Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 12-31-2012, 03:13 PM   #21
Scottw
Going Commando

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: LP - Is it me?

Todd, the first 9 I smoked was amazing IMO, the half dozen I have smoked since where underwhelming. I liked my first Undercrown, disliked the rest. I loved the T52 pig but don't care for the robusto. Who knows. As Tom said and you know.....smoke what you like. I can think of better things than to be in love with a cigar that retails for 12 bucks. I'll stick with my 5 dollar boli pcs.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:30 PM   #22
cmitch
Heads up get down

First Name: Clayton
Trading: (25)
Montecristo
cmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
I am a HUGE fan of the LP No. 9 !! Now the, the T52...not so much. As for the Undercrown, the only one that I've thoroughly and completely enjoyed was the Corona Viva...and this size WOWED me , the other sizes were "ok" at best.

I, too, am a HUGE fan of a lot of Litto Gomez stuff, but I think the Air Bender is complete garbage. I have smoked 6-7 of them, different sizes (maduro included) and have been, to quote you, "completely and totally underwhelmed by them". I guess it all goes back to the old adage "Smoke what you like, like what you smoke!"
How was the UF-4? As for me, they were not what I expected. Underwhelming is a good term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottw
Todd, the first 9 I smoked was amazing IMO, the half dozen I have smoked since where underwhelming. I liked my first Undercrown, disliked the rest. I loved the T52 pig but don't care for the robusto. Who knows. As Tom said and you know.....smoke what you like. I can think of better things than to be in love with a cigar that retails for 12 bucks. I'll stick with my 5 dollar boli pcs.
The FFP I think is the best stick of the bunch.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:31 PM   #23
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitch View Post
How was the UF-4? As for me, they were not what I expected. Underwhelming is a good term.
Actually Clayton, I just today moved it into my travel humi to torch within the next few VCM herfs.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:41 PM   #24
cmitch
Heads up get down

First Name: Clayton
Trading: (25)
Montecristo
cmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nice

Quote:
Actually Clayton, I just today moved it into my travel humi to torch within the next few VCM herfs.
I have 5 left. Needed age even tho they were released in fall of '11. I hope they get better.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:29 PM   #25
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBear View Post
The first run of undercrowns were great, nice oily wrappers, great spice to em with a touch of earthiness. Then the second and subsequent runs came in and they all flat out sucked. The coronas are the only ones to maintain any sort of consistency from batch to batch and are a solid smoke, but I could never smoke another of the other sizes and be perfectly happy.

If you didnt like the 9s then steer clear of the papas fritas, theyre a 9 just not as sweet. It all comes down to the old saying, smoke what you like, like what you smoke. There are a number of talked a bout sticks I love, and for every one of those theres one talked about stick I cant stand
That's exactly what I say below. I started the thread to see if I was the only one out there. And, as much to start a conversation as anything else.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:32 PM   #26
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
If anything, I'd say I've been underwhelmed by all this stuff.
I get real bored with a one-dimensional stick, and these are great at that. The flavor isn't something that grabbed me and made me forget how one-dimensional they were, but they were okay.
When I smoked them, I kept thinking "it doesn't taste like tobacco" for whatever reason. I can't hardly explain it, but they didn't strike me as something I've become used to. They didn't make me want more, either.
Add to that the premium price and it made the whole lineup undesirable to me.

I can easily see why guys would like the cigars, and I can see where the value is in them. They just didn't/don't trip my trigger despite wanting to like them.
I put some away to see how they do with a little time, but I don't expect much. I imagine they'll just mellow, and I feel that they're one of those cigars that's at it's best new.
I have noticed a number of cigars that get wimpier with age. Some mellow and smooth out. Most lose the sharp edges (if I can say it that way) to their unique flavor profiles.

So Scott, I know you think that Oliva Vs age well, what do you think about the Litto Gomez stuff, especially the LGD and Coronado lines?

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:40 PM   #27
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

I agree with you bro. Most of the trendy cigars just do not appeal to me. At lest not for their price points. I feel very strongly about that with regards to Liga/Tat. They are damn good smokes for half their MSRP.
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:46 PM   #28
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
I am a HUGE fan of the LP No. 9 !! Now the, the T52...not so much. As for the Undercrown, the only one that I've thoroughly and completely enjoyed was the Corona Viva...and this size WOWED me , the other sizes were "ok" at best.

