Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 07-10-2009, 06:53 PM   #21
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Tour de France

The next 2 stages we are gonna see what the riders are really made of! I'm excited to see how the Team Astana drama works out..
Old 07-10-2009, 11:54 PM   #22
Opusfxd
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (5)
Bolivar
Opusfxd is on a distinguished road

Two words for Astana - LeMond/Hinault. Let's hope it's not a sequel.
Opusfxd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 10:32 AM   #23
Alpedhuez55
Fat Bastard

First Name: Michael
Trading: (8)
SP
Alpedhuez55 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opusfxd View Post
Two words for Astana - LeMond/Hinault. Let's hope it's not a sequel.
It is looking like that. You wonder if the last week will look like Telecom a few years back when the teammates Vino & Ullrich were covering each others attacks. And will the team favor one rider over the other or break into factions.

You can tell when Lance is pissed off in his interviews. Even Levi danced around the issue this morning. You got the early season impression that Lance may support Contador. It seems like there was some agreement broken the other day. But I am not sure if Lance can ride with Contador.

The problem is the schedule, everything is packed into the last week. You only had one mountain finish and a short time trial so far. The last two stages had high mountains, but a long run to the finish, so attacks were minimal. Then now you have to see them wait another week before there is another mountain stage. There is no time trial to help establish a clear team leader until the middle of next week. So now you have a week for tensions to simmer on the Astana team.
Alpedhuez55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 11:44 AM   #24
Noodles
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (2)
HUpmann
Noodles is on a distinguished road

What stage will they climb Alpe D Huez? I need to take a day off.
Noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 12:28 PM   #25
gorob23
Brother of the Leaf

First Name: Rob
Trading: (0)
gorob23 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonggoy View Post
What stage will they climb Alpe D Huez? I need to take a day off.
You ride? why didn't you bring your bike! Stupid m$*^$*@ why didn't you bring it we could have gone riding! Your too damn light you would need a weight belt but I have been slowly getting back to the ride. Record the tour and go to work so you can make the return trip soon
Rob

Stage 20

MONT VENTOUX
Jacques Goddet called Mont Ventoux “a gigantic upside-down top measuring 21 kilometres around at the base”. The highest point in Provence has always been a key moment in the race. This is where Bobet outdistanced Gaul in 1955, partly ensuring his third title; the Luxembourg rider got even with him three years later. In 1970 Eddy Merckx suffered and passed out at the top. Armstrong lost here to Pantani in 2000 and Virenque in 2002. But no rider has ever won this stage twice. Ventoux is unbeatable.

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

"Snow Globe"

I miss light switch
gorob23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 07:22 AM   #26
imthegoal
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Brian
Trading: (4)
LGC Army (Active)
imthegoal will become famous soon enough

You got to feel sorry for Leipheimer. Sucks that he is out of the tour.
imthegoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 09:47 AM   #27
Footbag
I Need My Space

First Name: Adam
Trading: (7)
Partagas
Footbag will become famous soon enoughFootbag will become famous soon enough

Todays race was amazing. If Lance could've kept pace, he would've. Contador looks amazing.

Gotta love the mountains!
Footbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 11:06 AM   #28
Joan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footbag View Post
Todays race was amazing. If Lance could've kept pace, he would've. Contador looks amazing.

Gotta love the mountains!
I'm still trying to figure out which factors kept George five seconds off yesterday. Interviews point to lack of communication between Garmin and the sprinters, but is that really IT?

(from my mobile device)
Old 07-19-2009, 11:07 AM   #29
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

I was hoping for the 8th victory for Lance Armstrong, but after today I think that won't happen.
Old 07-19-2009, 01:31 PM   #30
gorob23
Brother of the Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post
I was hoping for the 8th victory for Lance Armstrong, but after today I think that won't happen.
Mmm "Not so fast my friend" it would appear that your correct!

AND Lance did say he was out of it, but let's wait and see IF he stays within reach and maybe the TT is going to decided. It could be he is not good enough to get # 8 or it could be that he is waiting. he is still one of the best and time will tell

Rob

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

"Snow Globe"

I miss light switch
Old 07-19-2009, 09:57 PM   #31
Joan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorob23 View Post
Mmm "Not so fast my friend" it would appear that your correct!

