Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 08:02 PM   #4701
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all
Default Re: First Firearm Thread.

They pick a price.
Call around and ask
http://fflgundealers.net/
Old 01-28-2013, 08:07 PM   #4702
Robulous78

and this is probably a dumb question but I'll ask anyway... the FFL dealer has to be in my state, correct? for instance since you and I are buddies I couldn't get you to handle my transfer, could I?

Old 01-28-2013, 08:15 PM   #4703
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

Lol no. Gotta be in ur state. Closer to u the better because u gotta pick it up there. Well legally u can buy a rifle or shotgun out of state and carry it back with u, I would assume transfer would be the same if its not a pistol, but why would u?
Old 01-28-2013, 08:34 PM   #4704
Robulous78

just trying to think of someone that won't charge me an arm and a leg... more or less it was just a theoretical question... with FFL being federal I thought it wouldn't matter what state it is purchased in...

Old 01-28-2013, 08:34 PM   #4705
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

First Name: Frank
Trading: (20)
LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robulous78 View Post
ahh... ok.... so do FFL's name their own price or is there a guideline to what they charge?
$25-$35 is the norm, depending on the FFL. I have FFL's near me that charge all of those prices.

Occasionally you'll find one for $20, although that's not so normal.

I worked out a deal with one local FFL for a better rate on a group of items arriving. Some will work with you on that, some won't.

If you live in certain parts of komifornia, apparently it can go as high as $100.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:47 PM   #4706
Robulous78

I was about to say I heard it could cost up to 200 dollars... if its 20 to 50 bucks then no problems... i just didn't want to pay more for the FFL then I do for the actual lower...

I am thinking I will go ahead and buy a lower sometime real real soon... and then as the weeks go by I'll save my shuttle tip money and buy the other parts to build it...

what is the most expensive part of an AR? and how difficult are they to build, can a novice complete a build or does it take special tools and know how?

Old 01-28-2013, 08:51 PM   #4707
Robulous78

unless you think saving my money and buying an already completed AR would be cheaper? I am just trying to do this more or less the cheapest way possible... thats not saying I want sh!tty parts... just if i am going to spend more for them there had better/will be a reason why...

Old 01-28-2013, 09:02 PM   #4708
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
unless you think saving my money and buying an already completed AR would be cheaper? I am just trying to do this more or less the cheapest way possible... thats not saying I want sh!tty parts... just if i am going to spend more for them there had better/will be a reason why...
You picked the wrong time if you're looking to build cheap.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:05 PM   #4709
Robulous78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
You picked the wrong time if you're looking to build cheap.
yea... I know I have... I just wanna get one before anything stupid happens and they make them illegal again... was thinking about buying 30rd mags also incase those disappear as well...

What chances do you actually give them to pass the ban again? I heard they said because the last one wasn't effective they were going to try to work more on capacity bans rather then model bans...

Old 01-28-2013, 09:09 PM   #4710
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

No real idea. I'm like you, looking to buy, but I'm not willing to pay the inflated prices. Good news is they seem to be subsiding a bit, at least from what I've seen on one site. This is for complete rifles. Now if I could only find the model I want at a decent price.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:42 PM   #4711
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

Quote:
If you're worried about a ban, buy the lower now.

For all the other parts, save your money and wait. The parts will only get cheaper, and the options will only go up.

If you're not worried about a gun ban, don't even buy the lower now. The market is going to be FLOODED with private party deals on AR's in 2-6 weeks as everyone who went out and purchased one on panic suddenly realizes that they can't afford to keep it, and are willing to sell it for less than they paid. There's also a lot of people who purchased 5-20 lowers, thinking they would have a precious and pricy commodity when a ban hit. If a ban doesn't hit, then they're going to start liquidating those....