I, too, am a HUGE fan of a lot of Litto Gomez stuff, but I think the Air Bender is complete garbage. I have smoked 6-7 of them, different sizes (maduro included) and have been, to quote you, "completely and totally underwhelmed by them". I guess it all goes back to the old adage "Smoke what you like, like what you smoke!"
Interesting view on the Air Bender in comparison. Compared to the LGs, Coronados, and Small Batch, I've only had a couple - in fact just one of each size. I haven't bought any of them yet, only because financed haven't favored me doing so. Maybe I need to revisit them before a box purchase.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:46 PM   #29
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
The reason I bring this up, and I am not trying to be a "hater," is because everybody's tastes are different. Having said that, it appears I am the only one who isn't on the band wagon with the LP/Undercrown lines.

They all have a great aesthetic appeal, for the are amazing looking sticks. I have even enjoyed the room note that the T52 line produces. I really want to like these cigars. But having said that, I found that I was not impressed with any that I have tried. To me they were strong and one-dimensional, leaving me quickly disinterested. They had some interesting flavors to begin, but I got bored with them fairly quickly.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Right around when the T-52 was first coming out or maybe even a bit before, Steve Saka and I were having a conversation about the 52, the then upcoming Dirty Rat and a few other projects that they were working on at DE and he made a comment that went something like "Invariably, if you make a cigar that everyone likes, you've made a cigar that no one will love."

The converse is also true, in making a cigar that appeals so strongly to some smoker's tastes that they "love" it, you've made a cigar that is not going to be to everyone's tastes.

So you don't like the Liga Privada line. No big deal, not everyone is going to love it. Maybe someday they will release something that you do like, or, maybe that day will never come. Who knows?
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:01 AM   #30
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
I wouldn't worry about it.

Right around when the T-52 was first coming out or maybe even a bit before, Steve Saka and I were having a conversation about the 52, the then upcoming Dirty Rat and a few other projects that they were working on at DE and he made a comment that went something like "Invariably, if you make a cigar that everyone likes, you've made a cigar that no one will love."

The converse is also true, in making a cigar that appeals so strongly to some smoker's tastes that they "love" it, you've made a cigar that is not going to be to everyone's tastes.

So you don't like the Liga Privada line. No big deal, not everyone is going to love it. Maybe someday they will release something that you do like, or, maybe that day will never come. Who knows?
I am not exactly "worried" about it. Was simply curious if I was alone in my estimation of the LPs. And, as I said earlier, it was also something of a conversatin starter.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:46 PM   #31
Gabe215
Have My Own Room

First Name: Gabe
Trading: (20)
Gabe215 has a spectacular aura aboutGabe215 has a spectacular aura aboutGabe215 has a spectacular aura about

I totally agree with undercrown, have never liked them, find them barely smokeable, have actually been wanting to revisit the ¡Viva! Soon because I always hear praise for it so I will give it a second shot on a night that I am willing to take a chance. T52 were good but not worth the coin, and the L40 was a let down especially since I love the size.... but love 9s, Baitfish, FFP Dirty Rats, A's.
Gabe215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:00 PM   #32
MajorCaptSilly
Sklee

First Name: Scott
Trading: (30)
Bolivar
MajorCaptSilly has disabled reputation

I tried the #9 when it came out. Didn't like it and never tried any of the others. May try them some day but am not in a rush.

MCS
Old 01-02-2013, 07:18 AM   #33
dave
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (15)
Partagas Navy (Retired)
dave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the rough

T52 - First one I tried was best cigar I'd ever had to that point. Ambient enviromment no doubt affected experience. But, all I've had since have been very enjoyable, if never quite approaching initial one.
LP9 - Never had a bad one. Never had one blow me away either. I won't pay retail for them.
Dirty Rat - Always enjoyed; worth retail to try - or on the rare occassion I come across one, but won't seek them out and won't buy any to have around.
Pigs - Meh.
FFP - Had first one yesterday. Great 9 dollar cigar. Unfortunately, I paid $23 for two in CA, and $18 for two here in VA. I won't buy another. Great combo of smooth/sweet/pepper....but not very complex, IMHO.
Undercrown - Like, not love. I like these OK at under $100/box. One of VERY few San Andres wrapped cigars I enjoy. Not one to sit and contemplate, however. Good knockaround cigar to enjoy while doing something else.
dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:02 PM   #34
Stevez
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Steve
Trading: (7)
HUpmann
Stevez will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJarv View Post
Have you had the Undercrown corona Todd? I thought that this little stick was quite good for the price (can be had for $5/cigar). To me they seem to have flavor changes.
I do buy them occassionally and have tried many of them. The FFP was the best in my opinion, but certainly not worth $15/stick. Just bought a 5ver of the Undercrown corona's and have had two and I agree they are very tasty. Great looking cigar, great burn and great flavor. Not sure that my palate is sophisticated enough to notice multiple dimensions to be honest; just know that I liked them. To me the worst one was the T52's.
Stevez is offline   Reply With Quote