Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 08-10-2009, 09:56 PM   #1
Steelergar

Default Re: Official MMA Thread

Hey guys I was just watching some old Antonio Silva fights, this guy looks pretty impressive. I was also looking up Aleksander Emelianenko because he KO'd the only guy that beat Silva. Aleksander is still a young guy (28) and has been finishing fights easily, most in the 1st round (just like his bro). I thought it was interesting for Aleksander's bio it says he once killed a bear by trapping its head with a fork like staff then stabbed it in the heart with a knife. That takes alot balls. He is also bigger than Fedor at 6-6 255lbs. To bad he cant fight in the USA. His next fight is against Blagoi Ivanov (the guy that beat his bro in combat Sambo) in September. I am looking forward to that one.

Last edited by Steelergar; 08-10-2009 at 10:05 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:47 AM   #2
Ken
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
RyJ Army (Served With Honor)
Ken is on a distinguished road

Every time I watch a Matt Riddle fight I like him even more. Let's go Mr. Heatmeiser!

I'll agree that UFC 102 doesn't look great though there are a few fights I think are going to be good. Not sure why Leben's fight is on the main card. I have to say I really want to see Tuchscherer destroy Gonzaga.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 05:29 PM   #3
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

NO WHERE BUT UP FOR ANDERSON SILVA?
by Ken Pishna - MMAWeekly.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whats next for Anderson Silva? That is the million dollar or perhaps multi-million dollar question.

After moving up in weight and dismantling No. 3 ranked light heavyweight Forrest Griffin at UFC 101 on Saturday night, it was all but a foregone conclusion that he would drop back down to 185 pounds to defend his middleweight belt.

I think his next fight is at 185 pounds, probably against Dan Henderson, said UFC President Dana White at the post-fight press conference. I think we're gonna do him and Dan again. And then, I don't know. He goes back to 205. He could do anything.

And do anything could be coming a lot sooner than even White had anticipated.

Yahoo! Sports Dan Wetzel reported that following the fight, in the wee hours of morning, Silvas manager, Ed Soares, approached White with an unexpected proposition. That proposition being Anderson Silva forego defending his middleweight title to make a permanent move up to light heavyweight.

Id let him, White later told Wetzel. Wed put (the middleweight title) up for grabs.

No word yet out of Octagon Central, but its an interesting proposition with blockbuster fights written all over it. While Silva is running out of options at middleweight, Rashad Evans, Quinton Jackson, Mauricio Shogun Rua, or the returning Tito Ortiz await at 205. And though Silva discounts ever fighting him, there is also current champion and Silva teammate Lyoto Machida.

With his win over Griffin, Silva took one more step in proving White correct. He's the most talented fighter in the world. He's pound-for-pound the best in the world. He proved tonight, not only that he's that, but he can dominate in two different weight divisions.

It now sounds as if he wants to be done in one of those two weight classes, perhaps enjoying the added power that accompanies the added bulk at 205.

If Silva and the UFC brass do decide to put the middleweight title up for grabs, Silva will likely have to let his words of solidarity fall by the wayside.

Lyoto's my friend, he's my brother, and there is no way that fight will happen, he declared at the press conference.

But if he moves up and both keep winning, an eventual collision would be inevitable.

If Anderson gets to that point where he starts taking out 205-pounders, I'll make that fight, White stated just as emphatically. I promise you, I'll make that fight.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dana White still uncertain whether Chuck Liddell's retirement is permanent
by Dann Stupp

Is Chuck Liddell really retired?

It seems the man who first announced the former champion's career conclusion isn't even sure these days.

After a knockout loss to Mauricio "Shogun" Rua at UFC 97 in April, UFC president Dana White announced in a post-fight press conference that Liddell had entered the octagon for the final time. Now, though, he hasn't completely shut the door on his longtime friend and former manager fighting once more.

"He's a huge superstar, and we could still sell lots of tickets (with Liddell)," White said in April. "But I don't care about that. I care about him. I care about his health, and it's over, man. It's over."

A few weeks later John Hackleman, the trainer of the recent UFC Hall of Fame inductee, told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) Liddell could still compete with the best.

"I don't know what's going to happen," Hackleman said. "Just on his abilities, his skill and his power, and what he has left, I think he has more than one fight left in him. Maybe his game isn't what it was 10 years ago. I don't know. But he's definitely at the top of the food chain.

The episode has played out in the media since the spring with White, Hackleman, the media, fans - everyone but Liddell himself - giving definitive thoughts. Liddell recently said he'd take a year off and decide early next year to fight again.

And echoing comments first made in May, White hasn't ruled out the possibility.

