Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 12-10-2010, 01:42 PM   #21
hscmit
Have My Own Room

First Name: James
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
hscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: kitchen project

I have less that $4500 in the whole thing. And 2/3's of that is the customer counter tops and hardwood flooring. I think the return on the investment is at least double that on an appraisal. But I could be wrong and think a lot more of my work than I should
hscmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 01:56 PM   #22
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

Looks awesome! Nice job.
I have been wanting to re-do the floors in our kitchen. Our kitchen is fairly new but we have dark hardwood in the kitchen and we hate having hardwood in there. I want to pull up the floors and do slate instead as it will be more durable and practical for the kitchen especially with two dogs that go in and out through the kitchen but just can't bring myself to start yanking up flooring. Kudos on a job well done.
Old 12-10-2010, 02:05 PM   #23
hscmit
Have My Own Room

Bolivar
hscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura about

thanks!

we talked about slate tile a lot, but after tons of research found that a lot of people who stand on it for longer periods of time complain that is isnt comfortable to stand on, and to me I would dread something heavy getting dropped on a tile and having to rip it up and replace. this is an old house and there is hardwood in the entire rest of the house, so this also ties the house back together. it was a shame we couldnt refinish the old hardwood, but it had a lot damaged pieces and tons of glue and staples in it, and after pricing out having someone come in and redo it we would have been another 2 weeks without a finished project and would spent just as much money, so we ended up with the new hardwood.
Old 12-10-2010, 02:08 PM   #24
hscmit
Have My Own Room

Bolivar

The above isnt true. I put tile down in both bathrooms.
And after doing both I would rather do the hardwood
Old 12-10-2010, 02:19 PM   #25
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

Great job James. Looks awesome!!!!
Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 03:12 PM   #26
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoflex View Post
Looks awesome! Nice job.
I have been wanting to re-do the floors in our kitchen. Our kitchen is fairly new but we have dark hardwood in the kitchen and we hate having hardwood in there. I want to pull up the floors and do slate instead as it will be more durable and practical for the kitchen especially with two dogs that go in and out through the kitchen but just can't bring myself to start yanking up flooring. Kudos on a job well done.
One thing to note with slate tile. It varies in thickness from piece to piece. Which means an uneven surface. Kitchens it's okay. But anywhere you actually have furniture I would advise against it. Furniture with 4 legs will wobble. Not so bad with a couch because you can just shim it. But dinig room chairs/bar stools are rarely in the same place.

I do more porcelain/ceramic than slate. There are some nice gel mats from bed bath and beyond that take away the discomfort most feel from standing on tile for long periods. Just get those and place them at the work stations.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:07 PM   #27
hscmit
Have My Own Room

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by pektel View Post
There are some nice gel mats from bed bath and beyond that take away the discomfort most feel from standing on tile for long periods. Just get those and place them at the work stations.
how do they look?
Old 12-10-2010, 07:10 PM   #28
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

First Time I've Seen This Thread, Brother! Very Nice Work!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 08:44 PM   #29
hscmit
Have My Own Room

Bolivar

Thanks Greg