Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 02-22-2010, 10:21 AM   #21
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One last shipping question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14holestogie View Post
I haven't tried that yet. I'm leery of someone walking off with them in my neighborhood.

It would come in handy today, though. I've got 9 boxes of golf balls I need to drop off at the PO today. Three trips up the steps.
I'm fortunate that I live where I can leave whatever I want out whenever I want to. I'm not sure if it's because the neighborhood is that good, or that I'm crazy and heavily armed.
Either way, I like it.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:23 AM   #22
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

First Name: Tim
Trading: (52)
Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
I'm fortunate that I live where I can leave whatever I want out whenever I want to. I'm not sure if it's because the neighborhood is that good, or that I'm crazy and heavily armed.
Either way, I like it.

I'm not sure they WOULD disappear, it's just that if they would, I'd have nothing to replace them, for the most part. And to refund money that I've already turned over to my latest cigar purchase would really tick me off.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:26 AM   #23
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14holestogie View Post

I'm not sure they WOULD disappear, it's just that if they would, I'd have nothing to replace them, for the most part. And to refund money that I've already turned over to my latest cigar purchase would really tick me off.
I'd DEFINATELY drop them off at the PO.
Another thought...
You can schedule a pickup online, and I do believe the mailman will knock on the door for the pickup. Of course that doesn't help if no one is home, but it's a safe option.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:37 AM   #24
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSB75 View Post
You can go the flat-rate way if you want, but you will pay twice as much as otherwise for shipping. Regardless, you can get priority mailing packaging for free from the PO. They will ship you boxes if you request them off the website.
That's a very generalized statement that really depends on a number of variables like the shipping method, the zone and weight. Sometimes it's correct, sometimes not.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:01 AM   #25
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

A DC# is not a tracking number. USPS does not provide tracking on Priority or First Class shipments. The DC# is for Delivery Confirmation only, sometimes packages are scanned enroute but not always. If you want tracking ship UPS or Fed Ex.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:07 AM   #26
PeteSB75
Have My Own Room

First Name: Pete
Trading: (18)
Montecristo
PeteSB75 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
That's a very generalized statement that really depends on a number of variables like the shipping method, the zone and weight. Sometimes it's correct, sometimes not.
You are absolutely right. Especially since I just went back to the PO website and realized that they've added a small flat rate box since i last checked it out that is $4.95 to ship and basically the same size as the priority boxes I currently have. Last time I checked, I only saw the medium one for 10.70.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:49 AM   #27
jerseystepup
L-I-V-I-N

First Name: Randy
Trading: (9)
JL
jerseystepup is on a distinguished road

So if I printed a priority flat rate sticker out and paid for postage prior to it going to the PO I should be ok?
jerseystepup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 12:04 PM   #28
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseystepup View Post
So if I printed a priority flat rate sticker out and paid for postage prior to it going to the PO I should be ok?
In theory, yes. In practice, one would hope, but there is always the possibility that a misinformed employee might have an issue with an online paid flat rate box just left in the mailbox. Although, if your PO has one of the big blue parcel boxes or an APC machine, it's doubtful that you will have any problems.

If it gets rejected for some reason, when you get the package back, you just go up to the counter and politely ask to speak to the postmaster about it. Your postmaster should be informed as to the current regulations and once you've brought the issue to their attention, one would hope that he/she would remind employees of the proper regulations.

Note, you must have the USPS supplied packaging that is pre-printed with "Priority Mail - FLAT RATE" on box to get the flat rate. If you use a flat rate box, it doesn't matter what the weight is or what you punch in on the computer, just so long as neither is over the maximum weight (IIRC like 40 or 80lbs domestic**, 4-10lbs for international, but don't quote me on that)
Old 02-22-2010, 12:22 PM   #29
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

ERdM

Quote:
Flat rate has to go in a flat rate box. Other sized boxes do not qualify for Flat Rate. If you are shipping cigars, use a Video 2 box, these are available from the USPS supply website. With this box you can ship 5 cigars for $4.95 with free Delivery Confirmation if you pay online.

Did you read the Shipping Sticky?
Old 02-22-2010, 01:24 PM   #30
jerseystepup
L-I-V-I-N

JL

Yea no ive done all that, i had the post office deliver over 50 boxes to my house last week, and ive printed the flat rate priority shipping label here at home.. i was wondering now about the mailbox situation.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:26 PM   #31
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

ERdM

Why not just have them picked up at your house? Just check the box for pickup and poof! they are gone.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:30 PM   #32
jerseystepup
L-I-V-I-N

JL

i had several boxes that needed to go and i unfortunatly wouldnt trust them on my porch, i live in a not so great neighborhood. If i were to be home when the postman comes than yea but i didnt have that option this time... but yea i did see that as a choice when i was paying for the shipping.

The gf assures me that the wording on the p.o. box specificly said "stamped envelopes weighing over 13 ounces" so hopefully since theyre not stamped or an envelope ill be ok.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:51 PM   #33
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

ERdM

The Post Office has a bin for package drops. Larger boxes will not fit in a regular Blue PO box.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:34 PM   #34
jerseystepup
L-I-V-I-N

JL

My small flat rate box fit in the blue PO box outside the post office.. i guess well see.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:48 PM   #35
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

I've dumped tons of small flat rate boxes in the big blue mailboxes. Our blue mailboxes say the same thing, too. Never had an issue.
That doesn't mean it's okay, or that you won't have a problem, Randy. I'm just letting you know I've done it zillions of times over the years.
My PO is really cool and the guys that work there are awesome. If there's ever any kind of problem whatsoever, Joe or Matt will call me. Never had an issue with the little boxes in the mailbox and never had one returned. That said, it might be an issue in a larger more sensitive area, and I have no idea what the official policy is, or how the rule is written.
My guess is that it's a mandated rule and, as such, should be in the postal regulations. I know you can read them online, I've had to do that a number of times over the years in order to keep on top of bird shipping regulations.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:02 PM   #36
jerseystepup
L-I-V-I-N

JL

Scott after reading your post i dug around for a minute and found this on the click-n-ship faqs.

Online shipping is as convenient as your neighborhood mailbox. You can drop your Priority Mail® service and domestic Express Mail® service pieces with PC Postage labels in any Collection Box®,
Old 02-22-2010, 03:04 PM   #37
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Scott after reading your post i dug around for a minute and found this on the click-n-ship faqs.

Online shipping is as convenient as your neighborhood mailbox. You can drop your Priority Mail® service and domestic Express Mail® service pieces with PC Postage labels in any Collection Box®,
That pretty much wraps that up.
Thanks, Randy!!!
Old 02-22-2010, 03:04 PM   #38
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Old 02-22-2010, 03:30 PM   #39
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Adam, it's 4 pounds for International flat rate and 70 pounds for domestic. We hashed that out in a different thread yesterday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post

Old 02-22-2010, 04:04 PM   #40
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
Adam, it's 4 pounds for International flat rate and 70 pounds for domestic. We hashed that out in a different thread yesterday.