"I don't want him to (fight)," White said after this past weekend's UFC 101 event. "He wants to, so we'll see what happens."
Old 08-11-2009, 05:35 PM   #4
WildBlueSooner
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: James
Trading: (19)
AirForce (Served With Honor)
WildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura about

Interesting. Would be cool to see him put the middleweight up in the air, and move on up. The door would be open for one hell of a PPV!
Old 08-12-2009, 09:25 AM   #5
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

NOT SO FAST, ANDERSON STILL WANTS TO SWING

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/...=9352&zoneid=2

Hot on the heels of reports that Anderson Silva had acquired a permanent taste for the 205-pound division, it appears that the most dominant middleweight champion in UFC history isnt quite ready to relinquish his throne at 185.

A recent column by Yahoo! Sports writer Dan Wetzel stated that Silvas manager, Ed Soares, told UFC President Dana White that his client was willing to make the move to light heavyweight permanent, even if it meant dropping his middleweight belt in the process.

Not so Soares told MMAWeekly.com, saying hes not sure where that information was drawn from.

Its not true. I never said that to Dana, stated the Brazilians chief negotiator. I never said he would move up and relinquish the title. I have said to Dana that hed like to fight again at 205 (but not permanently).

After UFC 101, where Silva dismantled Forrest Griffin at 205, White indicated that Silvas next bout would likely be a drop back down to 185 to defend his belt against Dan Henderson. That would be a rematch of their first bout of a year-and-a-half ago, when Silva won with a decisive second round submission.

Soares isnt so sure that Henderson is the person that deserves the next middleweight title shot.

Since losing to Silva at UFC 82, Henderson has three straight victories: a unanimous decision over Rousimar Palhares at 185, a split decision win over Rich Franklin at light heavyweight, and a middleweight knockout victory over Michael Bisping.

Does that really make him a number one contender? I feel a true number one opponent (at 185) would be if Henderson fought the winner of Nate Marquardt and Damian Maia, Soares told MMAWeekly.com. That would produce a true number one contender... we could take another fight at 205 or a catchweight fight (in the meantime).

As for his clients future, nothing has changed.

Ive always said the same thing, he wants the biggest fights possible, whether its at 205 or 185.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A knee injury has forced UFC veteran Chris Lytle (27-17-5 MMA, 6-9 UFC) out of a scheduled UFC Fight Nigh 19 bout with Carlos Condit.

Ken Pavia of MMAAgents.com, which reps Lytle, today told MMAjunkie.com (http://www.mmajunkie.com) the longtime UFC fighter and runner up on "The Ultimate Fighter 4" tore his meniscus and now has a "blown ACL."

The UFC has not officially announced Lytle's departure from the card, though the organization has ample to find a replacement for the Sept. 16 fight, which was part of the night's Spike TV-televised main card.

UFC Fight Night 19 takes place at the Cox Convention Center in Oklahoma City, Okla., and serves as a lead-in for the debut episode of "The Ultimate Fighter 10."

Lytle, fresh off a "Fight of the Night" victory over Kevin Burns at The Ultimate Fighter 9 Finale in June, has won two of his past three fights, the lone loss coming to Marcus Davis via split decision. Lytle continued his recent windfall by picking up his third straight "Fight of the Night" bonus and fourth overall. In fact, including fight-night bonuses for submissions and knockouts, he's won six bonuses in his past eight fights.

A timetable for the veteran's return is not immediately known.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The UFC set to counter Strikeforce this Saturday with UFC 100 replay

The UFC are at it again with their counter programming policy, this time targeting Saturdays Strikeforce: Carano vs. Cyborg event with the historic UFC 100 show from last month.

It has been revealed that the UFC will counter with several bouts from the night in question free on SPIKE TV, although the order has not been confirmed. Past experiences would expect them to run the majority of the main card which featured championship bouts between Brock Lesnar, Frank Mir, Georges St. Pierre and Thiago Alves.

The UFC have used this tactic in the past to great effect with Affliction and have made it public that they are not on good terms with Strikeforce, especially since the California based promotion snapped up WAMMA heavyweight champion, Fedor Emelianenko.

By Michael Pepper.

Original source: FoxSports.com
Old 08-12-2009, 10:27 PM   #6
Steelergar

Thales Leites has been cut from the UFC. Went from #1 contender 3 months ago to jobless. WTF
Old 08-14-2009, 08:23 AM   #7
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ian
Trading: (10)
Cohiba
BengalMan will become famous soon enoughBengalMan will become famous soon enough

Lots of stuff going on in this thread with last weekends cards. I was in New Orleans for the IPCPR show and was able to get away from the show and Bourbon St. Saturday night to stream UFC 101 in the hotel room. All I can say about the Forrest/Anderson fights was WOW. Anderson continues to make things look so easy. BJ looked great as well. I always enjoy seeing him fight.

