Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 10-06-2009, 12:29 PM   #401
Veritas
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Gregory
Trading: (1)
Partagas AirForce (Active)
Veritas is on a distinguished road
Default Re: iPhone Cigar App RELEASED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aich75013 View Post
If you add it as a new cigar (rather than just changing the #) you can have two or more different prices. They can show as purchased from different locations as well as dates.
I like this because it helps me remember that I paid $x from one location and $y from another.
I guess that would work, it's just that I don't know which one ($x or $y) I'm smoking unless they are from my locker at my standard B&M - all NC locker sticks are ones I bought there.

That is handy for comparing prices from more than one source. It is also a good method for keeping up with how long a particular cigar has been aging. I think I'll use it. I will also try to keep multiples separated so I know their age.
Veritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 01:44 PM   #402
KenS
When do I get my meds?

Trading: (26)
Partagas
KenS has a spectacular aura aboutKenS has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addiction View Post
Ken,

A few suggestions:

- A concept of boxes would be nice, like a total box count or something like that. Maybe even expand the humidor to know what it can hold so I can see where I am against capacity.
This is one that I haven't heard before. Not sure what that implementation would look like, without becoming very complex. Got any detailed suggestions on how it might look?

Quote:
- An attribute that holds market value which can be more or less than I paid.
The core database actually has two price fields in it, but I've only exposed one of them in the app so far. I had envisioned a "price paid" and an "msrp", but it feels like very heavy maintenance. Do users really want to track that level of detail? Actually, this may take care of itself, as I'm working on the next version that will allow each user to choose what fields to show for their own copy of the app. That way, people who don't care about all of the fields can simplify it, but those that like the gory details can have that too.

Quote:
- A way to get this information from the iPhone to somethign else in case I want to publish a list or I need a record of my collection.
Another feature coming in the next version is the ability to email your humidor contents (to yourself or others) as a text file to import into something like Excel. It will allow you to choose which humidors and which fields to email, so should give some good flexibility.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:45 PM   #403
KenS
When do I get my meds?

Partagas

Quote:
One more Ken, a way to copy a box. Like normally I buy boxes in quantities of more than one so to simply be able to hit a button and copy date, source etc would be great.
Good idea . I'll add it to the list
Old 10-06-2009, 01:46 PM   #404
KenS
When do I get my meds?

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by massphatness View Post
And a link to Bryan's credit card account would be cool too.
No doubt about it, the best ideas for this app keep coming from Vin
Old 10-06-2009, 01:48 PM   #405
KenS
When do I get my meds?

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Elrod View Post
This is the first app that I have paid for and I must say that I'm very pleased with it. Great job, Ken.

Are there any plans for an archive of "smoked cigars?" I don't know the mechanics of the code, so I don't know if this would be a colossal update or a simple tweak. I'm envisioning something that takes the current date/time from when I click "Smoke one" and puts it into a list of cigars that are forever a memory. This might be outside the intent of this app, but would be a welcome addition.
A more complete smoking notes capability is still high on the list. One of these days soon, I'll actually get it done
Old 10-06-2009, 02:42 PM   #406
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ian
Trading: (10)
Cohiba
BengalMan will become famous soon enoughBengalMan will become famous soon enough

Ken, just downloaded the app, great job! Is there a way for users to add cigars to the database? I'd like to add Cain and Nub Maduro. I see you can add cigars to our list, but does it update the actual database or just our app?
BengalMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 03:34 PM   #407
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalMan View Post
Ken, just downloaded the app, great job! Is there a way for users to add cigars to the database? I'd like to add Cain and Nub Maduro. I see you can add cigars to our list, but does it update the actual database or just our app?
Ken made this really easy to do -- just select Cuban or Non-Cuban in the reference and click on the "New Cigar" button at the bottom. Fill out the info and you are all done!
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 04:22 PM   #408
McSmokey
Feeling at Home

First Name: Justin
Trading: (30)
LGC
McSmokey will become famous soon enough

Cigars you add are only added to your phone however you can post brandshere or send ken the info and he will add it to the database when he has time
McSmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 05:48 PM   #409
KenS
When do I get my meds?

