the contact where they are side by side as he hits and drives through Fanelli the elbow finishes on the side of his head which is the pic I am showing. If you look at my pic he is no longer side by side as in yours.

Any way you look at it the kid ended up with a fractured orbital bone which usually occurs when someone gets the Shiva to the face. Regardless of that I think the league made the right call. If you youtube this guy its a collage of suspect hits and fights. GOOOOOOOOOOOOON!! He is a great fighter though, in one fight he gave up almost a foot and like over 50lbs and still broke the dudes nose. He just doesnt have much business playing in a development league with 16 and 17 year olds to me.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:18 AM   #475
WyGuy
Boiler Up!

Bolivar

Alright, one more lap around the old circle, lol.

Here's the way I see this, but my interpretation of the incident may be wrong.

I agree with the fact that he's a goon and that he shouldn't be playing against most teenagers who are still developing.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:29 AM   #476
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

Look at your first pic. At the start of the hit his helmet has already come off his head and is now above where his head is. You can see his head and hair and everything in your pic. Now watch the video and notice the helmet lands after he does as its floating in thr air during the hit and fall. You are going to need to place that head lower then the helmet and remember that the head is a large area then that little circle you drew. You cannot fit the elbow and head in the area below the helmet without the elbow being on his head. The elbow is on the head man. I guess we should stop as apparently you think its a clean hit and I cant show it anymore clearly then the photos that his elbow is on the head.

Last edited by Ahbroody; 11-06-2009 at 10:37 AM.
Old 11-06-2009, 04:38 PM   #477
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

Looking forward to the Avs vs 'Hawks game in a few hours.... GO AVS!
Old 11-06-2009, 05:00 PM   #478
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.J. View Post
Looking forward to the Avs vs 'Hawks game in a few hours.... GO AVS!
Me too....It will feel weird rooting against Craig...but GO HAWKS!

Old 11-06-2009, 09:51 PM   #479
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Me too....It will feel weird rooting against Craig...but GO HAWKS!
Guess we can expect another extended shootout next week....
Old 11-07-2009, 11:04 AM   #480
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.J. View Post
Guess we can expect another extended shootout next week....
That was a lot of fun, though I have no clue why Byfuglien thought he could beat Craig with a slapshot. Watched the shootout with Craig's brother, so at least HE was happy.

Closed Thread