I would lay far better odds of a magazine ban passing than a gun ban, I would probably get a few of those now. $30 is going rate. Still very pricy compared to $10-$12 before.. but if you're only getting a couple, not that bad.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:45 PM   #4712
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

If I were to buy a complete upper/lower, is there anything else I would need besides mags and ammo?
Old 01-28-2013, 09:51 PM   #4713
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

Quote:
If I were to buy a complete upper/lower, is there anything else I would need besides mags and ammo?
nope. Just make sure the upper includes the BOLT CARRIER GROUP. (bolt, bolt carrier). The only uppers w/ BCG I've seen at a reasonable price lately was a small batch of 16" middys that Aim Surplus got in last week. Crashed the website so many people were trying to get it.

There's a HUGE shortage of BCGs right now. Supply was getting short BEFORE the panic. Finding a lower is easy, finding a BCG is not.

If you buy a stripped lower (more common than a complete lower) you'll need a parts kit.

Palmetto's got a few right now at a fair price (the stock alone is $100)
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...build-kit.html
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...build-kit.html

Shipping will be a little slow from Palmetto, but not terrible. I ordered a parts kit from them on 1/3, UPS just brought it to me today 1/28, so you're looking at about 3-4 weeks.

I paid $500 for my complete upper (plus tax sadly, they're in the same state). If you pay a fair price for a lower and nab one for $130, + $200 for the parts, you'll be looking at about $850 for your basic build. Get a slightly decent stock. Cheap one's rattle and fit loose. They function... but not as well.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:55 PM   #4714
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Thanks Francis. RRA has the complete upper in stock (20" Predator) I'm looking at. I may do like you said and buy a lower right now and wait to see if upper prices drop. $675 is a lot for just the upper when you complete guns weren't going for a lot more than that last year.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:56 PM   #4715
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

But I really do think prices are going to be falling drastically in a bit. Just like when the stock market and the housing market get overvalued, there's a "market correction" as the pendulum swings the other way. Same thing is going to happen in parts of the gun market. Some things will stay high for a while (ammo in particular, typically if you stockpiled that, you'll keep your stockpile rather than sell it), but private party deals are going to abound for many things....
Old 01-28-2013, 09:59 PM   #4716
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

Quote:
Thanks Francis. RRA has the complete upper in stock (20" Predator) I'm looking at. I may do like you said and buy a lower right now and wait to see if upper prices drop. $675 is a lot for just the upper when you complete guns weren't going for a lot more than that last year.
I don't think you're reading the RRA website correctly
http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.c...ategory_ID=452

BCGs are one of the items on "INDEFINITE BACKORDER"

for a 20" stainless free float heavy match barreled upper, $675 sounds about normal. I wasn't very familiar with prices before, but I don't think you'll see that go any lower in the next year...
Old 01-28-2013, 10:02 PM   #4717
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

well I'm out, heading out to the barn for a smoke while the weather is holding steady at 46.... No garage and no cigar bar within 90 miles of me, so thats the best I can do in my area!
Old 01-28-2013, 10:42 PM   #4718
big pete
Going to the darkside....

PL
big pete will become famous soon enoughbig pete will become famous soon enough

How much should I pay for a buffer tube kit (tube, spring, buffer)?
Old 01-29-2013, 12:57 AM   #4719
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by big pete View Post
How much should I pay for a buffer tube kit (tube, spring, buffer)?
JUST the buffer, i dont know... i've only ever purchased the full lower parts kit, sorry.

Places like brownels and midway have not raised their prices. Even if you find the parts out of stock, you can check prices there to find out what the normal rate is. i dont think buffer tube kits are in critically short supply, so i imagine that normal rate or something close applies..
Old 01-29-2013, 06:29 AM   #4720
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrrr View Post
I don't think you're reading the RRA website correctly
http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.c...ategory_ID=452

BCGs are one of the items on "INDEFINITE BACKORDER"

for a 20" stainless free float heavy match barreled upper, $675 sounds about normal. I wasn't very familiar with prices before, but I don't think you'll see that go any lower in the next year...
Interesting. I guess I can order it and see what happens.