Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 05:05 PM   #1
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Advice for B&M owners anyone?

If you as a shop owner are going to shell out the money to stock your humidor, learn how to properly maintain it. Don't crank the humidifier so that all the cigars are moldy/spongy. Or so dry that the slightest handling causes all the wrappers to spilt. No way will I pay $25 for a padron 45th with a split wrapper. And to see the other eight left in the box in the same condition will mean you obviously don't know what you're doing an make me less than likely to return.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-06-2011, 05:57 PM   #2
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Fellas...looks like you've hit the nail on the head with these posts.

Don't have me drive from Petersburg, Va to Norfolk, Va because you claim to have the latest PDR 1878 Dominicana Reserva (the red one right???) and I arrived to find you don't have a clue what the hell I am talking about...when you bring out the PDR 1878 Capa Maduro (black label).

KNOW YOUR STOCK!!!

Last edited by kelmac07; 03-06-2011 at 06:02 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:30 PM   #3
bscottskangum
Oh yeah, I'm awesome!

First Name: Barry
Trading: (11)
Montecristo
bscottskangum will become famous soon enoughbscottskangum will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
Don't have me drive from Petersburg, Va to Norfolk, Va because you claim to have the latest PDR 1878 Dominicana Reserva (the red one right???) and I arrived to find you don't have a clue what the hell I am talking about...when you bring out the PDR 1878 Capa Maduro (black label).
I remember when that happened and you told the Thursday herfers about it, I think that was the first time I got to witness "Angry Mac"

Good points all around...

Personally my biggest issue is when the shop workers follow you into humidor (I get why they do that though) then proceed to recommend a cigar not knowing anything about me. Then when I completely ignore everything you say, because it's obvious you just want rid of your junk stock, and I take a WHOLE 5 minutes to pick some things ... don't make a snide comment about "I wondered if you were ever gonna find something"
Old 03-07-2011, 04:19 AM   #4
Tio Gato
Uncle Kitty

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (11)
Partagas
Tio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really nice

I really sympathize with owners who have been ripped off by theft.

If you've got to follow me around in the humidor simply do it while providing good customer service. If you see me fingering some sticks approach me and give me your opinion. Suggest similar smokes, offer to hold what I've picked up so I grab some more, tell me about new releases, but please don't give me that icy stare. Use that face time to sell me! Following me around takes time, use that time to win a regular. I wanna give you my money today and maybe tomorrow. If you treat me like a human and not a thief I'll be back.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:00 PM   #5
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

If you have a rule or policy that I apparently was unaware of, mention it to me with courtesy and respect, don't talk to me like I am your naughty nephew, and don't "call me out" in front of others. I promise you if you do, I will not be back, and I will tell every BOTL I know what I think of your place too.

On the other hand, to the owners of 90% of the B&Ms I have been to, thank you for your hospitality and kindness, I look forward to seeing you again.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 03-08-2011, 08:31 AM   #6
cmitch
Heads up get down

First Name: Clayton
Trading: (25)
Montecristo
cmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
If you have a rule or policy that I apparently was unaware of, mention it to me with courtesy and respect, don't talk to me like I am your naughty nephew, and don't "call me out" in front of others. I promise you if you do, I will not be back, and I will tell every BOTL I know what I think of your place too.

On the other hand, to the owners of 90% of the B&Ms I have been to, thank you for your hospitality and kindness, I look forward to seeing you again.
Unfortunately, our local B&M, which I am a locker member, has become this. I cleaned my locker out last Wednesday. I have no intentions of frequenting them as much. The last straw was last Tuesday where a girl of 22 who couldn't give 2 sh^ts about the store treated two of my friends very rudely near closing time. One of the gentlemen complained the following day of her rude behavior. Nothing done, to my knowledge. Also, they've decided to implement rules that have practically removed any enjoyment of being there. It's an uncomfortable environment and I've already relocated to more enjoyable places for a smoke.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:44 AM   #7
hscmit
Have My Own Room

First Name: James
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
hscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitch View Post
Unfortunately, our local B&M, which I am a locker member, has become this. I cleaned my locker out last Wednesday. I have no intentions of frequenting them as much. The last straw was last Tuesday where a girl of 22 who couldn't give 2 sh^ts about the store treated two of my friends very rudely near closing time. One of the gentlemen complained the following day of her rude behavior. Nothing done, to my knowledge. Also, they've decided to implement rules that have practically removed any enjoyment of being there. It's an uncomfortable environment and I've already relocated to more enjoyable places for a smoke.
that sucks buddy
Old 03-06-2011, 06:21 PM   #8
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

If there are areas in the shop where we should not smoke (assuming that we can smoke in the shop in the first place), please let us know (post a sign or something).

On the other side, with theft being as bad as it is, I understand why you follow me around, but please be a little more respectful of my space. And, if I am a regular, don't follow me around, but make yourself available (at the counter or someplace) so that I can find you when I have questions...