AND Lance did say he was out of it, but let's wait and see IF he stays within reach and maybe the TT is going to decided. It could be he is not good enough to get # 8 or it could be that he is waiting. he is still one of the best and time will tell

Rob

Er, I mean what Gorob said!
Old 07-20-2009, 06:57 AM   #32
Noodles
Adjusting to the Life

HUpmann

I'm actually quite surprised Lance is way up in the standings at this point. I didn't expect him to get #8. I initially thought it would be a great achievement if he finishes in top 5. I yesterday's stage is any indication, I expect Lance to drop in the standing even further. I wouldn't be suprise if Sastre finishes ahead of LA.

If Contador is not with a strong team with a great director (Johan Bruynell), will he still be as good as he is?
Old 07-20-2009, 09:00 AM   #33
Footbag
I Need My Space

First Name: Adam
Trading: (7)
Partagas
Footbag will become famous soon enoughFootbag will become famous soon enough

Rest Day: Time to over analyze the race...

I think that Contador is looking much stronger then Lance. Lance needs a team to crack the group. Without Levi, it's going to be very hard. Losing Levi hurt Lance more then just the "20%" as I heard him explain it. It pretty much solidified the stronger rider as the team leader.
If I were Lance, I'd tell Contador to go for it.
I'm a bit skeptical that there really is much drama in Astana at this point. They are very professional, and know who the best mountain rider is on the team.
Footbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:42 AM   #34
Noodles
Adjusting to the Life

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footbag View Post
Rest Day: Time to over analyze the race...

I think that Contador is looking much stronger then Lance. Lance needs a team to crack the group. Without Levi, it's going to be very hard. Losing Levi hurt Lance more then just the "20%" as I heard him explain it. It pretty much solidified the stronger rider as the team leader.
If I were Lance, I'd tell Contador to go for it.
I'm a bit skeptical that there really is much drama in Astana at this point. They are very professional, and know who the best mountain rider is on the team.
Drama is over. AC is the Astana man. Notice that LA didn't mention anything about playing the good team mate and not chasing AC when AC let loose? He just doesn't have the legs to stay with the best climbers.

AC is a lock unless he rides the St. Bernard given to him . I'm wondering who will Astana protect next week, Armstrong or Kloden. Kloden look stronger than Armstrong yesterday. He even had a better ITT than armstrong. It will be very interesting how Armstrong body respond to next weeks mountain stages. He always had the best condition besides this tour.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:17 PM   #35
Opusfxd
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (5)
Bolivar
Opusfxd is on a distinguished road

Is it tomorrow yet? I'd like to get a better picture to figure out if Lance was being polite that last stage, out of gas or if he's going to play super domestique. Yeah, I still believe. Contador did look very impressive yesterday and looks like he'll pretty much hold his own.

BTW, I'm glad this race finally has something to talk about besides pass the no doze.
Opusfxd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:53 PM   #36
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

I will leave the office early today, so I can watch the race
Old 07-21-2009, 06:55 AM   #37
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

I think I would opt for cagy. He sure looks like he is out for a Sunday training ride at the end of the stage while a lot of the others sure look beat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opusfxd View Post
Is it tomorrow yet? I'd like to get a better picture to figure out if Lance was being polite that last stage, out of gas or if he's going to play super domestique. Yeah, I still believe. Contador did look very impressive yesterday and looks like he'll pretty much hold his own.

BTW, I'm glad this race finally has something to talk about besides pass the no doze.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:24 PM   #38
imthegoal
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Brian
Trading: (4)
LGC Army (Active)
imthegoal will become famous soon enough

The way he covered that gap today was quite impressive. I think if he is able to keep it close he should be able to make up time during the time trial. This could become a truly epic Tour.
imthegoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:52 PM   #39
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

He is a Manimal!
Old 07-21-2009, 04:07 PM   #40
gorob23
Brother of the Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonggoy View Post
Drama is over. AC is the Astana man. Notice that LA didn't mention anything about playing the good team mate and not chasing AC when AC let loose? He just doesn't have the legs to stay with the best climbers.

AC is a lock unless he rides the St. Bernard given to him . I'm wondering who will Astana protect next week, Armstrong or Kloden. Kloden look stronger than Armstrong yesterday. He even had a better ITT than armstrong. It will be very interesting how Armstrong body respond to next weeks mountain stages. He always had the best condition besides this tour.
NOT SO FAST MY BOOKEND FRIEND!

you kids you never give us old guys credit! Lance may or may not be done. The thing he has learned is that you don't show all your cards because you never know. The race goes ALL the way until the end.
I mean really did you smoke ONE cigar at So cal and say that's it I'm done!

Stupid Me&^%!@

Rob

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

"Snow Globe"

I miss light switch