Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 09-17-2012, 03:15 PM   #21
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Re: Paul Garmirian talks trash about younger cigar makers

Sounds like the ranting throws of a jealous, bitter, little man who never achieved the success he somehow feels he is owed meanwhile he is envious of those around him who are newer to the industry yet far more successful that he ever was.

Funny, you talk to any of the guys he singled out, pretty much all they have to say about other people in the industry is complimentary. All this ass has to say is how great he is and how bad/clueless/worthless everyone else is.

What a piece of work.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:42 PM   #22
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

I actually enjoyed the article and respect his perspective. He makes cigars that appeal to a different cigar smoker and my hunch is many reacting to the article weren’t smoking cigars back then. A lot has changed in the cigar industry, and not all for the good. I don’t think its envy; he could’ve sold out long ago. He has his “shtick” and they have theirs.

It’s got to be about 20 years since I have had a PG cigar, but I consider then a premium long term brand like Davidoff, Dunhill, and for better or worse Oscar. How many under 50’s are smoking Tempe Hall? The same ones smoking PG’s.

The article stated, “I associate cigars within my frame of reference,” he said, “with what they ought to be. And I fancy everybody has a role model. I fancy myself as a cigar merchant in the latter part of the 19th century in London: You have quality products and you don’t go nuts.”

That really sums it up. If you like that kind of aesthetic theme to cigar smoking, you are on the kind of smoker who may fancy a PG.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:00 PM   #23
poriggity
Cigar Zombie Fo Life!

First Name: Scott
Trading: (13)
poriggity will become famous soon enoughporiggity will become famous soon enough

PG does sound like a jerk.. But I'm with Peter on this one. I am a blogger, but I don't go around to all the sites pushing links to my site... I do reviews, post them here, with a link to my site in my signature. If someone wants to check it out, that's cool, if not, no skin off my back.

Bearded Dad Blog
poriggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:06 PM   #24
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by poriggity View Post
PG does sound like a jerk.. But I'm with Peter on this one. I am a blogger, but I don't go around to all the sites pushing links to my site... I do reviews, post them here, with a link to my site in my signature. If someone wants to check it out, that's cool, if not, no skin off my back.
Exactly how it should be, Scott. Kudos to you.

My point here is not about PG and his opinions of the newer guys. What ticks me off is members who join forums for the sole purpose of linking to their blog in order to validate their purpose. As if their opinion is more informed or relevant than the opinions and perspectives of the members of our community.

Last edited by pnoon; 09-17-2012 at 06:11 PM.
pnoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:38 PM   #25
cjhalbrooks
I am behind you. SHHHHH

First Name: Cory
Location: Under a Bridge, trying to find the troll who stole my soul.
Montecristo Army (Active)
cjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutcjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutcjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura about

Well i have only two things to say.
1- This was the first blog i have ever read.
2. I will make it a point to try his cigars (at least one) and then i will make my opinion on PG. Just like every cigar i have smoked to this day.

GMCGTPWHAF Tennessee Chapter. Down with the bloody BIG HEAD
cjhalbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:44 PM   #26
omowasu
Fell ROTT

First Name: Scott II
Trading: (3)
JL
omowasu has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
Exactly how it should be, Scott. Kudos to you.

My point here is not about PG and his opinions of the newer guys. What ticks me off is members who join forums for the sole purpose of linking to their blog in order to validate their purpose. As if their opinion is more informed or relevant than the opinions and perspectives of the members of our community.
Exactly, especially given the way it was posted with a link followed by the most incendiary paragraph in the article.

I wonder if the same link and paragraph were posted on other forums. Im sure some of the folks here would know if they are on the other sites. This is the only site I frequent...