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:56 PM   #9
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Ya know, selling a cigar and being decent to people is not rocket surgery.
If a guy can't figure it out on his own, we sure aren't going to teach him anything.
Some tobacconists are willing to listen to their customers because it's obvious to them that it's the key to success. Others just simply don't last long.
Just like online retailers, if the shop sucks for any reason, I take a walk.
I guess I'm saying this thread is a great idea, and a great read, but most likely futile.
I suppose it sure doesn't hurt to try.
Excuse my negativity, this just reminded me of a few really poor experiences and it gave me gas.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:30 PM   #10
Average Joe
Livin' the dream!

First Name: Name
Trading: (10)
Average Joe is on a distinguished road

Don't walk into the humidor eating pizza.

Carry a variety.

Things I have liked - People who let me get in and out of the cigar store. Little chit chat if I don't want it, or a ton if I wanted it.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:35 PM   #11
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

When describing the flavor of a cigar do not try and compare it to a cuban cigar, or say that it is better than a cuban. Then go on to say I will not be able to tell the difference between said cigar and a specific cuban.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:46 PM   #12
CoreyD
Licking my wounds

First Name: Corey
Trading: (23)
LGC
CoreyD has a spectacular aura aboutCoreyD has a spectacular aura about

A little trust as a customer. New to hobby but if your standing in the Humidor cause you don't trust me tell me and I'll leave and not come back. If your standing there cause you know I take a lot of time and have questions then I am glad you care so much about me as a customer.
Sometimes after already purchasing I walk into the humidor just browsing sometimes purchasin again but don't expect me to purchase everytime I look at sticks I may be library studying
Old 03-06-2011, 06:50 PM   #13
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoflex View Post
I am not a bandit, so please don't follow me into the humidor and hound me the second I walk in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyD View Post
A little trust as a customer. New to hobby but if your standing in the Humidor cause you don't trust me tell me and I'll leave and not come back.
In today's world. everyone is a suspect if you are not known. It's those idiot thieves you should be angry at, not the b&m's trying to protect what is theirs. I hate that icy stare too but that's life and it's not going to change. I am guilty. If somebody I don't know walks into our humidor, I keep a very close eye on them as does the camera and recorder. If I don't, inevitably, I will find we have missing stock. That's a fact.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:52 PM   #14
hscmit
Have My Own Room

First Name: James
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
hscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
In today's world. everyone is a suspect if you are not known. It's those idiot thieves you should be angry at, not the b&m's trying to protect what is theirs. I hate that icy stare too but that's life and it's not going to change. I am guilty. If somebody I don't know walks into our humidor, I keep a very close eye on them as does the camera and recorder. If I don't, inevitably, I will find we have missing stock. That's a fact.
this is a shame
Old 03-06-2011, 07:41 PM   #15
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
I can relate but my issue is not even getting a minute or two to get my bearings on what they have as far as stock before they are literally up my butt. If your keeping an eye on me from afar that's one thing but I just get irked at the very few that are literally on my heels going into the humidor to the point where if I stopped short they would more than likely walk into me. Hasn't happened too many times but it has and the few times it did I never returned even if they carried a good selection of sticks. Hell, I didn't even get that treatment in a certain shop in Cornelius where the staff is known to be very cold.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:02 PM   #16
Jbailey
Brewcifer

First Name: Dave
Trading: (17)
Jbailey has disabled reputation

I will agree with Greg. When helping someone new that I haven't seen I wouldn't follow them but I would start a basic conversation. I would casually ask if there is anything they are looking for, what do they enjoy smoking, etc. I wouldn't try to hound them but in return make them feel welcome. It's an easy way to just keep an eye on whats going on.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:35 PM   #17
HollywoodQue
Invictus

First Name: Howard
Trading: (46)
Bolivar Navy (Served With Honor)
HollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really nice

Very well stated Jeff..
Old 03-06-2011, 07:56 PM   #18
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

This thread is funny, because it shows that there is no pleasing B&M customers, lol. I am with Greg,
people are theiving scumbags. (paraphrase) BUT in today's technological environment, there is no excuse for
having less than 6 cameras in an average walk-in. You should greet them, then settle down in front of your bank
of surveillance monitors to watch their every move, preferably with remote pan, tilt and zoom. Then when they
gt to the register, simply ask if they found everything they needed. Charge them for that B-52 or T-38 or F-15
or whatever they put into their pants. If they notice it on their receipt, just ask them if they'd like to see the
replay.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:00 PM   #19
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
This thread is funny, because it shows that there is no pleasing B&M customers, lol. I am with Greg,
people are theiving scumbags. (paraphrase) BUT in today's technological environment, there is no excuse for
having less than 6 cameras in an average walk-in. You should greet them, then settle down in front of your bank
of surveillance monitors to watch their every move, preferably with remote pan, tilt and zoom. Then when they
gt to the register, simply ask if they found everything they needed. Charge them for that B-52 or T-38 or F-15
or whatever they put into their pants. If they notice it on their receipt, just ask them if they'd like to see the
replay.
Would love to be a fly on the wall when this plays out. Would be very entertaining. Hey are you getting inside info on some new Ligas coming down the pipe?
Old 03-07-2011, 09:56 AM   #20
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

First Name: Boffa
Trading: (48)
Partagas
HK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
replay.
This is where Gurkas come into play. Cigar thieves in general have no clue what they are looking for and tend to prey on price tags. Gurkas are flashy and generally pricey so they are great "bait" for cigar bandits.
Closed Thread