Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Health and Fitness

Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 08:52 AM   #401
King James
Regard Me!

First Name: Jim
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
King James has disabled reputation
Default Re: Pumping Iron with Zemekone and Icehog3

I just need/want to get on a decent cocktail for lifting... Really only take protein and WF now. Maybe start up w/ the jet fuels if I start running
Old 11-24-2008, 02:08 PM   #402
Genetic Defect
difetosso

First Name: Perry
Trading: (5)
VR
Genetic Defect has disabled reputation

Jim don't you bulk then cut?
Old 11-24-2008, 02:08 PM   #403
Genetic Defect
difetosso

VR

Got my goods in today will try the Dren alone for the next couple of days to see how it makes me feel.
Old 11-24-2008, 03:51 PM   #404
BigFrank
5 3 1

First Name: Frank
Trading: (25)
Partagas
BigFrank will become famous soon enough

Let me know how the Dren works Vito, ive never been a big fan of fat burners / energy pills.

Workout Tonight was disappointing
Sumo Deadlifts 485x5 - 505x3 - 530x2 ( got the 3rd rep to about 1/2 point right above the knee then it got stuck ) At this point I got insanely pissed threw my belt down kicked some inanimate objects then sat down. 5rm and 3rm pulled very smooth. I think on the 3rd pull I got tired and threw my hips forward to early.

-Pull-Ups superset with db rows
rear delt raises
Good mornings superset with hammer curls
(all above done 3 sets 10 reps)
Been following a new routine.Less time in gym been gaining some good strength right away.
Old 11-24-2008, 03:57 PM   #405
BigFrank
5 3 1

Partagas

Heres the Program ive been following in a nutt shell.

Week #1 5RM 85%
Week #2 3RM 90%
Week #3 1RM 95%
Week #4 6RM 70%

Weeks #1-2 are done 3 sets at 5RM and 3RM Week #3 is done 5RM - 3RM - 1RM ( performed for reps )
Week #4 is a deload week but is totally optional.
After 4th week, add 5-10lbs to bench 10-20lbs on squat and deadlift.
Three days a week, Mon- Deadlift Weds-Bench Fri-squats
A 4th day is optional but would be light assistance work and stretching.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:36 PM   #406
GhostRyder
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Sam
Trading: (2)
GhostRyder is on a distinguished road

So I'm trying to get back into my lifting form after I slimmed down a bit for my marathon. Any advice on what lifts to get back into right away? I'll definitely be deadlifting, but other than that I don't know where to go. I feel like this is sort of a clean slate. I think I want to build some explosiveness/power, but I need to be able to max a Marine Corps PFT/CFT so I can't neglect my running. Any ideas?
Old 11-24-2008, 10:28 PM   #407
Sanitariumite
Bloodied but unbowed

First Name: Adam
Trading: (0)
Army (Active)
Sanitariumite is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostRyder View Post
So I'm trying to get back into my lifting form after I slimmed down a bit for my marathon. Any advice on what lifts to get back into right away? I'll definitely be deadlifting, but other than that I don't know where to go. I feel like this is sort of a clean slate. I think I want to build some explosiveness/power, but I need to be able to max a Marine Corps PFT/CFT so I can't neglect my running. Any ideas?
Damn, that's a tall order! What do you do in the Marines that requires a perfect PFT? I'm freaking out about getting to a 225 within 3-4 months to apply for OCS.
Old 11-25-2008, 03:23 AM   #408
BigFrank
5 3 1

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostRyder View Post
I'd recommend a powerlifting / combine routine for starters. Heres one that is geared towards explosiveness and running / conditioning. For the assistance work I would just use bodyweight type lifts, I know pull ups etc are big for military. Weighted push ups etc.

Heres a template laid out for you,. This could be changed to fit work etc. gives you a good idea though.
MONDAY (A.M.) - MAX-EFFORT Upper Body lift
MONDAY (P.M.) - Sprint work, conditioning, GPP or skill training
TUESDAY - OFF or Restoration techniques
WEDNESDAY - Sprint work, conditioning, GPP or skill training
THURSDAY - REPETITION Upper Body lift
FRIDAY - Sprint work, conditioning, GPP or skill training
SATURDAY - Lower Body lift
SUNDAY - OFF or Restoration techniques

Heres a few links
http://www.defrancostraining.com/art...s_westside.htm
http://www.defrancostraining.com/art..._westside2.htm
http://www.defrancostraining.com/articles/articles.htm
Old 11-25-2008, 03:46 AM   #409
cvm4
Still Watching My Back

cvm4 is on a distinguished road

Going to try to do legs and shoulders today. I'm working with a short week so some workouts are going to get stacked.
Old 11-25-2008, 04:32 AM   #410
Genetic Defect
difetosso

VR

started Dren this morning will report later
Old 11-25-2008, 01:02 PM   #411
Sanitariumite
Bloodied but unbowed

Army (Active)

I think I might have strained something, so I wanted to see if this sounds familiar to any of you guys. I tried a new rep/set method I read about in Muscle & Fitness where you do 3 sets of 7 reps at a heavy weight, and finish with a 4th set of 25-30 reps at a lighter weight to help build strength. I did my 3 sets of 7 reps of squats at just over 200lbs and felt fine, and after 23 reps at just over 100lbs I had to stop because I thought I was going to pass out. It's this throbbing pain in the base of my skull, right where the top of my neck starts, it was so intense I honestly thought I might black out. This was 2 nights ago, and both yesterday and today anytime my heart rate is even slightly elevated (Riding a my bike on level ground, walking up/down stairs, etc.) It starts throbbing. It's some of the worst pain I've ever experienced, and I don't know if it's a headache, or a migraine, or if I strained something. Does this sound familiar to any of you guys? If it's not better within 2-3 days I'm going to a doctor.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:42 PM   #412
BigFrank
5 3 1