I missed the WEC card though, but when I looked up MMA Mania and saw that Torres lost in such a brutal fashion in the first round I was shocked. Too bad we won't see Bowlds in action again for some time with that broken hand.

I was really excited to see the Strikeforce card tonight due to Nick Diaz being on it. Not anymore. Guess he likes smoking weed more than being a fighter and making a ton of money. What a fool. I think the card will still be good, but with Diaz on it, it would have been that much better.
BengalMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:11 AM   #8
Ken
Still Watching My Back

So the UFC dropped Tamdan McCrory and signed Phil Baroni; WTF!

Strikeforce working on Fedor Emelianenko vs. Ricco Rodriguez; HAHAHAHA WTF! You have got to be kidding me. Might as fight in side-shows. There is nothing at all for Fedor to gain out of this fight. He should destroy Ricco as quick as he disposed of Timmy. I think I'll root for an upset. Let's wait to see if this deal gets inked.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:23 AM   #9
ActionAndy
Dayman, Master of Karate

First Name: Andy
Trading: (7)
HdM
ActionAndy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
So the UFC dropped Tamdan McCrory and signed Phil Baroni; WTF!

Strikeforce working on Fedor Emelianenko vs. Ricco Rodriguez; HAHAHAHA WTF! You have got to be kidding me. Might as fight in side-shows. There is nothing at all for Fedor to gain out of this fight. He should destroy Ricco as quick as he disposed of Timmy. I think I'll root for an upset. Let's wait to see if this deal gets inked.

I went to the same college as Tamdan. Never talked to him but he did go to the same bar quite often. Kinda bummed to see him out, hopefully he finds a way to get resigned.
ActionAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 11:09 AM   #10
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
signed Phil Baroni
Fire up Chips!
Old 08-14-2009, 10:56 AM   #11
Steelergar

Too bad nick diaz isn't on the card tomorrow I was looking forward to it. But I just realized Melendez is fighting Ishida. I saw their fight at Yarenoka and Melendez clearly won that fight. Japanese homecooking gave him his 1st loss. I imagine Melendez is going to come out on fire. The American fans get to see Gregard Mousasi for the first time. I think this guy was fighter of the year last year. In 2008 he was 6-0 in mma 1-0 in kickboxing, won a stacked middleweight tournament, moved up to heavyweight and subed Mark Hunt, and he finished all his opponents except one (a olympic medal winner in Judo). It probably doesn't hurt that he trains at team red devil either. And the kid is only 24. Look forward to seeing Werdum as well. Even though he was KO'd by Santos, Werdum took a chance and got caught, that happens. He would still be a contender in the UFC. And I never watched a female mma fight before but cyborg sounds like a female Wandy and Santos is hot. I would like to see that Gracie girl too

Last edited by Steelergar; 08-14-2009 at 11:01 AM.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:23 PM   #12
Ken
Still Watching My Back

Quote:
I went to the same college as Tamdan.
Seems like a pretty good guy and he puts on good fights. He went into the UFC 8-0 and has been 3-3 while there. There's a big difference in how losses are looked at in the UFC compared to Pride. If you are fighting tough opponents you are going to pickup a loss here or here. But the guy comes to fight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelergar View Post
Too bad nick diaz isn't on the card tomorrow I was looking forward to it. But I just realized Melendez is fighting Ishida.The American fans get to see Gregard Mousasi And I never watched a female mma fight before but cyborg sounds like a female Wandy and Santos is hot. I would like to see that Gracie girl too
It is a shame Diaz is off the card. That guy has been putting up good wins. - Mousasi is tough and this is going to be a good fight. - Do you mean "Carano is hot". Cyborg is Santos.

D. White has stated that McCrory & Leites are back in the UFC, he's reversing who ever made that call.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:44 PM   #13
Steelergar

Quote:
- Do you mean "Carano is hot". Cyborg is Santos.

D. White has stated that McCrory & Leites are back in the UFC, he's reversing who ever made that call.
Hell yeah Cyborg is hot. Just kidding I meant Carano. Thats good that they brought back Thales. That guy is pretty good and trains with some top level fighters.
On another note I am not a fan of the California testing agency. They have been wrong in the past about positive test and I wouldn't be suprised if Barnett was clean for his fight. Royce Gracie tested positive for crying out loud. Athletes have higher levels than normal people. They need to test their DNA also to have an accurate result. For Diaz since when does THC make you a stronger fighter. And its banned by the California testing agency in a state where small possession is not a crime?
Old 08-14-2009, 12:30 PM   #14
sodomanaz

McCrory and Leites are back.
Old 08-15-2009, 10:22 PM   #15
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ian
Cohiba
BengalMan will become famous soon enoughBengalMan will become famous soon enough

Cyborg almost isn't fair, lol. Werdum looked slick, Melendez had an amazing game plan and utilized it to take the win. Melendez look great. Then there's Mousasi, who not many in the states know about, but I for one was pumped to finally see him over here. Making quick work of Babalu like that is no easy task. Mousasi is going to be a serious threat for many years to come.
BengalMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:26 AM   #16
Ken
Still Watching My Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalMan View Post
Mousasi is going to be a serious threat for many years to come.
The guy is badass. White seemed pissed they didn't land him in the UFC.

