Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 02-11-2012, 04:35 PM   #21
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

First Name: Brian
Trading: (10)
ApexAZ will become famous soon enoughApexAZ will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Training taste buds.

Do you try to limit the retrohale? I try and blow most out through the mouth while letting some out through the nose. Maybe about 1/3 through the nose.
ApexAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 04:57 PM   #22
oooo35980
Feeling at Home

First Name: Isaiah
Trading: (3)
Montecristo Navy (Disabled Vet)
oooo35980 will become famous soon enough

I read somewhere to exhale 80-90% of the smoke then start the retrohale, unfortunately it isn't an exact science, sometimes I get out of it with a mild sinus irritation, sometimes my eyes tear up, and sometimes it feels like an m-80 just went off in my head. Either way it isn't pleasant, tolerable most of the time, but never pleasant.
oooo35980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:55 PM   #23
lenguamor
puta por Ninfas!

First Name: Joe
Trading: (23)
PL
lenguamor will become famous soon enoughlenguamor will become famous soon enough

Something I forgot to mention but it's important: purge.

Every few puffs, purge the cigar. You'll find that it helps clear out a lot of the charry/burned tastes that can occur as a result of lighting or re-lighting.

Purge, then sip—then retrohale. Try that and see if it doesn't make "nose smoking" a whole new experience for you.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:56 PM   #24
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trading: (159)
Trinidad
wayner123 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by oooo35980 View Post
I read somewhere to exhale 80-90% of the smoke then start the retrohale, unfortunately it isn't an exact science, sometimes I get out of it with a mild sinus irritation, sometimes my eyes tear up, and sometimes it feels like an m-80 just went off in my head. Either way it isn't pleasant, tolerable most of the time, but never pleasant.
You should read that third link I posted and give it a try.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:48 AM   #25
Sonic04GT
Feeling at Home

First Name: Chris
Trading: (0)
Army (Served With Honor)
Sonic04GT will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by oooo35980 View Post
I enjoy the smoke they just don't seem to remind me of anything but tobacco and smoke.
Amen brotha, amen. I've had about 30 cigars and all I really taste is tobacco, unless I'm smoking an infused cigar. I can tell the subtle differences to at least say what I don't like. I've only had like 2 cigars though that I could say I actually didn't like.
Sonic04GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:02 AM   #26
J.Rawls

The retrohale is very important in discerning tastes and flavors because of the connectivity of perceived tastes and smell. The two are connected to discern thousands of different flavors,.....if you are to eliminate one or the other the flavor spectrum is diminished substantially. Without retrohaling or using your sinus cavity, one is pretty much left only tasting the basic astebud stimuli such as sweet, bitter, sour, salty, and umami. Just using the tongue will limit your ability to discern flavors. It's a medical fact.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:19 AM   #27
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexAZ View Post
Do you try to limit the retrohale? I try and blow most out through the mouth while letting some out through the nose. Maybe about 1/3 through the nose.
I expel 70-90% through the nose. Depending on the cigar. It has become involuntary and I can't not do it anymore. Full, deep, rich flavors become very present. I know it burns but the more you do it, the less it burns. I very rarely find a cigar that burns anymore.

And yes J.Rawls, you are 100% correct. We would be screwed without our olfactory system.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:08 AM   #28
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trading: (159)
Trinidad
wayner123 has disabled reputation

Retrohaling is NOT the only way to get the desired results from olfactory senses. Furthermore, if you really want to get scientific with it, orthonasal actually stimulates more.

NCradioman, we have had this same discussion before: http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...light=olfac%2A

It's not a matter of if it works. It's a matter of how well it works. Especially in some people with sensitive sinuses, or allergies. Another aspect of the problem, is that if the mental link of that "flavor" is not there, no amount of retrohaling will increase the chances of naming that flavor.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:35 AM   #29
oooo35980
Feeling at Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner123 View Post
Retrohaling is NOT the only way to get the desired results from olfactory senses. Furthermore, if you really want to get scientific with it, orthonasal actually stimulates more.

NCradioman, we have had this same discussion before: http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...light=olfac%2A

It's not a matter of if it works. It's a matter of how well it works. Especially in some people with sensitive sinuses, or allergies. Another aspect of the problem, is that if the mental link of that "flavor" is not there, no amount of retrohaling will increase the chances of naming that flavor.
You might be right about the mental link thing, I'm the type of guy that says things like "you know, that guy from that movie" all the time and I can remember faces no problem but can never remember names or where I know people from. My brain is a bit fried from all the heavy drink in I did in my early twenties.

That being said if there is a way to get the effect of retrohaling without the pain I'm game for it. Retrohaling is easy to do and makes the cigar taste different but it is still very unpleasant. For me anyway.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:23 PM   #30
kuzi16
the one and only

Trading: (1)
SCdlH
kuzi16 is on a distinguished road

to me it is all about understanding flavors themselves. how can you tell if there is a hazelnut flavor if you have no idea what a hazelnut tastes like.

get yourself familiar with common flavors in cigars.

pay attention to your food and drinks. dont just eat and drink them. actively taste them.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:01 PM   #31
Reaver2145

Do you cleanse your pallet before you smoke as i find with some of the more mild sticks such as el ray de mundo,sancho panza,some of the hoyo line if i eat a few salted dry crackers and have a small glass of club soda with a lemon twist it really helps bring out the flavours.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:05 PM   #32
oooo35980
Feeling at Home

I usually use pure clean water when I smoke, I haven't ever tried saltines but I might now that you mention it, it does make sense.