Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 03-01-2010, 07:12 AM   #21
Calexan

Default Re: First time snowboarding today

Size wise depends on height and weight..... Also your type of riding matters. Im 5'11" between 160-175 depending on how active ive been lately haha. For my All mountain board i ride a 158 (Burton Custom). My Park board is a 156 (Burton Twin). Now that ive gotten a little fatter than when i bought the 158, id probably go with a 160 next time. Longer boards help "float" better in powder. For example my 156 park board is much more flexible and shorter, so if i get in some deep powder, ill be riding along and all of a sudden it will just nose dive if im not all the way on my back foot.

Also what size shoe do you wear? Supposedly a boot size of 10+ and you need to start looking at Mid-wide - wide boards to avoid toe drag. Cant really go by your shoe size either. I wanna say that I wear 11.5-12 in Nike Dunks & Shocks, and a 10 in Salomon and Burton boots (due to the packing out that boots do).

Try Burton's Board Finder http://www.burton.com/on/demandware....oardFinderShow

It should give you an idea of range, although i wouldnt go with the boards they recommend, because the first ones are normally gonna be their most expensive ones $700-1000, but it should give you a length and width to be looking for.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:58 AM   #22
Chris.
PSHC!

Trading: (25)
Partagas
Chris. will become famous soon enoughChris. will become famous soon enough

Yea I'm a muscular 215 and wear a size 12 shoe. I'm currently workin on dropping weight to about 180-190 to get ready for summer weather. I didn't see any boards that said wide in the title when I was looking around. Is there some type of code? Thank for the link. I'll check it out when I get home from work.
Chris. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 01:24 PM   #23
JE3146
Jordan #2

First Name: Jordan
Trading: (26)
Partagas
JE3146 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris. View Post
Yea I'm a muscular 215 and wear a size 12 shoe. I'm currently workin on dropping weight to about 180-190 to get ready for summer weather. I didn't see any boards that said wide in the title when I was looking around. Is there some type of code? Thank for the link. I'll check it out when I get home from work.
Some say Wide.. other's just are wide. Typically longer boards will be wider.

I wear a size 13 boot, so the wide thing has always been the achilles heal when board shopping for me.

I settled on a Ride Yukon 159. Very fast board, very stable. Love it. Wouldn't recommend it to a beginner though. It hauls a$$.
JE3146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 05:16 PM   #24
Calexan

Yea Big feet kill the board selection real quick. I heard Never Summer boards are great for big feet although never ridden them. Thats just what I was recommended alot when i was first shopping. I know burton classifies width as a feature, only cause thats why I ride. Im sure the other companies have some system of doing it too.

Burton says their mid-wide boards are designed for the 10.5 boot
http://www.burton.com/mens-snowboard...prefv1=Midwide

The actual Wide boards actually have wide in the board title like Custom Wide (which i wish they would have had when I bought mine) http://www.burton.com/mens-snowboard...re&prefv1=Wide