Quote:
Am I out of line thinking it was just a sloppy fight?
Nope! It was a bit sloppy with things went into the clinch & on the ground. I still liked the fight, though.

Quote:
supposedly will be posing for Playboy.
Carano has shot them down several times. damn!
Old 08-16-2009, 02:17 AM   #17
Steelergar

It was kind of tough watching hot carano get beat up. I would like to see Cyborg fight Faber. Werdum made it look easy. One of the coolest things about Mousasi is that he is so calm in the ring, even after he exploded on Babalu.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:34 AM   #18
ActionAndy
Dayman, Master of Karate

HdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelergar View Post
It was kind of tough watching hot carano get beat up. I would like to see Cyborg fight Faber. Werdum made it look easy. One of the coolest things about Mousasi is that he is so calm in the ring, even after he exploded on Babalu.
I know sexism is out of style but I don't think any woman could actually hang with an experienced male fighter. I enjoyed the Carano Cyborg fight but the entire time I kept thinking wow, these are the two best female fighters? Am I out of line thinking it was just a sloppy fight? Cyborg was mounted with very little resistance...and then Carano just stood up out of it. Some very odd decisions got made in that fight...
Old 08-16-2009, 11:39 PM   #19
RRocket
Still Watching My Back

RRocket is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionAndy View Post
I know sexism is out of style but I don't think any woman could actually hang with an experienced male fighter. I enjoyed the Carano Cyborg fight but the entire time I kept thinking wow, these are the two best female fighters? Am I out of line thinking it was just a sloppy fight? Cyborg was mounted with very little resistance...and then Carano just stood up out of it. Some very odd decisions got made in that fight...
Lucia Rijker actually fought Somchai Jaidee (a former male champion) after Rijker had destroyed nearly every woman she fought (36-0, 25 KO). Jaidee ending up KOing her in the 2nd round though. You can find the vid on YouTube. When Rijker was being trained by legendary trainer Freddie Roach, Rjiker floored one of Roach's male champs in sparring...though Freddie would never say who it was. She also did a piece for Discovery Channel Fight Science. Lucia and a male boxer, both 140 lbs, left hooked a blind folded MMA fighter, and the fighter said Lucia's punch was harder. She is the toughest female fighter I've ever seen..and her style is the cleanest most "male like" I've ever seen. When she was in her prime against the right guy, I could definitely see her coming out on top.

As far as Carano..I never thought she was as much into MMA for fighting as she was to advance her career into acting/TV/modelling/whatever. She's been over-weight for several weigh-ins, left MMA for awhile to be an American Gladiator and is reputed to have gotten a "boob job" and supposedly will be posing for Playboy. This doesn't sound like someone who's #1 focus is MMA. To me she looked gassed by 2 minutes of the round. From then I though it would only be a matter of time..and it was.
RRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:11 AM   #20
ActionAndy
Dayman, Master of Karate

HdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRocket View Post
Lucia Rijker actually fought Somchai Jaidee (a former male champion) after Rijker had destroyed nearly every woman she fought (36-0, 25 KO). Jaidee ending up KOing her in the 2nd round though. You can find the vid on YouTube. When Rijker was being trained by legendary trainer Freddie Roach, Rjiker floored one of Roach's male champs in sparring...though Freddie would never say who it was. She also did a piece for Discovery Channel Fight Science. Lucia and a male boxer, both 140 lbs, left hooked a blind folded MMA fighter, and the fighter said Lucia's punch was harder. She is the toughest female fighter I've ever seen..and her style is the cleanest most "male like" I've ever seen. When she was in her prime against the right guy, I could definitely see her coming out on top.

As far as Carano..I never thought she was as much into MMA for fighting as she was to advance her career into acting/TV/modelling/whatever. She's been over-weight for several weigh-ins, left MMA for awhile to be an American Gladiator and is reputed to have gotten a "boob job" and supposedly will be posing for Playboy. This doesn't sound like someone who's #1 focus is MMA. To me she looked gassed by 2 minutes of the round. From then I though it would only be a matter of time..and it was.
Thanks I'll go check for those clips! And yeah, Carano was definitely gassed.