As for Garmirian, what he stated could be taken in several contexts. He doesn't make a bad cigar, but my tastes have moved toward stronger smokes where Tatuaje and Illusione are a great fit (as are several others).
Old 09-17-2012, 07:48 PM   #27
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

I haven't seen it on the other sites I peruse, Scott.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:11 PM   #28
poriggity
Cigar Zombie Fo Life!

poriggity will become famous soon enoughporiggity will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
I haven't seen it on the other sites I peruse, Scott.
I've seen it on at least one other forum that I know of, coincidentally, this guy also has 3 posts there, and registered this month. People that register on forums just for the sole purpose of pushing their blog/publication to the masses, are exactly the kind of people that give the rest of us bloggers, who do it for fun and being informative, a bad name. Just my opinion.
Scott

Bearded Dad Blog
poriggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:16 PM   #29
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Be interesting to see if David reads the comments on the threads he starts, or simply moves on. I'd like to hear his thoughts on how this type of "blog redirect" is viewed by the true members of this community.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:20 PM   #30
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Wow, that does appear a bit harsh. I will say however that I have never had a bad PG. in fact, on of my favorite sticks is his regular line Bombones. Don't have many of them, but enjoy them immensely when I can find them.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:26 PM   #31
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

By the way Tom, I think you'd really like PGs. I think you'd be impressed with the flavor profile.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:31 PM   #32
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Be interesting to see if David reads the comments on the threads he starts, or simply moves on. I'd like to hear his thoughts on how this type of "blog redirect" is viewed by the true members of this community.
At this point, he has not read anything on CA beyond his own posts.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:56 PM   #33
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
I actually enjoyed the article and respect his perspective. He makes cigars that appeal to a different cigar smoker and my hunch is many reacting to the article weren’t smoking cigars back then. A lot has changed in the cigar industry, and not all for the good. I don’t think its envy; he could’ve sold out long ago. He has his “shtick” and they have theirs.

It’s got to be about 20 years since I have had a PG cigar, but I consider then a premium long term brand like Davidoff, Dunhill, and for better or worse Oscar. How many under 50’s are smoking Tempe Hall? The same ones smoking PG’s.

The article stated, “I associate cigars within my frame of reference,” he said, “with what they ought to be. And I fancy everybody has a role model. I fancy myself as a cigar merchant in the latter part of the 19th century in London: You have quality products and you don’t go nuts.”
That really sums it up. If you like that kind of aesthetic theme to cigar smoking, you are on the kind of smoker who may fancy a PG.
I respectfully disagree, Moses.
I'd submit that if you appreciate that sort of aesthetic theme to cigar smoking, you are the kind of smoker who may fancy a cigar. Period.
Just because this gentleman expresses this odd projection into his brand doesn't remotely mean that anyone picks up on it, or wishes to wear a wig, monocle and bloomers while they smoke.
Certainly no more than one should want to get a tattoo were they to smoke a Tatuaje.
If a brand of cigar defines an individual, the first thing I'd think is that they very much undervalue themselves as a human being.
Maybe even so much so that they need to tear down others to prop themselves up, as Paul has exhibited in this case.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:10 AM   #34
lenguamor
puta por Ninfas!

First Name: Joe
Trading: (23)
PL
lenguamor will become famous soon enoughlenguamor will become famous soon enough

The grumpy old man in me gets what he's saying, although I don't agree. Not with his characterization of younger cigar makers.

I've been smoking for almost 40 years. From my first cigar—handmade, luckily—I knew exactly what I wanted from a cigar.

I get impatient with young smokers; it does frustrate me sometimes that I have an encyclopedia of knowledge about smoking and keeping cigars, but they don't ask! Or they ask all the wrong questions (IMO).

And if you'd asked me 10 years ago about Drew Estates and some of the others that Garmirian refers to, I might've held a similar opinion to the old man's. Because I was coming at it from a firmly, sadly uninformed viewpoint.

And, truth be told, some of the marketing does put me off, and some of it makes me determined not to try their cigars. For instance, JdN's advertising 100% turns me off; I never wanted to be the Marlborough man nor in a motorcycle gang, and less so now, in my mid-fifties. And some brands' use of ersatz military imagery and accoutrements downright pisses me off.

