Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 04-11-2010, 12:49 AM   #21
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Are you addicted to cigars?

Ive gone for periods of time without a cigar. the longest was a month or so, as I was too busy with school or away on study abroad. I didn't feel a thing.

Did I want to relax and smoke? sure, but I didn't need it. I could give up cigars right now, but Id be far less happy as I am with them.
Old 04-11-2010, 01:06 AM   #22
Cyclone

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabigdog View Post
I've gone over a month without a cigar with no real issue. That said, I did miss hanging out with my BOTL's. I guess you could say my withdrawal was more about \the social aspect of cigars than anything physical
We missed you too, Bro!!
Old 04-11-2010, 06:02 AM   #23
mad4maduro
The Original CIGARtist

First Name: Eric
Trading: (0)
mad4maduro is on a distinguished road

in comparison to cigarettes, very few people are actually addicted (in the true sense of the word) to cigars.

uummmm....but true love is another story
Old 04-11-2010, 07:17 AM   #24
Rabidsquirrel
Moderately Confused

Trading: (5)
Rabidsquirrel is on a distinguished road

Nope, not addicted. I've gone months without smoking a cigar.
Rabidsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 05:12 PM   #25
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

I pretty much agree with everyone else. I was curious to see if anyone just craved cigars physically like they would cigarettes or if much higher usage (ie, daily) created that desire. I've typically only been a once a week kinda guy, but after tonight, I'll be on my 5th since Friday night.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 05:21 PM   #26
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

I am addicted to herfing. It gets real tough after 2 or 3 weeks without seeing my friends and spending a day smoking and talking.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 05:32 PM   #27
KenyanSandBoa
The Nightman Cometh...

First Name: Jim
Trading: (74)
Trinidad
KenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the roughKenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the roughKenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emjaysmash View Post
Ive gone for periods of time without a cigar. the longest was a month or so, as I was too busy with school or away on study abroad. I didn't feel a thing.

Did I want to relax and smoke? sure, but I didn't need it. I could give up cigars right now, but Id be far less happy as I am with them.
I'm in the same boat as you...I've gone long periods without them and I didn't have any issues. I think what I miss the most is the social/relaxation aspect of it. There are fewer things that rank higher than a good smoke, good food, and good people. I figure if I don't have to give that up, why try?
Old 04-11-2010, 05:35 PM   #28
Tredegar
Sing along with me

Trading: (9)
Tredegar is on a distinguished road

I am not addicted to them and can go several days without lighting up. But every once in a while I get a little mental "whiff", if you can understand, of a really good smelling cigar and want another of those.
Tredegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 06:05 PM   #29
GHC_Hambone

No, definitely not. As a mainly outdoor smoker, I smoke very rarely in the winter. Do I often want to smoke cigars in the winter? Yes, of course. But will I go freeze my butt off to smoke a cigar outside? Hell no!
Old 04-11-2010, 06:07 PM   #30
acruce
Just killing Time

First Name: Andy
Trading: (1)
Bolivar
acruce is on a distinguished road

I find them very enjoyable but not addicting
Old 04-11-2010, 06:52 PM   #31
JJG
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (4)
Partagas
JJG is on a distinguished road

I think it is very possible to be physically addicted to cigars, which is why I make a point to always take a few days off after smoking all weekend. Ideally, I try to abstain Monday through Thursday to avoid it becoming a daily habit, but occasionally I will smoke one mid week. I have noticed that on Mondays, there is a definite craving, whether its physical or mental, (I think its physical) I have to really fight the urge to break down and smoke. Monday is difficult, Tues. is better, Wed. I usually don't crave cigars at all.
JJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 07:13 PM   #32
Jbailey
Brewcifer

First Name: Dave
Trading: (17)
Jbailey has disabled reputation

Addicted? No

I've gone without having one for two weeks up to two months. Sometimes I'm not in a mood and don't even think about it. A few times while I was working at the cigar shop, it felt weird being the only one not smoking but that's it.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:59 AM   #33
darkninja67

Not addicted to them at all. I do enjoy them though.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:03 AM   #34
alwayslit
Welcome to the madness

First Name: Jim
Trading: (14)
RA
alwayslit is on a distinguished road

I have yet to roll out of bed and light a cigar. There is a big difference between the two.....imho.
alwayslit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 07:07 AM   #35
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
I am addicted to herfing. It gets real tough after 2 or 3 weeks without seeing my friends and spending a day smoking and talking.
The social and relaxation aspects of cigars are what I enjoy most!!!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 07:20 AM   #36
althekillr
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
althekillr is on a distinguished road

i would have to say the nicotine addiction is there for me to some degree. i smoke every day, and crave one when i go more than a few days without. agreed, its not like cigarretes, but i think i'd be fooling myself if i said there was no aspect of nicotine addiction there.
althekillr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:17 AM   #37
newlifetaxidermy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevez View Post
As a 20 year cigarette smoker, then a cigar smoker, they are quite different. I would really miss not having a cigar for sure and enjoy 3 - 4 per day now. I don't crave cigars the way I did cigs. I had to have a cig first thing in the morning. I think the cigar desire is much more mental, although I agree there are physical addiction attributes.
Same story here. When I was a cigarette smoker, I would smoke in the cold, rain, etc and when I was dead dog sick. Since I only smoke cigars now, I will not sit outside in cold or rainy weather to smoke and I can go well over a week if I'm sick without smoking. Do I still want one, sure...but not to the point of where I get nervous, on edge, "antsy", short tempered, or any of the other feelings I would experience if I didn't smoke a cigarette.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:19 AM   #38
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

no
Old 04-12-2010, 11:46 AM   #39
cigarz

I have been a cigarette smoker off and on for 35 years. It has been 7 years since I have had one, and I know now, I will never have another.

Probably about 20 years ago, I tried smoking a couple of cigars, after having stopped cigarettes for 5 years. There was no problem going without the cigars for extended periods of time, and I assumed ( I always assume too much!), my resistance to the addictive nature of nicotine was under control and I could apply the same to cigarettes. Boy was I wrong! Pretty soon I was smoking a pack a day.

So you can understand my trepidation about a year ago when I lit up my first real cigar,that I had been gifted (20 years ago, it was Swishers and A&C's). This time, the quality of the cigar, but more importantly, the total experience of cigar smoking - understanding the history, culture and interacting with the BOTL-provides a much richer experience than cigarette smoking ever could.

Well I have rambled enough without answering the original post so: While I think there might be a slight physical component, it is so muted that it is cake walk to deal with (actually, staying away from cake is probably harder).

That's my
Old 04-12-2010, 11:49 AM   #40
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarz View Post
(actually, staying away from cake is probably harder).

That's my

Fat Kid says: So true!