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSmokey View Post
Cigars you add are only added to your phone however you can post brandshere or send ken the info and he will add it to the database when he has time
Yep, anybody can add cigars to their own copy, but if you want to help out the rest of the users, let me know and I could send you a spreadsheet template to fill in the info. I would then upload that to the online database so everybody would benefit. I've sent the template to quite a few people, but only a few have taken the time to gather the info and return it to me. I guess they find out just how much time and effort it really takes

Let me know what brands you are interested in, and I can add them to my to-do list as well.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:00 PM   #410
McSmokey
Feeling at Home

First Name: Justin
Trading: (30)
LGC
McSmokey will become famous soon enough

Didn't know we could get the template.... PM sent with my email hook me up ken
McSmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 06:09 PM   #411
Addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Elrod View Post

On the topic of amount paid, what happens if I buy more of a cigar that I already have but pay a different amount? Does the new amount overwrite the old or is there a weighted average?
Right now if you have Avo 80ths (A) and you enter more Avo 80ths (B) A and B are separate animals as they should be. When A is instantiated its its own entity. There is no function for "What did I pay for all my Avo 80ths and what is the average price for them?"

That function I'd guess is probably a new version of the app since there would be other rudimentary math functions you'd prolly want to expose as part of it, in fact it could be a separate app tho I'd personally prefer if it was the same app and he raised the price a bit.

Think of it as rows in a spread sheet with each row representing an entry.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:12 PM   #412
Addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenS View Post
Yep, anybody can add cigars to their own copy, but if you want to help out the rest of the users, let me know and I could send you a spreadsheet template to fill in the info. I would then upload that to the online database so everybody would benefit. I've sent the template to quite a few people, but only a few have taken the time to gather the info and return it to me. I guess they find out just how much time and effort it really takes

Let me know what brands you are interested in, and I can add them to my to-do list as well.
My own two cents, unless this thing is selling like hotcakes I'd simply let people add to their own copies and do database updates a little less frequently. At this point you have like 2800 cigars represented, thats a pretty fair number.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:02 PM   #413
KenS
When do I get my meds?

Partagas

Quote:
My own two cents, unless this thing is selling like hotcakes I'd simply let people add to their own copies and do database updates a little less frequently. At this point you have like 2800 cigars represented, thats a pretty fair number.
Actually, we are just short of 3,000 cigars currently, if you tap the update button

This is the advantage of developing this as more of a hobby than a business, since I keep trying to make it better even though I'm not getting any money for the updates I do. Certainly not selling "like hotcakes", but I've been pleasantly surprised by the steady sales (about 8 to 10 per day for the past few weeks). If I were doing this as a business, I would have moved on to a new app in order to increase my income, but I do enjoy getting suggestions and continuing to add features. Oh, and because I love you guys
Old 10-06-2009, 07:04 PM   #414
KenS
When do I get my meds?

Partagas

Quote:
Right now if you have Avo 80ths (A) and you enter more Avo 80ths (B) A and B are separate animals as they should be. When A is instantiated its its own entity. There is no function for "What did I pay for all my Avo 80ths and what is the average price for them?"

That function I'd guess is probably a new version of the app since there would be other rudimentary math functions you'd prolly want to expose as part of it, in fact it could be a separate app tho I'd personally prefer if it was the same app and he raised the price a bit.

Think of it as rows in a spread sheet with each row representing an entry.
Well, with the new version I'm working on, you'll be able to export (via email) your whole inventory into a spreadsheet, and you can calculate 'til your heart's content
Old 10-06-2009, 07:10 PM   #415
Addiction

Cool beans. I sold a couple today I believe through word of mouth. The app rocks!
Old 10-06-2009, 07:13 PM   #416
KenS
When do I get my meds?

Partagas

Quote:
Cool beans. I sold a couple today I believe through word of mouth. The app rocks!
Thank you sir. Word of mouth is what it's all about .

of course, word of <other body parts> is far less effective
Old 10-06-2009, 07:17 PM   #417
Mark
Tarheel.

First Name: Mark
Trading: (1)
Bolivar
Mark will become famous soon enough

Any chance on a BlackBerry version?
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 07:20 PM   #418
Addiction

One other thing I'd love to see since I think you may still be reading. A way to move cigars from wishlist to humidor once you make the purchase.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:54 PM   #419
KenS
When do I get my meds?

Partagas

Quote:
One other thing I'd love to see since I think you may still be reading. A way to move cigars from wishlist to humidor once you make the purchase.
Yup, and a way to move cigars between humidors easily. Just takes a while to come up with the user interface that keeps the app easy to use, without becoming too complex or cluttered. It's on the list (familiar refrain )
Old 10-06-2009, 07:57 PM   #420
KenS
When do I get my meds?

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
Any chance on a BlackBerry version?
Short answer: nope.
Longer answer: nope.

If you read through the thread, you'll see that this is often asked (including recently). BB is a completely different beast to program for, and frankly doesn't have the user interface capabilities of the iPhone (I use both every day, so this is not an attempt to start a BB vs. iPhone debate).