But what puzzles me about PG's vitriol is that he's met these guys, and presumably he's tried their products. Not all of their cigars are great, and I'd even venture to say that a lot of them are not very good at all; but some of them are superlative, and a select few are among the jewels of modern offerings.

The fact that he's met J. Drew and isn't totally infected by his enthusiasm, his drive and the joy and pride he puts into his cigars, not to mention the undeniable quality and flavor of lines like LP, tells me that the old man has succumbed to no small amount of bitterness.

And that's a shame.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:47 AM   #35
Jefft72
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (2)
Jefft72 is on a distinguished road

I found it interesting to see that Dion remarked via Twitter about this story.

Dion Giolito ‏@illusionecigars
"Dr. Garmirian really is a great guy. A bit eccentric, ind I can identify for sure -"
"It sucks that Paul Garmirian said the things he said in his interview. I've always looked up to him - even paid Homage to him in my ~68~."
Jefft72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:16 AM   #36
JPjr
Just in from the Storm

First Name: John
Trading: (0)
JPjr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenguamor View Post
And if you'd asked me 10 years ago about Drew Estates and some of the others that Garmirian refers to, I might've held a similar opinion to the old man's. Because I was coming at it from a firmly, sadly uninformed viewpoint.

And, truth be told, some of the marketing does put me off, and some of it makes me determined not to try their cigars. For instance, JdN's advertising 100% turns me off; I never wanted to be the Marlborough man nor in a motorcycle gang, and less so now, in my mid-fifties. And some brands' use of ersatz military imagery and accoutrements downright pisses me off.

But what puzzles me about PG's vitriol is that he's met these guys, and presumably he's tried their products. Not all of their cigars are great, and I'd even venture to say that a lot of them are not very good at all; but some of them are superlative, and a select few are among the jewels of modern offerings.

The fact that he's met J. Drew and isn't totally infected by his enthusiasm, his drive and the joy and pride he puts into his cigars, not to mention the undeniable quality and flavor of lines like LP, tells me that the old man has succumbed to no small amount of bitterness.

And that's a shame.

BRILLIANT post. I don't recall that I've tried anything from PG, and the "live and let live" in me says everyone is entitled to their own opinion - and tht wouldn't sway me from trying in the future. But I agree, the passion these guys put into their smokes and their businesses can hardly be bad at all. Maybe "not elegantly stated" could be the phrase of the day...
JPjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:01 AM   #37
Whipper Snapper
95% Banter 5% MMM Habanos

First Name: Blake
Trading: (0)
RA
Whipper Snapper has disabled reputation

Always liked the PG's I've had. Not quite sure what to make of this.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:01 AM   #38
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenguamor View Post
The grumpy old man in me gets what he's saying, although I don't agree. Not with his characterization of younger cigar makers.

I've been smoking for almost 40 years. From my first cigar—handmade, luckily—I knew exactly what I wanted from a cigar.

I get impatient with young smokers; it does frustrate me sometimes that I have an encyclopedia of knowledge about smoking and keeping cigars, but they don't ask! Or they ask all the wrong questions (IMO).

And that's a shame.
Amen.

Yes, the lack of respect that he idicated toward these guys trying to make a go in the industry is disappointing.

Different tastes in cigars is what draws me to them, and in regard to cigars, variety is the spice of life.

Peace of the Lord be with you.

Last edited by RevSmoke; 09-18-2012 at 09:12 AM.
RevSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:12 AM   #39
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
The "looney club"? Boy he is a silly goose.
I'll take the Looney Club all day long; hell, we are in an asylum, after all!
Old 09-18-2012, 09:20 AM   #40
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subvet642 View Post
I'll take the Looney Club all day long; hell, we are in an asylum, after all!
Better than the Culture Club, because they just come and go, they come and go....
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote