Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 09-23-2011, 09:18 AM   #21
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
WHY ARE YOU YELLING ABOUT ACIDS! Don't you know that you can type ACID with just the "A" capitalized? I don't go on and on about PARTAGAS and RAMON ALLONES by yelling, Peter. You really need to stop shouting about ACIDS.

Sorry, Tom. How's this?
Posted via Mobile Device
pnoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:20 AM   #22
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Re: Packs or Boxes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PindarsLight View Post
Thanks guy I'm pretty glad I got referred to such a professional and honest forum not to many of these anymore. I like cigars but as I said I wanna keep it at a minium I'm a very simplistic individual so the 50 count is right up my alley. Thanks again gents

Something to consider, which I should have explained as the reason for why I suggested a 150, is that a 50 count humidor probably won't hold 50 cigars unless they are corona-ish sized vitolas - 40 to 44 RG and 4.5" to 5.5" in length. Once you start filling a humidor with larger cigars, like toros, robustos, belicosos, churchills, 6x60s, you will find that most 50-count humidors will only hold about 30-40. Whereas most 150s will hold about 120 or so if jam packed, but with the extra space, you won't have to pack it, as packing it tight is something that you might not want to do because when you start moving cigars around a lot to get to specific sticks, you start upping the chances of damaging the wrappers on the cigars.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:27 AM   #23
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by longknocker View Post
Buy A Large Tupperware Container & Put One 65% Boveda Pack In It Every 3 Months. My Co-Workers Have Been Using These For Years. Cheap As Dirt & Works Well!
Here's A Link: http://www.bovedadirect.com/
I'm with Greg, 100%.
A tupperware container with a Boveda pack is going to keep your cigars in perfect shape. Odds are that a cheap desktop will not.
If you find that this is something that you'll enjoy down the road and want a nice desktop humidor, you can start saving and buy one that will actually work. You can even modify a cheapo and make it seal well enough to keep your smokes in a nice, airtight, humidity controlled environment, which is what you're after with a humidor.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:55 AM   #24
N2 GOLD
MIND OVER MATTER...

First Name: RICO
Trading: (1)
SCdlH
N2 GOLD will become famous soon enoughN2 GOLD will become famous soon enough

Just get yourself a nice quality humidor that can hold atleast 50 count. Once you took that first hit of a cigar you were hooked for LIFE. No stopping or turning back now. Accept it & come to terms with it. Just enjoy the KICK A$$ ride. All of us here started with just one cigar & look at us now. Everyone starts with a few sticks then come the 5ers, small humi, med humi & then before you know it you get a "CABINET"
Old 09-23-2011, 11:01 AM   #25
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2 GOLD View Post
Just get yourself a nice quality humidor that can hold atleast 50 count. Once you took that first hit of a cigar you were hooked for LIFE. No stopping or turning back now. Accept it & come to terms with it. Just enjoy the KICK A$$ ride. All of us here started with just one cigar & look at us now. Everyone starts with a few sticks then come the 5ers, small humi, med humi & then before you know it you get a "CABINET"
I bought a larger cooler last month (maybe 2 months ago). The large cooler is now almost full, and I have a box and some singles on the way. But that shouldn't take up too much room...

The smaller cooler is now nicely packed with flavored sticks for the gf (thanks again, ninja).
Old 09-23-2011, 11:11 AM   #26
Ashcan Bill
Ol' Dude

First Name: Bill
Trading: (6)
Partagas
Ashcan Bill has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
You should be fine. Don't let these reprobates affect your buying decisions. THERE ARE people in the world who can
buy a few cigars, keep them in proper conditions and enjoy this endeavor without having to own everything. I think
based on the way you describe your situation, it would be best if you did exactly what you seem intent on doing.
Enjoy it as a dalliance and leave it at that. A 50-100 ct. humidor would be good for you. However, I would suggest
trying to find a good one or having one made by Waxing Moon that would hold really good humidity. A 50 dollar
humidor is going to keep smokes like a 50 dollar humidor. If all you want is a box, no trays or frills, you should be
able to get something small AND custom for a reasonable rate.
Quote:
Thanks guy I'm pretty glad I got referred to such a professional and honest forum not to many of these anymore. I like cigars but as I said I wanna keep it at a minium I'm a very simplistic individual so the 50 count is right up my alley. Thanks again gents
This. I used a good quality 50 count cherry desktop for many years as my sole unit for keeping cigars, and was very happy. Admittedly I've expanded my storage capacity a bit since then, but I still use and place a high sentimental value on my 50 count. My only advice would be to do what Brad suggests and purchase a quality humidor that you can use for the next fifty years.
Ashcan Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:12 PM   #27
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

If you get a 50 count humi and find yourself playing peekaboo every few hours... you may need a bigger storage unit!!!