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanitariumite View Post
I think I might have strained something, so I wanted to see if this sounds familiar to any of you guys. I tried a new rep/set method I read about in Muscle & Fitness where you do 3 sets of 7 reps at a heavy weight, and finish with a 4th set of 25-30 reps at a lighter weight to help build strength. I did my 3 sets of 7 reps of squats at just over 200lbs and felt fine, and after 23 reps at just over 100lbs I had to stop because I thought I was going to pass out. It's this throbbing pain in the base of my skull, right where the top of my neck starts, it was so intense I honestly thought I might black out. This was 2 nights ago, and both yesterday and today anytime my heart rate is even slightly elevated (Riding a my bike on level ground, walking up/down stairs, etc.) It starts throbbing. It's some of the worst pain I've ever experienced, and I don't know if it's a headache, or a migraine, or if I strained something. Does this sound familiar to any of you guys? If it's not better within 2-3 days I'm going to a doctor.
I had the same thing happen to me doing drop sets on the leg press. Exact same pain everything down to the letter of what you are describing. I just took a week off from lifting and the pain went away. Id give it a little time and if it doesnt go away or gets worse see a doctor. Im not 100% sure what the hell that is.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:44 PM   #413
Sanitariumite
Bloodied but unbowed

Army (Active)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFrank View Post
I had the same thing happen to me doing drop sets on the leg press. Exact same pain everything down to the letter of what you are describing. I just took a week off from lifting and the pain went away. Id give it a little time and if it doesnt go away or gets worse see a doctor. Im not 100% sure what the hell that is.
I guess I'll just be taking time off until it's better then. Weak.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:49 PM   #414
BigFrank
5 3 1

Partagas

Quote:
I guess I'll just be taking time off until it's better then. Weak.
ya i hate taking time off, but look at it this way ya got the holiday week two days away. Enjoy yourself on turkey day, drink a few beers, and watch some football. Relax. I'd say plan on hitting the gym Monday. 6 days is a reasonable amount. Not to mention you are going to be in a high caloric state, matched with massive naps!
Old 11-25-2008, 01:59 PM   #415
zonedar

I've been struggling with something very similar. I would go to work out and get a stunning headache. After a few days I couldn't even get through a warm-up on the stairmaster without stopping and staring at my toes as I counted my heart rate via the pulsing in my skull. Also was a ***** during sex! Thought my eye was going to fly out of it's socket. Would last for a few hours.

Thought it might be a sinus infection, so I finally went to the doc to see if I could get something to help. Told her the symtoms. She says it probably nothing, but I needed to get an MRI, asap. That night I had my head in a giganitc electro-magnet. Headaches brought on by exertion are a warning sign.

The MRI came up clear. That was about two months ago. I still am getting the head aches, but the frequency and intensity are way down. Can get by with an ibuprofen if it's bad.

So, you should see a doctor and make sure that it's not something serious. Probably not, but better to be safe than sorry.

Turns

Old 11-25-2008, 02:02 PM   #416
Genetic Defect
difetosso

VR

Quote:
I remember one guy doing a workout like that, he is built
Old 11-25-2008, 02:06 PM   #417
Sanitariumite
Bloodied but unbowed

Army (Active)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Vito View Post
I remember one guy doing a workout like that, he is built
They were raving about the rep/set structure in Muscle & Fitness as being one of the most efficient ways to build strength. I thought I'd give it a shot, and all feels great, except for my damn neck/head throbbing pain. I'm going to stick with this structure for a few months. I'll keep you guys posted as to how it's working as far as increasing strength.
Old 11-25-2008, 02:07 PM   #418
BigFrank
5 3 1

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonedar View Post
I've been struggling with something very similar. I would go to work out and get a stunning headache. After a few days I couldn't even get through a warm-up on the stairmaster without stopping and staring at my toes as I counted my heart rate via the pulsing in my skull. Also was a ***** during sex! Thought my eye was going to fly out of it's socket. Would last for a few hours.

Thought it might be a sinus infection, so I finally went to the doc to see if I could get something to help. Told her the symtoms. She says it probably nothing, but I needed to get an MRI, asap. That night I had my head in a giganitc electro-magnet. Headaches brought on by exertion are a warning sign.

The MRI came up clear. That was about two months ago. I still am getting the head aches, but the frequency and intensity are way down. Can get by with an ibuprofen if it's bad.

So, you should see a doctor and make sure that it's not something serious. Probably not, but better to be safe than sorry.

Turns
That sound more like a high blood pressure symptom. Sani's problem sound more like a strain.
Old 11-25-2008, 02:08 PM   #419
BigFrank
5 3 1

Partagas

Quote:
They were raving about the rep/set structure in Muscle & Fitness as being one of the most efficient ways to build strength. I thought I'd give it a shot, and all feels great, except for my damn neck/head throbbing pain. I'm going to stick with this structure for a few months. I'll keep you guys posted as to how it's working as far as increasing strength.
If you want to build strength heres three steps.
#1 Dont read how to get strong in a magazine
#2 Get a good powerlifting program and stick to it.
#3 Eat a lot
Old 11-25-2008, 02:08 PM   #420
Genetic Defect
difetosso

VR

Dren Day 1:
woke up about 5:15 am took on an empty stomach

Energy: was like drinking coffee all day woke me up and kept me going at a steady pace. I usually drink 4-5 cups of coffee at work none needed today.

Appetite Suppressant: worked very well for this, did not eat much today and am not hungry.

Mood:kept me happy even when talking economy and politics.

overall the first day was a good one did what I expected
Closed Thread