Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 08-10-2011, 07:00 AM   #21
CigarSquid
AKA Garryyjr

First Name: Garry
Trading: (39)
CigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Box VS Sampler

Im going to do a cooler.. SET!
CigarSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:48 AM   #22
Nathan King

I used to only buy singles ... until I found some cigars that were so consistently pleasing I had to have a box.

Old 08-29-2011, 05:52 AM   #23
alfredo_buscatti
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
alfredo_buscatti is on a distinguished road

Boxes are the only way for me to go. I get a hint of a new cigar I might like, usually off this board or in sales emails from my favorite discount e-tailers. Then I read three pages of Google output of reviews of a cigar, which usually nets me a half-dozen or so opinions that would seem reliable. Any cigar that costs more than $180.00 a box requires multiple rave reviews.

I almost invariably order from 1 of 2 discount e-tailers. Both operations get my orders right, charge me the price they said they would and ship same day if the order is in by noon; sometimes later.

The trouble with 5-ers, for me, is that while I can get a decent idea of whether I like the cigar or not from 5 cigars 50% of the time, the rest of the time it takes 5-10 cigars. For instance, the Don Carlos-I think it took 11 cigars.
alfredo_buscatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:54 AM   #24
Hippiebrian

I buy a lot of samplers. I'll buy boxes when I find sticks that are inespensive enough to stock up on that I like, but I do like having variety in my humi...
Old 08-29-2011, 08:19 AM   #25
Apoco
Nerd with social skills

First Name: Alex
Trading: (37)
Apoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the rough

Desktop -> Trunk style humidor -> trunk style humidor + 80 qt cooler -> trunk style humidor + 80 qt cooler + 60 qt cooler -> 6 feet tall, 5 feet wide, 2 feet deep cabinet humidor.

All that in under a year

It isn't a "steep slope" - it is jumping out of an airplane.
Posted via Mobile Device
Apoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:40 AM   #26
CigarSquid
AKA Garryyjr

CigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura about

Wow.. Busy. In a year, I have had my humi, 50ct and will be buying a cooler this weekend.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:21 AM   #27
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by garryyjr View Post
Wow.. Busy. In a year, I have had my humi, 50ct and will be buying a cooler this weekend.
Post pics and price if you don't mind.....everyone here has convinced me to get the cooler....now to convince the wife.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:30 AM   #28
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by garryyjr View Post
I just got mine started, I recomend the Shilala beads. I got one 8oz bag and put it straight into my cooler and everything has been perfect since day one.
I was concerned that I needed twice that amount, I PMd CigarNut and he said just put that in for now and see if I need more. It worked perfect.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:08 PM   #29
CigarSquid
AKA Garryyjr

I went with heartfelt. Should be here later this week. Wed or later, I will be on the search for a cooler. Im only going with a 52 or so quart.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:22 AM   #30
Crownedone
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Stephen
Trading: (0)
Crownedone is on a distinguished road

I currently smoke 2-3 aday, usually 1 bundle/1 premium. I always keep 2-3 different types of bundles to keep from smoking too much of one kind. some of My premiums are usually bought 1box at a time. These are often given out to friends. Most other premiums are bought in fivers or in samplers. I love samplers, I get excited to try a new smoke. Last month I smoked 30+ different smokes. Some were great, some were nightmares, but all were fun. Lastly I still go every week to hang and smoke at my local b&m.
Crownedone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:15 AM   #31
Brutus2600
Your resident lancerHO

First Name: Brian
Trading: (46)
LGC
Brutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura about

I will echo many sentiments already stated in the thread.

When I first started expanding my collection I would see GREAT deals on boxes, so I'd buy them. Well, turns out that one cigar I smoked or that review I read really didn't tell me how I'd like the cigar or not in the long term. Or they were a cigar I enjoyed a few of and then 6-8 months later I just didn't smoke as much of anymore.

Really what could have saved me money and humidor space, would have been to buy 5'ers of whatever cigar I was interested. Smoke them. Buy another 5'er if I still wanted to smoke that cigar. 10 cigars and a few months later if I'm still interested, then buy a box.

As it is I'm finally getting my collection down to what I like, enjoy, and still find myself reaching for to smoke regularly. Yeah, I have favorites and I also have some I don't reach for very often, but I'm glad I have boxes of them. Unfortunately I still sometimes fall for the "great deal on a box" trick and find myself with a box of cigars I don't enjoy as much as I though, but I'm getting better
Brutus2600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 12:20 PM   #32
madwilliamflint
Cigar n00b

First Name: Michael
Trading: (0)
madwilliamflint is on a distinguished road

Yep. I smoked samplers and 5 packs for about 6 months before I took the plunge on a box. I still rarely buy them.

But having the storage space (2 90 quart coolers) was instrumental in my comfort level. I've got one dedicated to box storage and the other for "rotating stock." Buying a box of something I love (Jaimes, PH681s, Ashtons, Olivas, CAOs) when they're not something I want all the time makes a lot of sense now that I can "put them down for a year" and just sorta pick at them.

Hmm... now that I've started wood working maybe it's time to build a chest for the coolidors rather than spend umpteen bagillion dollars on a huge humi.

Err... But yes. Smoke 5 packs of things you think you'd like a box of first. Hate to end up with 23 out of 24 sticks that you don't really like. Of course, rolling the dice is fun sometimes too
madwilliamflint is offline   Reply With Quote