If you lay awake at night thinking about your cigars... you may need a bigger storage unit!!!

If you sort your cigars biggest to smallest... you may need a bigger storage unit!!!

If you play here in the Asylum every day... you will need a bigger storage unit!!!

Smoke what you like!!!

Last edited by Skywalker; 09-23-2011 at 12:17 PM.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:50 PM   #28
Chemyst
Doin Time on Planet Earth

First Name: Ken
Trading: (7)
AirForce (Served With Honor)
Chemyst is on a distinguished road

I used a 150 ct. for the first 3 years. A Tupperdor is another vg option.
Now have a Vinotemp for boxes and 2 drawers of loose singles/fivers.
Still use the 150 ct. for high end sticks, only.

You could probably post a WTB, and get a 50-100 ct. pretty cheap, from
someone who has moved up to a coolerdor.

Chemyst
Old 09-24-2011, 11:32 AM   #29
PindarsLight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemyst View Post
I used a 150 ct. for the first 3 years. A Tupperdor is another vg option.
Now have a Vinotemp for boxes and 2 drawers of loose singles/fivers.
Still use the 150 ct. for high end sticks, only.

You could probably post a WTB, and get a 50-100 ct. pretty cheap, from
someone who has moved up to a coolerdor.

Chemyst
There is a section for this? I will look around
Old 09-24-2011, 12:02 PM   #30
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
There is a section for this? I will look around

As a new member, you probably can't see the WTB/WTS/WTT section yet. After some time and participation, sections not visible to you at the present time should eventually open up.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 03:43 PM   #31
lyle23

Do what ever it is that works for you and your budget. Take what everyone has said into consideration, and make your decision based upon your budget. Just my
Old 09-24-2011, 04:03 PM   #32
PindarsLight

I'm gonna go with a small humi and call it gravy I don't see myself smoking alot right now and I prefer the smaller smokes because I don't have the patience or the area at my house to smoke a stogie.

I like the idea of the Tupperware as a humi but ill go for the 50 count and smoke the stogies I like.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:10 PM   #33
ckay
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
ckay is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Buy A Large Tupperware Container & Put One 65% Boveda Pack In It Every 3 Months. My Co-Workers Have Been Using These For Years. Cheap As Dirt & Works Well!
Start here. Inexpensive, and gets the job done.
ckay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 07:29 PM   #34
gator_79
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Robin
Trading: (3)
Navy (Deployed)
gator_79 is on a distinguished road

I agree with what has already been said. Start with a tuperware container large enough to store your sticks in. They are cheap and you can always move up to a cooler later. I started with a 150 ct desktop and it didn't take long to fill it up. I moved up to a 70 qt. cooler with 1 lb of beads. I am now working on filling up my second 70 qt. cooler.
gator_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:34 PM   #35
PindarsLight

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckay View Post
Start here. Inexpensive, and gets the job done.
does it matter which packet I get? and should I get a digital read out or an analog to go with it?

How large should I go? Should I get it big enough to put dividers in it? What dividers are the best to use?

Is there a particular Tupperware that better then another?
Old 09-24-2011, 11:20 PM   #36
ysr_racer

Quote:
Agreed, I have a few myself.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:30 PM   #37
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14holestogie View Post
Someone needs to get in here and calm these mods down.

Call in the Mod Mods......

Who is the moderator of the moderators? What is the sound of one hand clapping? If a tree falls in the woods and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 11:32 PM   #38
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I'm gonna go with a small humi and call it gravy I don't see myself smoking alot right now and I prefer the smaller smokes because I don't have the patience or the area at my house to smoke a stogie.

I like the idea of the Tupperware as a humi but ill go for the 50 count and smoke the stogies I like.
sounds good. If you get the bug, then you will upgrade soon. if not, then you'll be ok with what you have.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 06:42 AM   #39
PindarsLight

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
Agreed, I have a few myself.
So I'm guessing you have alot considering you may have a different brand in each container?
Old 09-25-2011, 07:17 AM   #40
ckay
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
ckay is on a distinguished road

Quote:
does it matter which packet I get? and should I get a digital read out or an analog to go with it?

How large should I go? Should I get it big enough to put dividers in it? What dividers are the best to use?

Is there a particular Tupperware that better then another?
Any Tupperware that utilizes a gasket will work fine. A large 65% humipack is perfect.

As far as dividers, they aren't necessary. If you want to use them, go to your B&M and see if they will give you empty boxes. More times than not they are lined with thin sheets of cedar.

As far as a hygrometer get a digital unit and calibrate it. To do so, you just need to throw it in the Tupperware with your hydration packet and see if they coincide after a day. If not, you have your standard error.

Lastly all you need is three Boveda packs to rotate as you can recharge these.
ckay is offline   Reply With Quote